Thank You, Ratalaika Games

HouraiTeahouse

7 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

But someone can form an opinion on a game they’ve never played, and have admitted to having bias against... m’hmm.

I mean I literally just said that I'm sure not all of the games they publish are crap, but okay. All I know is that the vast majority of people aren't buying these games for their high quality.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ProfBambam55 said:

-snip-

I agree with the casus and conclusion you have written. since it's about human psych I wouldn't put it into categories that easily, but I guess you covered a lot with those.

However there is only one factor missing though and that is the publisher. You can kinda compare this to the lootbox controversy, where it is basically financed on an addiction of sorts.

Like lootbox controversy a huge amount of gamers don't care and would say 'just let people buy/play what they want'

However there are still people opposing it? Why is that? It shouldn't be a problem for them, but only for the addicted?

Now think about why and eventually you can actually kinda make a connection to this issue as well.

Your conclusion probably won't change because : " I can accept that there are a ton of gamers with a ton of differing philosophies...i don't really see an end to debates like the one in this thread though because of one important thing: choice...sony, devs, and sites like this one are not forcing anyone to play anything in any manner... "

This is pretty general for any kind of discussions really and we don't see sites/sony really change it anytime soon. But it can potentially help you/people understand..

Edited by Bumperklever

Can someone explain this to me. When does a game get a different region? I feel the stacking is problematic. Big games hardly ever have different regions (yet are sold worldwide). They don't even have EU and NA seperate. I get it makes people buy the game several times, but what are the requirements that Sony puts on it? I feel there's no difference when it comes to these easy games. Do they somehow by pass Sony's requirements to be considered a different region? Or are the requirements super minimal to begin with?

Edited by JayVR82
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bumperklever said:

I agree with the casus and conclusion you have written. since it's about human psych I wouldn't put it into categories that easily, but I guess you covered a lot with those.

However there is only one factor missing though and that is the developer. You can kinda compare this to the lootbox controversy, where it is basically financed on an addiction of sorts.

Like lootbox controversy a huge amount of gamers don't care and would say 'just let people buy/play what they want'

However there are still people opposing it? Why is that? It shouldn't be a problem for them, but only for the addicted?

Now think about why and eventually you can actually kinda make a connection to this issue as well. :P

But then again your conclusion probably won't change because : " I can accept that there are a ton of gamers with a ton of differing philosophies...i don't really see an end to debates like the one in this thread though because of one important thing: choice...sony, devs, and sites like this one are not forcing anyone to play anything in any manner... "

But it can potentially help you/people understand..

The error that you and others are making is that you’re treating this as a zero sum game and that if one developer goes in one direction all other must follow. 

We’ve seen time and time again that population drives the demand of games and it’s not viable for a AAA game developer to go the route of Ratalaika. Even AAA games with relatively easy trophy lists aren’t 20-30 minute games. 

Also lootboxes can’t really be compare to ezpz games. Lootboxes fall under gambling in certain regions of the world and minors are not allowed to gamble. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bumperklever said:

I don't know; experience would be a first, people with analytical thinking/ deduction skills that can easily translate stuff they had heared/learned from other people converted to an summarized opinion could be a second. Also not listening to somebody that has not played the game due to not having played the game is also a shit way of thinking. You could be totally biased about a game you played and then an outsider said well this game looks like shit or has the standard microtransaction fiasco and calls it out. Would you, completely ignore or actual think 'oke fair point' and then proceed..

True that, the core games doesn't have to be bad. But the 'final product' has a certain (trophy) problem eh? I feel sorry for the devs if I do not buy there game, but hey then they shouldn't have gone with ratgames..

Then the final product will be shit, but the core game ain't.

It is not just that he’s not played the game, it’s that he’s openly admitting to hating the publisher. And he’s already flip flopped from “shit” to “some may be fine”. Because his individual opinion is entirely based on business practices of how trophies are handled. Which is hardly comparable to loot boxes and such. I mean, I doubt any government is ever going to get involved in trophies like they have actually abusive practices. 

I thought the argument was the game came first and we should play games for the game. and trophies were bad. Thus easy trophy games were bad, because the games were shit and only being sold for trophies. Now I’m being told that the trophy design makes an otherwise fine or good product bad? 

