Is this game worth getting?

Hey all, 

I see that this is currently going for $30 on the PlayStation store. 

Should I get it? The concept looks interesting but I'm not sure if I would like this. 

I've heard of issues with the camera, and diffculty with the controls. 

What are your thoughts of the game? 

• Like 1

It's a remake of an older game. It's not very fast paced and there are ONLY bosses in the game. I don't want to ruin to much of the game by talking about it if you haven't played it. Some people love it some people hate it. Sorry I can't be more help. I think it's worth checking out though. Just go in without any expectations.  Maybe try the demo first before buying it. I think they had a demo on the PSN store. Don't know if they do though. 

If you find you can enjoy a game based on the ‘tone’ (not the story exactly, but the feel of the story - the world building based on the visuals and mechanics) then yes.

if you find you are easily bored or put off by esoterica or lack of clear narratives, I’d say maybe give this one a miss, or at least wait for a deeper sale?

I love the game - for whatever that’s worth

• Like 2

Controls are pretty hard, at least at the start of the game, but u can get used to it, the horse was the worst but once u realize how it works, instead of camera or ur character, u actually 'move' as the horse meaning if you turn 'left' u actually have the horse moving left instead of 'left' of ur screen (if horse is looking to the right it will turn upwards on your screen, not turn 180 degrees as that is left on ur screen) so that needs a bit of adjustment to learn

Otherwise this was a great game to play visually & the 'lore' (cant really say story... Its very mystical storywise) 

Hope this helps on your choice ?

• Like 1

SOTC is great but you will need to make up your own story using your own imagination while playing through the game. Its an artistic style of game and there is no traditional story to hold your hand and you only fight bosses. The game is also rather short and there is not much incentive to play the game multiple times unless unlocking all items and completing all time trials is enough reason for you.

• Like 1

I tried to play the game since it released in 2005ish as it's a unique concept. I 100 %ed the game not long back and found the first playthrough to be compelling. The grind that followed not so much. I wouldn't pay 30 for it though, considering it was free on PS plus a few months back and has been out for a while now.

It’s a great game, but you will get weary of killing the colosi over and over and over again, if you are going for the platinum, it does get very tedious.

You will enjoy the first play through the most. Morally, it just doesn’t feel great killing the colosi when most of the time they are minding there own business and peaceful creatures until provoked by you! 

Sadly they didn’t improve the controls for this remaster, the AI is awkward at times. That said it looks beautiful.  

Edited by ziggypop_79

No.

The game is greatly overrated and does more bad than it does good. Outside good graphics and music, the game tries to differentiate itself from the usual approach 3D action-adventure games have, but it falters in most of those areas. There's already some topics and post on this forum that describe why this game truly isn't that great. I thought I would love the game because of the lack of hand-holding (when you turn the hints off) and heavy scripting, the emphasis on exploration (which turned out to be basically for only finding the next colossi, and it wasn't as fun as expected), and how interesting the story seemed initially based on the first two (because they play closely after each other) of four cutscenes in the entire game, but more time with and a deeper look into the game after mastering the basics showed me how the overall game is utterly not that good. Aspects about the game I enjoy/enjoyed are/were overshadowed by too much of what doesn't and didn't work. A lack of some quality of life features contributes to that as well. $30 can be spent on much better games.

I never played the original but I would say this game is more tailored to the old fans. as a new player:

Pros:

- game looks amazing and the art style is gorgeous

- the themes are well done and the story although basic still suits the game and feels meaningful

Cons:

- controls for the player, horse and camera are awful in my opinion, but this is due to it being a remake of the original controls so obviously you can't expect them to feel like most current games. the controls alone are what made me slowly plow through this game just to finish it and be over with

- I was forced to google how to defeat some of the Colossi, and I hated doing that. I always prefer to figure it out for myself but there were some cases where I felt like I'd tried every way to attack the colossi properly.

- on terms of getting the platinum? not recommended: too many playthroughs required, including a speed run.. all just to slowly upgrade health and stamina

Conclusion: not worth $30, but still worth trying for at least half the price

but hey.. that's just my opinion :)

It's more than worth that price in my opinion. I've played the hell out of this game on PS2, PS3, and PS4, and it was worth the purchase each and every time. My favorite game, and truly a masterpiece.

The controls and camera can be somewhat tough to deal with, but I never had as much of an issue as many people claim. They really aren't that hard to get the hang of. There is indeed a story, but it's very vague. Practically nothing is outright explained to you, and many, many, things are left unanswered. The graphics are beautiful and the world feels mysterious. I consider the gameplay fun, although many consider it boring. Puzzle solving and boss battles are my favorite parts of video games, and the colossi combine both of those.

Edited by danceswithsloths
  • Like 1