Here's the name for this genre...

Pneumatic

Quick tip for those that were hoping for discussion rather than forum drama: If you notice a trend of the same users repeatedly antagonizing the group of people the discussion is actually aimed at - in order to get the thread locked - you are allowed to report them.

See the post above from one of our mods:

This would be my suggestion for the future: Report posts as the trolling, abuse, derailing, etc begins. Not when it gets out of hand.

If you start reporting trolls, instead of feeding them, there's a chance threads like these may survive.

22 minutes ago, mega-tallica said:

Can we just preemptively ban all threads regarding these games? Nip the problem right in the bud. Not necessary to have threads regarding such trivial games to begin with and they're just used by users as an excuse to create a shit show and argue with others. Every single one dissolves into the same bullshit. 

I'm all for healthy debate if it's productive, but this is not productive clearly. 

Mods used to do that, until we got complaints that we weren't allowing people to voice their opinions. When we do leave them up, then they usually descent into the arguments you see here.

We can't win either way.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stevieboy said:

Mods used to do that, until we got complaints that we weren't allowing people to voice their opinions. When we do leave them up, then they usually descent into the arguments you see here.

We can't win either way.

Flatout insulting or shaming people for their game choices is a nice expression of voicing an opinion. Cause that's what these threads turn to, pointing fingers and framing people. Absolutely no need for threads like these.

Is there not a way for moderators to block certain individuals from commenting for say 24hrs instead of closing the entire thread? Maybe give a warning then bring down the hammer? There are still some adults on here who can debate without talking about genitals and it’s nonsense that threads get closed. Blanket censorship of the entire community because one person gets triggered? 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Stevieboy said:

We can't win either way.

It would be nice if warning points were given out, with some sort of meaning. 

SOME people can write insults, and call people names, without restrictions, while others get warnings just for stating facts ;)

Must be nice to have boobs ?

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Thrillhelm said:

Flatout insulting or shaming people for their game choices is a nice expression of voicing an opinion. Cause that's what these threads turn to, pointing fingers and framing people. Absolutely no need for threads like these.

Yes, and especially when it comes to your own playing style, which is the focus of the discussion.

Looking at the beginning of this threat its not the "shameware-haters" fault for the course of the discussion.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thrillhelm said:

I agree. We used to lock the threads immediately and link to a single thread that was dedicated to discussing these types of games, but nobody posted in it. They instead complained that the mods were over-reacting for locking the threads as soon as they were posted. Basically, they were only looking to post memes and jokes and start arguments with people that defended the games.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stevieboy said:

I agree. We used to lock the threads immediately and link to a single thread that was dedicated to discussing these types of games, but nobody posted in it. They instead complained that the mods were over-reacting for locking the threads as soon as they were posted. Basically, they were only looking to post memes and jokes and start arguments with people that defended the games.

A lot of the threads on this subject are like that - but they don't always start that way.

Plenty of folks in here were having a perfectly civil discussion....

...the problem is, there is a "cliff-edge" mentality that has resulted from the quick-fire locking of threads in the past.

Now, as soon as anyone goes nuclear, or any two people look like they're about to have a square go, the assumption on everyone else's part, is that the thread is done - so no one even tries to get it back on track.

Instead, they all either dogpile onto one side or the other, clutch their skirts and shout for a Mod, start kicking rocks and posting "Aw Shucks, this is why we can't have nice things" posts, or just comment about the state of the comments, and the site at large.

We could all just ignore the barmy, and carry on the conversation...

...but that never seems to happen ?

11 minutes ago, WreckItPhil said:

Yes, and especially when it comes to your own playing style, which is the focus of the discussion.

Looking at the beginning of this threat its not the "shameware-haters" fault for the course of the discussion.

The thread got derailed long ago, because it always boils down to a base discussion where people complain about this kind of games and start pointing fingers. In no sane community you want to push toxic behaviour.

Banning people for 24h will result in them returning, including the complaints about censorship when their posts got deleted.

I dont care if people like to destroy their trophy collection with those games. I only look on myself (seeing my trophylist like a diary of my gaming history) and have fun PLAYING. Spenden money for trophys is just hillarious but if people feel better with it. Who cares?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stevieboy said:

We can't win either way.

You'll always get people complaining no matter what (this whole thread is just people complaining) but for the betterment of the community and these forums, I think most people would applaud if these threads were banned from the start. 

And if people complain, let 'em. They'll get over it eventually. I'd imagine it's likely the people complaining about not being able to voice their opinion are the same people that use these threads for what they inevitably get used for. Everybody has already long ago thrown their opinion in the ring regarding these games, as far as I'm concerned, everybody has had their chance to freely voice their opinions and they squandered that opportunity by turning every thread into a shit show over these opinions. It really doesn't take much at all to set the powder keg off, people are just looking for that spark nowadays and these threads are it for this little niche of a community. 

