Beyond Good & Evil 2 will be always on

MidnightDragon

I'm not even convinced this is a real game that exists yet.

I've been far from impressed going off what I've seen in the trailers, and this piece of news is yet another reason for me not to care. Who actually wanted this game? I'm no fan of the original, but it strikes me as odd that they finally start development on a sequel that they've been teasing for years yet it barely even resembles the first game at all. I get that the original game had a niche fanbase and they want to expand that, but I don't think this is the Beyond Good & Evil 2 people were asking for. What next? Lootboxes?

Edited by Undead Wolf

This has been the most disappointing ride, I just wish we could get off and junk it. Maybe go back to working on Wild instead, Michel Ancel? I’d really like to see more of that, because it doesn’t crush dreams like turning the sequel of one of the greatest gaming experiences of my life into ... whatever this is. Some sweary-mary, Luc-Besson hot take, mmo-lite.

Edited by aprinaut

43 minutes ago, Max654 said:

There goes the sequel so awaited by fans for over a decade... to finally be an always-online game and be sent to back oblivion when the servers shut down!

I HATE so much games completely playable solo that requires online! All this hard work will be for absolutely NOTHING in the very end! Good luck playing this game years later...

This “Live service” trend in solo games must stop!

Being a "Live service" doesn't automatically make it a bad game or bad for fans of the old BG&E. 

When the servers shutdown? you're getting ahead of yourself. The game isn't even out yet. The servers shutting down may be an eventuality(Why not complain that you're going to die and everything is pointless?(Be a real nihilist.)) but it's nothing to fret over pre-launch or soon after launch.  So it might not be a game you can go back to 25 years after its release. Try having fun while it is accessible.

This doesn’t surprise me one bit, devs are moving more towards ‘always online’ games so they can add cosmetics and the like. Not saying that’s specifically what they’re doing to this, but it’s becoming commonplace. Always online games are becoming favored especially because it’s easier to push hotfixes than it is to submit full patches. 

Hopefully it being ‘always on’ doesn’t tarnish the game, as long as their servers are stable and don’t constantly crash, it’s all good! The best ‘always online’ games are the ones where you can’t even tell whether you’ve been connected to a lobby, they just go. Let’s hope that’s the case here too!

Edited by Hoagie324

Had great hopes for this game when it was first announced.  Then I saw the trailer with the alien GTA ape, had heavy doubts but still, I wanted to believe.

This announcement shows that faith was misplaced.  I tend to avoid 99% of online games as they pretty much just want to find a way for me to pay them more money and this doesn't look like it will be any different. Here's hoping that someday we get a real follow-up to BG&E, a true single player experience.

Games as a service ultimately serves no one but the publisher's bankers...

Edited by Kevvik
  • Like 1

We are in 2018 2019 and people are still getting angry about games being "online only"?

I'm sure that "online only" aspect won't interfere with a "single player" experience -_-

...but hey, for each their own I guess

Edited by Sydoki

11 hours ago, Max654 said:

There goes the sequel so awaited by fans for over a decade... to finally be an always-online game and be sent to back oblivion when the servers shut down!

I HATE so much games completely playable solo that requires online! All this hard work will be for absolutely NOTHING in the very end! Good luck playing this game years later...

agreed.

8 hours ago, Sydoki said:

We are in 2018 2019 and people are still getting angry about games being "online only"?

I'm sure that "online only" aspect won't interfere with a "single player" experience -_-

...but hey, for each their own I guess

Well, in fairness, a lot of people in the US still have crappy Internet that isn't made for this sort of thing and, due to monopolies, can't get better.

Edited by Spyro
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Max654 said:

It really must. Look at Diablo III, which has always online DRM in the PC version, but not on console.  This is exactly why I bought D3 on PS4 but not PC. There's no need for that bullshit.

IS2G, Doom Eternal better not do it.  Despite it having the invasion feature, you still can disable that & stay in a true SP mode.

Forced online is pointless unless the game is MP only.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gameoverDude189 said:

It really must. Look at Diablo III, which has always online DRM in the PC version, but not on console.  This is exactly why I bought D3 on PS4 but not PC. There's no need for that bullshit.

IS2G, Doom Eternal better not do it.  Despite it having the invasion feature, you still can disable that & stay in a true SP mode.

Forced online is pointless unless the game is MP only.

The only BS with Eternal would probably be the Bethesda.net Launcher exclusive, on PC. Hopefully i'll get it on PS4 so whatever. I'm still hopelessly waiting for the DRM removal on D3 for PC lol. Otherwise i'll just live with it, or grab the Eternal Collection on PS4 and be too lazy to replay it because let's be realistic, the game's done and gone.

8 hours ago, Spyro said:

Well, in fairness, a lot of people in the US still have crappy Internet that isn't made for this sort of thing and, due to monopolies, can't get better.

To be fair, not all online games require the same bandwidth and speed. It's not like the game will be streaming graphics or audio to your console. 5mb up/2mb with a below 50ms ping is enough for a game to send and receive location data/updates to a server with stability.

4 hours ago, Lance_87 said:

The only BS with Eternal would probably be the Bethesda.net Launcher exclusive, on PC. Hopefully i'll get it on PS4 so whatever. I'm still hopelessly waiting for the DRM removal on D3 for PC lol. Otherwise i'll just live with it, or grab the Eternal Collection on PS4 and be too lazy to replay it because let's be realistic, the game's done and gone.

I am praying that Bethesda doesn't require that new launcher for Eternal.  I plan on buying both versions, but would like to stick with Steam for the PC one.

If I had to choose between always online DRM or Denuvo on a PC game, I'd take the latter.

Let's hope Ubisoft isn't going to use always online for every new game.  For Honor also requires a constant connection even on PS4.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2016/12/for_honor_will_require_an_internet_connection_on_ps4

Always online on PC is bad enough... but on consoles it's even less justifiable!