Favorite Voice Actors in Games ?

Cloudbahamut

44 minutes ago, Bluefalcon2210 said:

I personally am I really big fan of Nolan North i've met him in person as well and he was great such a nice guy, I also think Laura Bailey is fantastic, Troy baker depends on the role for me I guess, Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill as Batman and Joker are just iconic your probably never gonna find 2 better people to voice those roles. Roger Craig smith as Christ Redfield was also a favourite of mine I was really dissapointed when he was recast. Ashley Burch As Aloy and Chloe from LiS is also a standout for me as well and finally I can't forget Ashley Johnson as Ellie from The Last of Us.

I wonder if Roger Craig Smith will be brought back for Resi 8. Would make sense since the Chris in 8 seems to be the real thing rather than the watered down budget Chris we got in 7. 

Wishful thinking? 

I'm surprised only one person mentioned Michael Ironside. His voice is iconic. The Splinter Cell series are my favorite. 

It's a shame Ubisoft has no plans for a new game, but they will make a Netflix serie apparently. 

James McCaffrey as Max Payne is also fantastic!  

Edited by NTGSruler
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Alderriz said:

MGS had some exceptional voice acting for 1998. That game felt truly cinematic and pushed the industry forward, and the big reason for that was the phenomenal localisation work and talented voice actors. The obvious answer of course is David Hayter. He is the voice of Snake, he made that character feel alive. But I want to focus on the VA who played Liquid Snake - Cam Clarke. This is the ultimate villain voice. Such brilliant acting in all those mologues, I can listen to them all day. Sure, it's not 2020 level Hollywood acting like it is in modern games, but it's perfect for an 1980s action movie style game, which MGS was. I still love it all those years later.

Also, I want to throw in a fun fact for you. Spyro in Spyro 2 and 3 on PS1 (as well as in the Reignited trilogy) was voiced by the VA of SpongeBob in the animated show - Tom Kenny. 

Right on! Didn't know that about Spyro, great thing. :D

Cam Clarke is one of the oldest VA that are doing the good job still. First heard him in Robotech/Macross as Max Sterling, my favorite character from the series and also as Andrei Ulmeyda from Killer7, on of the best side characters ever. Don't even want to mention that iconic Liquid Snake voice! :D

Also, the Voice of Revolver Ocelot from mgs1, 2 and 4, Patrick Zimmerman, man that voice is such fitting for the character and so bad ass. Troy Baker did a really good job with Ocelot in MGSV and I really liked that he tried to sound like a younger version of Zimmerman's Ocelot! 

Edited by Ptirle
  • Like 1

I tend to not nominate Troy Baker or Nolan North in these kinds of posts because they are great, but are so commonplace now i feel like it goes without saying. These are the ones that have really stood out for me recently: 

Debra Wilson

• Great voice actress and I hope we get to see her in more stuff. She knocked it out of the park as Cere Junda in Star Wars Jedi:Fallen Order and as Grace Walker in Wolfenstein 

Ashley Burch

• She has voiced loads of great characters, but she will have a special place in my heart for her work as Aloy in Horizon ZD and Tiny Tina in the Borderlands franchise

Courtnee Draper

• As one of the nicest voices i've ever heard. She was Elizabeth in Bioshock Infinite and Sarah Whitaker in Days Gone

Hidenari Ugaki

• The voice of Majima in the Yakuza franchise and really iconic if you are a fan of the franchise imo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jonesey46 said:

I wonder if Roger Craig Smith will be brought back for Resi 8. Would make sense since the Chris in 8 seems to be the real thing rather than the watered down budget Chris we got in 7. 

Wishful thinking? 

The reason why Capcom replaced pretty much every VA after RE 6 is that they no longer want to use VA who are part of the Union (which is cheaper). All the VA's in RE Revelations 2, RE 7 and the RE 2 and 3 Remakes were non-union and very unknown, younger talent.  All the big VA stars like Baker, Bailey, North, Craig-Smith, Mercer etc. are Union members and that's why Capcom replaced them. So while Roger is the definitive Chris for me, I really wouldn't expect him to return to RE anytime soon.

Edited by Cloudbahamut

2 minutes ago, Cloudbahamut said:

The reason why Capcom replaced pretty much every VA after RE 6 is that they no longer want to use VA who are part of the Union Guild (which is cheaper). All the VA's in RE Revelations 2, RE 7 and the RE 2 and 3 Remakes were non-union and very unknown, younger talent.  All the big VA stars like Baker, Bailey, North, Craig-Smith, Mercer etc. are Union members and that's why Capcom replaced them. So while Roger is the definitive Chris for me, I really wouldn't expect him to return to RE anytime soon.

