Mass Effect Legendary Edition

To the fellow N7 Commander's, rumours have been pointing out strongly to March 2021 as being the release of the upcoming Remaster of the Mass Effect Trilogy aka - Mass Effect Legendary Edition

My question is, will you play the game as a PS5 owner via backwards compatibility Day 1 on the PS5 by purchasing the Last Gen versions available on release or wait for collectors editions or a PS5 Version which may never come? The developers have not delved into more details of a dedicated version for the PS5 but what are your thoughts on this? 

For me as a Mass Effect fan, I don't even care for any other game this year to be honest, ME Legendary Edition will be my most played game without a doubt! Also to the people who may want to comment play it on PC, i've done that and am now looking to play it and get the platinum ( hopefully ) on the PS5

I'm not trusting any release date rumours this year considering the state of the world right now and how it's been impacting release dates already. As long as the trilogy is available on PS4, I don't really care how many editions there are and where they release on :) I won't be getting a PS5 until Resident Evil 8 releases and even then, there is no guarantee a PS5 will be available so I would hope we would be looking at a simultaneous PS4 & PS5 release. These games aren't performance beasts by PS4/PS5 standards, ME is literally 13 years old and ME 3 is 8, so the difference in game experience between each console is going to be minimal - because of that, I don't think there will be any separate versions, just one version that releases on both console generations. I'd assume there would be separate trophy lists though.

• Like 4

Considering they are working on a 'new' Mass Effect title and this was likely solely (hopefully well) done to cash cow some money for Bioware after all the fiascos and dumpster fires they had...

I doubt a next-gen version in on the horizon or in the works but I will get it on the PS5 regardless.

Don't get me wrong I am so happy to finally have the complete trilogy with all story DLC in one place on the Playstation and it was a long time coming but considering the recent past I hope they didn't scrape it together with minimum effort just because it was the last thing the studio had they knew 100% it would sell.

We and Bioware need a good ME game, the remaster is a short-term adrenaline boost - I doubt the IP can survive another development chaos like Andromeda or ME universe version of whatever the hell Anthem was but.. This is EA we are talking about and I wouldn't put it past the bastards to find a way to shove some live-service-grindfest bullsh*t into ME. That or another ME3 type ending.

• Like 3

One was the only game that warranted multiple playthroughs and Insanity difficulty to me.

After the first game the choices were pretty empty and combat gentrified to basic Gears level. EA refined the sci-fi out of ME2/3 in order to make their version of Gears. The powers that made builds interesting were turned to lame skills or ammo swaps. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Johnnybaz85 said:

My question is, will you play the game as a PS5 owner via backwards compatibility Day 1 on the PS5 by purchasing the Last Gen versions available on release or wait for collectors editions or a PS5 Version which may never come? The developers have not delved into more details of a dedicated version for the PS5 but what are your thoughts on this? 

There won't be a PS5 version. It's EA. Look at Need For Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered as an example of how they treat remasters.

In other words, don't have high expectations with this remaster. I'd love to be wrong though. 

Also, to answer your question, yes, I'll play as a PS5 owner via BC day one.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ARIXANDRE said:

This is, honestly, the ONLY game I'm hyped for in 2021.

After the last few years with CP2077 as a cherry on top - better there be no hype of any kind

There is just so much that can go wrong given Bioware's record and EA being the overbearing presence. It could be poorly remastered, poorly optimised, unstable, rushed, unpolished, or broken in a myriad of ways. Hell I wouldn't put it past EA to figure out some MTX model to shove into the SP experience. 

Just think of Mafia as another recent example. Fingers crossed it ends up a solid remaster to rekindle what made ME so much fun before ME3 ending / Andromeda and help make way for worthy future installments but... no hype

• Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 6:13 PM, Valkirye22 said:

After the last few years with CP2077 as a cherry on top - better there be no hype of any kind

There is just so much that can go wrong given Bioware's record and EA being the overbearing presence. It could be poorly remastered, poorly optimised, unstable, rushed, unpolished, or broken in a myriad of ways. Hell I wouldn't put it past EA to figure out some MTX model to shove into the SP experience. 

