Not to freak anyone out but....

POEman553

2 minutes ago, Colin said:

I know this is about BC1 but,

Isn't mercenaries 2 P2P? What sort of trophies are going to be unobtainable in that game?

4 co-op trophies and 2 campaign trophies. You have to earn $1 million and $1 billion dollars while connected to EA servers.

12 minutes ago, Colin said:

I know this is about BC1 but,

Isn't mercenaries 2 P2P? What sort of trophies are going to be unobtainable in that game?

At least 2 money ones, they require connection to EA Servers. Coop things might be doable with LAN, but who knows.

And yeah, Bad Company 1 is in danger, but it's mildly popular since it's only on PS3 and 360 (Mercs 2's online is buggy, and so Red Alert's too). They might give the game more time.

Shutting down a Battlefield, doesn't matter its age, especially now with the terrible state of the franchise would probably be the final nail in the coffin. But in the end it's EA, so who knows but they would do way better to just let it run, at least until the next BF that is actually good on release is out (whenever that happens...).

In my opinion this should be a BC3 or at least a remaster/remake of BC1 and/or 2, but only if it's good.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, woggly4 said:

Shutting down a Battlefield, doesn't matter its age, especially now with the terrible state of the franchise would probably be the final nail in the coffin. But in the end it's EA, so who knows but they would do way better to just let it run, at least until the next BF that is actually good on release is out (whenever that happens...).

In my opinion this should be a BC3 or at least a remaster/remake of BC1 and/or 2, but only if it's good.

There was a rumour doing the rounds a few years back that a BC3 was in development but nothing came of it so was presumably scrapped in favour of whatever came out instead.

3 hours ago, HuntingFever said:

There was a rumour doing the rounds a few years back that a BC3 was in development but nothing came of it so was presumably scrapped in favour of whatever came out instead.

Yeah, I think they wanted to release a new Bad Company but then realized fans would hate it and changed it to 2042. This would also explain why they remade BC maps. I'm still waiting for a proper successor and I appreciate that "someone" cancelled it to not waste the Bad Company franchise, and I have high hopes for the next story-driven Battlefield, that is also rumored, to be Bad Company.

10 minutes ago, demonviper666 said:

Don't see them shutting this down for another year or so.   Unless sony force them to.     Bad company is on gamepass  servers are active. On there. 

What happens with the Xbox 360 versions of games, doesn't always apply to the PS3. The servers for Ghostbusters: The Video Game were up for years on the Xbox 360 before finally shuttering but the PS3 version was terminated without warning, years earlier :(.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

What happens with the Xbox 360 versions of games, doesn't always apply to the PS3. The servers for Ghostbusters: The Video Game were up for years on the Xbox 360 before finally shuttering but the PS3 version was terminated without warning, years earlier :(.

But different company not own by ea.       Ea shutdown on both usually

18 hours ago, demonviper666 said:

Don't see them shutting this down for another year or so.   Unless sony force them to.     Bad company is on gamepass  servers are active. On there. 

I only bring it up due to the timing of the release dates for all three games and all three using similar older methods/servers for EA Online. EA could be shutting down all games using EA Online soon.

Battlefield Bad Company - June 23, 2008

Mercenaries 2: World in Flames - August 23, 2008

Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 - November 11, 2008 (Xbox 360), March 23, 2009 (PS3 version)

3 minutes ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

I'm really FREAKING OUT HERE MAN

You're fine as long as you don't add the game to your profile or actually want to play it. Just know that if you do, you may have less time than you realize.

(Also I'm jealous of your profile so you shouldn't sully it with military shooters)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, POEman553 said:

I only bring it up due to the timing of the release dates for all three games and all three using similar older methods/servers for EA Online. EA could be shutting down all games using EA Online soon.

Battlefield Bad Company - June 23, 2008

Mercenaries 2: World in Flames - August 23, 2008

Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 - November 11, 2008 (Xbox 360), March 23, 2009 (PS3 version)

They would announce it already if they really wanted to.

• 3 months later...

