Trophy thoughts

Clafoutee

I tried to kill the Shambler with just the axe, and it didn't end well. To make the Close Shave trophy easier, soften up the Shambler with your gun of choice first. When you're sure you can kill him in just a few hits with the axe, switch over. You're good as long as the axe deals the killing hit.

Edited by RadiantFlamberge

• 2 weeks later...

I would have been pumped for this if I'd have known it was coming out. I suppose I was still bummed about MS buying Zenimax so I wasn't following id/Bethesda all that much.

The trophy list is a little lazy but there are a few good trophies in there and as you can save at any time - it's all completely doable.

Some of the DLC's are challenging on Nightmare - but with the ability to save at any time it is really a 3/10 difficulty.

Edited by Shady_Wombat

• 4 weeks later...

A quick word on the Slipgate Pacifist trophy. "Without firing a shot" means exactly that... so feel free to use the axe to cut down enemies. It doesn't count against you. I killed about a couple dozen enemies enroute to the exit using the axe before getting this.

Edited by RadiantFlamberge

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to add the PS5 version to my library (in case it was a separate item) since the devs said the PS5 was going to be free but I can't seem to find Quake on the Store mobile app, and the PS4 version isn't displayed in my library (on the app). 

Edited by Deceptrox

39 minutes ago, Deceptrox said:

I wanted to add the PS5 version to my library (in case it was a separate item) since the devs said the PS5 was going to be free but I can't seem to find Quake on the Store mobile app, and the PS4 version isn't displayed in my library (on the app). 

Yeah, checked too, and it came up with nothing

1 hour ago, Deceptrox said:

Oh dear - it's happening again...

The same thing happened with Pumpkin Jack when they were getting ready to announce the PS5 upgrade - they added it in the backend which forced the front-end version to vanish (it was re-added a few days ago).

Do you have a PS4? If so, you should be able to buy and download it from there. Trying to grab from the store (https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP1003-CUSA24594_00-QKRMST0000000000/) will probably result in an error.

If you can test these and let me know, I'll email my contact at Bethesda as they're probably not aware of the issue. If the PS5 version is out soon, they probably won't bother fixing it as it'll resolve itself, but if there's a month or so left then they'll get Sony to fix the issue
--------------------------------------------------
Nevermind - I've just checked - it's the same as Pumpkin Jack - you can buy it on the PS4 and then download it on your PS5 via the library on the console. But, it's vanished from the website, mobile app, and PS5 store as the PS5 version is there in the background, but because it's not out yet, it's also hidden the PS4 version on everything but the PS4 console. 

I hope this isn't going to be an issue moving forward but seeing as two games have had the issue in the last few weeks, there's clearly a bug in the PSN backend.

Edited by turniplord
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, turniplord said:

Oh dear - it's happening again...

The same thing happened with Pumpkin Jack when they were getting ready to announce the PS5 upgrade - they added it in the backend which forced the front-end version to vanish (it was re-added a few days ago).

Do you have a PS4? If so, you should be able to buy and download it from there. Trying to grab from the store (https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP1003-CUSA24594_00-QKRMST0000000000/) will probably result in an error.

Yup, I have it installed on my PS4 but like I said, it's nowhere to be found on the mobile app.

5 minutes ago, Deceptrox said:

Yup, I have it installed on my PS4 but like I said, it's nowhere to be found on the mobile app.

I've emailed Bethesda and told Yosp on Twitter (as he sometimes escalates things which aren't working as intended).

It's basically pulled from the mobile app, website and the PS5 store in both NA and EU regions - it'll be because they're getting ready to launch the PS5 version but haven't linked the two correctly (or the PSN backend system is incorrectly thinking the game isn't out because the post-launch PS5 version isn't out yet).

The PS5 version isn't live yet though, they haven't even officially announced it - we only know it's close because the trophies went up on PSN yesterday. It all depends on when it's due to launch though, fixing it could take a few weeks (as it did with Pumpkin Jack), but if it's getting a secret launch later this week then that'll just resolve the issue. It's all up to Bethesda as to how they deal with it now :)

• Like 1

On 24-8-2021 at 3:00 AM, RadiantFlamberge said:

I tried to kill the Shambler with just the axe, and it didn't end well. To make the Close Shave trophy easier, soften up the Shambler with your gun of choice first. When you're sure you can kill him in just a few hits with the axe, switch over. You're good as long as the axe deals the killing hit.

That trophy is actually really an easy one lol. I found that thing that gives you 666 health and invincible for a few seconds and I chopped him with my axe no problem.

15 hours ago, turniplord said:

I've emailed Bethesda and told Yosp on Twitter (as he sometimes escalates things which aren't working as intended).

It's basically pulled from the mobile app, website and the PS5 store in both NA and EU regions - it'll be because they're getting ready to launch the PS5 version but haven't linked the two correctly (or the PSN backend system is incorrectly thinking the game isn't out because the post-launch PS5 version isn't out yet).

