The confirm button on PS5 will be X instead of O going forward in Japan

Ghost

"Due to such circumstances, in the past, PlayStation often broke up with "◯" decisions for Japanese games and "×" decisions for Western games. You can switch between them in your system settings, but not all games follow, and playing games on your PC or Xbox was confusing.

This time, in SIE, "x" will be decided in all settings including Japanese games. It can be seen that this is suitable for Europe and the United States, but it has a strong meaning of "to avoid changing the buttons used between the system and the game in an environment where games from multiple countries are played. (SIE public relations)"

AV Watch - https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=ja&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fav.watch.impress.co.jp%2Fdocs%2Fseries%2Frt%2F1280705.html&sandbox=1

• Like 3

I agree that it's better if it's standardised across all PlayStation.

However, I disagree that X = OK. In no other context in life it's like this.

And for the Japanese people, who use O and X in their everyday life (we usually use a checkmark instead of O to mean OK), this is going to be complete mindf*ck.

If I had to choose how to make it standard, I would've gone the other way. O = OK, X = Cancel.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Soraking1991 said:

I agree that it's better if it's standardised across all PlayStation.

However, I disagree that X = OK. In no other context in life it's like this.

And for the Japanese people, who use O and X in their everyday life (we usually use a checkmark instead of O to mean OK), this is going to be complete mindf*ck.

If I had to choose how to make it standard, I would've gone the other way. O = OK, X = Cancel.

Normally it is Press X to confirm or X to continue, so why change it all of a sudden? 

X was always the OK/Join Button and O was always the Cancel/Back Button since the beginning of time. And it will ever be.

29 minutes ago, HellcoreFire said:

.Down is down, up is up.

NOBODY plays so. Down is Up and will always be.

Edited by Sikutai
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ZN-42-VS said:

Normally it is Press X to confirm or X to continue, so why change it all of a sudden? 

That is true for all PlayStations other than the Japanese. On their behalf you could say the same thing: "it has always been O to confirm, so why change it all of a sudden?". They even use those symbols with those meanings in their everyday life (outside PlayStation).

Again, outside of PlayStation, we use X to say "no" or "cancel" in everything we do (especially online).

Worldwide: 

YES => ✅ => :cross:

NO => ❎ => :circle:

Japan:

YES => ⭕ => :circle:

NO => ❌ => :cross:

Given that PlayStation has decided to change this, I would make it so that we ignore what we've known for forever (in PlayStation) and change it to what makes more sense in this world of symbols we live in.

Edited by Soraking1991
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, HellcoreFire said:

I'm glad it's cross instead of circle now. No more confusion. Now to get rid of that unneeded inverted nonsense too. Down is down, up is up.

Quite the opposite. They need to add an option in the console settings that lets you turn on invert so that all games read that and apply it by default.

There's a very large percentage of gamers, myself included, who can only play games inverted - non-inverted is 'wrong' and mechanically not correct. Thankfully, NACON sent me their Unlimited Revolution Pro controller for review a while ago and it lets you invert the axis' at a hardware level with the flick of a switch. So, if any games don't support inverted Y, I can do it via the controller :)

• Like 3

Lmao, I've played several Japanese games but never thought of this, recently finished 'Jump Force' a few days ago and yeah, it's confusing when you're playing both western and eastern games in a short period of time. But tbh, didn't bother me too much

This is actually very easy to understand, in Japan :circle: "Maru" (circle in japanese) japanese people always use "Maru" when something is correct and they actually do the form of maru with their arms or with a random toy.

In other hand if something is wrong or you did a mistake they say "batsu" (罰) which mean "penalty" and the ilustration of "batsu" is a :cross:

Spoiler

Maru Batsu Quiz | Kobe JET

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soraking1991 said:

That is true for all PlayStations other than the Japanese. On their behalf you could say the same thing: "it has always been O to confirm, so why change it all of a sudden?". They even use those symbols with those meanings in their everyday life (outside PlayStation).

Again, outside of PlayStation, we use X to say "no" or "cancel" in everything we do (especially online).

Worldwide: 

YES => 2705.png => :cross:

NO => 274e.png => :circle:

Japan:

YES => 2b55.png => :circle:

NO => 274c.png => :cross:

Given that PlayStation has decided to change this, I would make it so that we ignore what we've known for forever (in PlayStation) and change it to what makes more sense in this world of symbols we live in.

Because I think SCEA back in the day's decision to change it from Japan was more about placement than the symbols. In most western games the bottom button is confirm, that's 'x' on PS. So...

It makes sense both ways, but for different reasons. Ultimately this is a silly change that nobody wanted. "Wow, now all those Japanese gamers can go back and forth between their Xbox and PlayStation no problem!" ?

• Like 1