Here's the name for this genre...

Pneumatic

1 minute ago, enaysoft said:

I think the saddest thing of all, is that it's only who is winning. There will never a winner.

Like a pension/pyramid scheme that everyone is paying into, and knowing full well there won't be a payout at the end.

It's my constant argument of chasing the dragon you'll never catch it.

• Like 1

It used to be a bit of ball busting and poking fun was a way to shape a man into a better version of himself.  Nowadays you gotta coddle everyone and worry about feelings and make everyone feel all fuzzy.  As a result nobody has any backbone people can't take any criticism and often times they fail.  People getting upset about  shovelware games being looked down on is a bit off to me.  It should be a given that people are going to look poorly at that type of effort.  

Edited by steel6burgh

On 10/9/2022 at 1:46 PM, WiktorM101 said:

Of course we care. It's a forum for people to share their achivements in gaming (and specificly to talk about this hobby).

Healthy gatekeeping makes almost every hobby better for everyone involved.

One of the best comments I've seen on here in a long time. Wholeheartedly agree.

On 10/9/2022 at 2:31 PM, Wild-Arms-R said:

Actually we call this having standards, and yes I 100% agree.

It’s not gatekeeping or elitism to want trophy hunting to not become a free for all or pay 2 win system.

Another great comment.

On 10/9/2022 at 3:57 PM, GUDGER666 said:

Tbh it's pointless talking about it anymore, the damage is well and truly done. I been saying the PS3 leaderboard is where it's at but that is just f***ed now with all the CFW users and nothing been done about it, even reports seemingly getting ignored. Just look at the person that's been at the top past week with 4272 hacked games that don't have a single timestamp lol. Something needs to change because it's all just gone to sh*t. 

At this point you might as well just give up on the leaderboards. A proper rarity leaderboard is basically dead in the water, because we basically argued about DLC rarity percentages and all that jazz on here a few years back.

Shouldn't be surprising that trophy hunting is basically in tune with modern social media like TikTok and YouTube shorts. Produce meaningless fluff so stupid 10 - 14 year old kids can enjoy and show to their friends in the classroom. Dopamine hits galore.

On 10/9/2022 at 2:42 PM, AJ_-_808 said:

Maybe the Ratalaika games could be better considered as "healthy gatekeeping", but I think the bigger issue with these is they're not games.

We went from playing games for enjoyment (pre-trophies), to playing games with trophies for extra value, to buying these simply for the trophy count. 

While entertainment is subjective, let's be realistic - there's no entertainment value in these.  It's just straight trophy count, which is fine for your individual profile if that's what you want, but it unfortunately destroyed the already broken competitive aspect of this hobby.  That, and the sheer amount of these plus their stacks have smothered the new game lists.

I don't think labeling these as shameware is going to produce anything positive.

Edit

Besides, at this point, the damage is done. Can't put the genie back in the bottle. The only "fix" would be for Sony to literally delete all those trophy lists from their database. Imagine the blowback from that 

It was destroyed when the system allowed stacks of games and autopops like Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time to be perfectly acceptable. We're talking a decade of stacking at this point, and it's far too late to reverse any of it.

Thankfully @HusKy has made PSNP+ far more convenient and I hope he can add more filters and options to the service in the future.

On 10/9/2022 at 5:33 PM, diskdocx said:

This has sooooooo been done to death. These 'games' suck. They've ruined the leaderboards.

So did Hannah Montana. And kids games in general. Then there were auto popped plats. Then Mayo.

Then we had Rat games and Sometimes You - and shockingly, those now look positively noble in comparison.

But you know what's worse? These threads. Its the same pointless arguments over and over. The games clog the new release list, and these threads clog the forums. And add nothing to improve the situation. Just more toxicity and negativity.

These threads are the real shame. Let's call them ShameThreads. If you've started and/or endorsed one, there's a definite stain on your profile.

You have a hand in it as well. And I'm not afraid to admit that I've started and endorsed a bunch of these threads because the standards have gone downhill.

There is no proper comparison between Hannah Montana and hundreds of these shovelware titles pumped out by the same people week in, week out. You're talking about a trash game from 2009 that was the exception rather than the rule and a bunch of shovelware games that are the equivalent of Steam shovelware. Steam was in fact the first digital gaming store to make shovelware popular, and now every other digital store has the same garbage.

What can improve the situation is if Sony actually does something about it. But we both know they won't, because they don't care. Money is all that matters to Sony.

