Death Stranding Reviews

Ghost

Will you be picking up Death Stranding on release?  

600 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be picking up Death Stranding on release?

• Yes
    • No
    • Later on
    • Will get it on PC

16 minutes ago, KANERKB said:

From where I am, am not touching this game as I hate kojima games but that is me. I saw gameplay and to me it is just walk here pick up boxes and go there and so on, someone should mod in the pizza time music to play while you do this as to me it is boring looking, plus the overly long cutscenes is another stopping point for me. Also I have to ask you all, if Kojima was not making this game and it was someone else and you didn't know them and it is the same game would you care about this game?

What's the point of the question? It seems like you're trying to imply that being interested in it because of Kojima is a bad thing.

Of course people care about it because it's from Kojima and it's nothing wrong with it if they liked his previous games.

For example I wouldn't care about Catherine Full Body just by seeing some random screenshot or review. But since I know it's developed by Atlus and Persona 5 was one of the best games I've played, I'm obviously interested in it.

Edited by BloodyRutz

8 minutes ago, BloodyRutz said:

What's the point of the question? It seems like you're trying to imply that being interested in it because of Kojima is a bad thing.

Of course people care about it because it's from Kojima and it's nothing wrong with it if they liked his previous games.

For example I wouldn't care about Catherine Full Body just by seeing some random screenshot or review. But since I know it's developed by Atlus and Persona 5 was one of the best games I've played, I'm obviously interested in it.

True but there is a difference between what your talking about and what I am talking about. the ones I aim at are the ones who go about attacking others for saying they don't like Kojima games or if they show flaws in the game or saying they don't like it and so on. they are the ones I aim at and see the most. The fanboys of Kojima are many and that is all I see around the Kojima games. it is like the fanboys of rick and morty. Just insanity.

Edited by KANERKB
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, SinisterPledge said:

Very accurate. The mass hysteria in this thread is interesting to read. People who were previously against day one purchases, pre-orders and games valuing visuals/story over gameplay/fun are all of a sudden defending this game before even playing it. It's about delivering parcels. I'm sorry if my mind isn't blown by this concept. Calling reviewers shills while acting like proper shills themselves.

As soon as someone raises criticism about this game they're just "hating" and have "already made up their mind". But if you somehow love it before even touching the damn cover it's alright?

The only argument I have found for this game being worth a day one purchase is that it's different. I'm sorry but that just makes people look incredibly gullible.

What other arguments should they have? They didn't get to play it yet. I'm interested in the game, obviously not hating on anybody for disliking it (after actually playing it ofc) but you're exactly the same like people you criticize (just the opposite) by saying it's just "delivering parcels" completely ignoring all the other possible elements like story, etc. 

Edited by BloodyRutz
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, SinisterPledge said:

Very accurate. The mass hysteria in this thread is interesting to read. People who were previously against day one purchases, pre-orders and games valuing visuals/story over gameplay/fun are all of a sudden defending this game before even playing it. It's about delivering parcels. I'm sorry if my mind isn't blown by this concept. Calling reviewers shills while acting like proper shills themselves.

As soon as someone raises criticism about this game they're just "hating" and have "already made up their mind". But if you somehow love it before even touching the damn cover it's alright?

The only argument I have found for this game being worth a day one purchase is that it's different. I'm sorry but that just makes people look incredibly gullible.

You completely hit the nail on the head, I see this as a more bigger one of paper boy but with twin peaks red room vibes all over along with some of the crap you see in nick cage's head. I don't like Kojima for this reason. As he just adds more to the fire so to speak. Being alright with them crazy fanboys and got a big old ego to boot with it. I got a rep for the guys behind rick and morty as at least they didn't add fire to the fanboys and stopping the show completely sure a better way could of been done but my big guess was they didn't want to deal with that crazy crap.

I mean I remember getting a game breaking bug in metal gear ground zeros on stream and all the fanboys bashed me saying that that my copy of the game is broken. and to put it on out there my copy of the game was a download one it is near impossible for it to be broken unless the whole games code is broken. and if I said splinter cell is better than metal gear they will say that it copied metal gear. if that is the case why don't we pay a visit to john carpenters place and tell him to his face that snake is not a rip off of snake plissken. sorry I rant on just yeah I have the same hate for the fanboys and kojima as I do for what has happen to the wolfenstein games starting with new colossus

Edited by KANERKB
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I think I missed the "mass hysteria in this thread"...

