Worth to purchase -2021-?

LordFrieza8920

10 minutes ago, Property_Damage said:

I would say that No, its not worth it, not anymore.  When i first got my vita some 8years ago, it was the greatest thing i thought.  Sony offered free monthly games for it with the IGC but thats sinced stopped, the store has been threatened to be rendered obsolete which is still an inevitable..but once you beat all the core platform games that are worth mentioning, which isnt alot, you start playing junk because thats all thats left and eventually if youre like me, the hand cramps wont be worth it anymore and you just lay it down with intentions of picking it back up one day to finish your backlog

I have to agree with this, although I really like my vita, there's not much value in one anymore due to lack of sales and free games but if you are able to afford the games then there's plenty to play. Great device for visual novels on the go if you are in to them.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

This is a poor attitude to take.

The Vita is an old system now. We all know this. I still think there are exclusives worth having. Uncharted: Golden Abyss and Killzone Mercenary are two examples, both I had a lot of fun with. The main problem is because it's an old system, Sony is slowly trying to kill it off, just like they are with the PS3. So you're basically taking a risk with buying one, and to top it off a PS Vita isn't that easy to find nowadays. Eight years ago it was under a completely different situation, because it was a current gen system.

I have to say I enjoyed my PS Vita and there are still some games I want to play on it. I'm glad I took the opportunity to play Severed and Tearaway, both games that utilize the distinctive touchscreen features of the Vita very well. If I didn't buy my Vita five years ago I never would of experienced those games.

Everyone just looks at those Ratalaika games and other crap people have shoved on their profiles these past two - three years and think those are mostly the kinds of games that are available for the handheld. If more people expanded their horizons they would see there are games actually worth having. Not just shit that anybody can finish in 10 - 30 minutes time.

Amen. I suppose this clears some doubts I had earlier. I might go for it nonetheless, not just for the trophies, but to experience games such as P4 in which I doubt I would enjoy the same experience on PC. I genuinely like this reply.

A game that I got on the Vita a while back that sparked my interest in owning one was Corpse Party: Blood Drive.

However, I managed to snag the Everafter Edition for $15 brand new from a GameStop forever ago. Now the same edition goes for like $100 on Amazon.

I think you can still get Virtue's Last Reward for about $20 on Amazon, and that's a good game if you're interested in physical only. But yeah, it's pretty much as everyone said, the best games are really high in price physical-wise ($35-150) since they didn't sell too many copies thus making the supply lowish. So you'll be forced to pay more than they originally sold for, or you'll be forced to pay the digital prices (which rarely go down).

It's a good little system, but sadly because it was overlooked it's expensive to collect for now.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

This is a poor attitude to take.

The Vita is an old system now. We all know this. I still think there are exclusives worth having. Uncharted: Golden Abyss and Killzone Mercenary are two examples, both I had a lot of fun with. The main problem is because it's an old system, Sony is slowly trying to kill it off, just like they are with the PS3. So you're basically taking a risk with buying one, and to top it off a PS Vita isn't that easy to find nowadays. Eight years ago it was under a completely different situation, because it was a current gen system.

I have to say I enjoyed my PS Vita and there are still some games I want to play on it. I'm glad I took the opportunity to play Severed and Tearaway, both games that utilize the distinctive touchscreen features of the Vita very well. If I didn't buy my Vita five years ago I never would of experienced those games.

Everyone just looks at those Ratalaika games and other crap people have shoved on their profiles these past two - three years and think those are mostly the kinds of games that are available for the handheld. If more people expanded their horizons they would see there are games actually worth having. Not just shit that anybody can finish in 10 - 30 minutes time.

