Beta FW 6.10 live - PSN ID Change Feature now available

Suminya

5 hours ago, Miku Maekawa said:

Hide contents

Not all games and applications for PS42122.png, PS32122.png, PS Vita, and other PlayStation00ae.png systems support the Online ID change feature. If you change your Online ID:
• You may lose access to content (including paid-for content) that you have acquired for your games, including content like add-ons and virtual currency.
• You may lose your progress within games, including game saved data, leaderboard data and progress toward trophies.

Umm, thanks but no thanks. I'm not risking losing anything through a name change. I'll just create a second account instead for free. 

Wait, what? It's a Beta? We have to wait until it's truly release to have the right to complain? LOL they didn't even bother fixing the download queue and you think the PSN ID change will automagically be 100% compatible with old content after leaving the Beta. FFS you don't know Sony.

Edited by Lance_87
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Sly Ripper said:

6 months

Ahh this is good news, I was under the impression that your original name is permanently tied to your account in some way. 

This could mean that it is theoretically possible for us to buy names from other users. 

Could be all cautionary speak since it's a beta and they expect a few people to have issues.

But that being said, even if there were chances of accounts losing things, why not have a system where you can create a new account and merge your old account to carry over trophies, saves, friends list, purchases, etc?

So far from people in the beta said they haven't noticed anything lost.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Death_Ninja said:

Could be all cautionary speak since it's a beta and they expect a few people to have issues.

But that being said, even if there were chances of accounts losing things, why not have a system where you can create a new account and merge your old account to carry over trophies, saves, friends list, purchases, etc?

Good to hear so far.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, weh2cat said:

Was thinking to change ID and just knew there are load of risk to change it. O_O

Sony sometimes mess up sth so no thanks, at least not for now.

Yeah I'd wait till after the beta at least. This whole thing screams of "Bad things MIGHT happen as of right now", it's a test after all. So just let others test it out and gather their observations and info and go from there.

It's a good idea especially if you're into trophies (or you know, don't want to lose the things you paid for) to just hold off and observe first.

19 minutes ago, Death_Ninja said:

Is there an official discussion somewhere? Like Reddit? Tell them to try very old PS3 games like Ridge Racer 7.

Just now, Lance_87 said:

Is there an official discussion somewhere? Like Reddit? Tell them to try very old PS3 games like Ridge Racer 7.

Feedback forums only available to beta users. But yeah you'll most likely get their info from Reddit in the coming days.

Honestly PS3 and Vita games make me wonder if that's what they are talking about with running into issues. Because that's a very good question, Lance.

2 hours ago, TheLakota said:

You should never, ever consider changing your name.

Heheh thanks :lol:. It was just a thought but thanks to Sony's shenanigans I'm not even remotely thinking about it anymore. 

And I don't get it. Why would people sign up for this as beta testers if there are all of these risks. 

I understand that coding it might be a giant hastle because of the cascading effects it can have but then it would've been better to keep name changes discreet until they finally figure it out. 

P.S: that BJ Penn avatar is badass. 

• Like 1

This is a beta test...obviously they need to work out the kinks. No im not going to participate even if they chose me. I've got way too much digital goods to risk it at this stage. Hopefully by release sometime next year 2019 Itll be better.

Wow, so it's actually true that you might actually lose purchases and save data by changing your name, that's crazy... Although admittedly, it did sound worse the first time I read it, and I'm sure Sony only put that in there to cover their ass. It might actually be a rare occurrence.

From what I can tell, your digital game library should be okay, it's just stuff like in-game currency that might get affected (and I guess proper add-ons too?). I initially thought trophies could be affected, but they only say "progress towards" trophies which comes under the whole save data thing. Any trophies you've previously earned should be fine. I'm worried about the whole "parts of your games and applications might not function properly" thing. I wonder if there's a way around that like deleting your save data for it or something. Either way, it definitely seems wise to hold off changing your name until we know the full extent of what exactly is affected.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, PooPooBlast said:

P.S: that BJ Penn avatar is badass. 

Thanks! He's been a favorite of mine since he first claimed the welterweight title from Hughes. He hit legendary status in my eyes after the Joe Daddy fight which, coincidentally, is the match in which this photo was taken following that bloodbath IIRC.

On topic: When I first sat down to make a PSN account after booting up my Fat PS3 I wanted the name "Lakota" as it was often a handle I used online. Even if that name were to be available now, I still don't think it'd be worth it for me to change given I've been, well, me for over a decade now.