Why is this game considered great?

Eternal21

What I enjoyed about it was it was a nice twist on the RPG genre, charming/unique characters, and neat retro pixel graphics. Having an alternate path to fighting, the little mini-game during battles, the quirky dialogue. Charm is what did it for me! And I'm a sucker for pixel graphics since I was raised during the NES era.

Most fanbases take things a little too far, but I think it's worth a play through if you ever liked retro turn-based RPGs :dunno:

I mostly enjoyed the humor, and schtick sprinkled throughout the game. And it was enjoyable for what it was. I don't think it was the best, or anything; but fun and simple enough to at least give the game a chance. 

On 8/6/2021 at 7:28 AM, tranquility101 said:

Most fanbases take things a little too far, but I think it's worth a play through if you ever liked retro turn-based RPGs :dunno:

And I couldn't agree more to when it pertains to certain fanbases for anything not just games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhaleesiFireRose said:

I mostly enjoyed the humor, and schtick sprinkled throughout the game. And it was enjoyable for what it was. I don't think it was the best, or anything; but fun and simple enough to at least give the game a chance. 

And I couldn't agree more to when it pertains to certain fanbases for anything not just games.

Same here, It wasn't "special" or "extremly great". But I enjoyed playing it and this is what matters to me. The soundtrack whatever is great imo. I'm a sucker for good music, OSTs or soundtracks.

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/12/2020 at 3:43 AM, enaysoft said:

I saw the gfx and just thought wtf, how is a game with NES style graphics getting all this praise?

However, It is very cleverly written, has very amusing gameplay hooks (that could only be done in a videogame setting ) and does quite a lot of things that other games don't do in general (without spoiling anything), especially on PC.

Also, a bullet hell dodgery RPG battle game is a pretty unique combination of gameplay.

It's certainly an acquired taste, but of course I think the game is great.

Just because you hear of a game getting super praised, that doesn't automatically mean that everyone will like it. That's just life.

Well, it's more Microsoft Paint "graphics" ?

• 3 weeks later...

I rarely comment on threads like these (or at all, lol), but this has got to be one of the most over hyped games I have ever played.  This game is utter crap, and it has nothing to do with the graphics or the music (those are actually both decent).  Poor dialogue that constantly keeps interrupting you and aggravating "battle" mechanics are enough to rate this game at best a 4 out of 10.  To each there own, and I'm not trying to knock anyone who liked this, but I just couldn't.  It was a slog all the way through.  Luckily you don't have to finish it to plat!

Edited by wolverine81
  • Like 3

Some things aren't made for everyone, because not every human being understands every kind of art form.

The "information" that drone music carries, for example, can be absorbed by very few people. Not everyone cries listening to Tim Hecker as I cry, and that's the idea of art, sharing the heart's deep passions, with your peers.

Yes, games are an art form, the purest form of expression we have today is games and cinema, it unites the temporal/sentimental construction that only music can transmit with the dream of poetry.

I'm not being pedantic and boring, my point is, it's okay if you don't like something that a lot of people like, or can't see why it's revered, because it just doesn't appeal to you.

I've not tried this game but I've often heard of this and Lisa the Painful being compared to eachother.

Ive played through Lisa and 100% the entire game and my opinion is that it is quite possible the best RPG experience available so I'm going into Undertale with very high expectations.

• 5 months later...

I just finished it. Personally, I don't think it's the masterpiece that it's hyped up to be, but I do think it was a good game. I'd play a sequel to this.

It's legitimately funny, the gameplay is unique, there is a bit of challenge IMO, and the story was interesting.

Edited by Yuber6969
More detail

• 3 months later...
15 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

When I finally write a review for this game, I'm going to be rather blunt. Way, way overrated. Not a bad game, but there's definitely better ones in the indie market. All I'm going to say.

That's gonna be a short review then? ?

