New to the series - Could use some advice

Crispy_Oglop

So recently I caved and bought the KH multi-pack on the PSN which (I think) includes all KH games including the latest release. I'm also currently building my 2019 gaming playlist (I'm so behind on this :( ) and would love to set myself the goal to platinum all KH games before 2020.

One thing I hear alot of in terms of feedback on the series is that the story is really difficult to follow unless you really go deep and even then it can be a little tricky to get a handle on.

Story is a super important aspect of gaming to me - so to any long running KH fans out there - if i played all the games chronologically, would I have a good idea of the story? Or are there any other things I should be paying attention to like books or comics etc? If I commit to this - which looks to be a good couple of hundred hours of time collectively, I want to make sure I do the series justice and do it right.

Any guidance would really help me out!

Edited by Crispy_Oglop

I don't think you could go wrong either way. Chronological and release both have their advantages.

1 hasn't aged super well IMO and CoM just isn't that great. So starting with those two vs. going back to those after playing better ones, is what the choice should come down too.

Edited by KingGuy420

If you want to follow the series story in order then you are in for a long ass ride here is the definitive order to play them in (Chronologically) 

• Kingdom Hearts χ Back Cover

• Kingdom Hearts χ[chi]

• Kingdom Hearts Unchained χ

• Kingdom Hearts Union χ[Cross] (iOS and Android only) 

• Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep

• Kingdom Hearts

• Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days

• Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories

• Kingdom Hearts II

• Kingdom Hearts coded

• Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance

• Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth by Sleep -A fragmentary passage-

• Kingdom Hearts III

Some of the mobile games are released as videos to watch like 358/2 days, Coded and Unchained X for example usually around 3 hours long.

alternitivly you can watch this video and it will explain everything and you can just skip all the games and play KHIII because it pretty much sums it up. I skipped 2.8 and played every other Kingdom Hearts games on the various consoles they released over the years so this is what i did to bring myself up to speed and familiarise myself. 

28 minutes ago, madbuk said:

Playing the games is enough to understand the story, and it really isnt as complicated as people say. The order I'd recommend is 1 -> Re:Chain of Memories -> 2 -> 358/2 Days -> Birth by Sleep -> re:coded -> Dream Drop Distance -> Birth by Sleep 0.2 -> Unchained Back Cover.

Release order is better than chronological because chronological will end up spoiling later games at times.

It's only complicated if you don't play the games some people dismiss as unimportant.

I agree with this order.

KH3 does do some work to reference things more than needed in the [originally] handheld games. "remember when this", or "we did that" type of references.

Id really suggest playing in the release order for the gameplay evolution. Recoded and 358/2 days are only movies in the ps4, unless you have the ds versions

story is not hard to follow if you play everything

only recoded’s story can be skipped it ties up one plotpoint amd is referenced only twice in KH3. 

36 minutes ago, madbuk said:

Playing the games is enough to understand the story, and it really isnt as complicated as people say. The order I'd recommend is 1 -> Re:Chain of Memories -> 2 -> 358/2 Days -> Birth by Sleep -> re:coded -> Dream Drop Distance -> Birth by Sleep 0.2 -> Unchained Back Cover.

Release order is better than chronological because chronological will end up spoiling later games at times.

I agree with this more or less, as in, playing 1 and then 2 is fine to start off with, then playing the others to fill in the gaps is good.  Though going from 1 to Re:Chain of Memories, then to 2 would be best, since that at least is a proper sequel in a sense (as in, 2 essentially follows after what had happened in CoM and CoM follows right after 1 does).  Then of course other games are also good to play like Birth By Sleep afterwards to see how that fits in, same with Dream Drop Distance as well.

And luckily enough, the others ones like Days, coded and Unchained are added in via cutscene movie stuff so you also get filled in with those games.  I think Union Cross so far is the only one that hasn't really been thrown into the console side via cutscenes, so looking that up on the internet to get an idea would be best too if need be.

3 hours ago, DarkSoleride said:

• Kingdom Hearts χ Back Cover

• Kingdom Hearts χ[chi]

• Kingdom Hearts Unchained χ

• Kingdom Hearts Union χ[Cross] (iOS and Android only) 

• Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep

• Kingdom Hearts

• Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days

• Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories

• Kingdom Hearts II

• Kingdom Hearts coded

• Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance

• Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth by Sleep -A fragmentary passage-

• Kingdom Hearts III

I plan to play it in this order, started BBS a few days ago. Saw this list as 'the chronological order' on a few websites so I guess that's correct. 

I would say that you should just enjoy the spectacle, and don't think too much about the story. 
It may not be complicated for those that have set themselves properly into this franchise, but it's definitively overwhelming for newcomers.
But in the end, you ought to do it the way you see right.

Edited by Zarmatura93

On 2/7/2019 at 3:18 PM, Zarmatura93 said:

I would say that you should just enjoy the spectacle, and don't think too much about the story. 

That's how I approached KH3 after only playing some of 1 and 2 without touching any of the spinoffs. Watched the Memory Archives that come with KH3 and decided that the overarching story is simultaneously too convoluted and childish for me to care. 

22 hours ago, Killbomb said:

That's how I approached KH3 after only playing some of 1 and 2 without touching any of the spinoffs. Watched the Memory Archives that come with KH3 and decided that the overarching story is simultaneously too convoluted and childish for me to care. 

It really isn't that convoluted though. It isn't really the game's fault that prople refuse to play any of the "spinoffs" - of which there are actually 0, as every game is important.

It's like reading book 3 of The Lord of the Rings, book 7 of Harry Potter, book 3 of Hunger Games, etc. without any of the others.

You only have yourself to blame really.

• Like 2

On 7/2/2019 at 9:55 AM, madbuk said:

This, the best way to play the games is in the order that they were published, so you must start for the very first one, not from the chronogical order.

On 7/2/2019 at 1:28 PM, dermarx said:

I plan to play it in this order, started BBS a few days ago. Saw this list as 'the chronological order' on a few websites so I guess that's correct. 

Don't , don't play in that way, you must start from KH1, even if BsB is before KH1 is ruins a lot of things from KH2 and Chain of memories

Edited by FlareZero
  • Like 1

Thank you so much for all the time and help you put in to contributing to this thread everyone. The resource links and videos were also super welcome, this has really helped me figure things out. Based on everyone's input i've decided to build this into my 2019 playlist.

As for the order to play it in, i'll definitely refer back to this thread to figure out the best sequence of play nearer the time when I crack them open properly. You all rock!

Edited by Crispy_Oglop