Oh Dear

Gecko-Byte

The problem isn't so much the games or players. Sony allows them (ratas, multiple regions, etc) so it wouldn't make sense for PSNP itself to do anything about it. We have a standard leaderboard with simple pre-defined rules. It also wouldn't be fair to edit these rules to the people who have spent time and effort climbing the ranks. 

However, the crux of the problem is that PSNP atm doesn't cater to all its audience. We all like to be competitive, but we don't have the same tastes in gaming. Some people like hard stuff, some just like to see the numbers go up, some only play one platform or one genre. Why should only one of these groups be allowed to be competitive?

Keep the main leaderboard as standard and built from there. We already have leaderboards for different platforms, why can't we have one for rarity, genre, stacks, whatever else people would want?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, xZoneHunter said:

Why should only one of these groups be allowed to be competitive?

Well, the current leaderboard may as well just be called The Rata Leaderboard, because they're the only people that stand a chance of getting on it.

A rarity leaderboard as a separate leaderboard isn't a bad idea, then it would cater to both sides.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ArabianSwordsman said:

(Thought I’d chime in as a person who’s boughten most of these games and the reasoning) 

I love getting plats, like A LOT! Whether it’s an indie game, aaa or even shovelware game like these I still enjoy getting that ding. Very much so that before the year started I made a goal for myself to get close to or try to reach top 500 in my country (US). The moment these games started coming out, I viewed it as a blessing and a curse. Realistically, most of the people I’m trying to catch are buying these games (and their stacks) and in order to keep up I have to play the system. I’m fortune enough to be in a position to buy these and go “eh, it’s only a dollar” so I really don’t mind, but I can totally see the frustration though. In the time a person is going for the plat for a game like My Time in Portia, a person like me can spend $10 and get around 8-10 plats in a span of 45 minutes and I triple their LB spot (especially if there’s a sale). Every time I 100% one of these I usually laugh about it like I really did that. That being said, I could do without these games but it is it what it is really. 

tl;dr - “as the good book says ‘we trophy hunters are blessed AND cursed” - big smoke to CJ when he got back to San Andreas for the first time 

Great post mate.

It was a TINY post, so definitely no need for a tl;dr. lol

But yeah if you want to go up the leaderboards quickly these games are indeed perfect.

If I was aiming to up the list quickly, like you, I would also likely "usually laugh about it like I really did that."

The double edged sword is of course like you said, "and in order to keep up I have to play the system" for every very easy game, you all need to buy them, ALL of you.

Or else those gains are gone, you take a huge step forward on one game but then everyone else plays that same easy game, in which case you're a step back to the place you were before you started.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

People don't have to justify what they play to you - "I would be much happier at this point if you were just honest and said you're interested in playing something vacuous instead of something that asks something from you"... calm down.

I'm not sure what you want me to calm down about, lol. I was calm, and that user ended up admitting that. 

I'd also say, arguing that someone should play more interesting stuff, but with less trophy reward for it is something I absolutely agree with you on... but you should temper your disapproval, as we all do different versions of the same thing to at least some extent - you included.

Do you really think there was no other game that might have challenged you or offered a more interesting experience than playing Bayonetta or Vanquish for the 4th time?  

That was for trophies too remember - if it was simply for the love of those games, you could have simply played the copy you had through again. The only reason you went out of your way to get all the different skews of both those games was to make sure you continued getting trophies as you repeat played.

Nothing wrong with that, but... let's not pretend that getting some easy trophies you knew you could achieve didn't factor into that decision.

I know you only have my word to go off of this, but PlatinumGames is my favourite game developer; so I want to have every possible platinum from them. Once I start playing other games that are not by them, you'll see that I won't really stack games. 

Plus, I never talked against stacking in this thread. I'm only saying to play games that you like. I love Bayonetta and Vanquish, so yeah, I platted them as many times as I could. 

I know that when I decide to replay a game that I loved, and it has a new version or a different skew, I will gravitate towards playing the one I don't have. Why? Because I can kill two birds with one stone - I get to replay a game I love, and I get some more trophies! There's nothing bad about that, and I don't feel the need to justify it, (nor should you, and certainly not to me,) but it is still "playing the game" to some extent. :dunno:

Yeah, I mean, I've played both Bayonetta and Vanquish on every console. Bayonetta has the most play time for me on Nintendo platforms. Also earned all of the games' Steam achievements. 

