Start of the problem?

dannyswfc9

I hope this thread can have a bit of decent and serious discussion without poo throwing and getting locked within a few hours.....

I really enjoyed this trilogy. At the time it was the first game to be classed as a disgraceful 1 button plat trophy to alot of people but it was done really well with some decent effort put into it and this trilogy became suprisingly popular.

So i ask do you think this game started the problem of what is now a mess and a flood of these 1 button click games being released on a daily basis that have copied the mayo gameplay but with zero effort and have destroyed the leaderboards on here.

Or is there other reasons this started

• Like 1

I reckon the actual genesis of the concept would be Cow Clicker?

- it wasn't a Playstation game, but it was a sort of parody game that deconstructed Social games - Facebook games and the likes.

That sort of served as the spark point for games like Mayo, which remain parody, but were used unironically by a small contingent, which then grew into things like Slyde, and leads smoothly into the current crop of Trophy-Mill games, as the parody angle was eschewed, and the games directly served the audience they had once been parodying 

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 4

For me, AABS Animals probably. Sure, it was a game designed around giving money to charity.

The fact you could load it up, do nothing and sit and watch and earn trophies caused quite a bit of a stir at the time.

My Name Is Mayo certainly popularised it though, and I remember a lot of people mocking it and then buying it, saying "Well yeah it's a funny game so I bought it for a laugh and it made me laugh and it was cheap, so what's the harm"

.... and here we are today, there's a lot more of these "clicking the button to trophies" games now, and in hindsight for these people, probably not much of "a laugh" anymore.

It's kinda surreal to revisit this game, a joke game, which actually has a fair amount of work put into it, especially the sequels. It's always interesting that going forward the standards get lower and so low and then the current lowest game gets bumped up to a more respected level.

I recently googled Hanna Montana and was actually surprised how competent a product it actually is. I mean sure it's easy and probably a game for young girls, but the standards have got thaaaat low as to what is considered a "trophy whoring" (and) "game".

• Like 1

Definently 100000000000000% not.

It was just a meme / parody game from steam which they released on playstation with the same trophy list. Hell it released in a time periods on steam where devs could add 5000 instant popping achievements into their game. These devs could have done the same if they wanted to cather to that crowd.

That it got this name is only by delusional trophy hunters that dont want to see the truth.

All hail the mayo.

Yours truly,

Your mayo clicking pear.

• Like 3

Hard to say.

I wasn't even aware of just how ridiculous bad of some of the games that are released were until recently. I think it was probably just a consent stream of dev's seeing how far they could push it until we reached the point were at now. It's always been a downward slope it was just how long it took. 

I have no connection to this game like some people seem to have so whatever the reason it was this game got released I wouldn't be surprised if this was a game which pushed the boat along to the point were at now but if it wasn't this then it would of been something else. 

• Like 1

That what you call a problem started with the first Trophy.

Bling. It’s an iconic sound that accompanies practically every contemporary PlayStation game, and it’s now been ten years since Super Stardust HD introduced us to it. All the way back on 2nd July, 2008, updates were released for the PlayStation 3 and Housemarque’s arcade hit which incorporated an all-new brand-wide metagame: Trophies.

That’s right, today marks the ten year anniversary of Sony’s achievement system, which was not-so casually “copied” from the Xbox 360. The premise was simple: each game would include a set of increasingly challenging trinkets to collect, with retail releases (beginning with Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune a month later) boasting a highly desirable Platinum gong. Trophies were optional to begin with, but starting in 2009 they became mandatory.

For some, the dopamine drip associated with collecting Trophies has become a way of life; we spoke to one of the world’s biggest hunters a few years ago, RoughDawg4, who currently has a cabinet stuffed with over 1,500 of the aforementioned end-game pots. There are hundreds of thousands of Trophies to collect at this stage, spanning the PS3 and PS Vita through to the PS4.

• Like 2

Mayo lives in a weird pocket to me. Is it “trophy trash?” Did it provide a template? In some ways, certainly. But it also felt like it had some sense of production values, of being made because someone wanted to make it for reasons other than “hyur, hyur, we can get some chump to give us money for this!” It’s significantly more interactive than what was to come, with animation, sound effects and having to stop clicking and switch the costumes, and is telling a story (that is actually quite entertaining, to boot.) But anything successful or popular is bound to spawn imitators, and sort of like Michael Keaton in Multiplicity, the farther from the source you get, the worse the results.

