Ellie and Joel cast in Last of Us TV series - including first look

2 minutes ago, Abby_TheLastofUs said:

That's just being a gamer. ?

Hardly our fault - the sun has been attacking gamers without cause for decades. 

When it isn't glaring on our TV's, or being in league with our families trying to force us to 'go out and enjoy life', it's been getting angry and attacking our Marios, pulling our spacecrafts to their doom in Outer Wilds, or giving us Sunstroke in Earthbound....

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

The direction, cinematography and the score are going to be what makes or breaks this show I think.

I don't think I've ever seen a HBO show that wasn't excellent in these categories and Gustavo Santaolalla has already been signed up for the music. Add on the castings announced and I'm very optimistic for this ?

• Like 1

Pedro Pascal is a fantastic choice for Joel, I'm so hyped for it, I was just about to write I've never seen Bella Ramsey in anything but upon checking her IMDB it turns out I've seen her in His Dark Materials season 2 where I wasn't the biggest fan of her character (to be fair she was barely in it and it wasn't great writing for a character) so I couldn't make judgement on her properly but she wouldn't have been cast if she wasn't the right choice. I'm looking forward to this program massively but I don't think we'll see it until next year sadly.

• Like 1

Nice to see the Red Viper of Dorne may well finally get the chance to smash some faces of his own... but the (other) Traitor of Bear Island? 

I don't know... for all that Ms. Ramsey came across as an inordinately charismatically limited performer (even for a show that had an era-defining measuring stick of this particular idiom in Emilia Clarke!) with a distinct and unintentionally creepy stare on 'tother show, ain't nothing what indicates her being able to carry off swearing like a sailor, humming random tunes like a goof, and delivering dad jokes like it's going out of style. I'll give her a chance, but man... did they forget Maisie Williams exists or something?

Just now, Stan Lee said:

The overwhelming majority of reactions have been positive.

[citation needed]

Although you're probably right. Maybe we should do a poll here to show how many people liked the casting choise but didn't bother to post. Or the other way around.

I'm kinda 50/50 on this. They don't have to look the same, or act the same. The game is a game, the show is a show. But at the same time, I would want them to be as close as possible to the original characters, the version I already know I like.

1 hour ago, Alderriz said:

[citation needed]

Although you're probably right. Maybe we should do a poll here to show how many people liked the casting choise but didn't bother to post. Or the other way around.

It's basic edge-lord internet forum law - the only people who post in threads like this one are people who have a contrary opinion to the majority and know it. - In this case, a negative reaction - as well as, of course, some dumb-asses like me, who are willing to get down in the muck with those people and accept the electronic ire it elicits.

Folks who have the majority opinion - in this case a largely positive or neutral stance - tend to just not bother - so while the silent majority are of one opinion, the opposite shows more in forums.

• Like 1

Just now, DrBloodmoney said:

It's basic edge-lord internet forum law - the only people who post in threads like this one are people who have a contrary opinion to the majority and know it. - In this case, a negative reaction - as well as, of course, some dumb-asses like me, who are willing to get down in the muck with those people and accept the electronic ire it elicits.

Folks who have the majority opinion - in this case a largely positive or neutral stance - tend to just not bother - so while the silent majority are of one opinion, the opposite shows more in forums.

I know what you mean. In topics like this, you usually see the same contingent of opinionated people, it's like a repeating pattern. It's just, when I hear about the positive silent majority, I can't help but wonder how many people with the negative opinion didn't bother to post as well. I feel like people rarely count those.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Alderriz said:

I know what you mean. In topics like this, you usually see the same contingent of opinionated people, it's like a repeating pattern. It's just, when I hear about the positive silent majority, I can't help but wonder how many people with the negative opinion didn't bother to post as well. I feel like people rarely count those.

I often wonder why, when it comes to subjective tastes in entertainment, there is any need to count at all. Why should people who aren’t on the business side care what percent likes, were neutral, or didn’t like a thing? Should that influence how much an individual responds to something designed as entertainment?

Sure, the business should see how well an audience responds to determine if further money can be extracted from said audience, but polls or tracking a general group of people serve no genuine value for determining how anyone might enjoy or not enjoy something for any particular individual. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I often wonder why, when it comes to subjective tastes in entertainment, there is any need to count at all. Why should people who aren’t on the business side care what percent likes, were neutral, or didn’t like a thing? Should that influence how much an individual responds to something designed as entertainment?

Sure, the business should see how well an audience responds to determine if further money can be extracted from said audience, but polls or tracking a general group of people serve no genuine value for determining how anyone might enjoy or not enjoy something for any particular individual. 

Not wrong - in fact, even the business side people caring can be an issue.