Just think of Mafia as another recent example. Fingers crossed it ends up a solid remaster to rekindle what made ME so much fun before ME3 ending / Andromeda and help make way for worthy future installments but... no hype

My mind knows all that, but... I won't lie, my heart skipped a beat seeing Liara pick up the N7 emblem after 8 long years. As far as I'm concerned, the out they were offered 8 years ago is still valid. Confirm the indoctrination theory and all is forgiven, you're getting a clean slate and a fair shake.

On 1/17/2021 at 4:47 PM, TJ_Solo said:

One was the only game that warranted multiple playthroughs and Insanity difficulty to me.

After the first game the choices were pretty empty and combat gentrified to basic Gears level. EA refined the sci-fi out of ME2/3 in order to make their version of Gears. The powers that made builds interesting were turned to lame skills or ammo swaps. 

Exact opposite for me, the gameplay is so bad in mass effect 1 it's not fun to do more than one playthrough

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Exact opposite for me, the gameplay is so bad in mass effect 1 it's not fun to do more than one playthrough

You're not the first person I seen say that the first ones gameplay is bad. Never played it myself. I was one of the ones who played 2 and used the intro to catch up on the events of the first game. I hope in the remasters they refine the gameplay of the first because I would like to play it. 

27 minutes ago, snakebit10 said:

You're not the first person I seen say that the first ones gameplay is bad. Never played it myself. I was one of the ones who played 2 and used the intro to catch up on the events of the first game. I hope in the remasters they refine the gameplay of the first because I would like to play it. 

It's not all of it, with some optimization they can improve performance, cut load times and perhaps improve mechanics/movement a bit.

Overall it's a little bit janky but if you consider it for what it is and when it came out you can give it a pass. (For comparison fluidity and responsiveness of controls in say Uncharted 1 vs Uncharted 4)

The most tiring part is the Mako planet exploration - if you are doing all the side stuff for that perfect save to carry through the trilogy. Imagine ME2 planet scanning but turned up to 11.

My advice is pick your Shep background and choices from ME1 wisely and commit to 100% it once. And than keep that save safe since you'll probably never want to go back.

On PC a nice workaround was the availability of various saves online, i.e. once I found it I never went back to ME1. You'll be able to 100% it once but more than that is doubtful - and trophy-wise IF they put an insanity trophy in ME1... eeeeh... pass. (I have the plats for ME2, ME3 and ME:A)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Valkirye22 said:

It's not all of it, with some optimization they can improve performance, cut load times and perhaps improve mechanics/movement a bit.

Overall it's a little bit janky but if you consider it for what it is and when it came out you can give it a pass. (For comparison fluidity and responsiveness of controls in say Uncharted 1 vs Uncharted 4)

The most tiring part is the Mako planet exploration - if you are doing all the side stuff for that perfect save to carry through the trilogy. Imagine ME2 planet scanning but turned up to 11.

My advice is pick your Shep background and choices from ME1 wisely and commit to 100% it once. And than keep that save safe since you'll probably never want to go back.

On PC a nice workaround was the availability of various saves online, i.e. once I found it I never went back to ME1. You'll be able to 100% it once but more than that is doubtful - and trophy-wise IF they put an insanity trophy in ME1... eeeeh... pass. (I have the plats for ME2, ME3 and ME:A)

Ok. I assume the trophy list will remain the same except for the online trophies. I still consider ME 2 one of my favorite games and plats I got during PS3. I never did the insanity run on ME3 even though I heard it was easier than 2. I only played a little of Andromeda when it first came out. I really should go back to it. 

I am looking forward to this release. When EA announced they were going to do some remasters the Mass Effect trilogy was at the top of my list along with Dead Space for getting remasters.

• Like 1

Thank you for the responses everyone and although i have paced my expectations especially after Andromeda & the abysmal Anthem, I cannot wait to dive back in the amazing world. 

Whether in the end i decide to pursue the platinum or not, and as mentioned above already, the legendary edition hopefully should keep us occupied till the new Mass Effect Game.

I hope the PS5 edition makes use of the SSD super speed when it comes to loading ( especially ME 1 ) & 60 Fps as well.