Mayo 2 and 3 get slapped with the same brush, ironically as they moved away from the simplicity of the first. Mayo 3 has a long “walking simulator” section that’s packed with minigames (any one of which I could picture Breakthrough Games trying to pawn off as a $2 Platinum) while telling a well-made story about grief, loss, and moving on. Not that any of it matters; they’ve been branded, both by popular opinion and by folks who snapped them up and ignored all the dialogue in a rush to get that “ding!”

I suppose that’s a long way of saying “yeah, it may well be the (or a) root, but it has merits of its own.” I suspect the consumer reaction to Mayo - specifically the consumers who call themselves trophy hunters - and the ease of copying the style of presentation is more to “blame” (if blame is to be assigned) than the game itself.

• Like 3

It's funny how much the narrative has shifted over time.

When I first started trophy hunting on another Profile, Sound Shapes was considered one of the biggest trophy cheese' of the time due to the Autopop across stacks. Unsure if this was the first game to introduce that (it was certainly the most famous, made even more famous after being on PS+) but you can make the argument that the Autopop feature and how common it is today has only made the shovel ware genre' more prevalent considering buying 1 game can net you multiple platinum's in a minute.

The hypocrisy of the system is that a game like Telltale Season 2 doesn't get a platinum, but the games of today do is my only real issue with it. 

If someone wants to buy the game for a few Trophies, Sony makes a bit of money, the devs make a bit of money and the buyer gets exactly what they're buying (A Platinum) then who am I to complain

One thing is for sure, it definitely started in the PS4 Era, looking at easiest Platinum threads for the ps3 turn up lots of 4-10 Hour platinums.

I think My Name is Mayo is its own beast. Sure it’s a clicker, but it actually made you play. Probably takes an hour to get those 10,000 clicks. There’s even a trophy guide for it. The developers of the new clickers don’t put any effort in their games. They figured out the easiest game they can make and voila some people will buy it for the trophies. 

• Like 1

The start was Sony essentially allowing anything to have a plat and allowing anything to be sold on the PSN Store. It's an issue of quality control. The same thing has happened on Steam and it wasn't started by Mayo there. It's much less of an issue on Xbox because they have quality control for games with achievements.

My Name is Mayo is not a game strictly designed to give easy plats. It getting an easy plat made it influential in the spam plat genre but that's more Sony's fault than the design of the game. My Name is Mayo's only fault is being allowed to have a plat. It shouldn't have. 

Edited by iriihutoR84

No, this trilogy and Ratalaika games actually have gameplay and provide enjoyment for a low price - even though people crap on them because they think they're just 'easy platinum' games. There have been many other games before these which you could class as easy, even if some take a while like the Telltale games.

It's hard to know where the problem started, but there was a point where a few devs simply published terrible non-games with a platinum and other talentless developers decided to jump on the bandwagon. I personally wouldn't be surprised if a number of these 'developers' are the same person but publishing under different names

• Like 1

I'd say the problem started with "Breakthrough Gaming Arcade". That weird Christian company that started with "My Church and Halloween RPG" as well as those atari level graphics sports games they were releasing. 

At least that's the first time I saw 1 dollar two minute platinums. Granted the Church RPG takes more like 25 minutes. 

My name is Mayo actually has some goofy writing to it. I'd put this on the same level as a graphic novel rather than shovelware. Plus they released 3 games in the span of 6 or 7 years as opposed to 6 or 7 days. 

Plus it takes at least 45 minutes to get through the clicks. There's no, holding down the left trigger to spam through it. Basic as it is, it at least is more rewarding for the clicks through the narrative. I'll never forget when Mayo didn't have the courage to tell his dad he wanted to be a mime. And then did, and spiraled into a life of a prostitution. (At least I think that's how it went.) 

People who bash My Name is Mayo, simply never played it or gave it a single chance. 

The start of the problem was the inception of trophies/achievements to begin with which has led to the creation of this niche community of trophy hunters and the obsession with trophies in general. This is something that has been snowballing ever since the beginning. It was bound to get to this point inevitably. 

Not to point fingers at anybody as the 'cause' or the start of it; the developers that make these games, the people that play them or trophy hunters and the trophy hunting community as a whole. I think these games are manifestation of the underlying concept that developers want to make money and there's a community of people that are obsessed with trophies so there's a natural harmony and mutual interest there to create easy 'games' that are easy to develop at low cost, make the developers money, and satisfy at least a portion of trophy hunters that are willing to essentially buy their trophies and plats by purchasing these kinds of games.