Do you buy games on the release date?

GameManiac99

I personally find that to be extremely disadvantageous. Most of the times the game isn't really worth the 60$ it costs, and big gaming companies toy with you, by re-releasing the same game, only with "bonus content" or some crap. Happened when I bought Borderlands (GOTY Version came out), Little Big Planet and Mafia II. And now, MGS LEgacy Collection is coming out, and I, like an idiot, bought the HD collection.

It's been almost two years since I started waiting to buy games because of those factors. I'll only buy games on RD if I want the pristine semi-transparent cover to sit on my shelf for collectable purposes (seriously, the red "Greatest Hits" cover ruins it for me), which is why I am buying the Legacy Collection (also because of the VR Missions/Portable Ops).

But what about you guys?

I think I've bought 3 (maybe less) games on release day. I just want to know other people's experiences with the game first so I know what's good and bad about it. I also prefer not to buy on release day because I like to wait for the price to drop or something. Like now, I'm waiting to get The Last of Us. 

I do buy games on release, but only when I can afford them or if I feel like it, so far no game I've bought on release has had a GOTY edition or something similar released later on, with the exception of Saint's Row The Third, but I wasn't bothered, since the DLC I had already bought was cheaper than re-buying the game with all of the DLC on it.

Pretty much every new game i get , i get it on release 

i usually pre-order them before 

Most the games i get iv'e been waiting a long time for 

them and really want them ... 

I do get what you mean with GOTY edition's and 

some games drop in price quite fast so sometimes you feel ripped off 

but i'm used to it since iv'e been doing this for a long time .

• Like 1

I don't as much as I used to since there is almost always a bug or glitch in it that has to be patched. And that's if I'm really interested in the game. Now I just wait for reviews and see if it's really worth it a week or so later.

If it is a game I've been following and I'm sure to enjoy I'll gladly purchase it on release day. If I'm not sure about it I'll wait a while for opinions from my friends here or if it is a game sure to get a GoTY version or a version including all the DLC, like Borderlands 2, I'll wait for that version. 

Parker

• Like 2

If it is a game I've been following and I'm sure to enjoy I'll gladly purchase it on release day. If I'm not sure about it I'll wait a while for opinions from my friends here or if it is a game sure to get a GoTY version or a version including all the DLC, like Borderlands 2, I'll wait for that version. 

Parker

This is me

In the past 3 years, I have only gotten 2 games on release date with my OWN money(other times, my parents/girlfriends bought them for me)those games were The Last of Us and Skyrim.  The last of us I had followed since it was first announced, and I couldn't wait to play it, I am glad I got it on relase date.  Best.Game.Ever.  Skyrim I got first day because it was the first RPG I was going to play based on the old days, which I love so much, lanterns, no cellphones, cars, a dreamworld.  So it depends on the game for me, most of the time I can get the game $15-20 cheaper in a matter of weeks, and for games like Borderlands, I wait for the imminent game of the year edition.

Edited by drummerklg

Normally I will wait to rent and return or buy cheaper. I just got Tomb Raider instead of preordering it on release. I only preorder if they are offering a collector's edition that interests me. The last game I remember getting on release day was Gears of War 3 or Left 4 Dead 2. There is too many games I want to play, so by the time I complete other games, I can get that newer game for a cheaper price a few weeks later. Deals happen often, so there's no point anymore in spending 60 bucks for me.

Never. There's several reasons:

1. Save money

2. Get to know what the deal is with DLC's/trophies and maybe buy all as a bundle - current example is TLOU, if it ends up having DLC's like UC3 I'd rather play it on a seperate account and anyway my friend will probably buy it first so I'll just borrow it from him.

3. Many bugs will have been patched.

4. Since I'm waiting for big price drops and all the DLC to be finished, there's a chance it will show up on PS+ before I buy it.

5. Game might be terrible.

Edited by lporiginalg
  • Like 1

I get most of my new games on release day (though thanks to PS Plus that's beginning to be untrue because it's had SO MANY GAMES *_*) through pre-ordering. It's not the wisest course of action by far, but I don't mind (and I'm pretty bad at being patient and waiting xD) + I get Collector's Editions/Limited Edition versions if they look nice :)

Nope.

The only games I have ever bought on the release date were:
Pokemon Soul Silver, Pokemon Black

AND Metro Last Light, cause I waited years for the game to come out, got a modified copy(if ya know what I mean) on PC, and after 2 hours of playing I got on the PSNStore and bought the game :D