Mortal Kombat's Servers Shutdown

samuel_hsc

I was on Mortal Kombat earlier making progress for My Kung Fu Is Stronger, and decided to test if online was still working. I got the exact message "The network connection has been lost. Make sure your Ethernet cables and router are connected properly." I get that message every time almost immediately when I try loading the online. I believe that's it for the game. Rest In Peace Mortal Kombat 2011. While definitely not my favorite MK game (Deception will FOREVER hold that title), and certainly not the best when it came to a sensible story, the amount of kontent in the game from the krypt, return of mini-games like Test Your Might, a cinematic story, a separate tower with 300 different challenges, and the standard arcade makes it one of the most replayable Mortal Kombat games out there. If My Kung Fu Is Stronger didn't scare away most people from attempting this game, then the unobtainable online trophies certainly will.

Edited by PatinumNumemon
  • Like 1

I would advise anyone who's still hunting the online trophies to reach out for WB to ask them if they finally shut down the servers (I know it sounds stupid, but given that the shutdown post was a few days ago, stating that the servers were down for good, although they weren't, it would be ok to know for sure).

This could be a "Batman Arkham Origins" case, where despite the servers shutdown notice, they were (and I guess they actually are) still up although with connection issues some days (like not being able to connect at all for a couple of days, but then they were back online).

I'm done with the online for this game anyway. Thanks to all the people that got me through it.

Edited by Ghanupher
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ghanupher said:

I would advise anyone who's still hunting the online trophies to reach out for WB to ask them if they finally shut down the servers.

I asked them on twitter a couple days ago and they answered me with that standard message from the support page. 

1 hour ago, samuel_hsc said:

I asked them on twitter a couple days ago and they answered me with that standard message from the support page. 

I see. But that message states that, as of 03/21, the server are discontinued, and I was able to play and earn the online trophies on 03/24 and 03/25.

So that's why I'd suggest for someone to reach them out again and ask if the servers are down for good, because maybe (just "maybe") this one is a temporary shutdown.

2 hours ago, Ghanupher said:

I would advise anyone who's still hunting the online trophies to reach out for WB to ask them if they finally shut down the servers (I know it sounds stupid, but given that the shutdown post was a few days ago, stating that the servers were down for good, although they weren't, it would be ok to know for sure).

This could be a "Batman Arkham Origins" case, where despite the servers shutdown notice, they were (and I guess they actually are) still up although with connection issues some days (like not being able to connect at all for a couple of days, but then they were back online).

I'm done with the online for this game anyway. Thanks to all the people that got me through it.

Don’t want to give fake hope to anyone, but imo the issue with Arkham Origins is that because it’s on PsNow, they probably decided to keep the mp for it to be fully playable. I really hope it’s the same thing with MK and this is only a temporary problem.

42 minutes ago, marius_maximus said:

Don’t want to give fake hope to anyone, but imo the issue with Arkham Origins is that because it’s on PsNow, they probably decided to keep the mp for it to be fully playable. I really hope it’s the same thing with MK and this is only a temporary problem.

I mean other games are on PSNow that u can't platinum (Killzone Franchise, Resistance)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NeelBehl said:

I mean other games are on PSNow that u can't platinum (Killzone Franchise, Resistance)

Resistance 3 is the only resistance game on ps now and it actually can be platinumed, the coop must be done offline though. It’s the other resistance game that is impossible to plat but yeah there’s plenty of games on ps now that can’t be completed. Twisted metal, Homefront, star hawk. I really don’t think ps now has anything to do with it... the post said something about network changes.. maybe they just can’t keep them running..

2 hours ago, royal642award said:

Resistance 3 is the only resistance game on ps now and it actually can be platinumed, the coop must be done offline though. It’s the other resistance game that is impossible to plat but yeah there’s plenty of games on ps now that can’t be completed. Twisted metal, Homefront, star hawk. I really don’t think ps now has anything to do with it... the post said something about network changes.. maybe they just can’t keep them running..

yea what bothers me is that it was just the ps3 version, think the 360 version still works.  PC users must be really mad as they were only able to do it digitally 

2 hours ago, royal642award said:

i def would have loved to play starhawk back in the day if i had it or knew about it, hopefully these games get remastered or rereleased on the ps5 tho im not holding my breath on those happening

On 23/03/2020 at 4:52 AM, Jasko_SOA said:

yep that is totally doable :)

edit: Unless one copy of the game for instance is the komplete edition and the other one is the regular game

Hey mate

that shouldn’t matter.. I have 6 PS3 , 1 MK Komplete and the rest standard / regular copies (all from US however) and it worked fine for me. 

edit: I feel bad to anyone that’s left these for last , in particular those who did tower and my king fu is stronger first. 

Edited by JWill_55
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JWill_55 said:

Hey mate

that shouldn’t matter.. I have 6 PS3 , 1 MK Komplete and the rest standard / regular copies (all from US however) and it worked fine for me. 

edit: I feel bad to anyone that’s left these for last , in particular those who did tower and my king fu is stronger first. 

Ok then I have had false information during the whole decade since release lol. I remember not offering you my help for the online part exactly because of that... sorry man?

8 minutes ago, FLiiXxSz said:

Still down as of 6:27am pst

Yeah, I don't think they are coming back I'm afraid.

I think they pulled the plug on Friday evening (GMT), despite putting the notice up a week prior.
I have asked them on Twitter what exactly has changed for the PS3 servers to be shutdown, but the others to remain?
But I doubt I'll get a reply.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Varhur said:

Were servers killed off before or after 3rd April? There seems to be someone with 2.5k respect trophy but the gap looks really suspicious.

Pretty sure the Server were closed off on 27th march, after that no one was able to unlock any of the online trophies after 27th march....pretty sure the guy you were suspicious of hacked it, i checked his MK trophies list and his last trophy before platinum was the 2500 points on KOTH trophy which he unlocked together with the platinum on 2nd of april, 6 days after plenty of ppl complain they werent able to acess the server anymore

Edit: Hmm looks like someone already reported his MK trophies list as suspicious as the report button is not visible

Edited by PatrickPCRE5

On 4/23/2020 at 0:45 PM, Varhur said:

Were servers killed off before or after 3rd April? There seems to be someone with 2.5k respect trophy but the gap looks really suspicious.

On 4/23/2020 at 4:52 PM, PatrickPCRE5 said:

Pretty sure the Server were closed off on 27th march, after that no one was able to unlock any of the online trophies after 27th march....pretty sure the guy you were suspicious of hacked it, i checked his MK trophies list and his last trophy before platinum was the 2500 points on KOTH trophy which he unlocked together with the platinum on 2nd of april, 6 days after plenty of ppl complain they werent able to acess the server anymore

Edit: Hmm looks like someone already reported his MK trophies list as suspicious as the report button is not visible

The person you're talking about also has a lot of games with trophies earned out of order, including their Mortal Kombat list having My Kung Fu is Stronger (Master All Characters) earned before My Kung Fu is Strong (Master 1 character)... It has taken the flagging team a long time to look into it and maybe this is the bump @B1rvine needs to check it out.