Do you Buy it NOW or wait for a sale

MikeOrator

Most games I will wait for a sale, but there are a few exceptions. If it is a series that I have been following for a while or a remaster of a game I loved as a kid then I tend to get them when they release.

• Like 1

I generally don't buy games day one, apart from some very few exceptions. I bought RDR2 and TLOU2 on launch day, couldn't wait for those. I was tempted with Cyberpunk, dodged a bullet on that one. That's pretty much it. Back in the day I pre-ordered PAL MGS2, despite playing it to death earlier, then MGS3 when it came out. That's it, 4 games and one temptation in over two decades. 

When I was a kid, I couldn't really afford games day one. Then as I got older, games became what we know today - day one patches, weeks or months of balance changes, dlcs. Even though the hype sometimes gets to me, I tend to wait for a polished/finished product and then I get it either on sale or when "I feel like playing this". 

Most Nintendo first-party games I purchase I buy early on due to their evergreen high price. PlayStation is different. Games under $15 I tend to get at full price quite a bit unless they have a history of sales. 

If I really want a game that's $40 or above brand new, screw waiting for a sale. I'll just get it. I got Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga as a pre-order even though I knew it would go on sale at least a few times in 2022 (it already has). 

Money is a bit tight for me atm because i only just got over dealing with the financial drain having to suddenly move because of hurricane ida last year and pretty much my entire gaming budget is being funded by rewards sites like Swagbucks, lootup, microsoft rewards, ect.(which i manage about 20-50$ a week doing surveys an hour a day and leaving my laptop on Hideout.Co videos for a few hours in the background give or take) as my actual money is being spent on home improvement projects so the only games i bought or are buying day 1 is Klonoa phantasy reviere and eiyuden chronicle rising .

• Like 1

Depends on the franchise. I'm in a good position money-wise in my life right now, so if something is coming out that is from a franchise I love or if I'm really interested in something new, I'll pre-order on a credit card. The credit card means I don't have to stress about how much is getting taken from my main account when the game releases, and its easy to pay off. 

Although, there are definitely franchises I like that I wait for sales on. For example, I love the Dark Pictures Anthology and Supermassive games. However, I don't believe that a movie-like choice based game is worth as much as the typical big blockbuster releases we get lately. I think its kind of insane that they're selling The Quarry for $70 on PS5 and I'm not pre-ordering because of that. I'm not boycotting or anything, I just genuinely don't think that price is worth it. Similar thing for Life is Strange: True Colors. Still haven't bought that physically yet. 

• Like 1

It is incredibly rare for me to buy day 1, the last  I did that was for the Last of Us 2, before that it was God of War 2018 and before that was Prey. The latter two were more like first month it was out rather than day 1. Mainly because of money, but there is also a time factor. While I do spend a good amount of time playing games every week it still isn't enough to keep up with my backlog let alone adding new games. 

I do miss talking about a game when it first comes out and being a part of that experience but I can and will wait so I don't break the bank, on the plus side. I benefit when those titles drop on Plus.

Always on sale I buy the games, long are gone the times where I could afford full price games, I also have huge backlog, so any game that I have some interest, eventually by the time I get to them, they have reduced prices.

Only exception would be Nintendo games, since rarely I find any good sales unfortunately.

• Like 1

Depends on the game for me. I collect physical games and admittedly find it hard to pay for a physical game that I can get free digitally. So xbox game pass and the new ps plus doesn't appeal to my collector in me. But if it's a game I don't want to wait to play, or it has really cool physical preorder editions like forbidden west, I'll buy day one. Otherwise I'll wait for a sale. Specifically gamestops buy 2 get one free sale. I have about $300 in gamestop gift cards from Christmas, my bday and upcoming fathers day that'll sit until a good sale and I'll get a nice chunk of games at once. 

• Like 1

There ae very few games that I buy day 1 these days, primarily due to the fact that I simply cannot afford to buy a video game for a full $60 maybe more than once every couple months after rent, utilities, and food are accounted for. My current rule of thumb is to keep everything I'm interested in wishlisted, then pick it up when it drops to $10 or less - if it's a trilogy pack, $30 or less is also fine.

Depends on the game but generally wait until it becomes a decent price for what it is. The last time I paid full price for a game was Red Dead 2. Like what many have said, if you can buy the game a year down the line with the dlc packs/ season pass for 40% of it's original price - I'm going to do that.

I never buy games at launch, in the past 12 years the only game I can remember picking up day one was Dark Souls 2. Being a trophy enthusiast means you're spending longer on games anyway so that makes it easier to wait for sales on anything new. For AAA titles I always wait for the DLC to be released and get whatever Ultimate/Gold/GotY edition comes along at a discounted price.

I don't care if a game will be on a heavy sale soon after launch or included in a service later, for the games I like and the studios that have a record of making games I like, I always try to pre order them because there is no better way of supporting them more than that, and if I want more games that I like and want the studios that make games I like to keep making games, I have to support them the best way I can

Edited by The Investigator

Sales.

I usually pre-order ONE game a year to sort of treat myself and it has to be something I really want to justify the price. This year it was Horizon: Forbidden West. But...I had money on my Amazon account at the time that was gifted to me so I paid for the whole game with that, so I technically got it for free. Next year will probably be Spider-Man 2. 

