console is being screwed over

official response and full story

So console in the end gets screwed. Lovely.

Look, I can do without crime spree, without a safe house but just give us all the same heists. In the end, that's all I ask but that's not gonna happen cause PC takes priority. Theres so many heists we wont be getting

Resevoir dogs
Shackelthorn
Henery's rock
Whitehouse

Like I get it, PC takes priority but if they cared so much for console then why not, idk develop for the console instead of making a new heist for PC >:(

yeah im mad. For years I vouched for this game saying one day we would be all caught up. now im left looking like a idiot

• Like 1

The  first game Payday: The Heist back on PS3 also didn’t get all the dlc levels that came out on pc. Sounds like it’s a long standing thing at this point. 

I played a ton of the first game, got the second when it came out on PS3 and didn’t like it and dropped it pretty fast. Glad they added to it for the people that enjoyed it though 

1 hour ago, BeautifulTorment said:

This is classic Overkill. I don't intend to continue supporting them. They are a great example of a good dev with absolutely trash ethics. All their customers are as good as dirt. Always been that way with Overkill.

Lol, you didn’t even play crimewave edition. Can’t really say you ever supported them.

• Like 1

They've done it before and they'll do it again. They realize that the console players will put up with this and they'll still make money so they figure why bother. If people keep buying, they'll keep scamming, and since "vote with your wallet" doesn't work, there isn't much we can do but ignore the games and pray that the company thinks about the players for once (and if you believe that they will, I have some snake oil that you may be interested in).

Honestly the bigger is that this update has broke hoxton breakout day 1 as it crashes just before you reach the 3rd objective to do before the garage so if you hadn't done it on death wish already youre shit outta luck. 

In terms of heists though on consoles the heists added by these updates either work flawlessly and feel fun or are a slog as they play at about 20 fps if that like with the new classic heist. 

Overkill did this before with PS3 and 360 and theyre doing it again, why act surprised?

They're scumbags who got their comeuppance with the failure of everything they've done since Payday 2 - Raid and The Walking Dead being the obvious culprits. Theyre on the verge of bankruptcy, and to make Payday 3, they need money.They have no shame too, returning to their old cash cow after already sunsetting support for it a few years back. Maybe next time they try to put something on console they wont abandon it.

Edited by WorldsBestSpy
  • Like 3

If it's such an issue, buy a PC maybe? 

From reading the link OP posted, it sounds like the devs can't continue due to console limitations; not "evil capitalism or corporate greed" nonsense.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ some games are better on console, some are better on PC. Some are only possible on PC. Problem? Nah. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 12/20/2019 at 8:45 PM, The_Snooze said:

If it's such an issue, buy a PC maybe? 

From reading the link OP posted, it sounds like the devs can't continue due to console limitations; not "evil capitalism or corporate greed" nonsense.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ some games are better on console, some are better on PC. Some are only possible on PC. Problem? Nah. 

@The_Snooze maybe that will put things in perspective for you. 

I've been a longtime fan of the Payday games (I fell in love with them watching The Creatures play Payday: The Heist on YouTube :P). A large part of the reason I went with a PS3 over an XBOX 360 was because PS3 had access to Payday: The Heist while XBOX 360 didn't. I played tons of Payday: The Heist on my PS3 and I was super stoked when they announced Payday 2. I bought it as soon as I could and I loved playing it.

When Payday 2: Crimewave Edition was announced for PS4 and Overkill rededicated themselves to keeping PS4 / XB1 versions more "current" with the PC version (since they complained about patches being too difficult to implement on PS3 IIRC), I was stoked. I pre-ordered Payday 2: Crimewave Edition (which I rarely ever do) and played it all summer in 2015. I came back to it every summer, and eventually ended up purchasing Payday: The Heist and Payday 2 for the PC as well since they were dirt cheap.

This is what really opened my eyes. The PC version of both of these games are LEAGUES better than the console version, especially in Payday 2's case. Payday 2 on PC has so, so many more heists and customization options and more features. Eventually, PS4 got to see most of these features via massive content drops that would come once a year. We were still YEARS behind the PC version of this game. Overkill has time and time again lied to console players and I'm sick of it. I still love Payday 2, but I hate Overkill/Starbreeze and their false promises. I almost feel like they're mocking console players at this point. They keep making false promises and selling console players a husk of a game compared to the PC version.

I know all of the white knights will rush to their defense by saying something along the lines of "but most of their market is on PC! Of course they would focus on PC!". Nobody considers that maybe their market is on PC because that's all they ever focus on. And even if that's not the case, no company should make such grand promises and repeatedly break them. "We'll keep console versions current with PC versions this time! No wait, we lied that time, but this time we're serious!" I don't care if they're out of money. They should have already set aside the money and the manpower to make good on their promises and then invested what remained into other projects like their VR tech and Raid: WW2. They have simply been exploiting console players and doing the bare minimum to support their games on console.

I still love Payday 2 as a game, and it's always going to be one that I return to and cherish, even if I do hate the business decisions of the people behind it. Continuing to play it on PS4 won’t support them financially at all so I’ll definitely keep going. Screw Overkill. Screw Starbreeze. Screw all of that. I'll keep playing Payday 2 and hold on to the good memories I have with the franchise. I won't spend another cent on any Overkill/Starbreeze titles in the future. They could make an amazing Payday 3. I won't even buy it unless it's free. I might consider playing it if they a.) actually try to support console for once (unlikely) and b.) it's a really good game and not just a soulless attempt at resurrecting their dying company.

I don't care if they're out of money and this is their only option. It should never have come to this. The money should've already been set aside to support the console players but instead they threw it all away. I hope that they go bankrupt and that all the good, honest devs find much better employment opportunities.

If this company somehow makes it out of this alive, they have A LOT of work to do to build the trust between themselves and console players. It can be done, but based on their current situation, it's unlikely. I wish they would've stuck to their promise. I wish I could trust them. I wish I could defend them. But there's nothing worth defending here. They made their bed on this one, now it's time for them to go to sleep.

Edited by ResoluteRock
  • Like 4

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old post but i'd like to weigh in.

In all fairness, they shot themselves in the foot from the very beginning by sticking to Diesel (a sodding RACING GAME ENGINE FROM 2001) instead of going for a new engine, which is what they finally did for 3. This apparently made optimization a real pain, and even some Heists on PC would chug hard on release. Apparently Diesel was so bad that they had to redo many (if not all) of the assets from the ground up instead of being able to simply port them over to consoles. Additionally, given that PD3 was confirmed to be in development, this meant that the devs would now be divided between three games: 3, PC PAYDAY 2, and Console PAYDAY 2.

Yes, they could've allocated the resources making Silk Road, Jiu Feng's weapon packs, and the Gold Rush campaigns to instead updating Crimewave Edition. The problem with that is that these updates would be a net loss to OVERKILL, as all of the content we were missing at them time would be free and therefore only waste the devs' resources. Had that incident with Starbeeze not happened, then it's probably much more likely we would've had the updates still coming, but well, hit shappened. I'm sure the devs still would've wanted to keep their word on updating the consoles as they're probably well aware they're not on the greatest standing with us, but it's not like they had a choice anyway.

Obviously I'm not letting Starbreeze off the hook so easily because they've sure had their failed business ventures (cough cough StarVR, WAID WWII and TWD cough cough) which meant they screwed themselves over too. (Hell they apparently haven't paid Le Castle Vania for Confirmed Thrills and Operation Blacklight)

Even though they confirmed Consoles won't be getting any extra content anymore, i still long for that one more update... here's hoping the recently reignited Crime War becomes a miracle hit.

Edited by ElHoxtinator
  • Like 1