• Like 2

On 1/20/2021 at 10:14 AM, NamoPh said:

My mind knows all that, but... I won't lie, my heart skipped a beat seeing Liara pick up the N7 emblem after 8 long years. As far as I'm concerned, the out they were offered 8 years ago is still valid. Confirm the indoctrination theory and all is forgiven, you're getting a clean slate and a fair shake.

Honestly I was part of the whole ME3 ending controversy back then, and in retrospect, a lot of the outrage was very manufactured. The synthesis ending was complete dogshit, granted, and the star child was... well, weird, but the reapers relied on mystery so heavily that honestly, any full revelation of them would have fallen short. Unless they went for something like Dead Space did (mind you, I never actually played Dead Space 3) with the cosmic horror-esque brother moons, or whatever, but as far as I can tell, those were pretty badly received as well.

Like, I don't see where the indoctrination theory would have gotten us. We already had an impossibly tight scenario - a godlike species that had successfully culled all sentient life in the galaxy for god knows how long - that required a deus ex machine to solve. By the end of Mass Effect 3, if Shepherd ends up indoctrinated, and by extension, the defense against the reapers is sabotaged or falls short... what then? There's really no way to preserve Mass Effect as a series without either a reboot or a deus ex machina so ridiculous it makes the star child look like a monument of storytelling achievement. The only way I could see the indoctrination theory working out is if Mass Effect 4 ended up being a post apocalyptic space survival game, which... well, wouldn't be much of a Mass Effect game.

13 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Honestly I was part of the whole ME3 ending controversy back then, and in retrospect, a lot of the outrage was very manufactured. The synthesis ending was complete dogshit, granted, and the star child was... well, weird, but the reapers relied on mystery so heavily that honestly, any full revelation of them would have fallen short. Unless they went for something like Dead Space did (mind you, I never actually played Dead Space 3) with the cosmic horror-esque brother moons, or whatever, but as far as I can tell, those were pretty badly received as well.

Like, I don't see where the indoctrination theory would have gotten us. We already had an impossibly tight scenario - a godlike species that had successfully culled all sentient life in the galaxy for god knows how long - that required a deus ex machine to solve. By the end of Mass Effect 3, if Shepherd ends up indoctrinated, and by extension, the defense against the reapers is sabotaged or falls short... what then? There's really no way to preserve Mass Effect as a series without either a reboot or a deus ex machina so ridiculous it makes the star child look like a monument of storytelling achievement. The only way I could see the indoctrination theory working out is if Mass Effect 4 ended up being a post apocalyptic space survival game, which... well, wouldn't be much of a Mass Effect game.

Would have been nice if there was an actual boss fight against harbinger, instead of him barely appearing in 3 at all

• Like 1

On 1/24/2021 at 1:49 AM, Darling Baphomet said:

My honest reaction to finishing my first run of ME3 going for 100% completion and without story spoilers was just mild confusion quickly turning into disappointment. Hell, I called my friend who was finishing the game at the same time as a huge fan since ME1 and we were both just utterly disappointed with game for the last 15min. 

All three endings before and after the extended cut were equally poorly executed imho, the entire Star Child thing is something that barely scratches the surface of sense and ONLY IF you paid and played Leviathan DLC. Sythesis makes no sense and there was no overarching organics-synthetics tone of that sort in any of the games (geth-quarians never touch on it and in the end depending on your choices even achieve peace and collaboration), control also seems pulled out of nowhere... 'controlling the reapers' whaat...

Destruction makes sense and out of the three is for me the default choice but even it was poorly made and painted red in what shallow remnants of paragon/renegade system there was.

For me I saw potential in the game ending with triumphant but very costly victory of a united galaxy or a heroic defiant last stand until complete defeat (perhaps with continuation hinted with Liara's time capsules). All of that makes sense to be defined with the Galaxy at War and your resources and the 'win' ending could vary in Shepard/Crew surviving or not.

Regardless of future games, even if they would have to take the trilogy into the account and pick a cannon ending - it would be far preferable to what was given and what happened later.

