Another Difficult Platinum.

Nexuds121

On 8/3/2018 at 2:02 AM, soniq said:

What's scary about that? It's a product of it's time. All I really remember are a handful of references to other videogames, but nothing that I would describe as an overabundance of memes.

Agreed, I only just played the first one and didn’t find it aged or dated at all. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/27/2018 at 9:13 PM, aZombieDictator said:

The memes are what makes Guacamelee Guacamelee. 

I disagree.  They are just window dressing in the background, which I appreciate, but also boggles my mind that people complained about them.

• Like 1

Definitely harder than the first. Probably didn't help myself by doing 1 playthrough, given some of those optional fights were pretty hellish on Hard, but a lot of the platforming is considerably harder than anything the first game has to offer. 25% platinum for this whilst Guac 1 is 10%, gotta love the power of PS+.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2018 at 8:15 AM, Dark_Raven666 said:

Definitely harder than the first. Probably didn't help myself by doing 1 playthrough, given some of those optional fights were pretty hellish on Hard, but a lot of the platforming is considerably harder than anything the first game has to offer. 25% platinum for this whilst Guac 1 is 10%, gotta love the power of PS+.

How does PS+ make Guacamelee any better? 

2 minutes ago, ShadowSigmaX said:

I believe he meant the Gauc 1 plat is rarer due to Guac 1 being given out as a part of PS+ awhile back.

I know, but trophy percentage =/= difficulty. 

Bloodborne is a difficult game for how high the percentages are. Then there’s stuff like Dust: An Elysian Tail that is a lot more niche, but has a relatively easy platinum despite it being very rare.

12 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I know, but trophy percentage =/= difficulty. 

Bloodborne is a difficult game for how high the percentages are. Then there’s stuff like Dust: An Elysian Tail that is a lot more niche, but has a relatively easy platinum despite it being very rare.

That's exactly my point, that just because first is considerably rarer doesn't mean it's harder than the second. It was a precautionary statement for anyone who might think it's easier due to the percentage.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2018 at 7:58 AM, Dark_Raven666 said:

That's exactly my point, that just because first is considerably rarer doesn't mean it's harder than the second. It was a precautionary statement for anyone who might think it's easier due to the percentage.

I was shocked to see this at 30% today after putting it down a while ago after getting stuck in a particular room probably about 30% of the way through the game. I think the game is balanced around the multiplayer and if you have people to play with you for the tougher bits it makes them easier from what I hear. Playing solo is pretty damn hard. 

• Like 2

On 9/17/2018 at 10:02 PM, LunchCannon54 said:

I was shocked to see this at 30% today after putting it down a while ago after getting stuck in a particular room probably about 30% of the way through the game. I think the game is balanced around the multiplayer and if you have people to play with you for the tougher bits it makes them easier from what I hear. Playing solo is pretty damn hard. 

Unravel 2 has the same setup. Very difficult to get some of those trophies on your own, but much easier in co-op. 

Guacamelee allows for other players to join, and this sequel is no different. If the games were truly single player, I don’t think as many people would of had trouble. 

Keep in mind about that on games that seemingly have high percentages but have a co-op multiplayer element. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I played the games out of order. Got Guacamelee! 2 since it went on sale, and just now wrapped up the platinum on Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition.

From what I can re-call, Guac 2 was way more difficult yet it has a platinum rate of 33.21% while Guac 1 is at 9.90%. Now, I only played the games like 2 months apart so maybe playing the more challenging difficult game made Guac 1 feel way easier but damn I didn't expect that great a difference in the percentages. I know it was available for free for PS+ users but still - that big a difference is surprising. Guac 2 also had way more trickier challenge rooms and hell if it didn't ask for a run to be done on Hard Mode (unless you do the konami code) the plat rate would be at around 43% which is crazy in my mind.

Ah well, both are splendid fantastic games. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 19.7.2019 at 5:22 PM, realm722 said:

I played the games out of order. Got Guacamelee! 2 since it went on sale, and just now wrapped up the platinum on Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition.