There are innumerable tales of films (in particular) getting 'focus-grouped' to death and ending up a bland, milquetoast mishmash, or unwatchable monstrosity through trying to please everyone. Maybe we only hear about it when it goes wrong, but I struggle to think of any instance where focus-grouping / polling has famously improved the final product...

27 minutes ago, Juzota said:

I liked Pascal on Narcos and Ramsey on Game of Thrones, so I'm happy for them that they got the roles. Knowing HBO, they usually do know what they are doing. So I'm pretty optimistic for this show.

HBO's whole mantra is fairly well known to be "we hire the right people, then take a step back and let them do it without much interference" - so for better or worse, I think HBO is the best chance the show has of being exactly what the creators want.

Hopefully, it'll be for the better :) 

Edited by DrBloodmoney

9 hours ago, NOWITSREYNTIME17 said:

I sure as hell hope this is a joke, she looks nothing like Ellie would

Would you rather have an actress who doesn't fully resemble the character but who can deliver a great performance, or someone who does resemble the character but can't act to save her life?

Just now, DaivRules said:

Should that influence how much an individual responds to something designed as entertainment?

No.

polls or tracking a general group of people serve no genuine value for determining how anyone might enjoy or not enjoy something for any particular individual. 

Sure.

I often wonder why, when it comes to subjective tastes in entertainment, there is any need to count at all.

I was just interested to see the numbers to know how much the "Silent majority" thing applies on PSNP in this case. It's not like I'm rooting for a side and want to see who "wins" if you're talking about that.

Edited by Alderriz

Here some ideas of casts for remaining roles. sarcastic!

Fungus: Kit Harington

Sarah: Maisie Williams or Peter Dinklage

Tommy: Kristofer Hivju

First dying person: Sean Bean

Mastermind of the Pittsburgh ambush: Aidan Gillen

Abby: The Mountain!

Edited by D-E-U-S-X
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, StewartBros said:

Would you rather have an actress who doesn't fully resemble the character but who can deliver a great performance, or someone who does resemble the character but can't act to save her life?

resemble the character and can act my guy

7 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

You don't cast an actor based on how much they resemble the subject, you cast based on whether they can act the part well.

Denzel doesn't look anything like Malcolm X.

Anthony Hopkins doesn't look like Richard Nixon.

DeNiro looks nothing like James Conway.

Woody Harrelson doesn't look like Larry Flint, Jim Carrey doesn't look like Andy Kaufmann, Gillian Anderson doesn't look like Margaret Thatcher (thank heavens), and Cate Blanchett sure as hell doesn't look like Bob Dylan!

I liked GoT, and and liked the girl fine in that - never seen that Star Wars thing, but recognise the guy from GoT - he was fine on that too, so we'll see. It's gonna all hang on tone with this one, just as the game did - it's not a particularly original story, but the tone was what gave it it's personality, so the direction, cinematography and the score are going to be what makes or breaks this show I think.

Frankly, if they can bring even a fraction of the quality of Chernobyl to this show, it will be well above the (admittedly low) watermark of previous video game adaptations.

nah bruh, she looks awful

Above all, I congratulate HBO for getting two talented actors for the main roles.

But I'm actually excited for this.

Pedro Pascal's Mando has enough similarities to Joel and he's great in that role. And Bella Ramsay has proven she has the acting chops to handle the fierce side of Ellie.

Edited by LastMinuteSavior

7 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

I thought she was great as the fiery tongued little Lyanna Mormont in GoT, but I’m not going to lie... I’m having a really hard time picturing her as Ellie. Hopefully she ends up doing a good job.

Edit:

Removed my comments on Mahershala Ali being looked at for Joel, as apparently the role has already been cast as pointed out in OP. 

Also, you know who would have been a great casting for Ellie?

Kaitlyn Dever!

Tell me you don’t see it.

I'll take Mahershala Ali every damn day for Henry though! (Hope Henry gets a bigger role in the show). And if Bill isn't the guy who played Bill (W Earl Brown) then I will be very salty.

Edited by kdogg_gamer_

38 minutes ago, craig_obviously said:

Pascal I can live with... would have preferred like Josh Brolin..

I like Josh Brolin a lot and I'm sure he would make a great grouchy, troubled and violent Joel.

But, I don't think he's neither empathic nor relatable enough to perform Joel's redemption arc or his growing relation with Ellie.

9 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Gillian Anderson doesn't look like Margaret Thatcher (thank heavens)

When did Gillian Anderson play Thatcher? 

Meryl Streep played her several years back in The Iron Lady... is that who you meant?  Or did Anderson also play her in a film/show that I don't know about?

Hmm.... to IMDB!

EDIT: Oh, right.... The Crown.  Never seen that show, and didn't even know that Anderson was in it... :P

Edited by StewartBros