Here's the name for this genre...

Pneumatic

10 minutes ago, FebuKev said:

Hello,

I have my point of view about those games and I think everybody can do whatever they want with their time and money. But I would really want to know what pushes people to buy those games?

Please, can someone explain to me what is the point of spending 3 or even 1.5 EUR/USD/GBP for a platinum trophy on each version of each region of each of these games? Man, all combined, it is a lot of money!

I read here some people saying they do not care about people visiting their profile but it looks like they actually care because I can hardly imagine someone p(l)aying the same game in each region just for fun. A game without gameplay cannot be fun. Getting platinums for each region of each version can only be in order to have as many plats as possible to impress your profile visitors because can someone really get some self satisfaction of achieving such games?

I think gaming is playing and enjoying the games you want to play and trophy hunting is getting the trophies from those games. Maybe finishing and plat disappointing games anyway.

Can those games be called gaming? it is only trophies for trophies without pleasure, just to get more plats than the guy next to you, regardless if that guy next to you cares. It became a pointless competition.

There is here no offense for anyone, I would just want to understand.

Thanks,

I agree, but I think to be honest, I think the mentality is more about seeing the trophy system itself to be the "Game" rather than seeing trophies as a by-product of individual games played in pursuit of it.

You see some of the discussion among very high-level, Leaderboard-minded folks, and they will refer to "The Meta" - i.e. the "gamification" of the leaderboard itself.

Those folks are generally more attuned to the metacontextual elements of Leaderboard position-chasing as its own discrete element, and that element being defining factor of their play, than any individual game feeding that Meta, if that makes sense?

I don't see that as particularly healthy - either for the individual, or for the hobby or the industry - but equally, I don't really see it as being in the same category to those of us who just like gaming, and see trophies as a nice bonus side-effect of that.

It's two different sports, for lack of a better metaphor - and while I'd always encourage folks to engage with the one I love ("gaming-forward", rather than "Leaderboard-forward"), and would always caution folks thinking of "switching" or "slipping" from one into the other,  I do think trying to apply "our" rules and standards, to "their" game is a fools errand.

The two different sports have diverged too far from one-another at this point for that Venn-Diagram to be shoved back together!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

Yeah these numbers are so meaningless that people rant about how people achieved those numbers. 

What is the point of this thread? Dishearten those who buy cheap and fast/easy platinum games to plain the playfield? Even without those games 80% or more of the top 1000 in the ranks would be filled with the same people on top.

I am also glad that the mods don't encourage trophy shaming, because if people say we don't need EZPZ plats then I guess we need bullies and harassers far less in a community.

Edited by Thrillhelm
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, WreckItPhil said:

[...]the moment i see that a player got ~180 Platinums in September, and only 1! is a AAA (or at least AA) game, then their rank as absolutely no meaning for me.

You had me right up to this point....

...but I guess I fall off when it gets to "AAA" games being the good ones!

I could probably count on two hands the number of "AAA" games I've played in the past few years...

...and could count on one hand how many were actually good - or at least, better than the Indie / Small scope / B-Games! ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

You had me right up to this point....

...but I guess I fall off when it gets to "AAA" games being the good ones!

I could probably count on two hands the number of "AAA" games I've played in the past few years...

...and could count on one hand how many were actually good - or at least, better than the Indie / Small scope / B-Games! 1f602.png

You are right, there are very good indie games out there, and their time to plat is considerably short. I should rephrase it: when there is 1 Plat out of  ~180 which isnt a sub-10 minutes plats with multiple stacks.

Edited by WreckItPhil
  • Like 2

I find it really hard to grasp why people get so het up on what I choose to play cause I couldn’t care less what they are doing on their profile. I find it harder fathoming why there are so many pigheaded, obstinate people who TELL me why I play them. I’m addicted. I’m chasing a leaderboard. I’m trying to get more plats than the guy next to me. When I have said time and time again none of those reasons are true. I couldn’t care less where I place on that board. If I did I would play so many more of them. I’m not addicted. If I did I would play all the ones in my collection as fast as possible. Some days I don’t earn a trophy and I don’t have a meltdown about it I don’t care. If I have a lot of time I’ll play my bigger games. If time is difficult to find and I’m bored I will play something that jumps on remote play so I feel like I’m making progress towards MY PERSONAL GOAL and it takes my mind off what’s going on at home. 

Some people are chasing the leaderboard.

Some people only go for ultra rares

Some people won’t play a game without a platinum

We are all different. We all have choices. I’m sick of being berated for mine. I don’t go round judging anybody else. I don’t go round thinking I’m better or above anybody else. I don’t go round trying to change people’s minds or shame them for what they play. It used to upset me people constantly harassing me about it. I couldn’t care less now. The trophy shamers aren’t nice people. Nice people don’t go out their way to make others feel bad about themselves. 

