Arcesius' Pursuit of Completion

Arcesius

Very nice checklist, probably the only one I’ll ever reply to. I’m glad you seem to be enjoying vermintide, I’ve yet to miss Floris streaming it for me so I’m always up to date on your progress! You can always ask something when you’re playing and I’ll answer it in the stream to the best of my knowledge. 

You all seem to be improving in Legend now which is really good. Doing playthroughs from recruit-legend is totally not worth it. I’d say 2 including legend is enough. Champion won’t prepare you for legend at all since wave frequency and damage makes all the difference, so veteran or recruit is a good start just to know how to generally play. I’ll hop in tomorrow when you guys play, maybe you can finish the Ubersreik DLC!

Fyi; when you jump into the legend miscs, I recommend the easier ones first like Athel Yenlui. We’d generally do a run on recruit first so we know how the trophy works for legend, it helps quite a lot with the not so obvious requirements. Also don’t be too daunted by the weaves scaling to cata 2. Your max power will be higher, like over 700 iirc. The early cata 1 weaves are more like legend difficulty for the base game.

Enjoy the slaying!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, ZoutjeNL said:

Good job on the End is Nigh! Looking forward to your review. Also well done on your progress on Divinity that game is indeed packed with content... it might be a little too slow for me but I see the appeal. Also Vermintide looks interesting... another ultra rare is it just grindy or hard too? Hard is basically your second name so I mean... you love challenge :D

Thanks man! I see that you are also playing one of Edmunds games... Man, how often have I thought about going for Isaac.. Hope you enjoy it! 

As for Vermintide... it is not grindy at all other than getting all characters to lv 30. There were 2 weeks of 3x XP though, so that saved us 20 hours of grinding :) And while we are still learning the game, it is really way more complex than I thought going in... Watching gameplay I had the impression that you just mindlessly slay hordes of enemies, but damn it's sooo much more than that! Definitely rather skill-intensive, requires a good party of 4 to get most trophies, and incredibly fun... 

22 hours ago, KN_Kirai said:

Yes, the problem with this matter is that it's too much generalized and people tend to not condone the act even for the stupidest things which really aren't worth discussing, and the result is people telling each other off on how they play games.

19 hours ago, Mori said:

When there's one thing I learned through the years on PSNP, then it is to not waste your time on trying to convince people on anything by arguing with them. People wont change as long as they have the feeling they need to defend themselves (or their opinion).

How many threads were created about leaderboards, easy plats, people using glitches etc. How many of them had an everlasting impact or effect on anyone? These threads just serve one purpose, seeking validation for ones own opinion. Anyone who disagrees just sucks ass and is [insert fancy namecalling].

That is absolutely true. Judging a strangers choices just doesn't make much sense to me. How can I assume to know why a person I've never met chooses to play what they play? Who am I to state that Leaderboards are objectively shit? I mean, all I can say is that I personally don't care for them, that I choose to avoid Rata games because I don't play primarily for my trophy count, but I would never state that my view is what should give this hobby any objective value. 

Still, you go into any such discussion stating your views and opinions, and you have some people agreeing with you, and many more just putting you off as an elitist gatekeeper. Well fuck off then, I just stay away from those discussions now. Mostly at least :)  

I still believe that this checklist is one of the best things on PSNP. Embracing and overcoming the challenge is much more powerful and convincing than arguing about the same topics for the 100th time. It's no coincidence that this checklist is among the most popular on PSNP.

First of all: ❤️

Secondly, that's of course how I feel personally as well, but it's also the reason why this checklist attracts the people it attrackts. All of you contributing here, stating your opinions, discussing games here.. you all share certain aspects of what you enjoy in this hobby with me and with each other.. you are either completionists, like to challenge yourselves, share a certain (unhealthy) love for indie titles, etc... If you go read other checklists, there are plenty of other users lurking and contributing there as well that probably check on this list and don't find anything that interests them personally... 

And to be honest, when I started this list, I would never have thought, and never dared to hope that it would be eventually so well received and that it would really enable me to find such great people :) And meanwhile this checklist has a different meaning to me personally than it did initially. It is more than just a place where I write reviews and updates.. it is my personal space on this forum where I can talk about games with people that appreciate similar aspects of this hobby. 

