Fall/Winter 2021/2022 Backlog Challenge

1 hour ago, Heather342 said:

The Sonic comment makes me feel sad. I loved Sonic Mania so much, I wish they'd make more Sonic games like it

For some odd reason sega decided to not follow up with a mania sequel, despite the fact that it sold and review flawlessly almost.

But hey we get Sonic1-3&K in one collection next year so that’s something at least.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TalesofGaming said:

Update 4:

1. Tales of Arise - 0% -> 25%

2. Human Fall Flat - 29%

3. Spirit of the North: Enhanced Edition - 100% :platinum: 9/7/21

4. Dark Souls III - 0%

5. Shining Resonance Refrain - 0%

6. Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy of the Duelist - 9%

Loving Arise! Already my GOTY.

I'm curious about arise, because I love Symphonia, Grace's F, Xillia, etc. (not zestiria, horrid). It's your goty already! How does it stack up to the charm of the older ones in your opinion? 

Just now, Dav9834 said:

I'm curious about arise, because I love Symphonia, Grace's F, Xillia, etc. (not zestiria, horrid). It's your goty already! How does it stack up to the charm of the older ones in your opinion? 

Oh, the charm is definitely there. The character interactions remind me why I love the Tales series as well as the world-building. The combat is staying true to the Tales way and is very comfortable to play. I can't recommend this game enough. If you're a Tales fan, you won't be disappointed! I haven't finished it yet but it's definitely got the Tales story to it!

• Like 2

@YaManSmevz  So far, Oxenfree is a nice hike through the island.  Everything is pretty much straight forward and I'm actually enjoying it!  Still in the beginning of the game so who knows how everything will work out!  At least this game is logical. :lol:

I'm interested in the Hitman series, but know I'll need some time to throw at it.  Also, GTA SA should be a blast.  It is just tough for me to go back from the graphics of GTAV.

Oh man, a card game?  Good luck on that! Speaking about cards, I never got the achievement for Gwent in The Witcher 3, although I eventually got a little bit better at it.

Good luck!

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

This isn't really the place to post reviews (I'm guessing anyway) - but if you are curious about Beholder or Beholder 2 there's a link HERE to my review of it in my checklist thread.

Yeah man you definitely shouldn’t post your reviews here because it’s counterproductive to the event. I’m supposed to be clearing my backlog, not adding all these awesome new games like Beholder that I’ve never heard of before damnit!  

Just kidding… post your reviews! I love love love skimming through this thread and finding new games to look up. The more the merrier. ?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dieselmanchild said:

Yeah man you definitely shouldn’t post your reviews here because it’s counterproductive to the event. I’m supposed to be clearing my backlog, not adding all these awesome new games like Beholder that I’ve never heard of before damnit!  

Just kidding… post your reviews! I love love love skimming through this thread and finding new games to look up. The more the merrier.

It does look like pretty shameless self promotion :facepalm: - which I absolutely didn't mean it too. I just thought I'd drop a link for it just in case anyone was interested in reading more about it.

I definitely won't post the actual reviews in here.

I think I'm going to end up adding to my backlog at the same time now I've joined this event I'm seeing loads of games I really want to play. I'm fighting the urge so hard to get myself a copy of Tales of Arise (that's going to be the real toughy) - I guess I can justify it as, if I'm clearing it, why not add a bit here and there ?

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

Update 3 - 

And the list changes again! This time the release date my most anticipated game of 2021 - Dying Light 2 has been pushed again right into the last month of this challenge right at the end of Feb 2022. It's a shame because I was really looking forward to this. Having said that though, if they need more time to polish and refine it, they can technically take as long as they need if the finished product is that much better. I'm going to replace it with a true backlog title - The Dark Pictures Anthology: Little Hope. I'm really hoping nothing else in my list gets moved, I wasn't anticipating reshuffling too much as they all seemed locked in enough.

In actual gaming news - I'm still playing Judgment regularly. My character is currently parked (stuck) firmly in Club SEGA in front of a Puyo Puyo arcade machine. This personally might be the toughest thing I've had to do since the pool challenges in Yakuza 3. 99% of the Puyo Puyo challenges are doable bar the challenge to beat all 10 opponents. And to do that you need to go into infinite survival mode - continuously playing against a randomly generated set of opponents in one game until you encounter and beat all 10. I managed to get to 9/10 opponents beaten, but the final one 'Rulue' will only appear after 20 consecutive victories in one game and from there you just have to hope the opponent is spawned before you lose. There is an absolutely huge amount of RNG here. Some games i'll get past 20 consecutive victories, others I won't even get past the first round. So unless I get very very lucky after work tonight, I'm anticipating that i'll be grinding this for the rest of the week. Once I get past this, I think everything else is going to be relatively manageable so i'll progress again at a decent pace.