One thing that I really wanna complain about RE series is that Capcom keeps replacing English VAs. Why can't they let Patricia Ja Lee be the VA of Jill? Why replaced Alyson Court with other VAs? (*sigh) Guess I'll switch to Japanese dubs so those character vocals are always consistent. It couldn't be wrong with Touchi Hiroki, Jouji Nakata, Yuya Atsuko, Toshiyuki Morikawa, Yuuko Kaida and Maaya Sakamoto cuz all of them are my favorite VAs lol

Just now, Astray404 said:

One thing that I really wanna complain about RE series is that Capcom keeps replacing English VAs. Why can't they let Patricia Ja Lee be the VA of Jill? Why replaced Alyson Court with other VAs? (*sigh) Guess I'll switch to Japanese dubs so those character vocals are always consistent. It couldn't be wrong with Touchi Hiroki, Jouji Nakata, Yuya Atsuko, Toshiyuki Morikawa, Yuuko Kaida and Maaya Sakamoto cuz all of them are my favorite VAs lol

Money. That's really the main reason. It's why they switched to non-union VAs. It's simply cheaper for them. I agree that Patricia was hands down the best Jill ever (though Nicole Tompkins who voiced her in RE3R is a really awesome person and very passionate about RE) but she really voiced Jill only once (well okay twice if we count Umbrella Chronicles). And Patricia isn't really working much in VA for games. RE is pretty much the only thing she did in that area and she hasn't been a lot of voice acting in the last 5 years. Her biggest thing was Power Rangers and that was 20 years ago.

6 minutes ago, Cloudbahamut said:

Money. That's really the main reason. It's why they switched to non-union VAs. It's simply cheaper for them. I agree that Patricia was hands down the best Jill ever (though Nicole Tompkins who voiced her in RE3R is a really awesome person and very passionate about RE) but she really voiced Jill only once (well okay twice if we count Umbrella Chronicles). And Patricia isn't really working much in VA for games. RE is pretty much the only thing she did in that area and she hasn't been a lot of voice acting in the last 5 years. Her biggest thing was Power Rangers and that was 20 years ago.

I'm not sure about the pricing difference between English and Japanese VAs, do English VAs cost more?

Nicole Tompkins did pretty well in RE3R although the personality of Jill is a lot different from old RE games

Edited by Astray404

Just now, Astray404 said:

I'm not sure about the pricing difference between English and Japanese VAs, do English VAs cost more?

Nicole Tompkins did pretty well in RE3R although the personality of Jill is a lot  different from old RE games

No it's because of Union . Many of the bigger english VAs are part of a Union and hiring them costs more then hiring unknown non-union VAs. VAs who are part of the union are ensured to get more money. Same thing as the Writers Guild or the Directors guild etc. If you are part of such a guild or union you have a higher payment status and can negotiate better deals for yourselves.

I don't know if there is a union for asian VAs but probably not, which is why Capcom does not replace their japanese VAs.

2 minutes ago, Cloudbahamut said:

No it's because of Union . Many of the bigger english VAs are part of a Union and hiring them costs more then hiring unknown non-union VAs. VAs who are part of the union are ensured to get more money. Same thing as the Writers Guild or the Directors guild etc. If you are part of such a guild or union you have a higher payment status and can negotiate better deals for yourselves.

I don't know if there is a union for asian VAs but probably not, which is why Capcom does not replace their japanese VAs.

IIRC Japan does have VA management companies like Aoni, 81 Produce and Arts Vision. Those companies will basically provide VAs with better opportunities and promotions, but it might be different from a union

6 hours ago, jonesey46 said:

Wishful thinking? 

Knowing Capcom and the amount of times they recast the characters it probably sadly is wishful thinking :(

Actor has to voice more than one favorite character for me to list them. Otherwise, I'd be listing a large variety voice actors for just just one character they did that I like.

Melissa Hutchison (Clementine from Telltales' The Walking Dead, Merlina from I forgot, Bianca from Spyro)

Jason Griffith (Sonic and Shadow mainly, which in terms of voice performance he is still the best of, and Jet)

Despite some issues with, Troy Baker for his work on Pagan Min from Far Cry 4, Joel from The Last of Us, and Sam Morgan from the Uncharted series even though I despise the character's concept. There's about 1-2 more characters he did I don't feel like searching for.

Laura Bailey (Blaze the Cat from Sonic—2010-2019, Fetch from inFAMOUS First Light/Second Son, Mary Jane from Marvel's Spider-Man)