I should probably rename the checklist to "Arcesius' Hideout" or something :D 

18 hours ago, Darkette said:

Very nice checklist, probably the only one I’ll ever reply to. I’m glad you seem to be enjoying vermintide, I’ve yet to miss Floris streaming it for me so I’m always up to date on your progress! You can always ask something when you’re playing and I’ll answer it in the stream to the best of my knowledge. 

You all seem to be improving in Legend now which is really good. Doing playthroughs from recruit-legend is totally not worth it. I’d say 2 including legend is enough. Champion won’t prepare you for legend at all since wave frequency and damage makes all the difference, so veteran or recruit is a good start just to know how to generally play. I’ll hop in tomorrow when you guys play, maybe you can finish the Ubersreik DLC!

Man, thanks a ton! Really appreciate the nice words :) 

As for the streams.. Yeah, I can hear Floris type away at his keyboard, I always assume he's chatting with you :D You already helped us out during the session on a couple of occasions, so thanks a lot! 

The goal for today is probably to do Weaves 16-20 and then finish the Ubersreik DLC... Not sure what we will do after that, but improving in Legend definitely is making the game even more fun than it was before.. Once we get to the main game challenges, we might need to ask for your advice on which ones to do first! 

One thing that we are not entirely sure about.. I read that when the Season ends, only the progress from Weaves 41+ is reset (as they are shuffled), but 1-40 stay the same... that means that we can do weaves 1-40 without having to be afraid that the season will end before we manage to do all 80, right? Do you know anything about this?

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

One thing that we are not entirely sure about.. I read that when the Season ends, only the progress from Weaves 41+ is reset (as they are shuffled), but 1-40 stay the same... that means that we can do weaves 1-40 without having to be afraid that the season will end before we manage to do all 80, right? Do you know anything about this?

The original plan FS had in mind was to reset all your essence/athanor level and gear etc, as well as a full wipe of the weave leaderboards. They got a lot of heat about that and now it’s just as you said, a reshuffle after 40. That does mean you should be safe after the reset but it also means 41-80 will be weaves you haven’t seen before. Usually 1-40 is the exact same as 41-80 and 81-120 etc, so you’ll only see the more difficult version of that if you play the new season after 40. I think this season has only been around for a month on consoles though, but their consistency is awful, it can be from 3.5 to 5.5 months long. 

I think there shouldn’t be many overtuned weaves now, the crashing has certainly been fixed at least. Back when we did it in season 1, if a combination of 2 gunners or flame rats shot at once then it’d be a guaranteed blue screen. It made things a lot more awkward. :l You can use this spreadsheet to see your weave layout for when season 4 releases If you like. It’s not as useful since they renamed the end arenas into something more vague, but it gives you an idea. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1w_yNcXgwttM6mepgOYBsGJeR6jW76bN4A_IyiHhsLzc/htmlview#

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Arcesius said:

If you read all of the above: Sorry for what must be a very confusing post 1f605.png 

Played Vermintide 2 on PC and it is a great coop game, best if you stick to the same group. Unfortunately, my friends fell off that game and I haven't been motivated to go back. I'm going to try to convince my console playing friend to play it on PS4 perhaps.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's been a long time since I played Bioshock 2 and Bioshock Infinite so I can't provide you any tips for their trophies.

Only game on your backlog I've completed is 10 Second Ninja X. It's not a bad platformer, it was done on a small budget as most indie games are but I feel it'll be worth your while. A bit better than Pumped BMX+ in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Arcesius said:

However, now that you mention my backlog... shall we have a look? 

WbrDUeK.png

How did you do that thing to see your backlog? ? Is it something premium-only or something along these lines?

Also, could Divinity be played solo? Your review interested me very much in getting it on the future, but I don't have any friendos to play it with, LOL.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BRKs_Eagle said:

How did you do that thing to see your backlog? 1f62e.png Is it something premium-only or something along these lines?

Also, could Divinity be played solo? Your review interested me very much in getting it on the future, but I don't have any friendos to play it with, LOL.

I created a custom list and added the games to it :) You need to use @HusKy's self-implemented PSNP+ add-on that you can find here! It's a fantastic add-on that keeps getting constant support. I mostly use it for custom lists, but there are also features regarding boosting sessions, guides, etc... 

