Oh Dear

Gecko-Byte

14 hours ago, ArabianSwordsman said:

(Thought I’d chime in as a person who’s boughten most of these games and the reasoning) 

I love getting plats, like A LOT! Whether it’s an indie game, aaa or even shovelware game like these I still enjoy getting that ding. Very much so that before the year started I made a goal for myself to get close to or try to reach top 500 in my country (US). The moment these games started coming out, I viewed it as a blessing and a curse. Realistically, most of the people I’m trying to catch are buying these games (and their stacks) and in order to keep up I have to play the system. I’m fortune enough to be in a position to buy these and go “eh, it’s only a dollar” so I really don’t mind, but I can totally see the frustration though. In the time a person is going for the plat for a game like My Time in Portia, a person like me can spend $10 and get around 8-10 plats in a span of 45 minutes and I triple their LB spot (especially if there’s a sale). Every time I 100% one of these I usually laugh about it like I really did that. That being said, I could do without these games but it is it what it is really. 

tl;dr - “as the good book says ‘we trophy hunters are blessed AND cursed” - big smoke to CJ when he got back to San Andreas for the first time 

This is flawed logic. 

You’re climbing up a slippery slope here. You have the choice to play whatever game you want, good or bad. I’m all for that. 

However, nobody is forcing you to play these bad games. Yet your statement proves you care more for the trophies than you care for the games themselves. Like that other guy who earned over 100 platinums over the past month by playing shovelware. 

Unless you’re aiming for the top of the leaderboards, I suggest you play more games that are worthwhile and have fun. Nobody cares if you’re rank 100 in America, I’m sorry but that’s just the way it is. 

You need to ask yourself, what are you aiming for. You play one easy game and go forward, but so is everyone else. You’re back to where you started.

• Like 3

This has become a hot topic ? with games like pammy and Jane story, you may aswell let go of the platinum experience and do what you makes you happy. Platinums don’t mean much to me anymore, I have 400% more than my friend but all his platinums are respectable games but then I have my fair share of decent games/platinums. I just enjoy gaming and kinda like getting trophies ??‍♂️ I’m not competitive about it though, I don’t care I keep dropping in the leaderboards. I’m enjoying playing story games atm. 
And Ghost Of Tsushima is out this Friday for the PS5 so I'm buzzing for that ?

21 minutes ago, AJ_-_808 said:

That's actually the point of a rarity leaderboard - it's dynamic and would be the closest we can get to your sports example.

Okay, that definitely does make sense. People would adust if they wanted to play to compete and will be trying to big brain it and pick games that aren't likely to get pushed off the leaderboard by rarity.

I think season or even yearly rarity based leaderboards should also be considered. Some might just want to compete for a particular time or season where they have the free time/disposable income, or if there is a season where a lot of challenging but fun games that are coming out. Although, you would possibly be guessing the future rarity of unreleased games Plats, which could be annoying.

1 hour ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

Well put, a little fatalistic but I can't fault that. Now that the base work has been laid down let's try to find the point of this statement. My guess is that people are complaining for no reason but if that's the case I'm not sure I agree

A little along those lines. Breakthrough Games are just one in a long line of shovelware and shovelware has been a part of the gaming industry since the 70s. To see people here posting about how these games are a downward spiral seem to forget that shovelware has always been a thing but now it's a thing with trophies.

This is from 7 years ago...gamers were smart enough to ignore this. Release the same  game today with a plat and 11 golds and they would buy it.

Also honestly can anyone name...lets say a dozen top trophy hunters? I am sure a few can but think on that as you chase a leader board spot...you are only doing it for you...no one else cares.

Like people know hakoom because it was a huge journey. Do people actually care about the new person (cant be bothered to look up the name)?

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, majob said:

A little along those lines. Breakthrough Games are just one in a long line of shovelware and shovelware has been a part of the gaming industry since the 70s. To see people here posting about how these games are a downward spiral seem to forget that shovelware has always been a thing but now it's a thing with trophies.