From what I can re-call, Guac 2 was way more difficult yet it has a platinum rate of 33.21% while Guac 1 is at 9.90%. Now, I only played the games like 2 months apart so maybe playing the more challenging difficult game made Guac 1 feel way easier but damn I didn't expect that great a difference in the percentages. I know it was available for free for PS+ users but still - that big a difference is surprising. Guac 2 also had way more trickier challenge rooms and hell if it didn't ask for a run to be done on Hard Mode (unless you do the konami code) the plat rate would be at around 43% which is crazy in my mind.

Ah well, both are splendid fantastic games. 

Yeah both games are awesome. But only 6k+ people played guacamelee 2 (on psnprofiles). So it isnt surprising that the percent of the platinum is higher.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Guacamelee 2 has simplier trophy list and has challenges included in DLC just as Guacamelee!, so it should be compared to Guacamelee! rather than Guacamelee! STCE where you needed to master the challenges for a plat. So you are comparing 33.47% plat of G2 with 15.73% G1 plat. Still over 2x times more common but you get the point.
  • While Guacamelee 2 is pretty cheap now for $8, there are cheapier games to buy "to try", so it was bought mostly by G1 fans. And they are much more prone to complete the game.
  • Co-op possibility helps much in raising the percentage, because a) enemies don't have more health and other players respawn after death, game is considerably easier except of platforming sections; b ) only the host gets the trophies, so there's no other players who raise the platinum percentage.

My thoughts about this platinum percentage being so high.

Edited by Spinosaurus Rex
  • Like 1

I haven't played the second one yet so can't comment on it, but the first I felt was easy in terms of how forgiving it is.

1. The controls were very tight and responsive to the point you could alter your movement mid air very reliably compared to other platformers. In fact due to this I found ways to cheese or skip some puzzles then their intended solution. (The goat fly later makes alot of puzzle rooms ridiculously broken later if you couldn't complete them before with the suggested method.

2. The game is hugely forgiving with its fights. Always checkpointing you right before them (any where you cannot progress farther until beaten). Having enemies always spawn in the same location (you can use this info to separate certain enemies early or even use attacks to throw enemies on platforms above.

4. A pretty gracious dodge mechanic that recharges quickly on frames, skills like goat fly or derpaderp that can just harass enemies without them touching you once.

5. Near infinite juggles, intesimo mode that makes everything from fights to boss battles ridiculously easy.

6. Skins that can buff players.

7. Throw damage that makes other enemies throwable creating one of those near infinite juggles.

8. Challenges that are mostly build on speed or just reaching an end.

9. Restarting on the last platform touched instead of death when pit falling.

10. As mentioned already enemies that don't really change between easy and hard or number of players. Sure they have more health and deal more damage on hard mode. But there's no new attacks and ways to beat them easily still. Also worst comes to worst on a solo run you can use a second controller as a free spawn in most rooms with platforms or punching bag for enemies. (There's also many areas made easy due to death falls that instant kill enemies.)

Its not like ti didn't have its hard parts most games do have a couple or few. But with how overly gracious they were with things I can't call the game hard. I mean imagine if everytime you played  Castlevania  instead of falling to your death the game just threw ya back on t e platform like here have another go. It's some extreme handholding. 

• Like 2

On 23.08.2019 at 10:21 AM, Lord_Bane999 said:

Its not like ti didn't have its hard parts most games do have a couple or few. But with how overly gracious they were with things I can't call the game hard. I mean imagine if everytime you played  Castlevania  instead of falling to your death the game just threw ya back on t e platform like here have another go. It's some extreme handholding. 

There's a difference between a difficulty made because of lack of checkpoints and difficulty coming from purely hard sections of the game.

If Guacamelee would wipe your progress of the location you are after 3 deaths (or falling into a pit), it'd ramp the difficulty several orders over games like Castlevania. It'd be very cheap difficulty increasement, just like in NES games where "checkpoint starvation" existed only to increase longetivity of the game.

Angry Video Game Nerd made a video about Castlevania and he was shocked about one moment's difficulty where you had to evade medusa's heads and axes thrown by armors. This is a joke if you compare it to some of the modern platformers, but when you know death means starting chapter from the beginning, it was something that could make you nervous, so it's completely understandable why he felt this way.

