Trophy Thoughts?

Tigerz_bone_21

23 minutes ago, funker1987 said:

Is there a early excess thing? Or why are there 9 gamer on the leaderboard?

People get games early all the time, either through promotions by the publisher/developer or from retail shops breaking the street release date.

This game also released on Xbox a week before us PS players get it, so there was probably some additional confusion around retail release dates.

On 1/22/2023 at 4:04 AM, nrs1nrs1 said:

ayyyy the man himself! Great work on the recent vids, DS2 Hard Core is painful as all hell.

Hey beast! 
Ya DS2 was a lot of anxiety, Idk how I managed in 1 8 hour stream and 2 deaths. Was only my 2nd time playing the game too, the forcefun and plasma cutter just carry so so hard!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

Impossible mode sounds interesting. Any idea what that’s all about? Is it just a fancy name for the highest difficulty or is it something more akin to the hardcore mode in Dead Space 2?

The only thing I’ve seen is that it’s Permadeath mode. I’d love some confirmation on whether it’ll let you save at all though cause I’m not sure I’d have the time to get it in one sitting. 

On 1/21/2023 at 2:41 PM, rockstarjazz said:

whats impossible mode?

hope it isnt something stupid like one-hit-and-its-permadeath bullshit difficulty where your enemies are roided up, or something like that

Its permadeath and how it should be. A challenge should be a challenge, it shouldn't be watered-down for a new gen of gamers who cry that games are too tough as soon as it gives them a challenge. The original game was brutal and so should this be. 

• Like 2

I don't mind permadeath, increased difficulty, etc.

I absolutely loathe limiting the number of times I can save. I can only play games for about 1.5 hours a day, at best, so these types of things are a big hurdle for me. Not being able to save my progress where and when I want has been a grievance for me in gaming since the 90s. My life outside gaming shouldn't add to the difficulty of the game, lol.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Alayaes said:

I don't mind permadeath, increased difficulty, etc.

I absolutely loathe limiting the number of times I can save. I can only play games for about 1.5 hours a day, at best, so these types of things are a big hurdle for me. Not being able to save my progress where and when I want has been a grievance for me in gaming since the 90s. My life outside gaming shouldn't add to the difficulty of the game, lol.

This. I'm all for a challenge but I don't have the time to sink into games like I once did, so I really hope they allot saves for Permadeath and let me tackle it at my own pace.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ResiGamer_28 said:

Its permadeath and how it should be. A challenge should be a challenge, it shouldn't be watered-down for a new gen of gamers who cry that games are too tough as soon as it gives them a challenge. The original game was brutal and so should this be. 

there is a challenge, and then there is total BS where it ceases to be fun.

• Like 2

On 22/01/2023 at 1:28 AM, wardragon989 said:

Looking at the list it's not bad at all.

• Collectables - Is gonna be a pain as I'm sure one will be tied to those different path things (hopfull not though)
  • New Game+ - If all weapon upgradde carry over it will make Plasma Cutter Only easy
  • Plasma Cutter Only - Rely's on New Game+
  • Impossible Mode - Gonna be the most difficult, if the same conditions are the same or are different now =/
  • Alternatve Ending - Gonna be interesting I can only assume it's sometimes when you arrive on the planet

Regardless it looks like a 2 playthrough remake

1. Collectables + Alternative Ending
  2. New Game+ + Plasma Cutter + Impossible Mode

In the original 2008 Dead Space game I got the Legend Teller trophy during my first playthrough of the game by just exploring the game.

There were more than 150 logs in the entire game which means you didn't really need a guide to get the trophy, as you didn't need to collect every logs in the game.

I'm expecting the remake to be the same :)

The weapons' upgrades did also carry to NG+, as there weren't enough nodes to upgrade all weapons in a single playthrough.

I'm excited for the remake :D

20 hours ago, rockstarjazz said:

there is a challenge, and then there is total BS where it ceases to be fun.

You do not seem to realize everybody's taste is different. You can't just state that it is not fun as a fact just because it's not fun for you. Also, what you consider challenging can be easy to do for somebody else.