Shovelware for decades was knock offs. When Super Mario Bros made history in 1985, there were a lot of knockoffs that simply stole the formula. The Angry Video Game Nerd covered a number of these knockoffs in his old reviews. They were poorly designed and they were almost unplayable. 

Popular movies like Terminator and The Karate Kid later had games that were complete shitfests. You can argue that these games were shovelware.

That was the old shovelware. The modern shovelware we’re getting today is a whole different beast.

Like @enaysoft said, they’re disguised as games. It’s a predatory business model that works. That dude who keeps cranking out this crap isn’t stupid, he knows his audience, and he knows he can profit from it. 

33 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

This is from 7 years ago...gamers were smart enough to ignore this. Release the same  game today with a plat and 11 golds and they would buy it.

Also honestly can anyone name...lets say a dozen top trophy hunters? I am sure a few can but think on that as you chase a leader board spot...you are only doing it for you...no one else cares.

Like people know hakoom because it was a huge journey. Do people actually care about the new person (cant be bothered to look up the name)?

His name is Ikemenzi. I couldn’t give a damn less about him. The fact that he has already been insulted and threatened on social media is sinking to a new low. 

Eventually people will go back to what they were doing prior. Play games for fun, enjoy your time with them.

@Unknown_v2_0 messaged me and told me he quit trophy hunting. The easy games ruined his enjoyment of the hobby. He hasn’t played since October last year.

Nobody cares if your rank 20 worldwide. It all feels pointless and a waste of time.

• Like 3

On 8/18/2021 at 0:39 AM, TheArcadeKid said:

At the same time, average rarity has become a big deal to me over the last year or so. The COVID lockdown resulted in me having more free time, some of which I put towards earning quality (and rare) plats, so I want to preserve an average trophy rarity of about 49%. That's where I am right now, so I only get easy plats in moderation (like today, which saw my average rarity go up by a gut-wrenching 0.14%).

The average rarity won't be much accurate cause this low tier plats only have 11 golds ?

while other normal/high tier titles range from 30 to 60 trophies that could be all common (from 50% and still bring down your average rarity well with a single title)

Edited by Nelson_Otaku

5 hours ago, KenjiCBZ said:

People are entitled to share their opinions...

Didn't say they weren't.

9 hours ago, Alos88 said:

This feels like you could post it anywhere on the internet at this point and it would never be out of context.

Hahaha

10 hours ago, KennethMcCormick said:

I did, but it made me nervous, so I turned to my better half for comfort. Then I remembered I lived alone and it made me sad, so I went back to live in my parents’ basement, which made me angry.

Lmao fair enough

I totally agree with these games either should not exist or be capped at 10 bronze trophies and no platinum. I have a ton of games on my account and have spent alot of time staying decently high on the leaderboards. I never stack games either. Its pathetic that i feel like i have to play these stupid games just to "maintain" my ranking. I play alot of games. I play tons of triple A tiltles, a bunch of really hard games ill never complete and really long grindy games. I do have alot of garbage over the last few years to keep up with other hunters, but i would perfer that these games didnt exist so i could chase with respect like the earlier years. 

The only games i enjoy are some of the ratalika games and my 8yr old daughter likes the "break" games alot. But the break games should come standard with 2 player and there should be an intial fee $9.99-$19.99 for the intial game and charge like $2.99 for new skins. 

Edited by IvoryRose88

Well I played some questionable trash back in the day when I was infatuated with getting to 100 platinums for whatever reason, but I do think this is bottom of the barrel, I rather platinum Star Ocean 5 again than play these trashwares nowadays.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rowbokop said:

Right, here you go:

https://psnprofiles.com/leaderboard/rarity

Can all you haters go chase this leaderboard and just leave us alone?

?

That leaderboard is, unfortunately, broken.

1 hour ago, Wild-Arms-R said:

Is there a reason why the top 20 all have private lists? Lol

It's broken and not regulated for flagged accounts

• Like 1