How important would PS5 BC be to you?

Zenpai

I wouldn't mind BC for the sake of convenience but the lack of it wouldn't stop me from getting a PS5. I have room for 3 consoles at my desk so I guess the XBone will be going in the closet while the PS3, 4 and 5 stay if there's no BC with the 5.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, starcrunch061 said:

On that, we agree. Had XBox1 seen more success with its BC, there might have been a chance, but I don't think it made much difference for them after all.

Ya it was extremely too little too late. 

Porting isn't easy, especially with software emulation. I would be surprised if they hit 150 games by the time ps5 launches. Which considering what they've been putting out doesn't sound grand. They really needed to start 5 years ago :/

It won't be the deal-breaker for me. But what I would like is if the PS3 is completely backwards compatible with the PS5, as well as including your full PS3 download list on PS5, the reason I say this is because I am worried that Sony is going to discontinue PSN for PS3 whenever they decide to release the PS5. The only thing that will stop me from getting a PS5 on release date will be if Sony decides to pull the plug on PSN for PS3. While some people could be saying now "I think PSN is shared between all consoles", there's a high chance that PSN for PS5 will only be compatible with PS4 and PS5 while excluding PS3 and they could announce shutting PSN for PS3 altogether. There could well be a time where I stop playing PS3, but I'd still like to have the opportunity to download my PS3 games and play them and be able to sync trophies for them at any time in my life without having to worry about a company stopping that from being possible. It will also give me big trust issues with Sony, which will be why I wouldn't trust their consoles and would rather start playing on Xbox or PC, at least Microsoft has done their best to offer backwards compatibility for hundreds of games on Xbox 360 with Xbox One. But yeah, it won't be a deal-breaker unless Sony screws us over by closing PSN for PS3 as an entire network. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dav9834 said:

Oo ya definitely an option I could see them doing! 

Only thing I could think of is determining how many to manufacture on their end. 

I would buy that version for $600. That's the highest for BC I would go for a console. And it'd be possible to hit that number with the cost of the ps4 I believe. 

I still believe that psnow is their answer to BC though, and will be moving forward. 

I can assure that something like this will never, not in a billion years, even come remotely close to happening.

You can quote me on this if you want: I bet you my kidney that this won't happen.

3 minutes ago, Schwifty Swifty said:

I can assure that something like this will never, not in a billion years, even come remotely close to happening.

You can quote me on this if you want: I bet you my kidney that this won't happen.

Ha I'm definitely not betting on this one! 

As far as BC it's really the only one that wouldn't hurt Sony financially in the short or long term. 

But that definitely doesn't mean it's going to happen. 

Like I said PSNow is what BC will/is. And I'm ok with that because it really works really damn well. 

I platinumed Dark Souls 2 on it. That says something about there being little to no lag. 

I just wish for universal saves states, instead of just in game saves. 

46 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

Ha I'm definitely not betting on this one! 

As far as BC it's really the only one that wouldn't hurt Sony financially in the short or long term. 

But that definitely doesn't mean it's going to happen. 

Like I said PSNow is what BC will/is. And I'm ok with that because it really works really damn well. 

I platinumed Dark Souls 2 on it. That says something about there being little to no lag. 

I just wish for universal saves states, instead of just in game saves. 

Sony, in this regard, is acting like a huge moron. With PS5 BC they could keep up digital sales for PS4 games with zero effort and only profit in the long-run. I can see why they get get hard about PS Now, I mean, just look at the price point. But this isn't consumer friendly in the slightest, and sooner or later they will land on their nose with this again. ...just like the good ol' PS3 days.

Why not have the option with BC to buy old games and keep them and still offer the Netflix-like PS Now service?
They should just offer both, you know, like a company that acts like it fucking cares.

Edit: And god damnit, if I read another ''BC MAKES CONSOLES EXPENSIVE !11!1!!'' comment I'll lose it. Ever heard of Software Emulation? Do you guys even know why the PS2 Hardware was included in the technical clusterfuck that we know as PS3?

Smarten up bevor you type, please, for the love of god. (Not aimed at you @Dav9834 if it wasn't obvious. I think, I didn't read all the comments lol)

Edited by Schwifty Swifty

7 hours ago, Schwifty Swifty said:

Did you try really hard to get offended, or does it just happen naturally to you? 1f602.png

Edit: It's bad enough you think what you said makes any sense, but that 2 people liked this blows my fucking mind.

Nope, not in the least bit, but thanks for asking. ?