Edited by BloodyRutz

I have 322 hours on Steam for the original Dead Space. It's one of the only series I've ever seriously considered doing full completion for (including GER DS2). If Impossible is as people said here it will be, I can't wait. This is one of my favorite games ever and I'm happy to see the love with which Motive has approached both development and transparency with consumers.

On 1/22/2023 at 10:07 AM, HoorayForTyler said:

I disagree, respectfully. I don’t think anyone who is a fan of the Dead Space series—especially the first game—should be cautious, worried, or wait to play the game.

I mean, a lot of other fans are (rightfully) worried and cautious, so...

I'm a huge fan of the series too. At the very least I enjoyed every single title in the series (yes the spinoffs too), played DS2's multiplayer longer than most fans, got 100% in every game (which accounts for all DLC too), typically put DS1/DS2 in any "Top 10 Favorite Horror/PS3/7th Generation Games Lists", own the big "Art of Dead Space" book, saw all the animated movies (have to finish the comics though), and would see the kinda-leaked movie in theaters if it looks good. I can add on to this, but I digress.

What exactly was shown to make you feel that way?

Just about everything, from the smallest of details to biggest.

Seeing the intro scene of the game and gameplay segments; the unique, iconic box-art of the original replaced by the standard "character-standing-and-looking-towards-camera" box-art; and the execution of variousss aspects in-game changed my view pretty drastically: 

1. Where are Isaac's highly immersive and extraordinary animations? (Even the heavily iconic damaged ones on lower health states I've yet to see.)
  2. Why is the traversal of sound behind glass poor? (The original does this better.)
  3. Why is the sound mixing awful in multiple parts? (The ones im referring to the original does better.)
  4. Why does the sound of Isaac's footsteps sound lighter now, especially after the devs commented on making the 'heavy weighted suit' more realistic than ever?  
  5. Why the hell are characters far less terrified, worried, and anxious about their frightening situation, especially when the altered script still follows 1000 crew members being nowhere to be seen and heard onboard, the deduction of the missing crews's evacuation, and the necromorph attack that follows right after? 
  6. Why has the tension from the original been dramatically reduced? (This and 5., their changes, did a heavy blow to the immersion and tone of the game; it's watered down as fuck now.)
  7. Why did they ruin the characterization? (Especially Hammond, who now constantly sounds monotone and comes across nearly emotionless.)
  8. Why were the main characters visually aged up and down? Better yet, why did they introduce new main characters and gave them the same names as the those from the original?
  9. Why have all the standard necromorphs shown in footage been the same bald-headed looking types; where are the variant ones like in the original, including female? 
  10. The zero gravity flight controls look noticeably awkward control wise and animation wise, not even remotely as smooth as 2011 DS2's and 2013 DS3's; will these be fixed?
  11. Multiple dead bodies' R.I.Gs displayed full health in one of the last gameplay videos; will that be fixed?
  12. A dismembered necromorph sliding across the floor as if it was on ice or wearing skates; will this be fixed?
  13. They introduced the annoying squeeze-through-a-crevasse system; how many of those will there be? (The one shown lasted for 20 secs.)
  14. They turned several player-in-control scenes into cinematics that take control away from the player; how many of those will there be?
  15. There's a lot more, but I'm at 15. now, so this is more than enough.

I'd rather not exhaustingly continue this after this entire post. Instead, I'd prefer to put some thoughts out on the trophy list which I've been wanting detached from this sub-topic/post ?.

Obviously I think some parts look fine, like the dynamic heartbeat system and some other things. I'm not or am being a purist here; I don't really have a problem with things like Isaac taking his helmet off a bit more this time around (the idea of it anyway, since I'm mixed on his new completely different model), them having removed certain sections of the Ishimura, Isaac no longer being silent (i'm actually mixed on this specifically because the devs claimed to only keep it to conversations and not when he's alone, with "only 1-2 rule-breaking exceptions"; personally I'd like him to at least give ONE liners for SOME horrific gameplay events...), etc, it just mostly comes down to good reasoning and good execution for their changes...

It looks like it’s going to be a great remake with added features. 

