Castlevania Advance Collection - Available Now/$19.99 USD

• 1 month later...

The more time passes, the less certain I feel that this is real. I don't know much about game development, but I imagine announcing and porting GBA titles isn't a lengthy process. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong.

Edited by bikeman223

6 hours ago, bikeman223 said:

The more time passes, the less certain I feel that this is real. I don't know much about game development, but I imagine announcing and porting GBA titles isn't a lengthy process. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong.

For the late-stage development I imagine it’s a very long process. They’ll be testing three separate games in multiple languages for bugs and fixing. There also won’t be a robust off the shelf emulator they can use like the Wii U Virtual Console had so that means the emulation itself will be being tested on different platforms.

Personally, I always expected this to be announced around TGS (late Sep/early Oct) with a release either around Halloween or early next year.

2 hours ago, Tsundokuist said:

For the late-stage development I imagine it’s a very long process. They’ll be testing three separate games in multiple languages for bugs and fixing. There also won’t be a robust off the shelf emulator they can use like the Wii U Virtual Console had so that means the emulation itself will be being tested on different platforms.

Personally, I always expected this to be announced around TGS (late Sep/early Oct) with a release either around Halloween or early next year.

You're probably right. But wouldn't a lot of the heavy lifting concerning bugs and localisation be inherited from the original versions of the games? Don't know much about emulation but what you've said makes sense. Guess I'd grown used to leaks/listing being shortly followed by an official announcement.

Edited by bikeman223

28 minutes ago, bikeman223 said:

You're probably right. But wouldn't a lot of the heavy lifting concerning bugs and localisation be inherited from the original versions of the games? Don't know much about emulation but what you've said makes sense. Guess I'd grown used to leaks/listing being shortly followed by an official announcement.

They are held together by duct tape and dreams

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 08/08/2021 at 6:20 PM, Tsundokuist said:

https://www.playstationtrophies.org/news/news-35049-castlevania-advance-collection-pops-up-again-this-time-rated-for-ps4.html

Looks like your hunch is likely to be correct.

Not including Dawn of Sorrow feels like a huge misstep, since it's a direct sequel to Aria. I feel like they could've easily reworked the DS touchscreen stuff to make the game playable on current consoles - it wasn't that important to the overall experience. And the collection already has a non-GBA title (Dracula X), so that argument doesn't hold much water. I love the GBA games so I'll probably still grab this at some point, but I was really hoping for both Sorrow games in one package.

6 minutes ago, Mariner1534 said:

Not including Dawn of Sorrow feels like a huge misstep, since it's a direct sequel to Aria. I feel like they could've easily reworked the DS touchscreen stuff to make the game playable on current consoles - it wasn't that important to the overall experience. And the collection already has a non-GBA title (Dracula X), so that argument doesn't hold much water. I love the GBA games so I'll probably still grab this at some point, but I was really hoping for both Sorrow games in one package.

Easiest way to go about it would have been to make any touch screen sigil for the bosses just auto-complete

Castlevania Vampire's Kiss should've been included in the Anniversary Collection, but i'm fine with that. 4 games are better than 3 after all.

32 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Easiest way to go about it would have been to make any touch screen sigil for the bosses just auto-complete

Yeah there are patches for the DS ROM to completely remove or make sigils easier, they should do something like that xD or replace the mechanic, i.e. button inputs instead of drawing lines. We'll see.

Edited by Lance_87

4 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

Castlevania Vampire's Kiss should've been included in the Anniversary Collection, but i'm fine with that. 4 games are better than 3 after all.

Yeah there are patches for the DS ROM to completely remove or make sigils easier, they should do something like that xD or replace the mechanic, i.e. button inputs instead of drawing lines. We'll see.

Well, would be nice

Have a feeling they might be saving the DS titles for their own collection

Edited by SnowxSakura

On 6/18/2021 at 9:36 PM, Neptuos said:

No way, Aria of Sorrow is my favorite in the series, the animations are smooth, the sprites and effects look great, even the music and sounds are also pretty good for a GBA title. Hopefully it's not only GBA games and they also throw some DS in there like Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin

Loved Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin! Fingers crossed here!

9 minutes ago, DougKelley1982 said:

They are now available on the US store.

https://www.exophase.com/game/castlevania-advance-collection-psn/trophies/

and a platinum!

list looks good tbh, it's basically do (nearly) everything. shouldn't be too hard, but when I first played them ages ago on my gba I didn't care for the extra modes (julius / magician) so I don't know how hard they are

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DougKelley1982 said:

They are now available on the US store.

https://www.exophase.com/game/castlevania-advance-collection-psn/trophies/

and a platinum!

Glad to see they put a platinum. Haven't played any Castlevania since PS1 days. I really need to catch up on these games. Super Castlevania IV on Super Nintendo we played a lot and Symphony of the Night on PS1. I go back to the first one on NES. I remember playing that one also. So yeah, I'll be happy to play these.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alaquia said:

list looks good tbh, it's basically do (nearly) everything. shouldn't be too hard, but when I first played them ages ago on my gba I didn't care for the extra modes (julius / magician) so I don't know how hard they are

Same I played them all ages ago but never touched the extra modes. Looking forward to this platinum and playing these classics. 

47 minutes ago, snakebit10 said:

Glad to see they put a platinum. Haven't played any Castlevania since PS1 days. I really need to catch up on these games. Super Castlevania IV on Super Nintendo we played a lot and Symphony of the Night on PS1. I go back to the first one on NES. I remember playing that one also. So yeah, I'll be happy to play these.

Yep, I’m happy about the platinum and the trophy list in general. Those are two of my favorites along with Lord of Shadows. Hopefully a DS collection comes out sooner or later. 

• Like 2

On 6/18/2021 at 3:30 PM, SuperSmexy500 said:

Ah Konami, how you just re-release games nowadays and haven't made a new, good game in so long...

Konami makes most of their money off Pachinko now so their properties will probably see little use outside of licensing and remakes/collections.

I'm really happy with this collection though and now all I need are the DS games and I'll be satisfied. 

5 minutes ago, majob said:

Konami makes most of their money off Pachinko now so their properties will probably see little use outside of licensing and remakes/collections.

I'm really happy with this collection though and now all I need are the DS games and I'll be satisfied. 

Sadly.

I'm glad to see this collection is indeed real, though I probably won't be buying it unless it gets a physical, since I've already bought all these games twice already (back on the GBA, and again on the Wii U virtual console). Need some good excuse to myself to triple dip.

I do hope they port all the DS games, that would definitely be a munch more tempting buy for me, physical or not.