The shutdowns for Medal of Honor (2010) & Warfighter also makes the old bad company franchise look in a bad spot. Considering that both franchises were worked on by DICE and use EA as their online services. I can only assume that they will target 1943 sometime soon along with the bad company franchise, starting from oldest to newest. To be honest, this is a good time to speculate due to this common shutdown trend that has been happening within the PS3 community.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, imminent-file5 said:

The shutdowns for Medal of Honor (2010) & Warfighter also makes the old bad company franchise look in a bad spot. Considering that both franchises were worked on by DICE and use EA as their online services. I can only assume that they will target 1943 sometime soon along with the bad company franchise, starting from oldest to newest. To be honest, this is a good time to speculate due to this common shutdown trend that has been happening within the PS3 community.

Will definitely go soon I would think. But thing is with these games they still have a fairly large player base for their age unlike the others which have been dead for years other than trophy hunters. But then again with the rising cost of energy the number probably won't matter, I would think BF games will be the last to go from EA. 

Either EA announces a remaster/remake of at least Bad Company 2 but ideally both games or they need to keep the old games alive until they release a proper Battlefield again. With its current state, even if you don't compare it to the competitor(s) (with comparison it just gets worse), it would be the final nail in the coffin for the Battlefield franchise if they shut down any BF game now. Whoever is in charge of decisions regarding BF at EA should show some common sense and do the right thing for a change, now or never.

i dont think theyll shut down bad company for a while. they still had the ps2 version running a while after ps3 came out. when battlefield 3 came out they greatly reduced server space for bad company including removing the personal webpage of stats  and the popular uk forums. it really killed what was left at the game at the time even for alot of the regulars. matches became more laggy and frozen. its sort of running minimal already compared to what it use to

http://bfbc.statsverse.com/stats/ps3/melodicmizery/

• 3 months later...
7 hours ago, PatinumNumemon said:

At this point what is left for PS3 besides P2P games?

Most populated games on PS3 are those published by EA, Activision (yes, they used to publish lots of good games on PS3 and Xbox 360) and Rockstar. EA and Activision already closed most of their online games leaving only their main franchises while Rockstar closed GTA 5 which was one of most played PS3 games. So now after BF 1943 and BC1/2 shutdown most active games should be the following:

• EA: BF3, BF4 and BF Hardline to some extent. EA also still has NFS Hot Pursuit, NFS Most Wanted and NFS Rivals servers up but I'm not sure people are really still playing those. Maybe Mass Effect 3. I bet their next major shutdown announcement will be related to remaining NFS games.
  • Activision: CoD franchise, some games are in broken state due to online progress issues for new players but servers are still up for all of them. There are few more Activision games that still have servers up but online is completely dead there. With Microsoft/Activision deal approval looking more likely now I wonder how much time is left for CoD on PS3 and Xbox 360 too, most (all?) Halo games are already closed on 360 as far as I know.
  • Rockstar: GTA IV and RDR are still quite active

I also remember seeing lots of lobbies in RE5 while boosting it last time (1 year ago or so) in Mercenaries mode. And that's it I guess...

Not much really. Considering what's left Sony might return to their plans to shutdown PS3 store rather sooner than later especially after recent eShop closure on Wii U and 3DS (last Monday) went almost unnoticed. It was announced 1 year ago and was on the news everywhere back then of course but I barely saw any reminders and farewell news last week, it seemed like no one really cares much except a bunch of Nintendo fans on reddit and some Nintendo-only web sites. At this point boosters and trophy hunters probably make more than a half of active playerbase on PS3.

Edited by KingSkovald
  • Like 2

• 8 months later...
On 3/31/2023 at 8:55 PM, KingSkovald said:
  • Activision: CoD franchise, some games are in broken state due to online progress issues for new players but servers are still up for all of them. There are few more Activision games that still have servers up but online is completely dead there. With Microsoft/Activision deal approval looking more likely now I wonder how much time is left for CoD on PS3 and Xbox 360 too, most (all?) Halo games are already closed on 360 as far as I know

I highly doubt CoD will be going down for a long ass time. There are still people that play the Mutliplayer portions of these games and Activision recently fixed the Backwards Compatibility for all Xbox 360 Games. So trust me, the CoD's will be around for many many years

• Like 1