Introducing PlayStation Classic, with 20 Pre-Loaded Games

Aranea Highwind

Distinct lack of the two best PS1 non-Spyro and non-RPGs here: Klonoa and Tomba/Tombi.

A handful of worthy classics present, a few too many questionable inclusions (Rainbow Six?), and way too many defining PS1 experiences not allowed to play (Wip3out or 2097 to music licensing, Spyro / Crash for the remake income explosion, Ape Escape for lack of DualShock, Gran Turismo for car licensing, etc.). Just highlights Sony’s decision to make PS4 the only platform in PlayStation’s history incapable of playing PS1 games all the more disappointing.

Edited by nemoflouri

I'm surprised at the omission of any Crash Bandicoot or Spyro the Dragon game. I mean the former was the closest thing the PS1 got to a mascot, and together, they were some of the most iconic characters on the console too.

It's good to see Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil: Director's Cut, and Syphon Filter added to the lineup. It's a shame that Japan got Parasite Eve but we didn't. Overall I think the final lineup is fine, but I can't get the fact that it comes with an original PS1 controller instead of a DualShock out of my mind. Quite a bizarre decision.

4 minutes ago, Stargazer2600 said:

Kinda pointless when I can go to ebay and buy the games and turn around and play them on my ps1, ps2 or ps3

I guess it's for people that don't want to pay over 100 dollars just to play the crappy first persona game, especially if they've played the much better remake on the psp

lol, everything that catches my eye is already on the PS Store and can be played on PS3 and Vita.

No more money for these stupid SJWs, not until they delete their censorship policy.

• Like 1

The list looks decent enough for both regions. Sure there are some curious omissions and a couple of weird choices. I didn't know Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six was on PS1. I played that one on Dreamcast time ago and even then I thought it was super archaic so I cannot even fathom how the PS1 version would play nowadays lol Other than that, mostly cool games from the era that everyone would recognize.

I am not getting this though. I think the mini-console craze is not my particular cup of tea. I have heard rumors Nintendo is coming with an N64 mini too. I was an N64 kid back in the day so I might check that one out when I know more about the games but even then, my excitement for these type of products is on the low side.

3 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

Battle Arena Toshinden

• Cool Boarders 2
  • Destruction Derby
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • Intelligent Qube
  • Jumping Flash
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Mr Driller
  • Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
  • Rayman
  • Resident Evil Director's Cut
  • Revelations: Persona
  • Ridge Racer Type 4
  • Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
  • Syphon Filter
  • Tekken 3
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six
  • Twisted Metal
  • Wild Arms

Japanese List

Here is the Japanese PlayStation Classic game list:

• Arc the Lad
  • Arc the Lad 2
  • Armored Core
  • Biohazard Director’s Cut (Resident Evil Director’s Cut)
  • Final Fantasy VII International
  • G Darius
  • Gradius Gaiden
  • Intelligent Qube
  • Jumping Flash 
  • Megami Ibunroku Persona: Be Your True Mind (Revelations: Persona)
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Mr. Driller
  • Parasite Eve
  • Ridge Racer Type 4
  • SaGa Frontier 
  • Super Puzzle Fighter IIX
  • Tekken 3
  • Toshinden (Battle Arena Toshinden)
  • Wild Arms
  • XI [sái] (Devil Dice)

giphy.gif

• Like 1

No Legacy of Kain, Bushido, Vagrant Story, Warhawk, Tekken 1or 2, Brigandine, Final Fantasy Tactics, Lunar or Ogre Battle? No Streetfighter Alpha but instead Super Puzzle Fighter? And what the fuck is Mr. Driller and Intelligent Qube?

In my opinion they got some right (FF7 and MGS are mandatory) but damn,  there were a lot of opportunities to make this list so much better. I'll stick with my discs . . .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bullstomp said:

No Legacy of Kain, Bushido, Vagrant Story, Warhawk, Tekken 1or 2, Brigandine, Final Fantasy Tactics, Lunar or Ogre Battle? No Streetfighter Alpha but instead Super Puzzle Fighter? And what the fuck is Mr. Driller and Intelligent Qube?

In my opinion they got some right (FF7 and MGS are mandatory) but damn,  there were a lot of opportunities to make this list so much better. I'll stick with my discs . . .

They're both puzzle games.

Oh crap, they have the nerve to put revelations persona on it. This was one of the most notorious localization botch jobs of all time. They changed several characters races and personality(most notorious making a character that was originally white the most ghetto wannabee black guy you can imagine), several story elements were changed, and worst of all they removed the snow queen route(which isn't a mere sidequest, its large enough to be 20-30% of the game on its own). Atlus themselves is embarrassed by this hackjob so its surprising that they would even considerputting this one over persona 2 eternal punishment(which actually has a decent enough localization unlike persona 1 ps1)

53 minutes ago, Caesar Clown said:

Square Enix absolutely hates the series. It's the only Eidos property they refused to give even the most basic remaster to (they updated all the Tomb Raider and Thief games back on the PS3/Xbox360 days).

That Japanese list looks so much better. 

That's amazing to me. It was the first major title that let you play the bad guy and the voice acting and story is still better than many games.

Legacy of Kain/Soul Reaver deserves a reboot. I don't buy many games Day One but I would preorder the collector's edition on that title.

1 hour ago, SnowxSakura said:

They're both puzzle games.

So at least three puzzle games out of 20. Wow, I don't even know what to say about that . . .

8 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

I guess it's for people that don't want to pay over 100 dollars just to play the crappy first persona game, especially if they've played the much better remake on the psp

See idk about persona but grand theft auto, twisted metal and a few others are literally $10 and under

Hell I already own 4/10 of the titles listed

Edited by Stargazer2600

I was intrigued, until I saw the featured games trailer. I can't believe the graphics were that bad because my memory has the PS1 as HD-like quality, in comparison to the Sega Genesis. 

I played some of these games when they came out and none has a nostalgic feel, that say Super Mario 2 or Mike Tyson's Punch Out has to me. Siphon Filter was fun 20 years ago, but replaying it would be aggravating with how clunky the gameplay was.

1 hour ago, SnowxSakura said:

You'd be looking at paying around 150 bucks for persona complete

fuck that. The most I ever payed for a PS1 game was $75 for Dragon warrior VIII and thats only cause that was like the only game me and my older brother ever completed (god rest his soul).

I mean if someone wants to fork over money for this for persona then more power to em but in the words of Randy from American Idol, "I'm out dawg"

1 hour ago, Lance_87 said:

I've just read again the western list, and holy s**t... Persona Revelations for the PS1 is released for the first time in Europe. It was US/JP before.

Maybe because it was released for PSP in all territories?

It's also a hot piece of trash, 20% of the game(the snow queen route) was completely removed among other censorship and localization changes