On 27.08.2019 at 8:08 AM, Spaz said:

If this sequel has sections like that Tule Tree portion in the first game, this will be quite the challenge. 

Just bought this from the sale. Plan to play and finish it around mid-September.

It has more sections like this, and hard difficulty increases speed of moving hazards. Besides, almost every chest is hidden behind a platforming/fighting section. So you know what to expect.

But overall it was not so bad, I generally become frustrated pretty easily and I started to become annoyed with the game near final boss on second playthrough of hard. G2 is objectively harder than 1, but veteran players of G1 will have an easier time in G2 than newcomers in G1. That's how I feel it when I played both games.

It's as good as the first one and you won't be disappointed. I'd gladly stack this game again just as the first one.

5 hours ago, Spinosaurus Rex said:

Angry Video Game Nerd made a video about Castlevania and he was shocked about one moment's difficulty where you had to evade medusa's heads and axes thrown by armors. This is a joke if you compare it to some of the modern platformers, but when you know death means starting chapter from the beginning, it was something that could make you nervous, so it's completely understandable why he felt this way.

Castlevania 2 was the first episode he made. It was very cryptic, so I don’t know how the game plays in the Castlevania Collection. 

A lot of people don’t understand that those NES games were made extremely difficult to try to add a level of replay ability. Most of the NES library is made up of games that have not aged well. If you’ve watched a fair sample of the episodes Angry Video Game Nerd has done you would know this firsthand. 

I grew up on stuff like Kirby’s Adventure, Super Mario Bros 3 and Batman. All presented a fair challenge that didn’t overdo the difficulty factor. Some of the indie games nowadays are a lot more difficult than the ‘fair’ NES games we played some 25+ years ago. But they definitely give you a lot more chances than the ‘hard’ NES/SNES titles of old. 

5 hours ago, Spinosaurus Rex said:

It has more sections like this, and hard difficulty increases speed of moving hazards. Besides, almost every chest is hidden behind a platforming/fighting section. So you know what to expect.

But overall it was not so bad, I generally become frustrated pretty easily and I started to become annoyed with the game near final boss on second playthrough of hard. G2 is objectively harder than 1, but veteran players of G1 will have an easier time in G2 than newcomers in G1. That's how I feel it when I played both games.

It's as good as the first one and you won't be disappointed. I'd gladly stack this game again just as the first one.

That’s what I’ve heard. 

Most of everyone who played Guacamelee 2 played the first game. The high rarity percentages for most trophies presents a bit of false security. Some people automatically assume that the trophies are easy, but those who played the game tell me Hard difficulty is more difficult than it was in the first game. That trophy is around 33 percent on PSNPROFILES, which is rather high for a difficulty specific one. 

I’ll likely play this in the coming weeks.

• 5 months later...
On 01/08/2018 at 7:48 PM, Nexuds121 said:

Normally, I would say easy platinum. But this might be a tricky one. So you guys getting Guacamelee 2 and how would you rate the difficulty at? It's a great game. 

So far i'd give about 4 or 5 on hard, some sections are tricky, just completed the jade temple pollo key... immensely satisfying bit of platforming, been a while since a game has made me memorise what to do that fast

Almost all of the platforming is easier imho, never really struggled with it in STCE but Tule Treetops was a hell of alot easier

Not done Javier yet so maybe that'll bump it up to a 6-7

4 hours ago, Turbobuddah said:

So far i'd give about 4 or 5 on hard, some sections are tricky, just completed the jade temple pollo key... immensely satisfying bit of platforming, been a while since a game has made me memorise what to do that fast

Almost all of the platforming is easier imho, never really struggled with it in STCE but Tule Treetops was a hell of alot easier

Not done Javier yet so maybe that'll bump it up to a 6-7

The Crucible could easily bump this up to a 7 or 8 for some people, just got through it all and some of the parts had me raging but it was mainly down to controls not registering properly... the sliding on my controller seems off ?

Actually found this harder than the first

• Like 1