On 10/9/2022 at 7:21 PM, djb5f said:

Well-stated.

I’ve found those who win at trophy leaderboards lose at life.  And that was long BEFORE EZPZ’s.  It was always an exercise in futility fueled by wasted time and money.

There is a silver lining to the EZPZ craze.  It made some open their eyes and stop the leaderboard silliness.

I guess I was a loser on Runescape back in 2004 - 2005 when I was competing for the leaderboards in that MMO. Spending several hours a day gaming without a care and having no social life, people who do that must be losers right?

You made a quip when I was going for the Rank 50 trophy in Max Payne 3 last year. Different strokes for different folks. Just because you always felt it was an exercise in futility, doesn't mean it is for other people.

I can make the same remarks for sports fanatics who spent hundreds of dollars on Lebron James or Tom Brady merchandise. I'm not going to convince them and neither can you.

On 10/9/2022 at 8:42 PM, KenjiCBZ said:

You know what is also sad? A lot of people gave up on actual Trophy hunting to embrace Trophy popping. When you look at a profile of a Trophy whore with thousands of ezpz Plats, in most cases, you can tell by their earlier milestones that they used to play legit games. Now they no longer do, all they play is jumping shit or something similar.

You've done a bunch of WWE games long after they were unobtainable which means you care more about enjoying the games and earning some trophies along the way.

You may want to be careful about saying 'trophy whore', since that is regarded as offensive to some ears.

On 10/10/2022 at 2:27 AM, DeadDexterous said:

Regardless you'll never please everyone.

But these forums are the equivalent of someone giving all of their best political arguments to someone who is already voting for the same party as them.

Won't solve anything.

Just ignore his point of view if it bothers you that much. You should know by now in your 30s about this from first hand experience.

16 hours ago, BlueDragonZero said:

I know these topics pop up every week but as I only recently signed up I haven't expressed my opinion. Also I'm pretty bad with expressing my thoughts into words so this may be a bit of a mess and I'm sure I've missed some sort of context somewhere. but here goes. 

Let's face it, this specific type of shovelware is shit. They are designed to exploit the trophy system to its lowest common denominator as well as barely meeting the requirement to actually be called a game. It’s incredibly sad that they are actually a thing. 

I get why people would be upset with them as they devalue the system as a whole but the reality is the only way these games are going to stop being made is if somehow everyone agrees to stop buying and playing these games or if Sony steps in. Neither of which seem likely to happen. Sure there are thing's this site and others could do but at this point it would mostly be no more then a 'delaying' tactic. 

Saying that though, they are the inevitable conclusion when the system they are exploiting is as flawed as the trophy system. The system itself is based on this vague concept of ‘more is better’ with the slight caveat of more ‘platinum's is also better’. Which is why this site leaderboards and most others use the points system that they do as its the easiest. Tbf While there was an attempt to have it differentiate itself from a simple pure number system with the different types of trophies(bronze, silver, gold) without any sort of 'quality control’ they too have become essentially pointless(lol pun) as well. 

So between these games, system/region stacking, autopoping, team accounts, no effective way to differentiate between individual trophies, Sony not caring and whatever else I've missed are going to make it almost impossible to have any sort of ‘competitiveness’ to trophies other than time. 

So no these games haven’t ruined trophy hunting as it’s a largely pointless term to express any sort of objective value to begin with. What they have done is ruin your perception of what trophy hunting is. Ultimately whether or not you think a trophy list is impressive or not will come down to you and you alone. 

Not everyone enjoys collecting trophies for the same reasons. 

So if people want to play these games as they get some sort of enjoyment out of it. Let them. 

If you see a list with them then on. Ignore it. 

Expressing an opinion is one thing but to those that are actively attacking and condemning people for it. Your actions say way more about you as a person then anything a few shitty games say and I will judge you way more negatively than them even if you somehow had the objectively greatest trophy list of all time. Not that my opinion actually matters.

Every single week a thread like this pops up and the moderators sit on the fence on whether to lock it or let it continue. Three out of four times, threads like this get locked because nobody can agree to disagree.

We've gone political, even on something as trivial as trophies. But I see this everywhere, not just on here but in the society we live in now. We continue to be divided over the most trivial of things and we wonder why we don't accomplish anything.

It's like how most Star Wars communities are now. There's a constant fight between the older people who continue to stick to the classic Stars Wars trilogy and those who prefer the prequel films. And with how Disney has handled Star Wars, it's now a constant battle.