As for Divinity... Absolutely. You can control up to 4 characters, and if you play with other people you can assign them one or multiple characters to control. I could recommend that game even if you were going to play it solo, I don't think there is much that you would be missing by doing it alone other than the conversations with your coop partner :) Sure, you won't be able to split up and go to different places at the same time (though you can split up your party), but that doesn't make the game less good. 

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Buff, this has been a stressful couple of weeks… 1f610.png  And I don’t know guys. I enjoy writing these reviews, but even with the new format (that should make it easier to just put these out quickly…), I’m still struggling to keep up! (Although I finish games at a snail’s pace, so I shouldn’t have to struggle...) I have three reviews pending, and two games that I will probably finish within a weeks time: The Surge 2 and Broforce.

I have been thinking about simply closing my thread, but I cannot bring myself to do so… But I might need to approach things a bit less ambitiously in the future, I dunno 1f605.png

For what it's worth, I really enjoy reading your reviews of all the games that you play.  I think that you do it in a really neat and unique way from others that I read. Not to mention, you always find a way to add stuff to my completely to long back log of games that I want to play.  ??.  Definitely understand that things get in the way though, and its tough to want to spend what seems like already limited free time on writing up reviews, not to mention trying to get them out in a timely fashion.  Either way, congrats on the platinum.  

~TC 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Buff, this has been a stressful couple of weeks… 1f610.png  And I don’t know guys. I enjoy writing these reviews, but even with the new format (that should make it easier to just put these out quickly…), I’m still struggling to keep up! (Although I finish games at a snail’s pace, so I shouldn’t have to struggle...) I have three reviews pending, and two games that I will probably finish within a weeks time: The Surge 2 and Broforce.

I have been thinking about simply closing my thread, but I cannot bring myself to do so… But I might need to approach things a bit less ambitiously in the future, I dunno 1f605.png

I found that I like to write about the games that I actually enjoy or really hate. Haven't played a game I actually really hate in a long time though. I enjoy reading your reviews and understand if you want to stop, but I would say try sticking to writing about the games that excite you (like Vermintide 2). I tend to gloss over games I finish that were meh, as writing about them is time consuming.

• Like 1

Nice checklist you've got here, Arcesius! Those reviews are very in-depth and people seem to love it. Though I can totally understand your perspective "on the closing" part, as writing these reviews can take up a lot of time. Back when I used to write on my checklist I was in the same boat. Writing reviews could take me hours and often times it felt more as an obligation. All together I started noticing I wasn't enjoying it as much, so I switched some things around. I ended up writing more selective reviews. Things I truly enjoyed I would go very in-depth on them, but things I enjoyed less (or smaller games) I would either not write about, or write very little about. In the end you don't have to write an entire page for every single game you play. A small sentence can already be enough. Additionally you can always present your thoughts in a different format. Personally I love to create videos. So when I can combine writing with video/audio the whole process becomes a lot more enjoyable for me! These things really helped me to find enjoyment in it. I think that's most important here. To find something that you enjoy and that works for you. Hope that helps :D

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Arcesius said:

• Hyper Light Drifter
  • Nex Machina
  • Little Nightmares
  • Action Henk
  • Crypt of the NecroDancer
  • Dead Cells
  • Guacamelee 1 & 2

Action Henk looks brutal for trophies but fun overall. Where would you rank it difficulty wise with the other games you have played? Hyper Light Drifter also looks pretty sweet.

Considering getting Action Henk anyways at that price. Even if I'm not good enough for 100%, I think I can get all golds if I try hard enough.

Just read your review of it, you don't make it sound too tough, but of course coming from you that can mean it's extremely hard still. ?

Edited by Grotz99
Found the Action Henk review
  • Like 2

On 25.2.2021 at 11:23 AM, Floriiss said:

Nice checklist you've got here, Arcesius! Those reviews are very in-depth and people seem to love it. Though I can totally understand your perspective "on the closing" part, as writing these reviews can take up a lot of time. Back when I used to write on my checklist I was in the same boat. Writing reviews could take me hours and often times it felt more as an obligation. All together I started noticing I wasn't enjoying it as much, so I switched some things around. I ended up writing more selective reviews. Things I truly enjoyed I would go very in-depth on them, but things I enjoyed less (or smaller games) I would either not write about, or write very little about. In the end you don't have to write an entire page for every single game you play. A small sentence can already be enough. Additionally you can always present your thoughts in a different format. Personally I love to create videos. So when I can combine writing with video/audio the whole process becomes a lot more enjoyable for me! These things really helped me to find enjoyment in it. I think that's most important here. To find something that you enjoy and that works for you. Hope that helps :D

Thanks Floriiss! You are absolutely right, I just don't want it to feel like an obligation, which it definitely can. I tried to make it easier to put out the reviews by changing my format to have the fixed sections you see in the later ones (The Pitch - The Best - The Worst - The Challenge), but it is still not always that easy to write down everything I want to say... 