1 hour ago, Schwifty Swifty said:

So I don't really have a horse in this race.. buuuut.. I do like collecting kidneys - bet's on xD 

• Like 1

I have around 400 PS4 games so I'd be pissed if Sony decided to make the PS5 non BC. In all honesty in this age of emulation, there's no excuse to not have it. In the case of the PS3, I could understand but that excuse won't hold water now. I'm still pissed at the Sony Euro exec who basically said "No one wants to play old games". PS5 should offer support for the PS1, PS2, and PS4. They should also keep all PSN purchases valid through the console as well because I shouldn't have to buy games I own all over again

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Warlord99956 said:

Exactly right. If they made a console that could keep up with a high end pc it would cost (unsurprisingly) as much as a high end pc. Console gaming is gaming for the masses and as such needs to be affordable so the tech will always be a few years behind to keep the price down. Personally, I would be happy if there were higher tiers of consoles. For example a Ps5 standard and a much more expensive ps5 pro that was closer to a pcs power. It would be a relatively small market though and would cause problems with game development with such a big difference in specs. If Sony released a £3000 console as a ps5 and no cheaper option most people would be priced out and sony (and game developers) wouldn’t be able to survive with such a reduced number of players

Problem is console players arent demanding. How much do you really think the Ps4 cost? to make. Sony is making truckloads of cash from us. If consumers were demanding they would still have to push higher quality but still keep it at a price they can sell even if it means making less. I do hope there is a Ps5 pro from the start. Maybe one with better hardware like simply RAM and HDD will do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, N3xmach-ina said:

Problem is console players arent demanding. How much do you really think the Ps4 cost? to make. Sony is making truckloads of cash from us. If consumers were demanding they would still have to push higher quality but still keep it at a price they can sell even if it means making less. I do hope there is a Ps5 pro from the start. Maybe one with better hardware like simply RAM and HDD will do.

Yeah. The majority of players are just casual though and are not interested in specs or pushing for higher performance. They are just happy that it looks reasonable and runs well enough for the couple of hours a week that they play. Serious gamers are in the minority on consoles. 

It would be nice to see different models with different hardware options like you mentioned though. The question is how much performance difference can you get away with between models before the basic system can’t run some of the more demanding games properly

• Like 1

4 hours ago, N3xmach-ina said:

Problem is console players arent demanding. How much do you really think the Ps4 cost? to make. Sony is making truckloads of cash from us. If consumers were demanding they would still have to push higher quality but still keep it at a price they can sell even if it means making less. 

They were selling the ps4 at a loss to hit the initial price point. I expect them to do the same with ps5

Little to not at all honestly. When the PS4 came out, I only had a couple games that were out on PS3 that I hadn't gotten to yet and I just kept my PS3 for them. I don't have as much time as I used to for gaming so I really don't have time to go back and play games from years ago again.

In my opinion BC would be really important for the PS5, with at least PS4 games.

First and foremost at the PS5 release, there will be only a handful of new games available in the first few years, but with BC there would be thousands of playable games from the start.

If the next gen Xbox console will come out with BC (which is very likely) and the PS5 wont, then xbox might get an advantage in sales, what Sony cant really afford.

Also BC with PS4 and maybe PS1-3 games might put an end to this stupid HD Remaster game re-release trend.

I would be furious if the PS5 came with no BC and game companies would start remastering PS4 games for PS5, just that they can sell us the game again at full price...

Two other reasons for BC: convince and old games running in better quailty

By convince, i mean that you dont have to keep multiple consoles under the TV, you can run your old and new games on 1 console.

By better quality i mean that with the extra horsepower of the PS5 old games could run in higher resolutions or framerates. Developers could  add a PS5 patches for their PS4 games, but it would be just an option, like the BC system on Xbox One X, where they just released a patch for Red Dead Redemption, which now runs in native 4k and its a massive improvement over the original X360 version.

• Like 1

It is extremely important and deal breaker to me. Seeing that Xbox side already state that they are going to keep this idea moving forward being Xbox/360/1 playable on future console (and that's a point of DIGITAL library) Sony will have to match that.

PS5 should be full PS4 BC at very least if that is not the case, what's the point of having digital library then? also GaaS game that popular at that time on PS4 need to keep up and maintain their user.

I do hope they also support PS3/PSVita Emulation on PS5 since they seems to discontinue support on original device (From PS+ announcement months ago) hope this is the sign that they plan to merge them into new console so they just don't have to have multiple PS store on old device for easier MA. i still need to play them an earn the trophy. Still dont know the fate of those online game saves for PS+ when it eventually discontinued. It will be make sense if PS3/Vita are BC so i can download my save into PS5 and continue playing. 

Come on guys it's year 2020 (my prediction) and you guys can't emulate almost 15 years console without spend too much effort ??? Is this a joke ? While hacker throughout the internet can emulate it, you own the techonology but can't do it ?? It is not possible except for business decision.

If PS3/Vita/PS4 are not keep up with BC. I think we must think twice before buying game digitally because when the time comes, we lose access of those game we purchase even the company still there not shutting down.