I hear responses like this, and I have to say yours is well thought out, eloquent, sophisticated and well written. But every time I say that these games have ruined the PS Store, or that more normal trophy hunters are getting pushed out by those who play these shovelware titles, I get called out and told I'm a hater by those who indulge in these games.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 4

@enaysoft you do realise the way you just spoke about me, like I’m some sort of leper is hurtful? 

Believe me, I’m sick to death of having this argument. I came to this site because I have this hobby as well and I wanted to find some friends to share that with. 99% of the people I have come across have been horrible, demeaning, derogatory towards me. All because I play some cheap games. 

I have said from the beginning, I enjoy Ratalaika games. They’re fun and the majority of them are not demanding. I was told I’m wrong and I’m playing them for the leaderboard etc. All people have done is tell me why I play these games and those reasons are not true.

if I was chasing a leaderboard I would be buying up every single ezpz on multiple regions. But if you look closer at my profile you would see that is not happening. 

I want the platinum level on my profile. That is my personal goal. Even if I wasn’t dealing with the circumstances I am in life, it would never be achievable without those games. Just because my personal goal is different to yours doesn’t mean I’m any less of a gamer. It doesn’t mean all of the hate that is thrown my way is warranted. 

People tell me I don’t enjoy those games. Yeah sometimes I wish I had time to play other things. But sometimes my circumstances don’t allow. What I do enjoy is getting closer to my personal goal which these games facilitate. They take my mind off hospitals and illness and other crap I’m dealing with and they let me escape. 

I’m sick of being told why I play them. I’m sick of receiving so much animosity and hate because I do things differently to others. I’ll be honest, this year with everything that is going on and coming here to make some friends and constantly being hated on made me feel really low. Because I haven’t done anything. I’m not a horrible person, I haven’t been mean to anyone who hasn’t attacked me first. I’ve never wanted people’s admiration or to impress anybody with my profile. All I wanted was to be respected, treated like everybody else and not like a second class human because of what I choose to play. 

But it’s very clear im not going to get that here. Which is fine. I don’t want friends who are judgemental and look down their nose at other people. I’ve made some awesome friends from here that have taken the time to get to know me, that don’t judge me for what I play and can see im still a human being regardless of what I spend my time and energy playing and they treat me with respect. And that makes up for all the tossers who try to make me feel shit here every day. 

So crack on knobheads. If you get your kicks making people feel bad, belittling people and judging them congrats. I’ve realised there will never be any getting through to you, none of you will ever treat me with respect here. I no longer care. I don’t need arrogant people on their High horses in my life. I just wish this site wasn’t absolutely full of you because I would like to use this site as well without being constantly attacked all the time. 

• Like 3

Guys guys… im gonna go and play an EZPZ platinum. Im gonna go spend hundreds of pounds on them. Im gonna shoot up the leaderboard and leave you all behind with your tiny, insignificant profiles that no one will ever click on because you’re lost on the leaderboards. 

Would you rather me be like that? Would you like to be attacked for your profile and someone trying to make you feel like shit every day and belittle everything you do? Be constantly judged. It can be arranged. Maybe the ‘trophy whores’ should make a stand and start throwing shit at all you guys so you can’t use the site without confrontation and hate. See how you like it. See how tiring it is.

Or maybe just leave people alone. It would be a happier place! 

• Like 3

I like the term Shameware, honestly. At this point these games have debased the hobby so much that I think it is pointless to shame those users though, since the damage has been done and Sony won't do anything about it. I just don't interact with those users, since segregation seems like the only reasonable course of action.

Edited by Iker_01

Just now, Iker_01 said:

I like the term Shameware, honestly.

It's easy to shame the users -- but we need to be shaming Sony and holding them accountable. We can always expect the lowest common denominator to capitalize on effortless initiatives -- but they wouldn't have the opportunity if Sony curated their storefront more. 

11 minutes ago, tonkie18 said:

I want the platinum level on my profile. That is my personal goal. Even if I wasn’t dealing with the circumstances I am in life, it would never be achievable without those games. Just because my personal goal is different to yours doesn’t mean I’m any less of a gamer. It doesn’t mean all of the hate that is thrown my way is warranted. 