• Like 3

Something that I think people on this thread are missing about Undertale is that it is very much a commentary on RPGs themselves. Imma put my reasoning in the spoiler tag

Spoiler

In RPGs of the time, and in all honesty currently, there was actually very little in terms of role playing, enemies were little more than beings that would kill you if you didn't kill them. In turn the player's role is often to complete quest, killing enemies in what ever way you like. Even in RPGs I like this is the case, Commander Shepard rarely is able to disperse a fight, there's no way to sneak around Shrina guards to spare them, and monsters in Scarrlett Nexus are little more than mindless animals that will kill you on sight.

It's rare that an RPG allows a role like that of the pacifist, and when it does, it doesn't seem to do much, Deus Ex's world is determined to avoid change based on your murder sprees. And will often lie about you being a good person, such as Vampyr congratulating you for not eating the green grocer, inbetween punching the vampire hunters to death.

Undertale in contrast give the role of sparing enemies in a way more meaningful than sneaking around them, the ghost is crying so you need to console it, stuff like that. The world in turn is reactive to going on the murder route, merchants won't be there to sell you things, the city lights no longer move since no one is there and people you meet will be afraid of you. This judgement that the story provides is reflected in the gameplay, XP which can only be gained from killing, in this sense their name in this game of "Execution points" is very warranted and in turn could apply to many RPGs.

This blend of judgements in story and game gives a lot of ludonarrative synchronicity (look at me! I know smart people words) that is able to match how a character feels to the player, but since Frisk has no perceived emotion, the players interpretation can easily be overlayed.

It's also worth noting the game gives many other messages in an attempt to avoid aging badly, it's a story that encourages a healthy level of obsession, but will actively critisize you for you're 10th playthrough, anti completionist, where getting the bad end permanently corrupts any future playthroughs, the final boss of the bad end even calls out the fact that you're only doing this out of curiosity, since the killing playthrough is actively not fun and you're doing this just to see what will happen.      

I wonder if Spec ops the Line came out today whether its critical war shooter message would have been lost and the game would be taken at face value.

Anyway I've typed for ages, "If I had more time I'd have written a shorter post" - Blaise Pascal (probably)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

You don't know how much hard to make a video game even if it was a pixelated game, if you read about Toby Fox he made almost everything in Undertale it's arduous work and brilliant ideas he deserved all that success.

Imagine his ideas with the best graphic the game will be over 40GB.

Edited by Naomie_Len

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Loved it, it’s memey, the music is great, it can be a great challenge if done right, multiple different play styles depending on who you are as a person, overall amazing game

also the music is phenomenal

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This is a tough one for me to rank. I think the actual battle system is pretty unique and deserves the praise it gets, but it got a bit stale toward the end for me. A lot of the jokes fell flat for me, but there were definitely a few that had me chuckling. I think I may have gone into the game with higher expectations than I should have based on all of the praise. I could see this as being one of those pleasant surprise games you play, but I was really expecting more from the story based on what I had heard from friends.

I will say the weakest part of this game was the trophy list. Why not ask players to find some of the funnier easter eggs, or complete a full pacifist, genocide, or neutral run, or even just you know beat the game in general? I beat it then went back to do the dogshrine since I ended up getting locked out of it on my initial go-through.

Overall, I can't really put this higher than a 6/10

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2023 at 0:39 AM, sepheroithisgod said:

I will say the weakest part of this game was the trophy list. Why not ask players to find some of the funnier easter eggs, or complete a full pacifist, genocide, or neutral run, or even just you know beat the game in general? I beat it then went back to do the dogshrine since I ended up getting locked out of it on my initial go-through.

I'll answer it for you: The PC version has no achievements. This is due to the fact that Toby Fox, the creator, doesn't like achievements. So he put together a meme trophy list because Sony forces every game to have one. The End.

To answer OP: The characters are charming and funny, the OST is amazing and in my case, it reminded me of Earthbound/Mother, which is another amazing series.