The reactions to it were, as usual on the internet, exaggerated and just ended up being a circlejerk of trolling, ridicule and the ever classy death threats. But for most of the people I know that were fans and enjoyed the games without the need to have N7 tattooed on their forehead it was just feeling disappointed. I also don't think Andromeda was THAT bad. It suffered from a lot of mismanagement like ME3 but it had some good new direction and interesting characters (technical stuff aside) if the next ME turns out to be an Andromeda sequel but DONE RIGHT I would be ok with it.

• Like 1

On 24/01/2021 at 4:49 AM, Darling Baphomet said:

Personally, I feel like Dead Space is one of the few times where a big revelation on that scale actually made sense, I think there were definitely problems with 3 but that element of the lore was not one. There's actually quite bit of Brethren Moon foreshadowing in Dead Space 2 (Church Imagery https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/deadspace/images/2/28/Moons_foreshadowed%3F.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20151125083848, Convergence and the face behind the marker in the final boss fight). Know this is a bit off topic, but it's clear that from 2 at least they already had answers to some of the big questions. Mind you, it's not perfect as the behaviour of the Red Marker in the first Dead Space is a little bit incongruent with these later revelations. However, these discrepancies could have probably been explained away by the Sovereign Colonies testing their experimental man-made marker.

Edited by bikeman223
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Valkirye22 said:

My honest reaction to finishing my first run of ME3 going for 100% completion and without story spoilers was just mild confusion quickly turning into disappointment. Hell, I called my friend who was finishing the game at the same time as a huge fan since ME1 and we were both just utterly disappointed with game for the last 15min. 

I definitely feel this, when I played it I had the same reaction, and I ended up getting into an ME ending controversy community, although as I progressed I realized that I didn't really hate the ending like most people did, and I wasn't really that big a fan of the indoctrination theory stuff either.

Gonna put some more in detail stuff here since I'm sure some people in the thread haven't played it yet:

Spoiler

The synthesis ending? That I absolutely despise, like, what the hell, why? It makes no sense. How the fuck are you going to send out a... god wave that fundamentally changes the nature of all life in the galaxy? Why. I feel like Mass Effect 3 was trying too hard to be space magic.

But some of the stuff definitely was overblown - like the criticism of the reaper's motivations; it's a bit simplistic, sure, and they probably could have left a more esoteric, mysterious ending for them with better effect, but I don't think it's an unreasonable idea. If they had more development of the "renegade AI that destroyed its creators and went functionally insane in pursuing its directive to protect life", I think it would have been well received. The problem is that throughout the game, they're billed as hyper-intelligent gods with unknowable motivations, not a mindless, robotic plague warped to insanity. That could have been really cool. It needed more time to be shown in game, not be something just randomly dropped on us. But I don't believe it was fundamentally flawed.

But destroy the reapers was cool. Honestly, I feel like they should have just made the citadel be a super weapon of some sort without some omniscient entity explaining things; a little Deus ex Machina to keep the battle going, but it really should have come down to your choices and whether you promoted unity, or caused division. A desperate last stand of sorts. Getting a super high battle score or whatever and having the battle go easy was kinda bullshit - the battle being lost should have been an option if you fucked things up enough.

But honestly I loved ME3 overall, that one scene with Tali made kid me tear up, and I will never forget it. It was an imperfect game, but it was a game I liked nonetheless. And I agree with you on Andromeda - I honestly enjoyed it, because I'm that desperate for new Mass Effect content. It felt like a low budget Mass Effect, but still like Mass Effect. It was definitely an imperfect product, but I do hope we see a continuation of that story - we probably won't, though.

Edited by Darling Baphomet
  • Like 1

sf8tLWt.jpg

Relive the legend of Commander Shepard in the highly acclaimed Mass Effect trilogy with the Mass Effect™ Legendary Edition. Includes single-player base content and over 40 DLC from Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, and Mass Effect 3 games, including promo weapons, armors, and packs – remastered and optimized for 4K Ultra HD.

The updated trilogy launches May 14 on PlayStation®4 and Xbox One with forward compatibility and targeted enhancements on Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation®5, as well as on PC via Origin and Steam.

• Like 3