Welcoming the Talented Teams and Beloved Game Franchises of Bethesda to Xbox

Xylobe

4 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

Considering how Bethesda have utterly destroyed the lore and mythos of the Fallout universe, thanks to numerous pointless retcons and a flagrant disregard for canon, as far I'm concerned, Microsoft can keep them and their broken, near unplayable games. If you want to play any Bugthesda game in anywhere near a playable state, buy it for the PC then mod the hell out of it.

Yeah, agreed. When a company is collectively known for lying and releasing broken-at-launch $60 games, I fail to see how that's sustainable for their business after a while.

Edited by griffin123456789

I'm surprised that Microsoft even wanted to buy them in the first place. I mean, F76 was a failure all the way through, but Prey, Wolfenstein Youngblood, The Evil Within, even Dishonored, were all kind of a flop when it comes to sales, + people have got enough of Skyrim on every fucking console, it's a meme at this point. I hope something good will come out of it since I love Doom, Wolfenstein, TEW, Prey and Dishonored IPs, but to me, the Fallout franchise under the same developer is done for me. 

• Like 1

I don't want to make it worse but rumor has it that MS already has bought another big publisher/studio, even bigger than bethesda and only waits until the current situation has cooled down a bit until they announce that. But of course, it's a rumor, so it might be BS.

If you want to keep playing Bethesda games (or any games by assimilated studios) you can always jump into XCloud relatively cheap and play the games via streaming. 

But yeah, the purchase is sick. My main system is XBox so it's not that big of a problem because I just use the PS4 and soon PS5 for the exclusives, but for PS only players, it's really tough pill to swallow.

Edited by cyphron_

I'm concerned about this kinda thing becoming the norm in the future, big acquisitions whittling down the third party market.

21 minutes ago, cyphron_ said:

I don't want to make it worse but rumor has it that MS already has bought another big publisher/studio, even bigger than bethesda and only waits until the current situation has cooled down a bit until they announce that. But of course, it's a rumor, so it might be BS.

I don't doubt that they want to/ plan to buy more studios, but if they have already why wait on announcing it? It is prime time to make these big announcements at cusp of a new console generation.

Edited by bikeman223
Clarity

14 minutes ago, bikeman223 said:

I don't doubt that they want to/ plan to buy more studios, but if they already have why wait? It is the prime time to make these big announcements at cusp of a new console generation.

because they know that owning studios doesn't mean much If the Xbox in general has a stupid policy when it comes to exclusives. They can have the most talented game designers in the world. but if they keep making games for both Xbox and PC, they will lose another console generation. Again.

29 minutes ago, griffin123456789 said:

You do know Fallout 76 was a thing right? Not trying to sound like a dick, but that game had perhaps the most universal critical panning of any AAA game in decades. Plus most fans I talk to weren't as enthusiastic with Fallout 4 as they were with New Vegas. Small complaint, sure, but when their next game in the series is 76, it's absolutely understandable why many are doubtful of them now.

There are many reasons why one should be careful before buying a Bethesda game. I know I've made this mistake before, buying Brink at release, at this point buying a game off them blindly is like playing Russian Roulette. Anyway, the only point I was trying to make is that, Bethesda didn't destroy what Fallout once was, it was already dead to begin with, and they revived it with plenty good games, such as Fallout 3. And yes: Fallout 76 was a disgrace, not to mention their awful business practices (duffel bag, nuka dark rum)

31 minutes ago, PeachXHime said:

There are many reasons why one should be careful before buying a Bethesda game. I know I've made this mistake before, buying Brink at release, at this point buying a game off them blindly is like playing Russian Roulette. Anyway, the only point I was trying to make is that, Bethesda didn't destroy what Fallout once was, it was already dead to begin with, and they revived it with plenty good games, such as Fallout 3. And yes: Fallout 76 was a disgrace, not to mention their awful business practices (duffel bag, nuka dark rum)

3 is my favourite Fallout game but as well as being a technical disaster, the story takes massive liberties with canon and retcons a lot of things :(.

