Can we do something about status and forum spam?

1 hour ago, Jelly Soup said:

I've always thought a boosting thread was a better idea, like how PlaystationTrophies does it. I've found that less users check the boosting page so the pool of interested people is low. Double that for a really old game.

The reason that works is because each game on PST has a designated boosting thread and they are pinned so it’s at the top of page and ideally no one makes individual threads for themselves. You also don’t have to maintain your post on those threads once a week (to reset the timer) if you’re still waiting for a taker. The catch is whether or not people edit or delete their post when their case is closed, which seems to be the rationale of the self de-cluttering sessions page.

8 minutes ago, EqualityEarth said:

The reason that works is because each game on PST has a designated boosting thread and they are pinned so it’s at the top of page and ideally no one makes individual threads for themselves. You also don’t have to maintain your post on those threads once a week (to reset the timer) if you’re still waiting for a taker. The catch is whether or not people edit or delete their post when their case is closed, which seems to be the rationale of the self de-cluttering sessions page.

I'm remembering using the boosting thread for LBP years ago. Kept having to remind people to delete their requests after they got their trophies.

20 minutes ago, EqualityEarth said:

Not to get too off track but the problem for me is that the sessions are set up in a way that imply that a session must occur at the allotted time. When in reality people change it constantly and end up just playing whenever they figure it out off site. To me the sessions don't make sense. If people actually got online in a game at the "session" time and just played randomly like that then it would make sense, but that's not how people do boosting. Or if there was like a site wide announcement that said, "Game X in Session" and anyone could just go join and it could potentially make dead online games playable somewhat normally. But again that's not how people boost things so I don't really get it.

Anyhoo

14 minutes ago, Stevieboy said:

Status updates are just that, an update of your status. They are fine to be used for throwaway comments, such as posting your most recent plat. We even allow people to ask for boosting help in them, which we don't allow in the main forum. Status updates are designed for comments that will basically disappear in a few days. I would say the status updates that have paragraph after paragraph and picture after picture posted in them are more annoying as it takes you so long to scroll past them. At least these status updates are just one line.

I would question why anyone gets so annoyed at them, as it's just something you can scroll past and it's gone. It's like people have forgotten how to manually ignore something these days, and need some kind of software to do it for them all the time.

Also, if the mods had an issue with them, then we would have dealt with it by now. We don't, so we haven't.

That's kind of back to the feature issues on the site though. Because you could solve this if the main status update page collapsed (not sure the proper term in this context, but you get the idea), longer posts and had us click to see more. Like YouTube comment sections. That would fix that problem too. But I can't even remember the last time there was any significant change to the forum itself since we got this update. I think it's mostly stayed the same, like I already said all the issues I had with it then are still there now. 

Edited by Elvick_
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Elvick_ said:

That's kind of back to the feature issues on the site though. Because you could solve this if the main status update page collapsed (not sure the proper term in this context, but you get the idea), longer posts and had us click to see more. Like YouTube comment sections. That would fix that problem too. But I can't even remember the last time there was any significant change to the forum itself since we got this update. I think it's mostly stayed the same, like I already said all the issues I had with it then are still there now. 

There's not much that can be done to the forum itself in the way of customisation as it's a template not created by Sly, so he's limited in what he can do with it. It's not like the profiles/games/sessions section of the site that Sly created himself. Any suggestions for changes in the forums would have to be implemented by whoever made the template.

32 minutes ago, Stevieboy said:

Status updates are just that, an update of your status. They are fine to be used for throwaway comments, such as posting your most recent plat. We even allow people to ask for boosting help in them, which we don't allow in the main forum. Status updates are designed for comments that will basically disappear in a few days. I would say the status updates that have paragraph after paragraph and picture after picture posted in them are more annoying as it takes you so long to scroll past them. At least these status updates are just one line.

I would question why anyone gets so annoyed at them, as it's just something you can scroll past and it's gone. It's like people have forgotten how to manually ignore something these days, and need some kind of software to do it for them all the time.

Also, if the mods had an issue with them, then we would have dealt with it by now. We don't, so we haven't.

i am curious, if you have an answer for this. When you block someone, and you scroll posts it will say "you have chosen to ignore X Y Z". and you can click to view. Or whatever. Chances are they get quoted and you see it anyways, but why doesn't blocking someone remove their status updates from being seen by you? 

Also a bit funny we can get an update to filter out shovelware games but not status updates about shovelware games...