So which is it? I am genuinely confused. So Super Meat Boy would be a “bad product” if it gave you a plat after the first world or sooner? How many gamers do you actually think would agree with that attitude? I’m willing to be very few.

edit; to be clear. As a trophy hunter I get the “this game was fun, but the trophies ruined it for me” attitude. I’ve felt it. However, this is an individual issue. That only affects a minority of people, us trophy hunters. Even beyond that it’s subjective how much or little the trophy list ruins something.  I don’t think trophies make something a “bad product”. I think a bad trophy list simply is a bad trophy list and can impact overall *fun*. Not the actual quality of the game. Or at times make issues a game had already more apparent (Everybody’s Gone to Rapture comes to mind). I think it’s a different issue entirely to the game’s quality. As is your level of enjoyment. I can acknowledge a game I dont enjoy is well made, they’re all different layers of gaming. /edit

And again, as others have said many times, trophies mean what you put in. If you don’t like easy plats, don’t play them and dismiss them when you see them on someone elses profile. Though why you’d care to invest that much energy into someone else’s pass time is beyond me. When I look at a profile of someone else it’s to compare our interests and how far we each got in the same games. The order of trophies of games we both platted.

I’m sure plenty scoff and think I’m a trophy whore for things like licensed games, stacking R&C, EyePet, but I don’t give a shit. I like them and don’t need validation from strangers about my digital rewards. I do it for my own enjoyment, even if at times it’s frustrating. My list is my primary gaming history since the PS3 era. Since I’ve mainly played on PlayStation. And that’s cool to look back on for me. If people think it’s shit because I got Daggerhood, that’s nice. I could not care less, but I’m unsure why they would care at all about my profile. And I’m unsure how it affects them and theirs. 

If anything, you’d think “shitty games” with “easy plats” would make your “valid” one better in comparison. If that’s how you think profiles should be viewed anyway, as some weird competition. 

Edited by Elvick_
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DDAM said:

The error that you and others are making is that you’re treating this as a zero sum game and that if one developer goes in one direction all other must follow. 

We’ve seen time and time again that population drives the demand of games and it’s not viable for a AAA game developer to go the route of Ratalaika. Even AAA games with relatively easy trophy lists aren’t 20-30 minute games. 

Also lootboxes can’t really be compare to ezpz games. Lootboxes fall under gambling in certain regions of the world and minors are not allowed to gamble. 

Your actually saying that the reason AAA studio's aren't going ratgames way is because there games are too big/ too long for even as basic of a trophies as for example metagal and therefore are not doing the same crap? please..

And then you write that lootboxes are banned (in Belgium) because of gambling so they couldn't be compared to ezpz games.. oh boy.

The controversy behind lootboxes looks exactly the same as this thread. Developers are, with lootboxes/ezpz games, financed on the gambling/trophy hunting addiction of others. Seems like a comparable topic.

14 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

-snip-

~Do what makes you happy :) ~

I agree with most people here, I think trophy hunting is a hobby everyone should aproach in the way they like. It would be boring if everyone were trophy hunting the same way. Although I think watching profiles with VN plats and stacks everywhere is a complete waste of time, it is just my opinion at the end of the day and you dont have to care.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Bumperklever said:

Your actually saying that the reason AAA studio's aren't going ratgames way is because there games are too big/ too long for even as basic of a trophies as for example metagal and therefore are not doing the same crap? please..

And then you write that lootboxes are banned (in Belgium) because of gambling so they couldn't be compared to ezpz games.. oh boy.

The controversy behind lootboxes looks exactly the same as this thread. Developers are, with lootboxes/ezpz games, financed on the gambling/trophy hunting addiction of others. Seems like a comparable topic.

~Do what makes you happy :) ~

Please rewrite what you’re trying to say cuz I have no idea. 

Im saying big AAA won’t follow what a single developer (as in one person not a company) is doing. Rata is not a trend setter, no way, no how. He’s porting games that were flash/mobile to consoles. His trophy lists tend to be simple because he’s a one man show and wants to make sure they work. He’s aware that some of his lists are way too fast and trying to correct that in the future releases. 

People were here against lootboxes for different reasons But mainly due to gambling aspect and locking features behind paywall, neither of the two are happening with this developer. Hell, people should be happy that Ratalaika isn’t adding DLCs to his games to “prey” on those hopeless trophy hunters that just can’t say no to the addiction of ezpz trophies. 

Edited by DDAM

1 minute ago, DDAM said:

His trophy lists tend to be simple because he’s a one man show and wants to make sure they work. He’s aware that some of his lists are way too fast and trying to correct that in the future releases.

His idea of not fast is still incredibly fast. He's aiming for 45 minutes per platinum. To me it makes no difference whether it's 5 or 45.