11 hours ago, HaserPL said:

because they know that owning studios doesn't mean much If the Xbox in general has a stupid policy when it comes to exclusives. They can have the most talented game designers in the world. but if they keep making games for both Xbox and PC, they will lose another console generation. Again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51400135

Don't you know that Sony and Nintendo are small time? Microsoft does not even waste time thinking about them as they're too busy competing against Google and Amazon. Microsoft are beating Google's Stadia so they're number 1.

35 minutes ago, Rozalia1 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51400135

Don't you know that Sony and Nintendo are small time? Microsoft does not even waste time thinking about them as they're too busy competing against Google and Amazon. Microsoft are beating Google's Stadia so they're number 1.

So they shouldn't have invested in the console market. You can't be number one in everything.

14 hours ago, PeachXHime said:

To an extent that's true, but when the OG creators of Fallout came back to make New Vegas, it outclassed every Bethesda Fallout game. Same goes for Outer Worlds based on what I've heard (I've played NV but not Outer Worlds yet, though it looks infinitely more interesting than something like 76). I don't think Bethesda ruined it beyond repair, but it definitely hasn't lived up to the standards of its contemporaries. In general, they are too stubborn to admit that they need to create a new engine or adapt to an existing one. Their current attitude towards making RPGs isn't smart considering all the evidence in their opposition.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HaserPL said:

So they shouldn't have invested in the console market. You can't be number one in everything.

The giant orange juice company doesn't worry that Timmy down the road outsells them in lemonade. Gamepass is what decides if they're winning or not. They have more than Google and Amazon so they're winning. Sony and PlayStation Now is small time stuff and Nintendo ain't even in the running. 

Forget that the profit you make is the ultimate decider in who is on top, all of that will come in good time. Microsoft are visionaries for doing what they're doing (ignore that Sony released PlayStation Now before they went into this direction).

56 minutes ago, Rozalia1 said:

Microsoft are visionaries for doing what they're doing (ignore that Sony released PlayStation Now before they went into this direction).

Streaming games and locking their users into a service isn't innovation. It's simply another spin on the same subscription model we've had for decades. 

If anything it's damaging the industry even further than it already is. Knock out physical games with streaming and you'll see even more problems with games being incomplete at launch (Avengers anyone?)

Gaming is a dumpster fire currently, with the way things are going.

Edited by VigilantCrow
  • Like 1

On 10/20/2020 at 5:27 AM, PeachXHime said:

The stuff that Bethesda simply publishes hasn't been that bad I don't think. I immensely enjoyed both Wolfenstein: The New Order and Wolfenstein: The Old Blood, and the people who have handled both DOOM 2016 and DOOM Eternal did a good job. The stuff that comes out of Bethesda themselves is a lot more the real issue.

The best of the "modern" Fallouts is Fallout: New Vegas. There was plenty of neat stuff in there that I sorely wish was in Fallout 4, but wasn't. Fallout 4 was just a huge disappointment for me, the game just felt very off putting in my opinion. New Vegas on the other hand had people who have known the series from the very beginning.

Fallout 1 & Fallout 2 are old as fuck, we all know this, but they were completely groundbreaking for their time. Fallout 4 just felt so far and away from the gritty, haunting atmosphere the old Fallouts had. There was a Super Mutant army commanded by the Master who was rooted deep under a cathedral of apeshit fanatics. There was a highly advanced group called the Enclave with a brute named Frank Horrigan, a giant killing machine who terrorized innocent people, and took in tribals as captive. This was all highly fascinating and intriguing, as Fallout pretty much helped western RPGs expand beyond the fantasy castle themes they were widely known for in the past.