• Like 1

I wont knock anyone who plays these games because it is personal preference, who are we to tell each other what games we should/shouldn't play? 
I will say however it does put a dampener on things every time I open up psnprofiles and look at the homepage and see 9 out of 10 places on the new games tab taken up with shovelware. I used to like booting psnp up and seeing new releases and hidden indie gems, but now sometimes I can't distinguish whether an indie game is real or if its one of these easy games. Maybe if they had their own section we could see the games that really deserve attention.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KenjiCBZ said:

@AJ_Radio It's true, I love collection the Trophies along the way of playing games I like: whether some are unobtainable or I can't get them is not a big issue.

I call them Trophy whores because that's what they are: the whole "my money my choice", "let people play what they want" etc. are just bullshit. These people are addicted to Trophies: getting a meaningless number higher and higher without a real content is not an hobby, it's an addiction. They have crossed the line. Whoever claims to have fun doing so, well, it's not true, he is just in denial with himself. After all, the only person I saw who owned he was addicted and he was happy of having quit was @Camokidd87, he should be admired for that. I hope one day trophy whores will realize they are addicted and will hopefully quit. There is no fun or any kind of advantage in increasing your trophy number with no meaning in it: no one gets advantage from that. You don't get it and we also don't get it since these trash games have ruined this site and maybe also trophy hunting as a whole. The only people taking advantage from that are the devs who are literally capitalising on someone's addiction.

@Unknown_v2_0 was a guy whom I talked to on several occasions. Even wanted me to provide my commentary for a video, but due to bad internet at the time I declined. Last I checked he made a few more recent videos, but he's no longer active.

Reached rank #5 as far as I'm aware of on the leaderboards here. Quit in October of 2020. Almost two full years ago. If he felt the burnout and decided it was no longer worth it, then it can happen to anyone.

Now he's not even in the top 100 anymore despite having over 76,000 trophies to his profile.

I feel like I have to repeat myself for some people here because as I've said numerous times in the past, people can play whatever they want to play. Doesn't matter to me, because I couldn't care less at the end of the day. However, making a honest critique of the hobby I enjoy is liable to get me hate comments from people who indulge in these shovelware titles. Getting all offended about my opinion or anyone else's who doesn't like these throwaway titles entering the store solves nothing.

The devs are the only ones winning here, because frankly, they just earned a few extra bucks.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, WreckItPhil said:

Because i can only share my viewpoint on this: I think trophies were introduced as a means to "master" a game.It's not just about finishing a game, but experiencing a game in its entirety.

And trophies reflect this accomplishment, to give a sense of completion. And i treat earning trophies mostly in this way

Amen.

Every trophy lists should lead you to explore the entire game and do everything it can offer regardless the difficulty you choose or the time you spend on.

When I plat or 100% a game, I feel like I have done everything and can start another game.

Well, at least, most EZPZ games have such trophy lists that require to explore the entire game...

25 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

You see some of the discussion among very high-level, Leaderboard-minded folks, and they will refer to "The Meta" - i.e. the "gamification" of the leaderboard itself.

Those folks are generally more attuned to the metacontextual elements of Leaderboard position-chasing as its own discrete element, and that element being defining factor of their play, than any individual game feeding that Meta, if that makes sense?

Some people give way too much importance to the leaderboard. They ruin the experience of playing some great games just to rush them and appear on the top of the leaderboard like it is some kind of world record. I am not sure their names will be known forever for that or people would speak about how they were the fastest player to plat God of War at their funeral eulogy.

4 minutes ago, DeadDexterous said:

Initially, I was caught up in easy platinums on YouTube. I hadn't played playstation in years.

I came back 3 years ago & the store was a very different place.

I jumped in and got started. If you take the time to look through my trophies you'll see I've played played everything from Slyde to Friday the 13th. Even a couple hundred 100% games with no platinum. Whatever I play I try to get 100%.

What keeps me doing it? Well when my son (Age 10) gets home from school the first thing he asks me is "How many platinums have you done today?" This is every day.

If I haven't done a platinum he says "Come on Dad your the platinumer do some platinums".

You might not like the excuse but being a 'Cool Dad' is my only real aim here.

I don't let him play these games, I've explained to him that most of them aren't good and that one day he can just have my account. That way he can play what he wants for the fun of it which will hopefully lead him to play games purely for enjoyment not trophies. Which he does now on games like GOW.

When I went to my sisters recently my nephews friend (A teenager) I'd never met said "Wow is this the Uncle with the thousand platinums" and I explained how most of them are easy, not worth playing and how the store is annoying alot of people.

So you might laugh, but I am educating the people who need to know the reality of what I am doing in terms of trophies. If someone finds what I am doing impressive I tell them how it's done so they can judge again as to whether it's actually impressive.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

And i dont laugh about it. I may not share your opinion, but i can accept it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DeadDexterous said:

What keeps me doing it? Well when my son (Age 10) gets home from school the first thing he asks me is "How many platinums have you done today?" This is every day.