Out of the hundreds of games on the vita

...you list 4

is 4 games worth justifying the purchase of a obsolete handheld/console

those 4 games were listed in my unmentioned must haves but nonetheless, the system is outdated, see’s no new games, has apps and features that sony killed off or doesnt support anymore, near, email, facebook,messagingetc etc

so no, its not a poor attitude to have in informing people that its not really worth owning anymore

was is cool for its time? Absolutely

but it cant/couldnt keep up with the mobile gaming market of today

i love how im basically the only one giving factual information on why this might not be a good purchase today and i get this is a poor attitude to take, no wonder why people think youre a robot sometimes lol

but furthermore

if you guys want to have an open discussion on a decade old system, be prepared to discuss all points at hand, that be the good AND the bad, the pros AND the cons, and seeing how everyone was just like, yeah buy it buy it!  Ill be that definitive voice that will say ok, its cool, but heres what you should really know about it before jumping in

and were talking about “worth” here

when something has all its features stripped away from it and it being on life support, i dont see much value left in that

Edited by Property_Damage

I adore PS Vita - but I sold mine about two years ago and never looked back. For the six or so years I owned it (2013-2019, or something like that), the first three years were amazing. The last three were the definition of diminishing returns. I think a big part of the appeal of Vita was what it was like to own one when it was still in production. The triple-A exclusives died out extremely quickly, but they were still a great technical showcase at the time (still are IMO). Then there was the indie scene, which was never a big thing on PlayStation before Vita. For me, a huge part of the Vita experience was about staying up-to-date with those games, and supporting them when they came out. That actually added to the overall appeal of the system.

I'm not trying to say you're "too late" to join the Vita club, or that you can't possibly enjoy the console if you didn't own one in its heyday. It's still a fascinating system with a solid library of games (if you can overlook the fact that the vast majority of them have also been released or remastered on PS3/PS4). But I do think it's difficult to justify buying a Vita in 2021. It's officially a dead system. No more games will be released for it, and support for most apps died several years ago. There's nothing to stop Sony from shutting the store down at some point in the future either, essentially leaving you with a (very attractive) brick. In short, the hype is over.

But this is me speaking from the perspective of someone who already exhausted pretty much every game and app I was willing to use on it. For you, it'll be an entirely new system, so if you're already leaning towards buying one, I guess I say go for it. You'll probably appreciate the portability, especially if you're going to college, and at the same time, it's not likely to be a massive time sink (a plus for students, if you really think about it).

Switch > vita when on the move and at home any day and I don't think it makes sense to buy multiple systems with the same use. Therefore it's hard to give it my recommendation. Only when you really want to trophy hunt or really want to play a certain exclusive (which honestly is not much, but there are some good ones indeed) it can be justified.

But otherwise I would buy a switch or stick with the playstation mainline. 

Do note that I love my vita and still play on it, need to finish a lot of games on it. 

Regarding the trophy hunting aspect, there is nothing really wrong with the system and games itself. Some games will feel more unnatural then others. If you are scared for that then you can always go for the PSTV. 

I think the OP already has their answers, but I’m posting to show support for Vita. It’s an incredible machine that deserved a much better life than it got. The emergence of easy access but incredibly inferior by comparison mobile phone games killed any chance Vita had. I only wish I had bought more consoles back when you could get them new for £180, because they can have battery and analogue stick issues. Without any hardware support from Sony, I fear the catalogue of 200 games I purchased for Vita could be wasted if either of my Vitas die.

• Like 2

I don't think it's worth it to buy one in 2021, unfortunately 

outside of the few exclusives, you can play the majority of vita library on modern platforms, and most likely better versions 

as for trophy hunting, many vita games had shitty and grindy lists, which didn't age well because of servers closures, DLCs delisted, etc.. 

• Like 1

I already said it in a similar thread - no.

Despite the awesome games it is way harder to get them for a reasonable price. The memory cards are way too expensive and there are no sales anymore. So to even play great games like Virtues Last Reward, Steins Gate, Tearaway, Persona 4 Golden, Ys-Memories of Celceta, Tales of Hearts R etc. will cost you a lot of money in 2021. In 2015 I would've said, yes definitely! But right now? No way.

Edited by Gommes_
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Property_Damage said:

...you list 4

4 games is absolutely worth buying a console, assuming they are in the OP's preferred genres.

Say he pays $150 for the Vita, and another $50 for two digital games (he still hasn't clarified if he's anti-digital). That's $200. That's 4 outings with friends tops. All gamers have at least one game they've played that they would say is worth 4 outings with friends.

EDIT: Just realized I didn't include the price of a memory card, so the numbers will be different. Point still stands though.

Edited by yuber1234
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, yuber1234 said:

4 games is absolutely worth buying a console, assuming they are in the OP's preferred genres.