99% of my purchases come from eBay. A little bit of patience goes a long way. I tend to only search for sellers with the "Allows Offers" tab, so not only am I searching for a low price, but then I offer lower than that. Most of the time it ends up in negotiations, but most of the time, I'm getting great deals (I've gotten as much as $20 off an already low asking price before). There's the PS Store purchase as well when a sale is actually worth a crap. 

Either way, games aren't worth their price tags anymore...especially not at $70. I don't really have FOMO, so waiting on getting something below $30 is just good sense. 

18 hours ago, grapetrap said:

Eu vi um post nos fóruns do Playstation de um cara reclamando que todos os jogos que ele compra para seu Playstation agora vão estar no PS Plus Extra de graça. Ele continua dizendo que nunca mais comprará um jogo, pois pode esperar que seja lançado gratuitamente no serviço. Só estou curioso para saber se mais alguém sente o mesmo. Há muitos jogos que eu posso esperar para sempre para jogar também. Eu, no entanto, gosto de jogar os grandes jogos AAA em torno da janela de lançamento com o resto da comunidade e não me importo de gastar 60, 70 ou até 80 dólares fazendo isso. Meu problema é quando há vários jogos saindo ao mesmo tempo e, em seguida, temos escolhas.  

O que vocês fazem? Se você tem um Playstation, você jogou Horizon, Ghostwire e, finalmente, Elden Ring como eu. Eu não peguei Stanger in Paradise ou Tiny Tina embora. Eu também recebo qualquer jogo de Far Cry ou Assassins Creed no primeiro dia também (não me julgue, eu sei o que as pessoas pensam da fórmula do jogo da Ubisoft), pois adoro esses jogos, não importa o quão derivativos sejam. 

Eu não sei qual é a minha verdadeira pergunta, mas só queria ter algumas ideias sobre Você compra AGORA ou espera uma venda?

Obs:

Se já houver um tópico semelhante iniciado que eu perdi, posso excluir este e comentar o tópico original.

Your question is very good and pertinent and it seems that it was written directly to me.

You present not a dilemma, but a trilemma: OR buy games at launch, OR wait for a sale, OR don't buy games at all while you are part of one or more subscription services.  

After I got back to gaming in 2019 after a 20 long hiatus (I'm in my 40s now), I chose the PlayStation platform without having a precise idea of how many games had come out within a wide range between decent and wonderful.  So I've been addicted to hunting deals as a timely way to get to know and purchase games at a more convenient price.

It so happened that I have a gigantic library, with a number of games that I'm ashamed to confess.  I feel like I've developed the fear syndrome of always missing something.  At a certain point, I gave myself a general rule of thumb not to buy anything from sales except games that are at least 70% off.

Yes, of course, for many of them I've been waiting like a real old spider behind the door.

Still, I've often felt frustrated when these same games are offered later at an even greater discount or when worse yet they participate in psplus.  I feel that now, with the renewal of psplus, my tendency to buy games in sales will inevitably drop a lot and I will be happy with what I have.

In fact, I'm in a situation where I'm almost sad about having too much.  The world's appeal for new things is really overwhelming, and I think that's the background issue we  have to deal with.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2022 at 8:45 PM, RuggedProGaming said:

Depends on the game for me. I collect physical games and admittedly find it hard to pay for a physical game that I can get free digitally. So xbox game pass and the new ps plus doesn't appeal to my collector in me. But if it's a game I don't want to wait to play, or it has really cool physical preorder editions like forbidden west, I'll buy day one. Otherwise I'll wait for a sale. Specifically gamestops buy 2 get one free sale. I have about $300 in gamestop gift cards from Christmas, my bday and upcoming fathers day that'll sit until a good sale and I'll get a nice chunk of games at once. 

I recently started collecting more physical games.  I can generally get most older PS4 games from people on local selling sites for 5 to 10 bucks each.  It's nice to have them and I compare it to having a record collection.  

I buy an obnoxious amount of games in almost every sale with the mindset that one day it might get nuked from the store, but in reality I'm just compulsive and end up buying more than I'll ever be able to play thus increasing my backlog and frustration.

Big first party titles like Horizon or Uncharted that I love I'll pre-order for Day 1 purchase. Fully aware there might be a bug or so but I like the devs work so I'll pay full price to support them. I also want these franchises to continue so more day 1 sales more likely it continues. This also goes for anything star wars related.

If I do pickup a sale title and really like it I generally pickup the DLC too.

Titles like Ratchet and Clank or Little Big Planet are the sort I hold off on until PS+ gives them.

I would have to be really excited to buy something day 1.  I only ever pre-ordered 2 games in my life, so it really just depends on the game I guess.  It's not really dependent on a sale, it really depends on if I have other games not started or finished that I need to clean up first.  I like to work on what I have, then buy like 10 games, then do those 10 games, just to give myself some options.

In Australia, full price games are $100-AUD (or $110 if you take Evil Overlord Jim's $10 increase into consideration). Most of the time, I'm not letting myself buy games which cost more than $50 but I may make exceptions for games with strong creative initiative (from studios that aren't wealthy) to buy it day one, for less than $90.

I never wait for sales. If I see a game that looks interesting and I'd want to play it, I buy it or pre-order it and in most cases, I'm not disappointed in having not waited. That's just how I've always been. I'd rather pay full price, take the chance maybe, rather than waiting who knows how long until it goes on sale. I don't play that many games really so I guess I can do that without hurting the wallet too much. 

The only time I really look up sales is when I run out of things to play. I'll pick up games I probably wouldn't have played otherwise but because they're so cheap, I'll buy them on sale just to give me something to play in the meantime.