If I haven't done a platinum he says "Come on Dad your the platinumer do some platinums".

You might not like the excuse but being a 'Cool Dad' is my only real aim here.

I don't let him play these games, I've explained to him that most of them aren't good and that one day he can just have my account. That way he can play what he wants for the fun of it which will hopefully lead him to play games purely for enjoyment not trophies. Which he does now on games like GOW.

When I went to my sisters recently my nephews friend (A teenager) I'd never met said "Wow is this the Uncle with the thousand platinums" and I explained how most of them are easy, not worth playing and how the store is annoying alot of people.

I'm not being a douchebag here I promise (that's not me,) - this is genuine:

do you have a plan for what happens when he comes on this site?

I'm asking because at 10, and being into trophies - at least to the extent that he asks about them - there is a not inconsiderable chance that he himself will be earning some himself before long (if he isn't already,)... and with PSNP being easily the most prevalent of the Trophy Sites at the moment (and having been for a good long while now), it's reasonable to assume he may well venture into these forums in the not too distant future.

Given some of the more vitriolic discourse that can happen on here - particularly in this area - and with your PSNID easily available, I could imagine this necessitating a rather quick and frank discussion about the internet at large, and the nature of semi-anonymous "discussion" - particularly if/when he stumbles across some of the fruitier posts that have been levelled in your direction. ?

I'm not sure if I've ever replied to one of these threads yet? I don't think I have? Perhaps I'm wrong? I do read them a lot though. A lot of interesting comments and feedback.

I used to play and stack these "ezpz shovelware" games. Do I regret it? Very much so. Hell, one of those little shit games even got me removed from the leaderboards because I messed up the Vita trick and it threw my time stamp off, lol! But I haven't played/platinumed one in damn near a year and have no plans to ever again.

However, I did get fooled a little and bought 2 stacks of Space Explorers: Lunar Missions a couple weeks ago. This game is basically shovelware as well and one of those ridiculously easy and fast games to platinum. When I said "fooled" I meant that I bought these games under the impression that they were educational and would have a bit more meat and potatoes to them. Yup, dead wrong. Sucks because I'm an absolute NERD when it comes to anything having to do with our solar system and outer space.

Edited by MrTacoNinja

3 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

[...] 

I'm gonna add Minute Of Islands to this list, and I will second the recommendations for The Longest Road On Earth, Road 96 and the Life Is Strange series

10 minutes ago, tonkie18 said:

@Dauersack I barely come on this site because of the shit that is thrown at me. I didn’t enter this thread my name was thrown about like it usually is.

I’m either asked why I play these games or told why I play these games. If I give my explanation it’s attention seeking ?Ok then. 

I don’t want pity or fucking sympathy. Some people get a shitty hand in life and im dealing with it. And if I choose to deal with it by escaping and playing something that jumps I will. What im sick of is everyone assuming, everyone shaming me because of it when it’s literally nothing to do with anyone what I play or why I play them. 

Can’t live without the attention ? yeah ok. I’m an extremely shy, under confident introvert with a social anxiety disorder. I am not on any socials, I go out of my way to not get attention in life. Defending myself against arrogant arseholes is not the same as attention seeking. Describing my home life is not attention seeking. They are facts. I did not know we weren’t allowed to disclose facts about our personal life. My bad. 

I'm just throwing my 2 cents in here, but you shouldn't have to explain yourself to anyone. We all play whatever games we choose, and people don't know what we all deal with on a day-to-day basis. As an introvert myself, who has social anxiety and depression as well, along with the added social pressure of being transgender, I completely understand your feelings and point of view that you've explained in this thread. If you want to play games like that, go ahead. Only the arseholes will judge you for it. We don't know what's going on in people's lives, so living your life how you wish to, and how you deal with things is entirely valid. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Darling Baphomet said:

18 hours ago, BlueDragonZero said:

So no these games haven’t ruined trophy hunting as it’s a largely pointless term to express any sort of objective value to begin with. What they have done is ruin your perception of what trophy hunting is. Ultimately whether or not you think a trophy list is impressive or not will come down to you and you alone. 

Not everyone enjoys collecting trophies for the same reasons. 

Yeah, tell that to my team of 5 people from the August 2020 tag team event who spent a month playing hard games just to get beaten by teams carried by a single shovelware spammer. I see no point in trying to reduce "trophy hunting" into some abstract drivel detached from the experiences of actual people in the trophy hunting community. The prominence of shovelware spammers has negatively affected the trophy hunting community and its members through devaluing the work of legit trophy hunters in events and in the leaderboards.