There seems to be a pretty consistent balance between the "I'm still getting it day one" and the "this game is overhyped trash" posts.  One being a simple admission of interest in the game, the other being needlessly aggressive and decisive over something they haven't really tried yet.  Surely we can all understand why the latter might elicit more of a reaction?

EDIT: I think all this time spent on the internet, people have kinda forgotten that the words we use and the way we string them together generally do carry different cadences.  And it really shouldn't be so alarming that bad choices can come with bad reactions.  Calling people gullible shills because you disagree with them is probably another example of a bad choice.

Not really sure if you're talking to me because your post is so inaccurate. I have already admitted I haven't played the game, I have already said that the story might redeem the apparent lack of engaging gameplay. I will find out when I get this on a sale for $20 or something. I can't disagree with anyone regarding the game because I haven't played it yet. I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of several members here and how ridiculous it is that people are supporting a game without even having touched the disc yet. My comments aren't directed at everyone who will pick this up day one/pre-orders (I know you have a horse in this race), but those that have already picked up their sword and shields, ready to defend the latest Kojima product against any legitimate concerns and sub-200 IQ detractors.

As for calling people gullible shills, I guess you'd have to actually read through this topic properly to understand why those two terms are present in my post.

Granted, most of my posts were on the other forum topic for this game and I guess I'm just having a bigger perspective on this discussion because of that.

Edit: I'll admit "mass hysteria" was written for effect and is an exaggeration of the actual meaning. I just can't help being a bit edgy sometimes.

Edited by SinisterPledge
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, SinisterPledge said:

Not really sure if you're talking to me because your post is so inaccurate. I have already admitted I haven't played the game, I have already said that the story might redeem the apparent lack of engaging gameplay. I will find out when I get this on a sale for $20 or something. I can't disagree with anyone regarding the game because I haven't played it yet. I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of several members here and how ridiculous it is that people are supporting a game without even having touched the disc yet. My comments aren't directed at everyone who will pick this up day one/pre-orders (I know you have a horse in this race), but those that have already picked up their sword and shields, ready to defend the latest Kojima product against any legitimate concerns and sub-200 IQ detractors.

As for calling people gullible shills, I guess you'd have to actually read through this topic properly to understand why those two terms are present in my post.

Granted, most of my posts were on the other forum topic for this game and I guess I'm just having a bigger perspective on this discussion because of that.

Edit: I'll admit "mass hysteria" was written for effect and is an exaggeration of the actual meaning. I just can't help being a bit edgy sometimes.

My post was more towards the "in this thread" part of things, since that's how your post started.  I wouldn't know what conversations have been had in other threads or off to the side.

I don't feel like people have been overly Kojima praising in this thread.  There are a few still optimistic about the game, maybe for reasons you don't agree with, but plenty that aren't buying what Kojima is selling.  When it comes to people who haven't played a game, general positivity comes across more innocuous than decisive negativity IMO.  Games are supposed to be fun afterall.  I'm not sure I need to "read through the thread properly" to see what your seeing.

Edited by Dreakon13

10 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

My post was more towards the "in this thread" part of things, since that's how your post started.  I wouldn't know what conversations have been had in other threads or off to the side.

I don't feel like people have been overly Kojima praising in this thread.  There are a few still optimistic about the game, maybe for reasons you don't agree with, but plenty that aren't buying what Kojima is selling.  When it comes to people who haven't played a game, general positivity comes across more innocuous than decisive negativity IMO.  Games are supposed to be fun afterall.  I'm not sure I need to "read through the thread properly" to see what your seeing.

Oh well, I tried... I'd prefer to stay neutral and make up my own mind, which I will. I'm not negative or positive, I'm only cautious and questioning core aspects of the game before I dish out $59 or whatever it costs. I agree that games are supposed to be fun, not really sure where that ties in with the rest of your post but whatever. I hope you enjoy the game and get hooked. Hopefully I will end up getting my money's worth when I do pick it up. ?

21 minutes ago, SinisterPledge said:

I agree that games are supposed to be fun, not really sure where that ties in with the rest of your post but whatever.

Games are supposed to be fun.  Fun is a positive thing, being negative isn't fun (well it is for some gamers but I think that's kinda twisted).  Being negative towards other people for being positive, even if it seems blindly or irrationally positive, kinda flies in the face of that.  For example...

"The only argument I have found for this game being worth a day one purchase is that it's different. I'm sorry but that just makes people look incredibly gullible."

^^ ... calling people incredibly gullible because they haven't convinced you of it being worth a day one purchase.  That doesn't come across as "neutral" or simply cautious.