Ratchet & Clank's remake and Spyro's trilogy remake looked like great remakes with added features too and look how those turned out under the surface (not necessarily bad games, just disappointing recreations that don't retain the charm and soul of the original(s)). Especially The Callisto Protocol too (while not a remake of a beloved game, it was another heavily hyped-up linear, third person survival-horror game like Dead Space and ended up being a relative disappointment and official flop). It's the same cycle of consumers being corporately baited into thinking they're getting something really great, but also the consumers neglecting to look past the surface and do some waiting-and-researching. This remake has some of the same glaring issues that plague those previously mentioned remakes, and other unmentioned ones. 

Also, Motive Studio evidently took the opportunity to overtly inject their personal politics when remaking the game, and from my perspective it looks to have had at least some negative impact (especially in regards to the multiple layers of character design, and dialogue). For a while post remake announcement, I wasn't aware of the studio's culture and some ugly/confrontational Neil Druckmann-like public matters with their writer of Star Wars: Squadron, so I couldn't consider then that Dead Space remake could be altered in the way it has. I'm not fully expecting or saying their politics will be egregious, just acknowledging that, unlike the original, some of that is included in this reimagined game and compromised the identity of the original. And, potentially, failing at its tried new or "improved" direction on that front.

Besides the problems that are set in stone, I of course can't tell yet what other aspects have presumably been fixed by the developers. I'm not giving a rating to the game or dismissing the game entirely. I'm just saying why it's disagreeable/unwise to mindlessly support the game at launch as was suggested, considering an abundant lack of polish and list of questionable designs thus far, why to manage expectations better, and now to you as you asked, why im disappointed pre-launch

Edited by EcoShifter
Minor adjectives adjustments. Same post.
  • Like 2

On 23.1.2023 at 2:02 PM, Creasy007 said:

The only thing I’ve seen is that it’s Permadeath mode. I’d love some confirmation on whether it’ll let you save at all though cause I’m not sure I’d have the time to get it in one sitting. 

You have one save slot for free use, no autosaves. You can save as often as you want, but only on a single slot. It's like DS3. If you die, the game will overwrite that save slot immediately.

You can continue on "hard" mode if you die, but "impossible" and it's trophy is missed then.

So it's no problem at all, you can backup your savegame in the cloud like it was in DS3, I guess. I'm playing in "story" difficulty for the first run, but that's what the description ingame said. You can choose "impossible" from the start, no need to unlock it first

edit

anyone else here playing on "story" difficulty? The game gave no information if every trophy can be earned there, I assumed it should be possible ...

either I have trophy bugs or it's not possible

edit edit

nevermind, you can earn all trophies on "story" difficulty ... but one is bugged for me atm

Edited by Billie_691
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Billie_691 said:

You have one save slot for free use, no autosaves. You can save as often as you want, but only on a single slot. It's like DS3. If you die, the game will overwrite that save slot immediately.

You can continue on "hard" mode if you die, but "impossible" and it's trophy is missed then.

So it's no problem at all, you can backup your savegame in the cloud like it was in DS3, I guess. I'm playing in "story" difficulty for the first run, but that's what the description ingame said. You can choose "impossible" from the start, no need to unlock it first

edit

anyone else here playing on "story" difficulty? The game gave no information if every trophy can be earned there, I assumed it should be possible ...

either I have trophy bugs or it's not possible

You're a legend, thank you so much for the proper confirmation! Save-scumming is a nice option to fall back on but I really just wanted to make sure there was a save slot so I didn't have to do it all in one run. I don't have the time for that kind of headache anymore. Can't wait to go for this Platinum. Bring on Friday.

• Like 1

The trophy list diverges from the original not entirely but in more ways than one. Gonna put some initial thoughts from days back I didn't have enough time to post then.

(Purposely avoided PowerPyx's guide, and reviews, to get out some initial thoughts without influence.) (Will comment on multiple new and old trophies but not all.)

Noticed that of the 12 chapter trophies that have returned, only chapter 1's had its name changed, to "Welcome Aboard" from "Dead on Arrival" in the original. Wonder why that was changed.