People tell me I don’t enjoy those games. Yeah sometimes I wish I had time to play other things. But sometimes my circumstances don’t allow. What I do enjoy is getting closer to my personal goal which these games facilitate. They take my mind off hospitals and illness and other crap I’m dealing with and they let me escape. 

Hey Tonkie.

I know what you mean - I want that platinum status on my account too, and I think we talked about it before, but my personal circumstances are not so far removed from your own.

You're not wrong - reaching that platinum status without easier / quicker games is a pretty tough road to hoe, though I will say - there are actually a pretty healthy strain of relatively quick, easy-breezy games out there that offer much more in the way of true distraction and fun than the most barren ones this thread is referencing. 

(I'm not talking about Ratalaika ones, as I quite like most of those I've played, and don't think they fall in that category - they're easy to plat, but usually also fun to play and made with care despite lower budgets, so not at all worthless from an artistic point of view. I mean the more exploitative ones - the "X Run" / "Stroke the X" / "Jumping X" / "Mayo" ones)

Give me a shout sometime if your looking for some - I can certainly recommend some awesome games that won't make your socks roll up and down in terms of difficulty, but are totally fun and interesting - I'd bet dollars to doughnuts I can find some you'd love among them!

• Like 1

I don't really care about trophies in a competitive sense, the system's far too broken for that.

I just play and complete whatever I feel like - long or short, hard or easy, it doesn't matter. And everyone else can do as they please too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JTR_Asuka_ said:

I just play and complete whatever I feel like - long or short, hard or easy, it doesn't matter. And everyone else can do as they please too.

I've long said you only need to play what you like -- so long as you're engaging games that you actually like. 

No one is going to revisit these games once they get the platinum. It's just a number to them. There are many excellent easy games I adore (such as Okami) -- but I still return to them. These people uninstall the games the moment they've gotten the platinum. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Hey Tonkie.

I know what you mean - I want that platinum status on my account too, and I think we talked about it before, but my personal circumstances are not so far removed from your own.

You're not wrong - reaching that platinum status without easier / quicker games is a pretty tough road to hoe, though I will say - there are actually a pretty healthy strain of relatively quick, easy-breezy games out there that offer much more in the way of true distraction and fun than the most barren ones this thread is referencing. 

(I'm not talking about Ratalaika ones, as I quite like most of those I've played, and don't think they fall in that category - they're easy to plat, but usually also fun to play and made with care despite lower budgets, so not at all worthless from an artistic point of view. I mean the more exploitative ones - the "X Run" / "Stroke the X" / "Jumping X" / "Mayo" ones)

Give me a shout sometime if your looking for some - I can certainly recommend some awesome games that won't make your socks roll up and down in terms of difficulty, but are totally fun and interesting - I'd bet dollars to doughnuts I can find some you'd love among them!

Thanks @DrBloodmoney definitely give me some recommendations. Anything I can play on remote play or on my vita is a bonus. I usually just pick up whatever is on sale. 

Id never have a chance playing bigger games to get there. I like indie games but there’s so many and i don’t know what ones are good/won’t take forever. Also happy to play stuff without a platinum ??

The abundance of shovelware also has something good: Some top ten trophy hunters from Germany have given up chasing the leaderboard due to the abundance of shovelware games and the associated deflation of the value of trophies and play real games instead, eg Kekuit and jasminsch. It won't be the last and eventually the many Shovelware games might eat themselves.

Because they overdid it with the amount of games they release.

Edited by Sikutai
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, tonkie18 said:

I have said from the beginning, I enjoy Ratalaika games. They’re fun and the majority of them are not demanding. I was told I’m wrong and I’m playing them for the leaderboard etc. All people have done is tell me why I play these games and those reasons are not true.

The "problem" with Ratalaika games was that they made a mockery of trophy lists where for the vast majority, you don't even need to finish the game, which (in my opinion) is just wrong.  At least they're still games though, compared to press X 100 times for platinum titles.

Add on 5-10 stacks and multiple quick releases and the issue at hand is compounded exponentially. For the record, I'm against stacks and auto-pops, but that's just me.

By the way, (and this is an open question) have you ever wondered about the people complaining about their leaderboard progress?  The vast majority of them will never be at the top, so who cares?  Sure, sometimes it's amusing to monitor your ascent (or descent), but in the bigger picture, there's usually several thousand people ahead of you in the rat race to... nowhere.

8 minutes ago, tonkie18 said:

definitely give me some recommendations.

Telltale games?