While your choices mattered in both Fallout 3 and New Vegas to an extent, they didn't seem to matter nearly as much in Fallout 4. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim in comparison had more going for it in terms of RPG elements, and having NPCs going by an actual schedule depending on the time of day. In Fallout 4? Not really. I imagine it's even worse with Fallout 76, which I would compare with Activision/Blizzard's Warcraft 3 Reforged in terms of how much people have panned them both.

Fallout 76 was simply an idea to put the Fallout universe in an online only game, much like The Elder Scrolls Online. It didn't work.

14 hours ago, VigilantCrow said:

Streaming games and locking their users into a service isn't innovation. It's simply another spin on the same subscription model we've had for decades. 

If anything it's damaging the industry even further than it already is. Knock out physical games with streaming and you'll see even more problems with games being incomplete at launch (Avengers anyone?)

Gaming is a dumpster fire currently, with the way things are going.

One reason why I'm not rushing to buy a PlayStation 5.

14 hours ago, Spaz said:

The stuff that Bethesda simply publishes hasn't been that bad I don't think. I immensely enjoyed both Wolfenstein: The New Order and Wolfenstein: The Old Blood, and the people who have handled both DOOM 2016 and DOOM Eternal did a good job. The stuff that comes out of Bethesda themselves is a lot more the real issue.

The best of the "modern" Fallouts is Fallout: New Vegas. There was plenty of neat stuff in there that I sorely wish was in Fallout 4, but wasn't. Fallout 4 was just a huge disappointment for me, the game just felt very off putting in my opinion. New Vegas on the other hand had people who have known the series from the very beginning.

Fallout 1 & Fallout 2 are old as fuck, we all know this, but they were completely groundbreaking for their time. Fallout 4 just felt so far and away from the gritty, haunting atmosphere the old Fallouts had. There was a Super Mutant army commanded by the Master who was rooted deep under a cathedral of apeshit fanatics. There was a highly advanced group called the Enclave with a brute named Frank Horrigan, a giant killing machine who terrorized innocent people, and took in tribals as captive. This was all highly fascinating and intriguing, as Fallout pretty much helped western RPGs expand beyond the fantasy castle themes they were widely known for in the past.

While your choices mattered in both Fallout 3 and New Vegas to an extent, they didn't seem to matter nearly as much in Fallout 4. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim in comparison had more going for it in terms of RPG elements, and having NPCs going by an actual schedule depending on the time of day. In Fallout 4? Not really. I imagine it's even worse with Fallout 76, which I would compare with Activision/Blizzard's Warcraft 3 Reforged in terms of how much people have panned them both.

Fallout 76 was simply an idea to put the Fallout universe in an online only game, much like The Elder Scrolls Online. It didn't work.

One reason why I'm not rushing to buy a PlayStation 5.

I have a soft spot for New Vegas because it has oldschool soundtrack and because Marcus makes an appearance.

I do love Fallout 3 just as much, I think it has the best setting of all the "new" Fallouts, very barren and empty world captured very well, it was easy for me to get lost in its world.

Fallout 1 and 2 are dare I say some of the best games ever made, infinite replayability and the atmosphere is rivaled by none. I will never forget the random event where Horrigan and his crew slaughters innocent people and all you can do is stand there and watch. These games couldn't be re-released in their original, unadulterated state due to all the controversial game features (it would give nowadays' media a heart attack) but I do have some hope because Baldur's Gate 1, 2 and Icewind Dale also appeared on console.

4 hours ago, PeachXHime said:

I have a soft spot for New Vegas because it has oldschool soundtrack and because Marcus makes an appearance.

I do love Fallout 3 just as much, I think it has the best setting of all the "new" Fallouts, very barren and empty world captured very well, it was easy for me to get lost in its world.

New Vegas did the best in the modern era Fallouts in what it was trying to do. 

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Skyrim I felt have been the best games Bethesda made, despite Skyrim having its fair share of technical issues. 

Fallout 76 from what I’ve seen of it is just an embarrassment. Now everyone is saying there’s a good chance Bethesda will fuck up the next Elder Scrolls installment. Seems big companies that do good fuck up sooner or later.