But sure, you are right in that not every single review needs to be endlessly long, and I could definitely see myself just writing more just about the games I really feel like writing more about, and keep it short with other games. 

Thanks for the nice feedback! :) 

On 25.2.2021 at 6:43 PM, Grotz99 said:

Action Henk looks brutal for trophies but fun overall. Where would you rank it difficulty wise with the other games you have played? Hyper Light Drifter also looks pretty sweet.

Considering getting Action Henk anyways at that price. Even if I'm not good enough for 100%, I think I can get all golds if I try hard enough.

Just read your review of it, you don't make it sound too tough, but of course coming from you that can mean it's extremely hard still. 1f61d.png

Hyper Light Drifter is not that hard, but it is among my favorite games, so I hope you got it in the sale! 

As for Action Henk.. It depends who you ask and, most importantly, how much you enjoy speedruns. Let me put it this way: @BB-BakkerJ just recently got the plat in Super Meat Boy, and he put that one in the same league as Action Henk. Personally, I found Action Henk quite a bit easier than SMB. The difference? BB has stated several times that he does not enjoy speedruns all that much. I adore them. So I would assume that we struggled more or less equally with Action Henk, but I might have noticed less since I enjoyed going for better times. (BB, do you think this might be true?). 

Let me put it this way.. It is not extremely hard, but it will make you learn its advanced mechanics if you want to shave off miliseconds off your PB. It is a game that I believe deserves being sub-1%, but it is also a lot of fun and for the price it is being offered for, I'd certainly recommend it! :) 

12 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

Let me put it this way.. It is not extremely hard, but it will make you learn its advanced mechanics if you want to shave off miliseconds off your PB. It is a game that I believe deserves being sub-1%, but it is also a lot of fun and for the price it is being offered for, I'd certainly recommend it! :) 

It's worth mentioning that following a video guide with voice over (there's a good one for each level on YouTube) cuts down the difficulty dramastically. Most of the games mechanics arent explained at all in the tutorial so having a guide really cut the difficulty down to a maybe 6-7/10.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arcesius said:

As for Action Henk.. It depends who you ask and, most importantly, how much you enjoy speedruns. Let me put it this way: @BB-BakkerJ just recently got the plat in Super Meat Boy, and he put that one in the same league as Action Henk. Personally, I found Action Henk quite a bit easier than SMB. The difference? BB has stated several times that he does not enjoy speedruns all that much. I adore them. So I would assume that we struggled more or less equally with Action Henk, but I might have noticed less since I enjoyed going for better times. (BB, do you think this might be true?). 

Well, I judge difficulty by how much time I need to spend practicing a difficult trophy. I consider myself an average skilled gamer so for hard games I need to invest a lot of time. I don’t consider Action Henk as a speedrun game at all, but as short time trials, which I definitely enjoy. I had a lot of fun shaving of those milliseconds of my time to get Rainbow Medals.

Really, only full game speedruns are not for me. Like 30 min.+ speedruns. It destroys all the fun I have in games as I like to take things slowly.

Now the second hardest AH level took me 4-5 hours and the hardest one 8 hours of practice. Safe to say, because you mostly restart early in a run, I’ve played those levels hundreds of times. Those are 30-45 second levels. Impossible Boy in SMB took me around 15 hours of practice but it’s a 9 minute Iron Man run. So therefore I consider it the same difficulty. More or less ?. Maybe Action Henk is slightly easier, but not much imo.

But the game is awesome so I recommend it to anyone. Picked up 10 Second Ninja X just recently because it’s made by the same developer ?.

Edit:

And a quick thing about Hyper Light Drifter. The Dash Eternal trophy is pretty difficult imo. Also took me many hours of practice. The reason I think it has such a high completion is due to scripts, same as with FFIX Jump Rope trophy.

Edited by BB-BakkerJ
  • Like 2