@DrBloodmoney that’s awesome thanks! I’m copying it into my notes. I’ve done a few from the list. Really enjoyed life is strange - waiting for true colours to come down in price. I also really enjoyed the walking dead games, ive still got a couple to complete. Ive just played concrete genie that was good. And I just picked up Lara Croft Go in the sale.

Im still working on my backlog so trying to chip those bigger games off when I can. But it’s always handy to have something easy on the go for when I can’t get to the console.

Once ive got through more of the backlog I was thinking of upgrading my PSplus account. Would some of these games be on there do you know? 

But 36 fragments and inksplosion took me a year to complete ? I was so bad at those and spent way too long on them ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonkie18 said:

@enaysoft you do realise the way you just spoke about me, like I’m some sort of leper is hurtful? 

I can assure you I said nothing about any skin diseases. If we're clutching at straws I can admit I almost referred to you as a summon materia. That's my bad.

1 hour ago, tonkie18 said:

Or maybe just leave people alone. It would be a happier place!

This thread?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tonkie18 said:

@DrBloodmoney that’s awesome thanks! I’m copying it into my notes. I’ve done a few from the list. Really enjoyed life is strange - waiting for true colours to come down in price. I also really enjoyed the walking dead games, ive still got a couple to complete. Ive just played concrete genie that was good. And I just picked up Lara Croft Go in the sale.

Im still working on my backlog so trying to chip those bigger games off when I can. But it’s always handy to have something easy on the go for when I can’t get to the console.

Once ive got through more of the backlog I was thinking of upgrading my PSplus account. Would some of these games be on there do you know? 

Hmmm - I'm not super well versed in what's in that catalogue, however, I did upgrade to PS+ Extra, and have actually found it not to be super useful for me - specifically because a lot of the stuff on it I already have... so that probably suggests at least some of them will be! ?

Hello,

I have my point of view about those games and I think everybody can do whatever they want with their time and money. But I would really want to know what pushes people to buy those games?

Please, can someone explain to me what is the point of spending 3 or even 1.5 EUR/USD/GBP for a platinum trophy on each version of each region of each of these games? Man, all combined, it is a lot of money!

I read here some people saying they do not care about people visiting their profile but it looks like they actually care because I can hardly imagine someone p(l)aying the same game in each region just for fun. A game without gameplay cannot be fun. Getting platinums for each region of each version can only be in order to have as many plats as possible to impress your profile visitors because can someone really get some self satisfaction of achieving such games?

I think gaming is playing and enjoying the games you want to play and trophy hunting is getting the trophies from those games. Maybe finishing and plat disappointing games anyway.

Can those games be called gaming? it is only trophies for trophies without pleasure, just to get more plats than the guy next to you, regardless if that guy next to you cares. It became a pointless competition.

There is here no offense for anyone, I would just want to understand.

Thanks,

• Like 4

Hmm, interesting thread so far.

What im really interested in is, what do peolpe "get out" from playing this kind of shitware? Like @tonkie18 said, she for herself wants to reach Platinum rank. What about @DeadDexterous? Havent caught that yet.

Because i can only share my viewpoint on this: I think trophies were introduced as a means to "master" a game.It's not just about finishing a game, but experiencing a game in its entirety.

And trophies reflect this accomplishment, to give a sense of completion. And i treat earning trophies mostly in this way. Yeah, i do have some ezpz games and this shitty Tokyo Run Plat, and i feel bad. Shame on me ;)

And since we are on a site which enables us to compare ourselfs to other players, who share our hobby, this becomes somewhat meaningful.

I think the hate, if we can call it that, is that some people tend to disregard the original aspect and are going for simply trophy popping, like @KenjiCBZ rightfully mentioned. There is no effort in pressing X for Jumping Taco, Mayo and The Giraffe G. And the thing is, that these people think their profile is worth anything with their 4848403894 Platinums, which are stacks of the same games. Sorry, but the moment i see that a player got ~180 Platinums in September, and only 1! is a AAA (or at least AA) game, then their rank has absolutely no meaning for me.

And the thing is, even the shameware-consoomers are mindful of their "acomplishments" because if it was only for their own personal satisfaction, they could hide all their games and just pop their 3 minute games without enganging on a site like psnprofiles. But here we are.

There will always be backlash from overplaying shameware titles because it distracts from the original idea of trophy hunting, and many players started doing it for this very reason

/rant end

Edited by WreckItPhil
  • Like 2