Say he pays $150 for the Vita, and another $50 for two digital games (he still hasn't clarified if he's anti-digital). That's $200. That's 4 outings with friends tops. All gamers have at least one game they've played that they would say is worth 4 outings with friends.

EDIT: Just realized I didn't include the price of a memory card, so the numbers will be different. Point still stands though.

Thats all fine and dandy

if OP buys one or if he doesnt, no biggie

its fun, im not against it

But with the big picture in mind and the lack of support/lack of updates/lack of new games and the lack of everything it suffers from these days i dont see much face value in the system itself anymore for the points in my previous responses/edits

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Property_Damage said:

...you list 4

those 4 games were listed in my unmentioned must haves but nonetheless, the system is outdated, see’s no new games, has apps and features that sony killed off or doesnt support anymore, near, email, facebook,messagingetc etc

so no, its not a poor attitude to have in informing people that its not really worth owning anymore

was is cool for its time? Absolutely

but it cant/couldnt keep up with the mobile gaming market of today

i love how im basically the only one giving factual information on why this might not be a good purchase today and i get this is a poor attitude to take, no wonder why people think youre a robot sometimes lol

but furthermore

if you guys want to have an open discussion on a decade old system, be prepared to discuss all points at hand, that be the good AND the bad, the pros AND the cons, and seeing how everyone was just like, yeah buy it buy it!  Ill be that definitive voice that will say ok, its cool, but heres what you should really know about it before jumping in

and were talking about “worth” here

when something has all its features stripped away from it and it being on life support, i dont see much value left in that

It's currently in the same situation as the PS3. You're taking a risk with both. As far as games are concerned, PS Now is helping to allow people have access to those older games on the PS3 playable via streaming to PS4/PS5. For those Vita games, you're sort of screwed, because the touchscreen controls would not work well on a PS4 or PS5 since the controllers are completely different. 

I wouldn't buy the Nintendo Switch unless I want a handful of exclusives. Everything else I can just pick up on Steam for cheap, which is by far the best platform in terms of accessibility and getting an actual good deal.

The one positive Ratalaika did was give Vita owners something to play, until they finally cut that off and focused strictly on the PS4.

Sony killed off the Vita prematurely, but for anyone desperate to get their hands on the handheld, I can say I can recommend it to them. Agree to disagree, but your attitude tells me you are not worth reasoning with, so I'm out of this thread.

Edited by AJ_Radio

I had been on the fence a while like the OP for all the reasons mentioned here. The device seems like it was full of potential but I continued to question whether it had a library large enough of games that I'd play. AAA exclusives seemed to be few and far between. I ultimately pulled the trigger on ebay and hopefully it arrives soon. I have to admit that part of the reason was just the gimmick of a new device and a way to play some playstation titles in handheld mode. Plus it seems like it was an impressive piece of tech for its time. There are a few games that I'll check out right away and then I'll reassess from there. The prices seem to be holding pretty well so if I decide to sell it at some point, I should be alright.

The one piece I'll add that I haven't seen discussed yet is the ability to play PSP games on the Vita. I never had a PSP or Vita and there are some additional games on the PSP that had peaked my interest over time. While I know that a lot of these games can now be played on a variety of the PS consoles, I like the versatility of being able to play in handheld too.

• Like 1

If there are games you are interested in play, whether they be exclusives or you simply would prefer to play them on a handheld over a console, its worth it.. Even if its only 1 or 2 games. With the current Vita market once you are done with the games you want to play you can always resell the console for a comparable price to what you bought it for.

If you have the money to burn then yes.

Good luck on memory cards.. 

I bought my 64GB memory card for $70 brand new on eBay 2 years ago. I wanted to buy another one this year...

Yeah.. the prices have gone up so high.. I'm just deleting and installing games. 

Will buy another one when they announce they're permanently shutting down the vita servers.

Edited by The_Mighty_Ducks
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, The_Mighty_Ducks said:

If you have the money to burn then yes.

Good luck on memory cards.. 

I bought my 64GB memory card for $70 brand new on eBay 2 years ago. I wanted to buy another one this year...

Yeah.. the prices have gone up so high.. I'm just deleting and installing games. 