If PS5 launched with 2SKUs : No BC and with BC (add +$100) i will be with BC all the way even it's +200

Edited by FielVeredus
  • Like 2

On 4/12/2018 at 8:59 AM, Terra said:

Considering that the Xbox One is backwards compatible with some original Xbox games, I think Sony should be able to do the same thing using the method Microsoft is using. Sure it doesn't play games off the disc and just downloads a digital copy but it could work with PS4 and PS3 titles. However, I've had a PS4 since 2015 so I'm not really ready for a PS5 at the moment. Since PS3 lasted a good ten years, I'll wait till 2023 to make a proper judgement 

Actually XBone BC does allow you to use your original disc if you have one. When Black was released I popped my original game in to play it.

26 minutes ago, majob said:

Actually XBone BC does allow you to use your original disc if you have one. When Black was released I popped my original game in to play it.

What they originally stated is true, it doesn't play off the disc, you put the disc in the console and it downloads a digital version of it

• Like 1

On 4/14/2018 at 11:58 AM, FielVeredus said:

If PS5 launched with 2SKUs : No BC and with BC (add +$100) i will be with BC all the way even it's +200

Just what I was thinking right now.  Maybe a PS5 Pro that would have enough power to software-emulate PS3 games, while allowing PS5 games to be played with higher graphic settings.  Hopefully the architecture stays similar enough to PS4 to allow native BC with that.

it would be cool and more convenient but I personally couldn't care less. I don't sell my hardware so its easy to play the games I want whenever I want. Besides, BC never even includes every game so why would I settle for less than I can get?

That said, its an option I wouldn't turn down and would be appreciated. 

It would be literally the only thing to make me buy it day one. And BC with PS4 wouldn't mean shit to me, I mean proper BC with AT LEAST the entire library of PS1 and PS2 discs playable out the gate.

Considering the only thing my Wii U was ever used for outside of CoD and Mario Kart is the hidden built in GameCube emulator,

and that I have a fatty PS3 that still gets regular use as a PS2 machine at least once a week,

and that of the 150 something titles I have installed on my Xbone, over 100 are BC titles,

and BC is ENTIRE reason I bought an Xbox One at all (which I've done twice now),

Yeah, it's pretty fucking important to me.

Like I'm good with Xbox and Switch. I got 3 generations on one console in one, and the best portable console of all time packed to the brim with amazing games and superb ports in the other. Why would I need to buy another PlayStation?

On 12-4-2018 at 3:38 PM, Dav9834 said:

Besides it's faster for them to make a game compatible with psnow than to make it work through a software emulation right on the console. 

Not sure why, but it is.

Basically because of what I said in my earlier post. If you have a (virtual) PS3 system that you can stream video from to a PS4 and send input to over the internet, you're basically done. Picking games to add is more a comercial endeavour than it is a technical one at that point. And some might work better than others because if a game has input lag to begin with, PS Now is probably not going to make it better.

Heck, I used the same idea once to let some online buddies control my RC cars over the internet. Webcam on the track + the controller hooked up to an Arduino and the internet: done! Unfortunately, quite laggy so not really playable :D

Edited by pinkrobot_pb

On 12/04/2018 at 11:47 PM, SnowxSakura said:

How is it greedy to not include extra hardware that increases the overall cost to the consumer? If you want greedy, go back to the launch ps3 price

Considering the PS3 was still selling at a loss until about three years into its life cycle, I'd say it was expensive, but still not greedy at all. The internal PS2 was also jacking up the price, but they were basically just giving us what we wanted and only got rid of it to make it more affordable after not many people bought the console in its first years.

The PS3 was basically just a result of a bit of overambition, but I'd say it still paid off in the end. For example, the Blu-Ray player was also one of the reasons it was more expensive than the Xbox 360, but it more than paid off in the long run. The PS3 is probably the biggest reason the format won against HD-DVD. People also forget that while the X360 was significantly cheaper, it also launched in an extremely barebones state - namely because it didn't have wireless connectivity or even HDMI output.

The only thing "nefarious" with the PS3 is that they knew from the start the Cell processor was extremely hard to code for (despite also being quite powerful, nevertheless), but they went with it anyway because they were hoping publishers would just give their platform priority and then not have enough resources to make the ports for their competitors.

• Like 1

BC wouldn't be a gamebreaker, but it would be a pleasant addition. I normally don't buy the new console until a year or so in once all the bugs are fixed and they have a reasonable number of games.

I wouldn't be against them having something like PSnow as its backwards capability, but only if it is expanded massively to include ALL PS1, PS2 & PS3 games from the outset, with PS4 games being added sporadically. *Plus trophies for every single one of them*