Can someone explain Flash Sales to me?

Varhur

So, what i do know about those, is that they're mini-sales that last for weekend. Though i don't understand why it seems like i don't have them. Many games that i saw that are on sale right now, stay at the normal price. Is it because that they're region locked? If yes, can someone tell me, if there were any flash sales in Polish PS Store?

23 minutes ago, Cobby said:

They sometimes do one for Black Friday.. (why is there no White Friday by the way).. But yeah.. It's an American thing cos they get all the good shit.

I just checked the Store of my country (not the US), and it has a Flash Sale. So yes, Flash Sales are an American thing.

• Like 1

I believe this is because a lot of Americans are impulse buyers (myself included). Seeing as other Western countries have it it may be a Westerns culture thing. Flash sales give the buyer a sense of urgency. Game they think looks cool on sale for a good price, better buy it before the deal is over! Customers are now less likely to read reviews or watch more than just the release trailer. Be cautious of flash sale games as many are not well received. Some on the other hand are, but just need a boost in sales. Do your research. 3 days is plenty of time 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Viper said:

When Flash Sales first started they were supposed to be a surprise sale no one saw coming (hence the name), and you were supposed to get things for a lot cheaper than you would an average sale...I still remember one we had where nothing was priced above $.99, that was an incredible sale. 

But over time you realized they were monthly, and the sale itself just became no different than any other sale. Personally I'd rather have those DLC sales mentioned above, because I need Season Passes for several games.

The .99cent sale is where my ps3 digital games went thru the roof

• Like 3

On 1/20/2019 at 11:27 AM, ElBolovo said:

That one was in March 2015 and is still talked today. Sony should've taken a hint and do another one already. 

Wait, wasn't there several 99 cents sales? I thought it use to be a common thing every January-ish

On 1/20/2019 at 10:58 AM, jordan199311 said:

I believe this is because a lot of Americans are impulse buyers (myself included). Seeing as other Western countries have it it may be a Westerns culture thing. Flash sales give the buyer a sense of urgency. Game they think looks cool on sale for a good price, better buy it before the deal is over! Customers are now less likely to read reviews or watch more than just the release trailer. Be cautious of flash sale games as many are not well received. Some on the other hand are, but just need a boost in sales. Do your research. 3 days is plenty of time 

yeah most of the time they're just pages loaded with junk these days. i still get excited for flash sales, but when i scroll through them i get more and more depressed each page lol. every now and then they have the occasional gem or few. but a majority of the time i come out buying nothing. like the one we just had looked incredibly awful. its mostly the same games that are games that aren't worth it. usually anything listed in them that are good i usually already have, because again, they mostly add the same games every time.

• Like 1

The fact that you still go through the pages of the sale says the opposite of what you claim. 

If it's always junk now, then why keep looking? Why keep buying?

I don't see the sales on PSN any differently than the sales I see at Best Buy, Walmart, Kroger, or DSW. There's going to be pages of stuff and I *might* find a couple things that suit my tastes or I probably won't. No need to curse a sales event that I didn't want to spend money on.

Edited by TJ_Solo

5 hours ago, Kittet3 said:

Wait, wasn't there several 99 cents sales? I thought it use to be a common thing every January-ish

I'm pretty sure it's not, sometimes there is one like "Under 5", "Under 10", but .99 or less I can't remember. Let's hope that you jinxed it for good and they drop one this Friday.

50 minutes ago, ElBolovo said:

I'm pretty sure it's not, sometimes there is one like "Under 5", "Under 10", but .99 or less I can't remember. Let's hope that you jinxed it for good and they drop one this Friday.

What people will neglect to mention is that the .99 flash sales were mainly centered around PS3, PSP, and some older Vita games around the time the PS4 generation began transition to the forefront. If there will be another .99 sale then look for it around a year or 2 after the PS5 launches.