5 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Arcade games were made with the intention of taking kids quarters. That was how the companies made their money from them. Gunsmoke, a game I finished on Capcom Arcade Cabinet, is roughly 30 - 40 minutes long, but because of how insanely hard it was, I spent over 10 hours beating it.

Accessibility wasn't a thing back then. Today, accessibility is one of the top priorities of competent game developers. However, offering participation awards to everybody that joins in isn't the way to go about it.

Yeah, I'm aware. But they were designed to be stimulating, first and foremost. People aren't just going to put quarters in a machine for no reason. You had to be able to see tangible progress and the game had to be fun as well. That is what makes them great. 

That's right. On that topic, people think making games for the incapable is the same for making games for the inept. It is not. You should design games that help disabled players play the game, but there is no need to pander to people who were never interested in putting in real effort into the game in the first place. 

EDIT: Also, I noticed that the user who said I was stat shaming never gave evidence to me stat shaming. Good stuff. 

I also really like how whenever he disagrees with someone, he starts calling everything he disagrees with a logical fallacy, lmao. 

"Straw man argument" -- he clearly doesn't know what this means. 

"No true Scotsman" -- also doesn't really understand what this means. 

Incredible stuff. 

Edited by CelestialRequiem
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, CelestialRequiem said:

I didn't judge Ghost of Tsushima for its trophy rarity. I have no interest in the game because I don't like those kinds of games. 

So its okay for you to not enjoy certain games, and pick the ones you want to play... But not other people? 

Other people have repeatedly said they enjoy some of these easy plats, and yet that hasn't stopped you from jamming what you believe down others throats.

Yet nobody is jamming the games they like to play down yours.... hmmm..

• Like 3

1 minute ago, OFFICER_OILDAB said:

Other people have repeatedly said they enjoy some of these easy plats, and yet that hasn't stopped you from jamming what you believe down others throats.

Yet nobody is jamming the games they like to play down yours.... hmmm..

"Some" of those easy plats. 

Are you like Thrillhelm where you plan on perverting my words, as well? I hate to admit it, but he's a bit better at it than you. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, CelestialRequiem said:

"Some" of those easy plats. 

Are you like Thrillhelm where you plan on perverting my words, as well? I hate to admit it, but he's a bit better at it than you. 

Yeah, some, as in not everything we buy is as we expect. Ive bought AAA games for 60 that I did not enjoy at all, still finished them because I bought them. You're going to tell me you've never done the same? Thing is though, there's a lot less disappointment in buying something you don't like for $1-5, over $40+ 

Everyone you respond to, tells you they are enjoying some of them and some of them they dont. So who cares? Its their money and their time, so they get to decide how to spend it. Some people choose be to miserable their whole lives, its sad, but thats ultimately up to them. If people are getting some sort of high from these easy platinums, and obtaining an addiction along with it, it's up to them to change their ways, not you.

What if people enjoy climbing rank more than playing games themself? Maybe in their perspective PSN *is* the game, and they're winning xD Regardless, if they're getting enjoyment out of it then its simply that. They're getting enjoyment out it. You can't tell them they aren't enjoying it, just because you wouldn't. 

I don't enjoy a lot of things others do; Never once have I had the audacity to tell someone to quit enjoying something because I didnt. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

Lol, I'll check this out

It started as a demo of a shitty wrestling game but expanded to 5 different lps and the final one WWE2K14 Supergreatfriend created characters for all his previous lets plays and built a story of Bully having to win the title to save the universe from killerman.

It is a work of art. Also based on his trophies you can tell he didnt play WWE beyond his create a story ?

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/2209-wwe-2k14/supergreatfrien

4 hours ago, OFFICER_OILDAB said:

Yeah, some, as in not everything we buy is as we expect. Ive bought AAA games for 60 that I did not enjoy at all, still finished them because I bought them. You're going to tell me you've never done the same? Thing is though, there's a lot less disappointment in buying something you don't like for $1-5, over $40+ 

What does that have to do with anything? No one was talking about that. 

Everyone you respond to, tells you they are enjoying some of them and some of them they dont. So who cares? Its their money and their time, so they get to decide how to spend it. Some people choose be to miserable their whole lives, its sad, but thats ultimately up to them. If people are getting some sort of high from these easy platinums, and obtaining an addiction along with it, it's up to them to change their ways, not you.

