PS4 system software update 8.00 launching today

Ghost

This is just an informative message of what was already being a thing.

People can record your voice if you don’t have the option unchecked, unless that changed too with this.

Anyway, is all about snitching, or someone harassing, threatening you or others. There is freedom of expression for everything else.

• Like 2

It could easily be made clearer. Such as

"may be recorded and sent to us"

->

"may be recorded and sent to us using the Playstation 4 'Report Abuse" button"

There is a simple reason why disclaimers like this are usually vague, it is so it can include a wide range of conditions, that somebody might think of later.

We are now living George Orwell's hell world of 1984, a place where you can't even trust your own friends and family not to snitch on you. For the record, I have read Animal Farm and seen the film versions of 1984 so I know what he was warning us about.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 2

I don't like the sound of this. But as long as i can check the button other people can't record my voice its all good. I had some disturbing messages about how much someone liked my voice on more than one occasion, if my wife found out she would have to sleep on the couch :(.

If you are saying things that are ban or moderation worthy to your own friends and they think so, that's kind of a you problem and not a sony problem lmao. What could you possibly be saying to your own friends that got you so scared?

They aren't constantly listening. Your friends can, and have always been able to, record and send those recordings that include you, unless your setting was different. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HuntingFever said:

After doing some digging around, it turns out you can turn this crap off by going to the "Allow your voice to be shared" option in the Party Settings menu and unticking it :).

Yeah, I remember that.

Nothing was loading on the XMB and I seen the comments on the blog and people were going crazy about it.  Thought they changed their policy. My fault.

Just now, Fizzgiglatte said:

If you are saying things that are ban or moderation worthy to your own friends and they think so, that's kind of a you problem and not a sony problem lmao. What could you possibly be saying to your own friends that got you so scared?

They aren't constantly listening. Your friends can, and have always been able to, record and send those recordings that include you, unless your setting was different. 

Well firstly anything can be deemed offensive by anyone. Yes ,I do play with my friends, but i run the largest guild on the Tera EU server and run multiple raids this is chats with 16 people. Now I obviously will tell people to stop if they are being rude or saying stuff. However with something like this in place even if the person was told off and in worst case scecnario for them kicked out of the group/raid, it seems a bit unfair for them to get banned and potentially lose an account worth a few thousand. 

If we are talking about individual parties one on one or small groups then yes i can definitely see why this would be helpful in those situations, but frankly i don't see how any conversation can be elevated to a point that you invite a friend or individual into a chat and then think we are friends but totally getting your account banned. That seems messed up. Essentially i can't see a context where this makes sense. Most offensive stuff happens in an in game chat, where i hear some really messed up stuff and yet we can't even get those guys banned.

You've always been able to do this with the simple record function and have party audio on in the background, then upload it to youtube or something; they're just now outright telling us about it, and it's actually BETTER now because there's an option to disable being recorded if you don't want to be. (and I'm pretty sure they listened in on the parties before too.)

• Like 2

Can confirm its the update thats broken things. My friends invited me fine to a party I joined but got a message saying different software blah blah. So parties and friends work on update before. Wether this is an actual update bug or just servers no updating with new updateI dunno.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shxrpay said:

You've always been able to do this with the simple record function and have party audio on in the background, then upload it to youtube or something; they're just now outright telling us about it, and it's actually BETTER now because there's an option to disable being recorded if you don't want to be. (and I'm pretty sure they listened in on the parties before too.)

The wording suggests sony could record and store everything.

15 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

After doing some digging around, it turns out you can turn this crap off by going to the "Allow your voice to be shared" option in the Party Settings menu and unticking it :).

That option was already there before but it's meant to avoid your voice being shared when someone in the party streams or records gameplay and has party chat enabled for this. 

But this new disclaimer sounds like Sony can now somehow store party chats and people in those chats can report them. 

This is something completely different from my understanding.