If you enter a competition based around a system then you are at the whim of that system as a baseline. The good news is that the organiser of an event can introduce rules to mitigate the flaws of that system. I applaud you and your team for trying to win by taking the moral high ground but if these games were allowed in the event then you can't really complain as you either entered knowing this could happen or didn't bother to check if they were allowed or not. These games are cheap (figuratively and metaphorically) but they are perfectly valid within the system so it was up to the organiser to ban them if they were seen as a problem. 

4 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Every single week a thread like this pops up and the moderators sit on the fence on whether to lock it or let it continue. Three out of four times, threads like this get locked because nobody can agree to disagree.

We've gone political, even on something as trivial as trophies. But I see this everywhere, not just on here but in the society we live in now. We continue to be divided over the most trivial of things and we wonder why we don't accomplish anything.

It's like how most Star Wars communities are now. There's a constant fight between the older people who continue to stick to the classic Stars Wars trilogy and those who prefer the prequel films. And with how Disney has handled Star Wars, it's now a constant battle.

I hear responses like this, and I have to say yours is well thought out, eloquent, sophisticated and well written. But every time I say that these games have ruined the PS Store, or that more normal trophy hunters are getting pushed out by those who play these shovelware titles, I get called out and told I'm a hater by those who indulge in these games.

Thanks and I don't disagree with any of this really. The 'black and white' thinking and the 'tribalism' that seem to dominate today's discourse is sad but I'd rather not get into that.  

Don't get me wrong though. I don't care for these games and they have very little, if any redeeming qualities. If they were to go tomorrow I would be perfectly happy. My main complaint is more with the idea that the trophy system and by extension ‘trophy hunting’ has some sort of intrinsic worth outside of whatever you personally make of it. This may have been the case at some point and it even may have been made with this in mind. But we are far gone from that now and these games are but one issue. I would love it if this was the case though but without a complete overhaul i doubt it will ever happen.

I’m perfectly happy to agree to disagree if you want.

Ah shit, here we go again. Threads like this exemplify what's wrong with today's society: being unable to tolerate different opinion. First it was about your political affiliation. Then it was which genitals you prefer to suck. Now it's which platinum trophies are deemed worthy. For fuck's sake, when will this nonsense end? Trophies are worthless. Always have been, always will be. Their only real purpose has always been to tie gamers to a specific platform. It doesn't matter if you finished "Super Meat Boy" first try, blindfolded, playing only with your feet. Nobody will knock at your door and offer you a nine hour blowjob as a reward. At the same time, nobody will face capital punishment for playing ezpz games. Who actually gives a fuck? It's a hobby. A means to kill time. Play whatever you want. I'm currently playing Fallout 3 on 360. This is my 27th playthrough. So what? I play what I enjoy most. And so should you.

@Beyondthegrave07
It's time to lock this thread.

Edited by El Duderino

9 minutes ago, tonkie18 said:

@TomataEighty9 ??

Step 1 - get Mummy’s tit out your mouth.

Step 2 - save up for some vagina (and a penis enlargement if you can)

Step 3 - be a nicer human being.

That goes for all you bitter, twisted, resentful twats ?1f618.png

Im out. Not sticking around for a load of little boys to try to bully me. Have fun way down there on the leaderboard - what these arguments boil down to. Jealousy ? pathetic. 

G’bye green eyed monsters ?

@MonaSaxPayne leave me outta this shit ? can’t cope with the ridiculousness and delusions of these losers anymore 1f648.png

What a great conclusion to this Discussion. It will restart next week anyway.

9 minutes ago, El Duderino said:

@Beyondthegrave07
It's time to lock this thread.

Snitch

Edited by Alex_Gorbatschow

Can we just preemptively ban all threads regarding these games? Nip the problem right in the bud. Not necessary to have threads regarding such trivial games to begin with and they're just used by users as an excuse to create a shit show and argue with others. Every single one dissolves into the same bullshit. 

I'm all for healthy debate if it's productive, but this is not productive clearly. 

Edited by mega-tallica
  • Like 1

I don’t mind people playing whatever makes them happy. My only concern is that I used to find new games to play, sometimes hidden gems, in the new trophy lists added to the site, but nowadays it’s almost impossible to do that, shovelware just cover it all.

And the same problem happens browsing the store, there are great indie games but to reach any of them you have to go through several of these games…

If this kind of games could be filtered somehow…

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tonkie18 said:

Guys guys… im gonna go and play an EZPZ platinum. Im gonna go spend hundreds of pounds on them. Im gonna shoot up the leaderboard and leave you all behind with your tiny, insignificant profiles that no one will ever click on because you’re lost on the leaderboards. 

That's the spirit! I can't wait for Tonkoom to reach the top of the leaderboard. I believe in you?

Don't mind me, I'm just cleaning up here!

=This comment has no deeper meaning=

Sponsored by lordofthesacasm.lol                                                                                                                                                              Rep here plz?

Edited by D-E-U-S-X