"Discover the Hunter's origins" and "Pursue Nicole's investigation" are both new trophies. They're also new extensions to the lore. It's good they have dedicated trophies, but i'm more curious/concerned with the quality of the expanded storylines.

They removed the "complete game on any difficulty" trophy and (technically) replaced it with a harder trophy: "complete game on medium difficulty". Doesn't change much, but I think it's the better option of the two since it encourages playing what is usually the "most balanced" mode for all players. The hardest difficulty trophy [impossible] remains, but they sort of made it live up to its name this time by changing it to permadeath*. However, "Hardcore" would have been a more appropriate name change not just literally and to match its "untouchable" trophy title (that name would fit if it were a "no damage run"), but also to have some consistency with the original sequels... and potentially a future remake of DS2. Anyways, apparently it functions similarly to Dead Space 3's wherein you get just 1 life (which does not require one sitting; was never like that), but without its autosaving feature. They then gave New Game+ its own difficulty trophy, upping the total count of difficulty mode based trophies. Generally I'm fine with that. As long as the game isn't bad or incredibly long.

"Collect all schematics" was changed from "collect 8 schematics" in the original game. Simply, I find that change better, though not so sure about remaining a bronze.

"Dismember 50 limbs" was changed from "dismember 20" in the original. "Dismember 500 limbs" remains. However, "dismember 1000 limbs" was removed; there's no need to make a miscellaneous trophy like this too grindy, so just 500 is pretty much an improvement. Would be a negative if they changed it to strictly active bodies instead of both it and dead ones, though

"Complete the game only using the Plasma Cutter". One of the most iconic and coolest guns in a video game. While the new, inferior sound effects in this reimagining unfortunately pale in comparison to the original's, keeping this trophy in the game was a good call. If they (re)balanced it, which I'm skeptical on since they've expanded on weapons with upgrades officially-straight out DS2 and something else similar to DS3, that'd make it more enjoyable so it even-if slightly leans more into survival. Don't mind that it got knocked down to silver, considering it can be done on any difficulty.

"Rip off a dangling limb using Kinesis" is new, and really simple. I'd probably prefer "rip off a dangling limb with kinesis and use it to impale an active enemy" or "... dismember another enemy".

"Pin an enemy", also new, in contrast is a bit better than the above. This requires at least a tiny bit of skill and planning within an environment. They added those throwable impaling metal poles from DS2 (as fun as those were there, I feel it was an unnecessary addition here that might make the game less difficult than it should be), but the trophy should accommodate for any impaling object.

"Survive the Shooting Gallery" was changed from "Achieve a perfect score in the Shooting Gallery" in the original. The description change already denotes a combative situation. Highly doubt they've turned the targets into mobile necromorphs, so I'm guessing enemies invade the game area now or show up around the end of a round in the environment.

"Kill the leviathan remnant" belongs to the same trophy as the original. They just changed the name of the boss. 

"See the alternate ending on any difficulty mode" is a new thing entirely. Original game had no alternate endings. Hope this one is good.

*Despite impossible's change to the permadeath format, I'm pretty sure save exploits will still exist. As much as starting over from the beginning or previous saves sucks in video games, it completely invalidates the existence of permadeath using the methods. It's essentially a wasted feature and especially trophy. Just don't like seeing wasted potential like that. Completing DS2 and DS3 on their hardest difficulty are fairly doable, challenging but not to the most extreme; even with the "intensity director" system I can't see it being any different with this game. 

There's enough to tell that the overall difficulty range of the trophy list isn't where I want it, but it's not as bad as it could have been, such as a The Last of Us-esque list.

Not that it matters to me, but when it comes down to the trophy icons those are noticeably worst.

Most of the trophies are fine in terms of the variety of interactions with in-game content it demands, especially those tied to the new content.

The platinum title uses the same name as the original but with the typo finally corrected—"Concordance Officer". Couldn't appreciate the status title of the original platinum with that typo. (Unfortunately though, the icon isn't appealing enough to use as a milestone, unlike the passable original's.)

Edited by EcoShifter
  • Like 1