Ever played a game so good, you just can't jump into the next one?

Metal

It's completely normal to do that with a game(s) I was hooked on SotC (PS2) and also FFX (PS2) I haven't played either on PS4 yet. And just recently I was hooked on DS3 (over 1,200 hours), I can speedrun it and kill invaders like there's no tomorrow! The platinum for ds3 actually came naturally, never actually intended on getting it, but played so much I eventually got it. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, thefinalboss_666 said:

It's completely normal to do that with a game(s) I was hooked on SotC (PS2) and also FFX (PS2) I haven't played either on PS4 yet. And just recently I was hooked on DS3 (over 1,200 hours), I can speedrun it and kill invaders like there's no tomorrow! The platinum for ds3 actually came naturally, never actually intended on getting it, but played so much I eventually got it. 

1,200 hours! That is crazy. Fair play. Easily done though in games of such high quality. Souls games have such great replay-ability. Looking forward to playing through them again but this time for Trophies ??

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ArmoredSnowman said:

Have you gotten the plat for this? Haven't seen any trophy guides for the game, so I'm wary of getting it. 

Yup and I wish I could do it all over again. To be fair I still need to go back and play it for the Leader boards. I'd like to top 10 all tracks on Master. 

The game isn't hard, really. It all comes down to memorisation of the tracks and timing your shots to the beat. I've played Aaero so much on other systems, I actually may make a guide for it, if I find the time. I know the game in and out. 

I'd give it a 4/10 on the difficulty scale to get the full 100%. I personally find it even easier than that but I have played it to death. 

Edit - Feel free to add me on psn and I'll happily message you advice for anything you get stuck on if you do start it. Psn is FierceMetal

Edited by FierceMetal
  • Like 1

Life is Strange had me messed up for a few days, the music haunted me, the concepts and plot scarred in a pretty big impression on me. I mean the game wasn't even my type of game, and yet it had left such a profound response jitterbugging around in my brain for a few days. I think I tried to jump into a puzzle game and Need for Speed Payback and at first couldn't get a good bite out of either, eventually it faded and I was able to enjoy other games again. Until of course I played the Before the Storm Prequel and got even more attached to Rachel and Chloe, knowing what I knew would happen to them X_X  made that game brutal to play, so I was bothered all over again.

RiME: Plot twist at the end choked me up, I got super overbearing of my son for a good week.

Papo & Yo; One big metaphor for a small boy and his abusive alcoholic father, put on display in a cute way until you really start to understand what exactly you're playing.

Thomas was alone: THEY MADE ME CARE ABOUT THE LIVES AND STORIES OF SQUARES AND RECTANGLES, nuff said

NieR (The first game, not Automata): Don't wanna spoil it, but I think the music had the biggest impact coupled with the story/characters and the sacrifices they make. My brother was die hard anti-rpg (that typical FPS junkie that can't be bothered unless the hud has crosshairs) until I had him play this game. He still hates Final Fantasy, but he's a NieR fan, he even went on to love Witcher.

Edited by Asmund89
  • Like 1

I totally get you on Shadow of the Colossus because it’s my favorite game of all time as well. It’s been my favorite game since it came out for PS2, I remember being in awe of it at the time. I haven’t even played the PS4 version to be honest with you, but I loved the isolation you felt in the PS2 and PS3 versions. Roaming around the world, looking for fruit and lizard tails while hunting these giant beasts is a magical experience. I remember feeling so conflicted killing the Colossi who were seemingly doing nothing wrong, yet trying to bring my beloved back to life; it blurs the lines of morality. The Colossi encounters are all varied and completely epic, definitely my favorite game of all time.

I would suggest trying The Last of Us: Remastered, which is #2 on my all-time list. You go on such a journey throughout the whole game, with wonderfully developed characters that you become very invested in. It has everything from humor, action, heartbreak, brutality. Enjoy catching up on the amazing exclusives from the PS library.

• Like 2

I generally wait a day to start a new game after finishing another but Witcher 3 deff had the most impact on me (that Kaer Morhen OST tho)

But a game i often go back to is Monster Hunter World (iceborne) for the events, free DLC updates, and for the addicting gameplay, learning and using all 14 weapon types and adapting to their different playstyles. I have almost 1800 hours played lmao

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2019 at 4:31 AM, Boomshanks said:

Welcome to the Playstation community :). Glad you like it so far. One game I haven't seen mentioned here is Uncharted 4. To me, it's one of the best games of this generation and I couldn't stop playing it. Though it'll be a lot better if you've played the other games as well.

The Nathan Drake Collection is free with PS+ this month! 

I would add to this conversation besides that that Assassin's Creed Origins, Horizon Zero Dawn, and FFXV are the games from this gen that will stick with me once we've moved on to PS5. I did not want to stop playing any of them and their stories had me sitting there in tears.