Plus the idea of wanting to make sure the trophies work doesn't really make sense when they stop around 10% into the game. You'd think before releasing a game on PSN you'd be required to make sure a game is reasonably functional with no game-breaking glitches, which would mean playing through the game in its entirety.

I don't get why he can't just be honest and say he's in it for the money and is able to test more difficult trophies but chooses not to. It's not like his audience cares about the reasons.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DDAM said:

Please rewrite what you’re trying to say cuz I have no idea. 

Im saying big AAA won’t follow what a single developer (as in one person not a company) is doing. Rata is not a trend setter, no way, no how. He’s porting games that were flash/mobile to consoles. His trophy lists tend to be simple because he’s a one man show and wants to make sure they work. He’s aware that some of his lists are way too fast and trying to correct that in the future releases. 

People were here against lootboxes for different reasons But mainly due to gambling aspect and locking features behind paywall, neither of the two are happening with this developer. Hell, people should be happy that Ratalaika isn’t adding DLCs to his games to “prey” on those hopeless trophy hunters that just can’t say no to the addiction of ezpz trophies. 

Yeah, adding expensive and/or difficult DLC trophies. Sorry but the thought makes me smile. Sadistic I know. xD

The games are mostly sold for the easy trophy list. The developer knows that, so that is not going to happen. The deleloper will not hurt his OWN business.

1 hour ago, damon8r351 said:

Alright. I have a full day off, Final Fantasy XIV is down for maintenance, it's raining outside, and I'm having a bad morning so I'm looking to take it out on someone here in the flame war of the day. Who's first?

My Mondays tend to suck, so let's try to end it on a high note.

Should I start off by comparing loot boxes to murder or do you want to skip the dancing around and passive agressiveness and get to the point where we just start calling each other stupid and either begin or end each post with "lol" or "lmao" to show how ridiculous we think the other person's posts are?

Hey man, I mean, I'm down for either. I got the Kerosene ready and a box of matches in my back pocket. You just got to give me the green light.

(All seriousness though, your post genuinely made me laugh so I gave you that oh-so important +1. Thanks for making my day.)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

My Mondays tend to suck, so let's try to end it on a high note.

Should I start off by comparing loot boxes to murder or do you want to skip the dancing around and passive agressiveness and get to the point where we just start calling each other stupid and either begin or end each post with "lol" or "lmao" to show how ridiculous we think the other person's posts are?

Hey man, I mean, I'm down for either. I got the Kerosene ready and a box of matches in my back pocket. You just got to give me the green light.

(All seriousness though, your post genuinely made me laugh so I gave you that oh-so important +1. Thanks for making my day.)

I mean, I was going to insert myself into this, but after reading a little bit and thinking it over, I've decided y'all need Jesus.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gommes_ said:

But it's not when talking about Ratalaika. I guess the majority does not play them because they are interested in the game itself but rather the trophies. There it's trophies first. Otherwise it's hard to explain gems like Little Adventures on the Prairie an others.

Please never call Little Adventure on the Prarie a gem

43 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Nobody has to play for rankings, unless you’re around Hakoom’s level and even then it’s not that grand. 

I mentioned a few times already, you have to pay more than once to get the stacks. There is of course the Vita to consider, hopefully you did some home brewing with it because otherwise you have to buy another Vita, thanks to Sony’s idiotic idea of keeping it to one account only. 

Most people will just opt for one region, and the Vita/PS4 stack they just consider to be a bonus. Then there are those who take it a step further and buy the stacks and make those region accounts specifically to raise that trophy count and level. 

People like to come on here and counter those who are making valid arguments against Ratalalika Games by saying “play the games you want” and other useful comments that don’t add anything of value to the discussion. I don’t think those who consistently stack games six times each with time stamps are playing them through to the end. The enjoyment is solely just in those trophies popping. 

Those Sound Shapes stacks I have were specifically and only for the trophies. I didn’t buy those other regions because I enjoyed the game, while I did enjoy it, Death Mode took the fun out of it. 

People have to be ignorant to say those stacks were purely just to have fun, because I can name 1000 other games that are more worth your time that don’t rely on trophies to get their audience. 

I agree with you, but....

every trophy hunter has his own goal, some people wanna reach 200 plats or whatever that number is, so they buy cheap games with easy plats to get there faster.

1 hour ago, Stan Lee said:

I just love how all these threads popping up are just drawing more attention to these games and thus probably generating more interest in them

Even funnier fact is that people starting these thread actually hate this company and wish them out of existence.