4 hours ago, PeachXHime said:

These games couldn't be re-released in their original, unadulterated state due to all the controversial game features (it would give nowadays' media a heart attack) but I do have some hope because Baldur's Gate 1, 2 and Icewind Dale also appeared on console.

Oh believe me they will give them a heart attack. Today’s media being full of shit, makes perfect sense.

I don’t know. Baldur’s Gate 1 & 2, and Icewind Dale always did best on PC. Not sure how they made them compatible with a PS4 controller. All three games are available for cheap on Steam, so for anyone wanting a good old classic Dungeons & Dragons style RPG, those games are some of the best you’ll ever find in that genre.

9 minutes ago, Spaz said:

New Vegas did the best in the modern era Fallouts in what it was trying to do. 

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Skyrim I felt have been the best games Bethesda made, despite Skyrim having its fair share of technical issues. 

Fallout 76 from what I’ve seen of it is just an embarrassment. Now everyone is saying there’s a good chance Bethesda will fuck up the next Elder Scrolls installment. Seems big companies that do good fuck up sooner or later.

Oh believe me they will give them a heart attack. Today’s media being full of shit, makes perfect sense.

I don’t know. Baldur’s Gate 1 & 2, and Icewind Dale always did best on PC. Not sure how they made them compatible with a PS4 controller. All three games are available for cheap on Steam, so for anyone wanting a good old classic Dungeons & Dragons style RPG, those games are some of the best you’ll ever find in that genre.

oh damn, if Skyrim is one of the best bethesda games, and I think it's shit, I wonder how the rest of their games would appeal to me

2 hours ago, NOWITSREYNTIME17 said:

oh damn, if Skyrim is one of the best bethesda games, and I think it's shit, I wonder how the rest of their games would appeal to me

Skyrim is still far better than Bethesda's newer stuff. From what I've been told the remaster on the PS4/Xbox One runs a lot better, I had issues with the game on the Xbox 360. I heard the issues were even worse with the PS3.

8 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Skyrim is still far better than Bethesda's newer stuff. From what I've been told the remaster on the PS4/Xbox One runs a lot better, I had issues with the game on the Xbox 360. I heard the issues were even worse with the PS3.

I played the PS4 version and it was maybe one of the worst games I have played imo, so that's why I dont see any other game being any better if that's one of their best

Just now, NOWITSREYNTIME17 said:

I played the PS4 version and it was maybe one of the worst games I have played imo, so that's why I dont see any other game being any better if that's one of their best

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion was my favorite. Then again I was much younger back in 2006 so that could be just me being a bit biased.

Sad to see the complete 180 of Bethesda.

• 4 months later...
1 minute ago, SnowxSakura said:

Some games will be exclusive according to Phil Spencer

https://www.siliconera.com/some-bethesda-games-will-be-exclusive-to-xbox-and-pc-players/

Time will tell if this is just spin or if they carry through with anything with mass appeal. 

I can see this later being revised after something was exclusive for a year and then announcing a release on Playstation. 

22 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Some games will be exclusive according to Phil Spencer

https://www.siliconera.com/some-bethesda-games-will-be-exclusive-to-xbox-and-pc-players/

I really don't see how this is a surprise, I've said this all along Microsoft didn't spend billions of dollars buying bethesda to release every game if any game on Playstation. The whole point of this entire thing in my opinion was Game Pass like pretty much every decision Microsoft makes these days is all about Game Pass it's Microsoft's main goal.

27 minutes ago, Bluefalcon2210 said:

I really don't see how this is a surprise, I've said this all along Microsoft didn't spend billions of dollars buying bethesda to release every game if any game on Playstation. The whole point of this entire thing in my opinion was Game Pass like pretty much every decision Microsoft makes these days is all about Game Pass it's Microsoft's main goal.

Billions of dollars to proclaim "some" games.

• Like 2