Not related at all to story (because it doesn't really have one), for its stellar gameplay and quiet atmosphere alone, The Witness is also a game I will not soon forget. It's one of my top five games of all time, and if you're into puzzle games at all and/or have a significant other who may also be into puzzle games (or be willing to play one with you as a together activity), I can't recommend it enough. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This happens all the time to me!  The feeling is like a twinge of sadness or emptiness, coupled with a complete lack of motivation or disinterest in the new game you’re trying to get into.

In fact I’m experiencing this right now. I just finished Devil May Cry 1 yesterday. It was my first time playing the DMC series and I had an absolute blast with it! I wanted to jump right into another DMC game, but my hold on Far Cry New Dawn came in at the library and so I started playing that since it’s a fast platinum and I’ve only got the game for a week or two.

But so far I’ve really struggled to get into it. Normally I absolutely love Far Cry games and find them very relaxing and fun. I usually enjoy just throwing on some music and exploring the open world, demolishing enemies and animals and working on the trophy list.

But right now I just can’t get into it! I’m feeling no motivation at all to play this game because all I want to do is play more DMC. ?

• Like 1

Ahh man this topic is grand.

And yeah i definetly have. Like every couple of games to be honest. 

A few standouts:

The World Ends With You. 

My fave game of all time made me question a lot of things. Back in the day i got hooked seeing a friend play it on his ds. I liked it so much, the next day i bought a ds straight away and the game. Played it nonstop til i did it all. Basically took a week off gaming recovering and dwelling on what a ride it had been.

FF9

Its not even my fave final fantasy! When i was a kid i bought this day 1 and played 11 hours straight and basically couldnt make it into school the next day. I played it hard over the course of the next few days and finished it at a good pace. Not quite excalibur 2 pace but id venture pretty close. My mum forced me to go outside a lot the week after. Like an enforced break haha. 

Honourable Mentions

999 (Zero Escape) (ds) - First ever visual novel and loved a variety ever since

FarCry 3 (360) - Was amazing when it came out. (Platted the remaster on ps4 damn right) 

Mortal Kombat Trilogy (PSX) - The first game that opened my eyes to gore. Hideous gorgeous.

Trails of Cold Steel 1 - Recently finished 1st game, already bought 2 and 3. The story slays me. Not so much a break but i remember playing (ahem) lower quality games for a week or so after beating it. (To cleanse my pallet so to speak)

• Like 1

On 10.12.2019 at 9:58 PM, Squirlruler said:

Neir;Automata did that for me.

Same for me. NieR is a milestone in philosophical gaming experience such as Bioshock 3. Both games got me for month in their claws. 

And @FierceMetal SotC did that to me as well, actually more than a decade ago when I originally played it on ps2. It was one of those games that was it's time so many years ahead ( same with Shenmue <3 )  I although played SotC again on ps4 and it was a stunning moment when I saw how polished and beautiful this whole world looks in this remastered. A unique experience so I totally get you that you got stuck in this game. It is a good thing, when a game has the power to stay in your mind. Not many games are capable of this imo.

Edited by DavySuicide
  • Like 1

I used to play SSX Tricky religiously when I was like 6 or 7, don't think I ever picked up a different game, I was purely hooked on the zaniness of it, it's probably because my earliest video game memory was playing both Rayman 2 (PS1 version) and the original SSX (2000). But I'd always come home from school and blast SSX Tricky, even when I beat it as one of the characters, I never felt the same feeling of playing a game than I did with Tricky.

The closest and most recent game I had that feeling with was Skyrim, it was my introduction into the Elder Scrolls world, and yeah, it destroyed my life.

Edited by PsychoHenni
  • Like 2

There have been several over the many years for me. The first game that I ever really got hooked on was Galaga on the Atari. I still play that one whenever I can. But there seems to be at least 1 title for every platform I've had.

Galaga - Atari

Mario Bros - NES

Toejam and Earl - Sega Genesis

Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past - SNES

Twisted Metal - PS

Wild Arms - PS

Pokemon - Like all Nintendo handhelds 

Tales of (series)

Skyrim - PS3, PS4, Alexa, PC, the microwave, and soon to be PS5

And many more I'm sure but those pop out to me at the moment. I've played them all for god knows how many hundreds of hours each. 

• Like 1

For me it’s got to be Overwatch or Rocket League. I play them competitively but I also have had these games for so long it’s just fun to see that I’ve improved. Whether I go on a winning streak or losing streak I always play these games atleast every week

• Like 2

Love this thread! My most recent one wasn't a playstation game, but Disco Elysium. That game really got its hooks into me (the calling into work sick kinda hooks ?). Absolutely cannot wait for it to be ported to ps4 so I can play it all over again.

Oh Kim ?