Thanks for all your updates everyone, it's been a horrible week in real life for me on multiple fronts so reading them and knowing we're all doing something together is really helping!

Hide contents
  1. Deathloop 0%
  2. Lost in Random 0%
  3. Hades - 0%
  4. Judgment - 14% > 17%
  5. Lost Judgment - 0%
  6. Psychonauts - 0%
  7. Pyschonauts 2 - 0%
  8. Monster Harvest - 0%
  9. Kena Bridge of Spirits - 0%
  10. Tales of Arise - 0%
  11. Far Cry 6 - 0%
  12. Guardians of the Galaxy - 0%
  13. Fatal Frame: Maiden of Blackwater - 0%
  14. Dying Light 2 - 0% >>> The Dark Pictures Anthology: Little Hope - 20%
  15. Carrion - 0%

I would argue that's a free swap if the release date gets shifted. Hope things are OK bud.

20 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Decided to start IX over, I missed a few things and I was so close to the beginning that it wasn't a big deal. Posted at the beginning so I can tackle the 1,000 jumps before proceeding with the game and actually enjoying myself1f602.png

Also that card game? Gar-bajjj. Even after extensively reading up on it, the HP of the cards still makes no damn sense. And apparently, it isn't enough to get a hundred wins - you've got to beat a hundred unique players. Luckily I was only going for the ten to get started, but sheesh. They don't want to make anything easy for this game, do they??

If you still have your first save file on your system, it might be good to keep it for your speed run for Excalibur 2. Although I would say play the game properly if this is your first time experiencing the story, then do your speed run so you can skip past the bulk of the dialogue.

And yeah, Tetra Master is no Triple Triad ? I finished the game and got the trophy, and I don't think I ever fully understood the rules. You get to a point where you pick up some good cards later on that does make it a bit easier. But you just have to play against pretty much everyone you encounter. The tournament in Treno is annoying though as you can't progress the story until you get past it, and the first few times I played I had basic crappy cards I couldn't get past round 1 ?

• Like 1

On 9/11/2021 at 11:17 AM, rjkclarke said:

Thought I'd take my buddy @YaManSmevz' advice and join in the fun...

So I think I'll try and have some variety to tackle first - just in case I get really burned out by something (probably Agents of Mayhem). So let's put a list together.

1. Agents of Mayhem (PS4) 0%
  2. Beholder 2 (PS4) 11%
  3. Darksiders III (PS4) 0%
  4. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 (PS3) 0%
  5. Hue (PS4) 0%
  6. Bastion (PS4) 0%
  7. Pyre (PS4) 0%
  8. Legend of Kay: Anniversary (PS3)
  9. Resident Evil 4 (PS4) 0%
  10. Oxenfree (PS4) 0%

That seems like enough to be getting on with for now.

Great to see you in here too @TalesofGaming - Also I'm really happy to see @KazaneHime - is taking up the good fight against my absolute favourite Tales of' game in Symphonia. I'm very much looking forward to seeing your progress with that one.

Also @Wild-Arms-R, I second that advice about Vesperia, that game just has quality in abundance - although pretty much any Tales of' title is a fairly good jumping in point, apart from maybe Zestiria and Symphonia (because for as much as I love Symphonia, the gameplay feels ancient these days) and well Zestiria isn't quite like any of the other titles in the series, but it's a little hard to easily define why without writing reams of text. Looking forward to seeing everyone's progress.

Sorry, just noticed this. Added.

14 hours ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

Thanks for all your updates everyone, it's been a horrible week in real life for me on multiple fronts so reading them and knowing we're all doing something together is really helping!

Damn. I'm sorry to hear that my dude, I hope things ease up on you some!

10 hours ago, Heather342 said:

If you still have your first save file on your system, it might be good to keep it for your speed run for Excalibur 2. Although I would say play the game properly if this is your first time experiencing the story, then do your speed run so you can skip past the bulk of the dialogue.

And yeah, Tetra Master is no Triple Triad 1f605.png I finished the game and got the trophy, and I don't think I ever fully understood the rules. You get to a point where you pick up some good cards later on that does make it a bit easier. But you just have to play against pretty much everyone you encounter. The tournament in Treno is annoying though as you can't progress the story until you get past it, and the first few times I played I had basic crappy cards I couldn't get past round 1 1f605.png

I played IX the first time around on the PS1, but I have the unique privilege of only remembering about 75% of it? Both IX and X I got to the very end and didn't finish for whatever reason!

I got a couple decent cards courtesy of hitting 100 jump ropes, but yeah the rest of my cards are ass. I'm dreading Treno for that very reason, I legit dislike this card game and it's so painfully obvious they were trying to replicate Triple Triad - even the music has the same vibe!

In a weird way I'm looking forward to the Excalibur 2 run. No jumping rope, no cards, no 10,000 kills, just in and out?

• Like 1