I'm far from Kojima's biggest fan.  The only Metal Gear Solid I could get into was MGS2, and that was like 15 years ago, the rest that I tried (1,3,4,Ground Zeroes) fizzled out pretty quick.  Death Stranding definitely looks more interesting for me, but I've been on the fence for a while.  I'm just fortunate enough to be able to drop $60 on something that isn't a sure thing.  I hope it clicks with me too.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Games are supposed to be fun.  Fun is a positive thing, being negative isn't fun (well it is for some gamers but I think that's kinda twisted).  Being negative towards other people for being positive, even if it seems blindly or irrationally positive, kinda flies in the face of that.  For example...

"The only argument I have found for this game being worth a day one purchase is that it's different. I'm sorry but that just makes people look incredibly gullible."

^^ ... calling people incredibly gullible because they haven't convinced you of being worth a day one purchase.  That doesn't come across as "neutral" or simply cautious.

I'm far from Kojima's biggest fan.  The only Metal Gear Solid I could get into was MGS2, and that was like 15 years ago, the rest that I tried (1,3,4,Ground Zeroes) fizzled out pretty quick.  Death Stranding definitely looks more interesting for me, but I've been on the fence for a while.  I'm just fortunate enough to be able to drop $60 on something that isn't a sure thing.  I hope it clicks with me too.

But wouldn't it make more sense to buy it day two, and make sure it's your thing thanks to the huge amount of gameplay that'll be avaliable online by then, then to spend sixty bucks on something you don't know will be any good?
I'm not even talking about waiting a few months, or even a week. One day could be the difference between a smart buy and an impulse one. Whether you have the money to spend that freely or not, surely some degree of forethought is better than none? It's not like Kojima's going to go under because you waited 24 hours.

5 minutes ago, Alos88 said:

But wouldn't it make more sense to buy it day two, and make sure it's your thing thanks to the huge amount of gameplay that'll be avaliable online by then, then to spend sixty bucks on something you don't know will be any good?
I'm not even talking about waiting a few months, or even a week. One day could be the difference between a smart buy and an impulse one. Whether you have the money to spend that freely or not, surely some degree of forethought is better than none? It's not like Kojima's going to go under because you waited 24 hours.

There's plenty of gameplay out there already at this point, and the review embargo lifted a week before release.

I wouldn't want to watch half a movie before I go to the theater to see the movie.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Alos88 said:

Still don't get the day one purchase on an unproven concept. I don't trust anyone that much...

Then you probably wouldn't like me very much. xD

Typically I'll pre-order to support good developers or franchises that interest me.  In this case, I'm more in a rut and willing to drop some money to try something different.  Death Stranding wasn't really on my radar at all for the longest time.

EDIT: Though I think there's typically enough information available to make an educated decision by day one.  The only reason to wait until day two is to get impressions from other gamers, who's opinions I wouldn't trust at all personally.  Not in this day and age of hating games for every reasons but the games themselves.

Edited by Dreakon13

13 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

^^ ... calling people incredibly gullible because they haven't convinced you it of being worth a day one purchase.  That doesn't come across as "neutral" or simply cautious.

Lmao I'm sorry dude but I just can't. You're talking about two separate things. First you mention that games are supposed to be fun, then you say being negative isn't fun. Being negative on a forum topic has no relevance to the statement "games should be fun". I agree that games should be fun, and I agree that being negative isn't fun. They're not mutually exclusive so I don't get the point you're trying to make.

I do like to question people's convictions (and my own). I think it's healthy for the mind and for society. And in this case, the community/hobby. Ignoring irrationality sounds kinda bad if you ask me. I disagree that I would be anything by neutral and cautious about the game. What you are referring to is my statement regarding certain community members, not the game. But I'm not sure how to explain that in a better way so I guess I'll just leave it.

Yeah I'm no fan of Kojima either. I find him to be a poor writer and messy director that adds complexity for the sake of complexity. That said, and despite apparently being negative about this game, I think Death Stranding looks like his most interesting work and I will definitely give it an honest try in the future.

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons why people pick up this game on day one, and I hope you all enjoy it. Games should be fun, after all.

3 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Then you probably wouldn't like me very much. xD

Typically I'll pre-order to support good developers or franchises that interest me.  In this case, I'm more in a rut and willing to drop some money to try something different.  Death Stranding wasn't really on my radar at all for the longest time.

