Why is this game considered great?

Eternal21

not sure. i played it because it was winning all these "awards" and such. But I've never really seen the love for it. I liked the dog. That's about it. Its very average.

I also didnt like Binding of Issac, thats another one people love. 

i definitely think undertale is a 4/10. Yeah i don't think highly of it. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

I also didnt like Binding of Issac, thats another one people love.

I actually didn't mind Binding of Isaac.  At least one can see the appeal with the rouglelike runs and the fun combinations of items.  But other than soundtrack, I found almost nothing enjoyable about Undertale. 

• Like 4

I'm not enjoying it. Although I'm certainly old enough to remember when these graphics would have been cutting edge, I didn't own a games console back then so the nostalgia is lost on me. Some of the mini boss battles are frustrating, the gameplay is extremely bland, the 'RPG' element is wafer thin. It's far from the worst game I've ever played but it is nowhere near good! 

• Like 2

On 12/20/2020 at 9:24 PM, Eternal21 said:

For years I've been hearing how great this game is on various gaming podcasts.  I added it to my wishlist when it came to PS4, and then patiently waited until it went on sale.  I'm glad I did, because I didn't enjoy it at all.  The only saving grace is that once I realized the game is not for me it only took an hour to wrap up the remaining trophies, delete the game off the console, and call it a day.

What the hell am I missing here?

Bro, it’s such a good game you just need to git gud at seeing that Undertale is a masterpiece of design.

All jokes aside, people praised this game for its charming characters, unorthodox approaches to each encounter, and a cool soundtrack. That’s probably why people love it so much. I personally enjoyed it, and it’s perfectly fine if you don’t. Just don’t tell the hardcore Undertale fans that, else you’ll be receiving a swarm of hate messages.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I personally enjoyed this game when I brought it on PC a long time ago, haven't been back to it in a while but that's okay for me, as for why people consider it a great game is always going to be down to the person themself. Me personally don't get why many love games like CoD and such but I won't question why they like it, just that I know it's not for me.

It's kind of like any game out there, people can grow attrached to the characters, the settings and/or story, though it will never be for every one and that's okay in my book.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think that music and writing are the biggest reasons why so many people love it. I also love it, but maybe its just a niche that some people get into and some don't. If you mostly care about game mechanics and graphics then you probably would be bored, since I think its the quirky characters and weirdly heartwarming story that pulls most people in. 

• 5 months later...

Different strokes for different folks. I wasn't a huge fan either. I thought the different choices and the game remembering what you've done is cool, but I was kinda already spoiled about that long before I played it due to people harping on and on about it (it's not like I was even trying to find spoilers for the game, just had friends and the internet in general spoil it for me). The whole "RPG where no one has to die" is an interesting premise, but it often feels like it tries to use that far too often as its hooking point, which often leaves the world building. character development and other aspects feel kinda neglected and less polished.

The music is pretty great though, I still listen to song of the OST now and then. The characters were a little too one dimensional for my liking, but I can see why people would like 'em. The gameplay was really not all there, wasn't a fan of the weird shmup style battles at all, but I appreciate the devs trying to do something different. I much preferred the battle system in Deltarune.

As someone who loves the Mother/Earthbound series, it felt like a nice little homage to it, but I definitely wouldn't say it's one of the greatest games ever created.