I would never rob someone of their agency and what control they have over themselves in their life -- and that wasn't what I was doing. I was simply stating that you do not need to force yourself to play bad games. I am going to criticize anyone who plays these games just for trophies, as I find it to be vacuous. Sorry. I'm free to do that. 

What if people enjoy climbing rank more than playing games themself? Maybe in their perspective PSN *is* the game, and they're winning xD Regardless, if they're getting enjoyment out of it then its simply that. They're getting enjoyment out it. You can't tell them they aren't enjoying it, just because you wouldn't. 

I would also criticize that. 

I don't enjoy a lot of things others do; Never once have I had the audacity to tell someone to quit enjoying something because I didnt. 

I never did that once in this thread. 

I'm sorry, can you please keep up with the conversation if you're going to reply to me? I shouldn't have to keep on correcting you because you're saying I'm doing things that I haven't ever done. 

Edited by CelestialRequiem
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, majob said:

Shovelware has existed long before many of you were born and shovelware will exist long after you are all dead. 

Well put, a little fatalistic but I can't fault that. Now that the base work has been laid down let's try to find the point of this statement. My guess is that people are complaining for no reason but if that's the case I'm not sure I agree

• Like 2

Woah. This thread certainly is a lot.

I am very new to this site and mostly do trophies as part of my own enjoyment of games, i've always been a multiplatform gamer who focused on different platforms at different times, so I never really understood the idea of "competing" in any sense for trophies and foresake the diversity of playing many different games on different platforms.

I would like to pose this question. If trophies are still a PSN thing in 40 years (2061). How could anyone born in the year 2046 for example hope to grab a top 100 spot on the leaderboard?

This is why both sports and esports operate in seasons. One team might win one year, whilst another wins the next. Yes, people still stat track and and say this person on team is the best of all time, or has best win streak, most season wins etc.

A potential way to make it competitive would have set parameters, like beat as many games as possible in a given time period, or as many games as possible from a sort of curated list of upcoming games. Have people opt in to the leaderboard if they wish to compete.

I find the idea of a <50% site rarity leaderboard very interesting. I wonder whether it would end up being an issue for the 40-49.99% range of games though. As many people competing on this type of leaderboard would likely then look at the games in that range as the "easiest" platinums to obtain that count on that leaderboard, and if too many people from this site then focus on obtaining the plat for those 40-49.99% games, they will gradually go over 50% and then no longer count. So that could potentially be a big pitfall where your Plat count for the leaderboard could drop if too many people focus on the same games in that range.

Would like to hear your thoughts.

Edited by BenDaMAN303
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, BenDaMAN303 said:

I find the idea of a <50% site rarity leaderboard very interesting. I wonder whether it would end up being an issue for the 40-49.99% range of games though. As many people competing on this type of leaderboard would likely then look at the games in that range as the "easiest" platinums to obtain that count on that leaderboard, and if too many people from this site then focus on obtaining the plat for those 40-49.99% games, they will gradually go over 50% and then no longer count. So that could potentially be a big pitfall where your Plat count for the leaderboard could drop if too many people focus on the same games in that range.

Would like to hear your thoughts.

That's actually the point of a rarity leaderboard - it's dynamic and would be the closest we can get to your sports example.

• Like 2

I mostly get easy plats to maintain my leaderboard rank. For a short time several years ago, I was in the top 300 UK trophy hunters on this site, mostly because of the sheer volume of trophies I had (I played a lot). If I'd never been that high, I probably wouldn't care - but since I was, I still like the idea of a high(ish) rank. 

At the same time, average rarity has become a big deal to me over the last year or so. The COVID lockdown resulted in me having more free time, some of which I put towards earning quality (and rare) plats, so I want to preserve an average trophy rarity of about 49%. That's where I am right now, so I only get easy plats in moderation (like today, which saw my average rarity go up by a gut-wrenching 0.14%). 

The way I see it, it's very easy to adapt easy platinums to your specific gaming habits, and your specific trophy goals. For some people, it's all about the leaderboard. For others, it's about pure skill. Trophy hunters will have a huge amount of easy plats, or extremely few, accordingly. I'm somewhere in the middle.

I admit that the recent flood of easy-plat, low-quality games is distasteful, but ultimately I don't see it as a massive problem. No leaderboard is definitive for this particular hobby, and people are going to judge you regardless, based on their own personal criteria. I myself could quite easily be judged for my easy platinums (40 over 90+ rarity, last time I checked), but as I've said, I have other considerations that influence my choices. It is what it is.