Will buy another one when they announce they're permanently shutting down the vita servers.

This is definitely a thing with the Vita that isn't really talked about much. Hard to find Memory Cards for it, and when you do, the prices are high. I currently have an 8 GB in my Vita, and I'm deleting and adding games on the fly.

One benefit of having a Vita too is it can play digital PSP games (from the Vita store) as well as some PSOne classics like Suikoden II. You can turn it into a pretty decent classic RPG portable system. That of course, is whether you like RPG's or not.

I know OP has made their decision already but I'd still like to share my thoughts. The Vita holds a special place in my heart for reigniting my passion for JRPGs. Persona 4 Golden is one of the greatest gaming experiences I've ever had and had it not been for the Vita, who knows if I would ever have played it. The Vita also got me into the Zero Escape series, which is another incredible Mystery Visual Novel I only came across because it was a free PS Plus game for the Vita at one point. With all that said however, would I recommend getting one in 2021? Probably not. Let me explain why:

Since I played Persona 4 Golden about three years ago the game has released on Steam. It's super bizarre that Atlus decided not to port the game to PS4 so if you insist on playing it on PlayStation and earning its trophies, there's your excuse :P In all seriousness though, spending 20 bucks on Steam on the PC you already own is a barrier of entry so low that the Vita can't possibly compete. Plus you get to play the game on a widescreen TV/Monitor and are not confined to a tiny handheld screen. And no, I'm not forgetting about PlayStation TV. But that is just one more thing you have to buy and set up in order to offset one of the disadvantages towards PC gaming. Plus, a vast array of the Vita's library is crossplay compatible with PS4 anyway (and are usually way cheaper on there as well). Sure, the Vita has portability going for it but in all honesty, how many people these days are actually buying a Vita to play it on the go? In the 4+ years I've been owning it I only ever took it with me a handful of times and even then it's always been a casual decision rather than something I was planning to do when I bought the thing. Smartphones have completely killed off dedicated mobile gaming devices and I doubt there's many people left in 2021 who are willing to carry a Vita with them on a regular basis.

The Vita is a great thing if there are games you enjoy and want to play and earn trophies for multiple times. It's a great thing for playing the old Persona games without spending a fortune. It's also a great thing if you're just a fan of PlayStation and want the experience. If you're getting it for that, by all means go for it. You're going to have a blast! ? Just keep in mind that some of the games you're looking for might be taken off the digital shelves already, so be sure to look those up beforehand. I for once had to buy the Danganronpa games at a huge markup before they got delisted, simply because I wanted to re-earn their trophies. We're still in a relatively safe era where the closure of the Vita store has recently been averted but it's something you definitely have to take into account because one (not all that distant) day it's absolutely going to happen at which point you're going to lose easy access to an overwhelming portion of the Vita's library - for good.

PS: When Sony announced they would cease production in March 2019 I bought myself one last Vita in Aqua Blue, had it shipped to me from Japan and kept it sealed for the 2+ years since. I was going to treat it as a sort of investment but due to its heavy reliance on a digital infrastructure I'm having doubts that it's actually going to amount to anything in the long term. So, if you haven't bought one already and fancy the idea of having your Vita experience on a factory-new (albeit blue ?) device I'm sure there'd be a way for us to come to an understanding. Feel free to PM me if you're interested ?

18 hours ago, Baka_Marimo said:

I know OP has made their decision already but I'd still like to share my thoughts. The Vita holds a special place in my heart for reigniting my passion for JRPGs. Persona 4 Golden is one of the greatest gaming experiences I've ever had and had it not been for the Vita, who knows if I would ever have played it. The Vita also got me into the Zero Escape series, which is another incredible Mystery Visual Novel I only came across because it was a free PS Plus game for the Vita at one point. With all that said however, would I recommend getting one in 2021? Probably not. Let me explain why:

Since I played Persona 4 Golden about three years ago the game has released on Steam. It's super bizarre that Atlus decided not to port the game to PS4 so if you insist on playing it on PlayStation and earning its trophies, there's your excuse :P In all seriousness though, spending 20 bucks on Steam on the PC you already own is a barrier of entry so low that the Vita can't possibly compete. Plus you get to play the game on a widescreen TV/Monitor and are not confined to a tiny handheld screen. And no, I'm not forgetting about PlayStation TV. But that is just one more thing you have to buy and set up in order to offset one of the disadvantages towards PC gaming. Plus, a vast array of the Vita's library is crossplay compatible with PS4 anyway (and are usually way cheaper on there as well). Sure, the Vita has portability going for it but in all honesty, how many people these days are actually buying a Vita to play it on the go? In the 4+ years I've been owning it I only ever took it with me a handful of times and even then it's always been a casual decision rather than something I was planning to do when I bought the thing. Smartphones have completely killed off dedicated mobile gaming devices and I doubt there's many people left in 2021 who are willing to carry a Vita with them on a regular basis.

The Vita is a great thing if there are games you enjoy and want to play and earn trophies for multiple times. It's a great thing for playing the old Persona games without spending a fortune. It's also a great thing if you're just a fan of PlayStation and want the experience. If you're getting it for that, by all means go for it. You're going to have a blast! ? Just keep in mind that some of the games you're looking for might be taken off the digital shelves already, so be sure to look those up beforehand. I for once had to buy the Danganronpa games at a huge markup before they got delisted, simply because I wanted to re-earn their trophies. We're still in a relatively safe era where the closure of the Vita store has recently been averted but it's something you definitely have to take into account because one (not all that distant) day it's absolutely going to happen at which point you're going to lose easy access to an overwhelming portion of the Vita's library - for good.

PS: When Sony announced they would cease production in March 2019 I bought myself one last Vita in Aqua Blue, had it shipped to me from Japan and kept it sealed for the 2+ years since. I was going to treat it as a sort of investment but due to its heavy reliance on a digital infrastructure I'm having doubts that it's actually going to amount to anything in the long term. So, if you haven't bought one already and fancy the idea of having your Vita experience on a factory-new (albeit blue ?) device I'm sure there'd be a way for us to come to an understanding. Feel free to PM me if you're interested ?

while I agree with you for the most part there are some things you should considder as well

first of steam for many people not an option at elast nto for people like me who want their stuff physical. I dont buy digital period rather not play a game then rent it which a download in essence is

also steam isnt portable either which is another reason  to go for the vita

also the final thing I disagree with is eprsona 4 being a good game I own a full vita set  and I wouldnt even put it top 100

a time limit in an rpg breaks the game for me  and I dont care about that socializing either thats also 1 of the reasons I dont care for fire emblem 3 houses.

also allowing yourself to get softlocked in a game sucks  (stuck on a boss with no wya to grind anymore)

On 7.6.2021 at 11:29 PM, visvoer18 said:

while I agree with you for the most part there are some things you should considder as well

first of steam for many people not an option at elast nto for people like me who want their stuff physical. I dont buy digital period rather not play a game then rent it which a download in essence is

also steam isnt portable either which is another reason  to go for the vita

also the final thing I disagree with is eprsona 4 being a good game I own a full vita set  and I wouldnt even put it top 100

a time limit in an rpg breaks the game for me  and I dont care about that socializing either thats also 1 of the reasons I dont care for fire emblem 3 houses.

also allowing yourself to get softlocked in a game sucks  (stuck on a boss with no wya to grind anymore)

Well, I brought up Steam for Persona specifically and for the vast majority of players buying that game physically is just not feasible. I did a quick search and the cheapest offer I could find was 91.19 Euros from Playasia. Add shipping to that and you're at almost 100 bucks. You might be willing to treat yourself to a physical copy but for the average Joe getting it for 20 bucks digitally is just a no-brainer. Plus again, the game will most likely run on the computer they already have so they don't have to buy another dedicated gaming device. I adressed portability in my previous post. While it is a good thing on the surface, for the vast majority of people this is just not relevant because hardly anybody these days is willing to carry an additional mobile device with them next to their smartphone. You are entitled to your opinion about Persona 4 but with all due respect, I doubt that you know the game all that well. You can't actually softlock yourself in Persona 4. If you find yourself unable to beat the boss on the final day before the deadline, all you have to do is leave the TV World upon which you will get a Game Over. Then the game sends you back one week which is easily enough to catch up on any grinding you previously missed.

Edited by Baka_Marimo