EDIT: Though I think there's typically enough information available to make an educated decision by day one.  The only reason to wait until day two is to get impressions from other gamers, who's opinions I wouldn't trust at all personally.  Not in this day and age of hating games for every reasons but the games themselves.

That's fair enough. I've been burned by creators I've respected in the past though, on kickstarter and the like, so I'll be watching this one more cautiously than I used to.

Day 1 buy for me even though I don't consider myself a kojima fan. I only have played the original MGS which I liked alot and played a few hrs of MGS V which i didn't like whatsoever. So technically I have already been burned by Kojima since i wasted money on MGS V but i am picking up DS because kojima is one of the few auteurs in video games and the fact that he got away with making something so personal and artistic with little to no studio inference is amazing and I hope we get more of that from the video game industry. Plus I love finding out where I stand when it comes to mixed opinions of any piece of entertainment so the reviews have definitely hyped me up way more

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SinisterPledge said:

Lmao I'm sorry dude but I just can't. You're talking about two separate things. First you mention that games are supposed to be fun, then you say being negative isn't fun. Being negative on a forum topic has no relevance to the statement "games should be fun". I agree that games should be fun, and I agree that being negative isn't fun. They're not mutually exclusive so I don't get the point you're trying to make.

I do like to question people's convictions (and my own). I think it's healthy for the mind and for society. And in this case, the community/hobby. Ignoring irrationality sounds kinda bad if you ask me. I disagree that I would be anything by neutral and cautious about the game. What you are referring to is my statement regarding certain community members, not the game. But I'm not sure how to explain that in a better way so I guess I'll just leave it.

Perhaps I should've said "gaming" is supposed to be fun.  Not "games".  As in, all aspects of it.  The games are fun, the conversation should be fun, etc.  It's a hobby.  I don't see much of a reason for negativity there.  Which is why the state of the gaming community confuses me so much, and the little ball of irrational hate and outrage that it's become.

If you're going to rain on people's parades, it probably should at least be because you've played the game before and have actual insight.  Which isn't the case here.  Otherwise hounding them for their positivity is no more rational than what they're doing (especially if you're doing it in an insulting way).  And like I said, I'll take irrational positivity and enthusiasm for a game over irrational negativity every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

There also isn't much I can do if you're making general statements that are actually inside commentary that no one else would get.  I'll read that wrong 100% of the time.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 2

On 1.11.2019 at 10:42 AM, ahmedelebiary said:

Ah IGN is at it again 1f602.png.. not surprised tbh their reviews are always utter shite.

Have you played the game? And from all the mentioned reviews it wasn't even the lowest. I really don't get the hate against IGN. Yes, some of their reviews were awful but it's always different people reviewing different games and every review out there is subjective. Every single one. Why do you take reviews so seriously, especially the ones from IGN? And don't tell me you don't, cause you and countless others in the comment section give them all the attention every single time. It's just another opinion on a game, not more.

• Like 3

Game looks and sounds incredible based on what I've seen and heard about it. Easily looks like a day one buy considering the production value, set pieces, animation, story, character interactions, multiplayer and how cleverly it was implemented and designed (increasing the replay-value a lot), world-building, the gameplay contrary to popular belief, etc, and the depth within those aspects. Vague descriptions but there is great stuff in these areas that have been shown.

Only true downsides seem to be OST (which is subjective), terrain physics for vehicles (probably particular vehicles, if not a bigger problem for those particular vehicles, like the tripod motorcycle), possibly the amount of required lengthy on foot locomotion for task but this is too ambiguous and thus too complicated pre-release without having full knowledge on how other gameplay mechanics work (like the fast traveling, whether or not vehicles are disabled for certain quest or eligible but difficult to use for some of the areas with rough terrain, over-world elements that make traveling more efficient outside just vehicles, like quicker on-foot movement enhancements or shortcuts/etc), and the type of gameplay repetition that may not be as tolerable as repetition in other games where people don't mind it as much. This wasn't suppose to be a long post, sigh.

I know for a fact I will like this game and that I will get my actual money's worth here, as the cons should be outweighed by the pros. Only reason i'm not buying day one is because of my backlog of other big released titles, like Detroit Become Human, God of War, NieR: Automata, Far Cry 5, etc, and these damn game sales happening this month (PSN's double discount which I admittedly might not get anything from, Target's deal, and the couple of weeks away Black Friday deal ?). Might make an exception for how creative this game is on top of having the amount of content and replay-value to actually justify spending $60 and playing it beyond actual story-campaign "completion", rather than beating it and moving onto the next game.

• Like 1