Edited by Infected Elite

1 minute ago, Infected Elite said:

i am curious, if you have an answer for this. When you block someone, and you scroll posts it will say "you have chosen to ignore X Y Z". and you can click to view. Or whatever. Chances are they get quoted and you see it anyways, but why doesn't blocking someone remove their status updates from being seen by you? 

I don't know exactly how it works, but that must be a limitation with the forum software. It's obviously not programmed to block both posts and status updates from a user, it seems.

4 minutes ago, Stevieboy said:

I don't know exactly how it works, but that must be a limitation with the forum software. It's obviously not programmed to block both posts and status updates from a user, it seems.

Thanks for the input. I always found that to just be a bit odd. 

Edited by Infected Elite
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevieboy said:

Either that, or it is simply a setting somewhere that could be toggled. That would solve all this.

16 minutes ago, Stevieboy said:

There's not much that can be done to the forum itself in the way of customisation as it's a template not created by Sly, so he's limited in what he can do with it. It's not like the profiles/games/sessions section of the site that Sly created himself. Any suggestions for changes in the forums would have to be implemented by whoever made the template.

So what? These are problems. He is supposed to fix things, not do nothing for years. If the template sucks find a better one that actually function properly out of the box, or one he can customize to work how it should. 

What’s the point of your comment exactly, because it just amounts to “well it is what it is”. Well gosh golly gee, I thought it was a knitted dinosaur sweater! No criticism allowed gaiz, because it is what it is. Lock it up. Ban discussion about the forums and anything pertaining to how it works because it is what it is and that’s that. 

1 hour ago, Stevieboy said:

Glad I read this. Wanted to post a status looking for a quick game of Among Us but I didn't because I didn't think it was allowed ?

I agree with this point, though. A long status filled with walls of text, especially brightly colored text, and a bunch of pictures is way more annoying than some guy just posting about his newest plat, shovelware or not. I get wanting to block people and never see their shit again, but... At the same time, life don't work that way. If someone annoys you, you can't just erase their existence. If they're doing something that annoys you but isn't actually harming anyone, it seems a bit much to punish them for that, especially if no rules are being broken. 

Honestly, it seems more like you should reach out and ask them politely to tone it down instead of publicly putting them on blast like this. Kinda tasteless imo.

• Like 2

Put another +1 in the camp of "why doesn't blocking someone block their status updates too".  Honestly it smells more like a bug than a feature.

I'm guessing it's a matter of the forum being customized so much to integrate with the main site that updating the forum software or installing Invision community mods are a non-starter.  Would probably have to start over from scratch with some of it.

Edited by Dreakon13

4 hours ago, Stevieboy said:

Morning.

It's pretty much 2-3 users posting the same unnecessary spam over and over. Seems like everyone in this thread knows who they are already. Perhaps something could be done to make the status updates more functional?

• Like 1

I personally just wish that putting someone on your ignore list also hid their status updates. I honestly can't fathom why it doesn't. AFAIK, that's an issue with the forums' provider in general, not PSNP, so doubt there's really anything that can ever be done about that.

Edited by Raidou Kuzunoha XIV
  • Like 2

The main issue is I keep seeing said posts and updates even after I block someone,I have absolutely nothing against this person but it does get annoying.

7 hours ago, Sikutai said:

-Post removed-

Her posts have meaning behind them, her platinum write up has interesting stuff to read, to agree or disagree with her opinion is one thing but what we are talking about here is constant effortless spam, completely different things.

Edited by Sunnyburrito
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Jelly Soup said:

I've always thought a boosting thread was a better idea, like how PlaystationTrophies does it. I've found that less users check the boosting page so the pool of interested people is low. Double that for a really old game.

Agree. Reddit r/trophies has a monthly boosting thread that seems to work pretty well. Rules are right up at the top. I see so many placeholder boosting sessions that I'm betting aren't active at all. A monthly thread would give a nice clean break and save space since the prior months would be obsolete and immediately deletable.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, here4headshots said:

Agree. Reddit r/trophies has a monthly boosting thread that seems to work pretty well. Rules are right up at the top. I see so many placeholder boosting sessions that I'm betting aren't active at all. A monthly thread would give a nice clean break and save space since the prior months would be obsolete and immediately deletable.

never knew about this.. just checked it out, but can't say I find it useful that u have to scroll throw countless posts just to see if someone is boosting a game you're interested in

PST boosting threads and this site's sessions features are way more preferable. people's inability to meet up at the designated time has nothing to do with the way these boost requests are formatted

• Like 1