Brutal truth for y'all: video games, and especially hunting trophies are viewed as a shallow hobby by majority of people in the world that would consider collecting stamps, coins etc. more interesing and reason to be proud. Why do we have to fight here and start these gamer-vs-gamer flamewar instead of being proud of our hobby that's actually much deeper than just collecting some stamps or coins?

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Nobody has to play for rankings, unless you’re around Hakoom’s level and even then it’s not that grand. 

I guess they don't absolutely have to play Rat's stuff, but they do have to play some sort of easy stuff to reach top 500 or some decent rank. If that wasn't the case and people could get there through playing legit games then these sort of threads would not exist. 

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

I mentioned a few times already, you have to pay more than once to get the stacks. There is of course the Vita to consider, hopefully you did some home brewing with it because otherwise you have to buy another Vita, thanks to Sony’s idiotic idea of keeping it to one account only. 

Most people will just opt for one region, and the Vita/PS4 stack they just consider to be a bonus. Then there are those who take it a step further and buy the stacks and make those region accounts specifically to raise that trophy count and level. 

Creating alt accounts really isn't that hard. Buying the game multiple times is kind of annoying but shares exist and if it's an Asian stack then it's not likely to be on someone's main. If the game is kind of long then I don't really mind paying again since I stack long games too rather then just fast/easy 

If you count the PSTV as a vita then I have 3 vitas :P 

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

People like to come on here and counter those who are making valid arguments against Ratalalika Games by saying “play the games you want” and other useful comments that don’t add anything of value to the discussion. I don’t think those who consistently stack games six times each with time stamps are playing them through to the end. The enjoyment is solely just in those trophies popping. 

Those Sound Shapes stacks I have were specifically and only for the trophies. I didn’t buy those other regions because I enjoyed the game, while I did enjoy it, Death Mode took the fun out of it. 

People have to be ignorant to say those stacks were purely just to have fun, because I can name 1000 other games that are more worth your time that don’t rely on trophies to get their audience. 

There may be some people who do enjoy stacking them, but even if the majority don't, are they really going to post how much they disliked the game? Imagine if someone posted in every rat thread saying they disliked their game yet had every game they released at 4-6 stacks, that would look unbelievably silly. 

34 minutes ago, Atoya_ said:

I agree with you, but....

every trophy hunter has his own goal, some people wanna reach 200 plats or whatever that number is, so they buy cheap games with easy plats to get there faster.

We’ve all played an easy game. There is however a stark difference in playing an easy game because you enjoy it and were looking forward to it...and playing an easy game because it has 10 - 11 gold trophies and I know from the start I can get the platinum in 10 - 40 minutes tops. 

When you count the stacks, the numbers add up. Which is why some people think 100 platinums isn’t anything great anymore, because of how common it is to see trophy hunters with at least that amount. 

31 minutes ago, Spinosaurus Rex said:

Brutal truth for y'all: video games, and especially hunting trophies are viewed as a shallow hobby by majority of people in the world that would consider collecting stamps, coins etc. more interesing and reason to be proud. Why do we have to fight here and start these gamer-vs-gamer flamewar instead of being proud of our hobby that's actually much deeper than just collecting some stamps or coins?

I grew up in a household where my parents saw a lot of video games to be simply toys for kids. So you’re not far off. 

Maybe it’s because we like to be vocal on our hobby. Nothing wrong with that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

If people enjoy putting themselves through a living hell to get trophies, or paying more to get the same trophies over and over again, let them be, they will do what they want regardless, even if others see a problem with it. For me, I'm just gonna play my games, keep my competitive spirit up and enjoy my life my way, everyone else should do the same as well. Rankings are ruined for this industry now, I used to envy it a while back, but then people just took a different route with it, if that's what they want to do with their lives, so be it. It won't affect my desire to trophy hunt, take on epic challenges, and make likeminded friends along the way. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nitro said:

Honest question then... Since my profile is trash to you, do Ultra Rares counteract that? For example, I have over 400 UR's with some of those taking over 100 hours to get.

Is it still trash? How do you quantify how much trash = UR's?

Dont feel personally attacked by my opinion.

I PERSONALLY dont care much for profiles that have a ton of stacked common plats. Good on you for getting so many UR's and dedicating the time to do so. Again, I personally dont like the aesthetic look of all of those super common platinums stacked one after another. 

Dont let my stupid opinion take away from your own achievements. You arent getting those platinums to please me ?

You do what makes you happy

• Like 3