The PS5 version isn't live yet though, they haven't even officially announced it - we only know it's close because the trophies went up on PSN yesterday. It all depends on when it's due to launch though, fixing it could take a few weeks (as it did with Pumpkin Jack), but if it's getting a secret launch later this week then that'll just resolve the issue. It's all up to Bethesda as to how they deal with it now :)

The PS5 is live, I just added it to my library. The PS4 version is still hidden.

1 hour ago, Deceptrox said:

The PS5 is live, I just added it to my library. The PS4 version is still hidden.

I'm not sure why it's missing off the app, it is cross-buy though, so buying it on the app will allow you to download it on both consoles. The website and PS5 console has been updated to the dual-entitlement edition, with the PS5 letting you select which version you want to download.

There was a bug previously where all PS4 versions of cross-buy games were hidden (so you didn't pick the wrong one to download), but Sony changed that after I emailed them a few times about it. This may be affected by the same 'issue'? I'll drop the PR another email later this week if it's not been fixed.

Edited by turniplord
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so I want to start PS5 version. Is it really that hard? I kinda was raised by those shooters and love Doom and Duke Nukem. Actually never fully played Quake 1, so it will be kinda new to me, but can we make quick saves on PS5 instantly just by hitting some button or are there checkpoints? I see that platinum has ultra rare rarity, so is it that hard or just not so many people playing and willing to hit plat? 

• Like 1

I have the PS5 plat, it's just a pretty big time investment combined with the fact that the game is as far as I'm aware, still buggy. I grew up with Quake (and eventually the Scourge of Armagon and Dissolution of Eternity expansions) and have completed the core game dozens of times including challenge runs, so I'm very familiar with it, but it could be tough for people coming in completely fresh. The new Dimension of the Past episode is also full of levels that are WAY bigger than anything before, although there aren't that many maps.

Most notable thing to look out for as I mentioned in the corrupted data thread here is that going to the secret maps breaks saves. This happens on PS5 as well and I believe it to be true for the PS4 version too. I noticed it once my save corrupted upon starting the levels directly after clearing the secret maps on the first two episodes and then never had any problems at all when I stopped going to the secret maps. I honestly expect a lot of people have dropped the game or at least held off for now until it's patched, leading to the current rarity. So my advice is just clear the game normally on Nightmare then go back to the required levels for the secret maps on Easy via level select to trigger the 'find secret exit XX' trophies afterwards.

The only tough trophies really are the two Shambler trophies (there are a couple of occasions where you can get Quad Damage and Invuln at the same time in an enclosed space, just run up and axe the fuckers and you'll get both), the E1M1 pacifist trophy which is honestly kinda spicy but you CAN use your axe, just not shoot, so go all Jack Nicholson through the map, and the Pain Maze no damage run. For the latter, make sure you do it when you're doing your full episode run as you'll benefit a lot from a full armoury. There's an invisibility ring in the central area under the water in the room with the elevators and rafters (you'll know the place) which you can bring back to the room with the pusher trap and the billion spawns that lasts JUST long enough to clear that room without being aggroed, which allows you to skip the main source of bullshit in that map. Once you've gotten both keys and get to the final altar room just shoot it and leg it for the exit, no point in fighting anything in there.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I completed the whole Quake campaign on PS4 (slim) on Normal difficulty with all secret levels in the same run and didn't have any game breaking bugs or any significant issues at all.

The only issue I had was on Shub-Niggurat's Pit last night. On the way to her I saved the game and my Nail and Supernail guns dissapear from my saved slot after I loaded it like 4 or 5 times upon being killed by the Shamblers/Vores combination.

Maybe the guns didn't have any ammo left, that might explain why they were gone. Either way I loaded a previous saved slot and was able to complete the game just fine.

The game keeps spawning a Shambler or Vore once you kill one of them, so I just rushed to the portal upon killing the very first Shambler. I hope that works for Nightmare difficulty too, otherwise you won't make it to the portal without ammo.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hey, Guys.

I have never played any Quake games before on a console. 

But what I need to know is are there any missable trophies? 

Finishing Nightmare will unlock all difficulty related trophies?

Thank you.

Edited by TheDarkKratos

16 hours ago, GodKaio-Ken said:

How did the trophy for episode 2 pop but not 1. 

Is it bugged or did I not do something in episode one? 

Nevermind, I'm a doofus who didn't even realize the opening is a level select screen. I just chose level 2 first randomly. 

Edited by GodKaio-Ken

10 hours ago, TheDarkKratos said:

Are there any missable trophies? 

Finishing Nightmare will unlock all difficulty related trophies?

No missables, there's a level select.

Nightmare trophies are the only difficulty related trophies.

• Like 1