18 minutes ago, GraniteBeast603 said:

Why would Sony disallow these games? Exactly what incentive do they have to deny themselves revenue? they've done what's required of them. They implemented the trophy system, they assigned point values, they keep track of your score.

Why in the world would you expect them to intervene in the market in a way that reduces their revenue, just so your collection of internet points has more "integrity"

Sony should "get rid" of those games cause this shameware is literally flooding psn store.

yes, i know you could say: "allright as long as we get our profit, why should we care about our store being full of that crap? We get our money anyway." 

Well the Problem is at some point people will lose interesst in the store or only look out for well known triple A games. There are already people pointing out they are not looking for Indie titles anymore. 

But for some people here.... you know... shovelware games are not different to... lets say assassins creed 2!! In both games you are getting trophies for Pressing some Buttons. So it doesnt need to be fixed! Am I right?

Edited by Alex_Gorbatschow

3 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Completely unrelated, but also related.

This thread got made about 48 hours ago, there's been about 30 "game" releases since then.

...and guess what?

I didn't know that!

I likely wouldn't ever have known it, either - if you didn't tell me... and nor would most folks.

After all, the front page of this site is pretty much the only place left where you can find them.

The PSN store hides them pretty well - or at least buries them deeper in the "new releases" section, they don't feature in any "if you like this" recommendations, they don't feature in the deals, nor the "recommended" sections, nor the "Spotlight" sections.

They aren't advertised, they don't show up on review sites or in gaming podcasts, or in any kind of consumer marketing or industry news (aside from the odd complaint about the prevalence of them.)

Theo only place most people on this site even hear about them.... is in these threads complaining about them!

(...or via one man's seemingly Quixotic quest to put every single one in the Most Recent Platinum Thread ? ?)

These games are just the White Noise of games now.

As much as I find them just as silly and asinine as you do...

...they are astonishingly easy to ignore.

You just have to not seek them out. :dunno:

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DeadDexterous said:

Your 'about me' says 'Trophy Hunter' yet you have over 20000 unearned trophies.

A large number of your Platinums are by Ratalaika games.

Yet your calling other people's trophy collections destroyed.

It's insanity.

I'm out !

From over 220 platinum games 5 or so are ratalaika games and for Those you actualy hat to PLAY and they where fun. You did not pay only for a Platin. And what does unerned trophys say about someone being a trophy hunter or not. I played over 1000 games and earned over 17000 trophys. So yes i am a trophy hunter in MY opinion. I dont care what people like you say that only purpose is to Flame other people while only playing those 1 minute platin games. You must have some Real problems dude. Maybe you just only realized you wasted a whole bunch of money for Tons of those "games". 

Edited by ThaRular

1 hour ago, Stevieboy said:

We can't win either way.

There are people in this thread who come in to turn it into a shit show and I can assure you it's obvious who it is. If you could moderate people for baiting conflict instead of either letting the threads devolve into madness or shutting them down preemptively that would likely be the win for you and us

We can't win either way.

Mobile messed up, unintended double quote

Edited by Deadly_Ha_Ha
  • Like 3

I don't know why it bothers people so much. Personally I think these "games" are ridiculous, and they stain any profiles they appear on. But that doesn't affect me or my profile, I'll never buy any of them and I can have fun playing actual games. The same should apply to anybody else here who doesn't like them, they aren't ruining your own experience, so try not to let it bother you. Focus on enjoying real games and building your collection.

The one thing it does ruin is the New Games section on PSNP and to a lesser extent the New Games on the PS Store as well. If you enjoy indie games and frequently browse the new releases I can see why it'd be annoying, but that probably doesn't apply to the majority here.

That being said, some of the shovelware spammers in here are being ridiculously defensive, you clicked on this post knowing exactly what it'll be.

Edited by disaster500
  • Like 2

We can't win either way.

Hmm in this case, I kinda disagree, you didn't lock this thread, well done to you. And look what happened?

All the people who were being overtly antagonistic / irate have mostly stopped posting and now the thread has calmed down, back to how it was the first 24 hours. That seems like a win to me.

Whether this thread stays open or not, either way of course it is kinda pointless and a waste of time in all honesty.

However, that's not to say we're having a chat, a banter, a debate with random people on this site, even if nothing comes out of it at least we're having fun engaging with each other. This is of course a website about trophies, and trophies it is we are indeed talking about.

From herein, stopping this kind of banter is likely as impossible as stopping all the "games" flooding is. They're like the yin and yang, opposites ends of the shit.

I think we all probably need to accept both aren't going away. Well, it's all on Sony really.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 3