Report: PlayStation 5 Pro in development

Abby_TheLastofUs

Would you buy a PS5 Pro?  

277 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a PS5 Pro?

I don't see a reason for a pro version to exist, it's not like when PS4 pro launched because they needed a console to quickly get on the 4k train. If they actually release it, unless the base PS5 will go back to 30fps as a standard, I won't even consider buying the pro. If 60fps will only be possible on pro, then at the moment it's 50/50 between me getting it or just switching to PC.Β 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, enaysoft said:

Β 

Believe it or not, PS5 is just over 2 years old, and end of next year would make it 4 years old. Pretty sure PS4 Pro came out at a similar time in the PS4's life span.

Β 

I think more concerning is that for 2 years it's been almost impossible to buy one, and 2 years later there's only 15 or so PS5 exclusive games, most other hit games on PS5 have also been available on PS4, X-Box or PC.

Β 

I never people going on about the haptic feedback anymore, other than Astro Boy did many other games use it? A bit like the Vita's back panel, a gimmick that soon faded away.

Arguably PS5 VR2 is gaining more traction. I haven't got a PS5 yet, infact a few days ago I bought a brand new PS4 slim since it's like half the price of a brand new PS5.

Β 

I was a slow upgrader from PS3 to PS4 but wow, I think I'm gonna be even later this time around, or maybe I won't get a PS5 at all. Not until they allow USB backup of saves anyway.

Β 

I maybe want to play FF7 Remake 2, but after calmly getting over the fact I can't play FF7 Remake 1 DLC. I think I can live without it.

The PS5 unit looks a bit dumb, and it's really big and difficult to dust, and the haptic controllers are it seems a bit more prone to breakage than PS4 ones.

Β 

I think I will wait. Like honestly, when the PS4 came out I was genuinely thinking "I'll get a PS4 soon, there's a lot to look forward too".

I don't have that feeling with the PS5 at all, especially looking at that price tag.

Β 

Β 

I completely agree with everything you said.Β I know it’s an unpopular opinion among a lot of people because gamers are always excited to get their hands on new shit, but I’ve felt right from the very beginningΒ that the PS5 was kind ofΒ unnecessary at this point in time.
Β 

The technological jump between the PS2 to PS3, or the PS3 to PS4, was quite massive and created a lot of eagerness to upgrade to the next generation if youΒ didn’t want to miss out on all the best games and features.Β But right now we are several years into the PS5 life cycle and while it does have some nice features and the hardware has great potential, we really haven’t seen that same kind of leap forwardΒ at all.
Β 

There’s been very few games, if any, that fully take advantage of the PS5 hardware, and unless you’re the kind of gamerΒ who is a real tech nerd geeking out at all the small graphical andΒ performance improvements between the majority of games that are released on both PS4 and PS5, the difference between the two isΒ negligible.
Β 

I’m clearly not this kind of person, so perhaps that is why I feel so indifferent towards it. *shrug*Β But just like you, I’ve had a real lack of urgency to upgrade. When I started gaming on PS3 a few years back, I absolutely couldn’t wait to buy a PS4. Admittedly they had been out forever at this point so there was a huge array of games, but the excitement to upgrade was there all along and it was always something to look forward to.
Β 

Right now I keep having friends ask me when I’m going to upgrade to PS5 and I always tell them I honestlyΒ have no idea. I rarely ever think about it unless someone asks me or a discussion like this comes along. Bottom line is thatΒ I just don’t feel like I’m missing out at all by continuing to game on my PS4 for the near future, and unfortunately I think that says a lot about the PlayStation 5 and that it still has a long way to go until it truly feels β€œnext generation.”

Β 

Β 

• Like 3

Not sure there's as much a need for it as there was the PS4 Pro but I'll probably still get one, I'm very easily swayed;Β I had an original PS4 which I liked but when I saw that a PS4 Pro could runΒ Hellblade: Senua's SacrificeΒ at 60fps it was a done deal.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be in any particular rush to get one if oneΒ does indeed pop up at some point in the future, seeing as how I only just recently got mine (and have barely played it lol).

Β 

Will probably still go with "Yes" on the poll, however, if only because I might be willing to eventually upgrade in the future and hand my current one over to my kiddos.

Edited by Zephrese

12 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

There’s been very few games, if any, that fully take advantage of the PS5 hardware, and unless you’re the kind of gamerΒ who is a real tech nerd geeking out at all the small graphical andΒ performance improvements between the majority of games that are released on both PS4 and PS5, the difference between the two isΒ negligible.

Β 

Even with PS5 exclusives, we're still in the PS4 era. That's the thing with consoles, the true power of the system doesn't really show until late in the generation, once talented people learn to optimize their games for the specific hardware. You can take any game from the beginning or even middle of any generation and compare them to some heavy hitters from the generation's last years and it's often night and day. On one hand, I can't wait to see some of those end-of-gen gorgeous things, on the other I'm a bit worried that if the Pro will actually arrive, we're looking at a shift in the approach to making console games. Instead of "we'll do as much as we can with the system", we'll have "let's do this and that and let the middle gen brute force it". And if we're talking about upgrading hardware to make games run or look good, instead of developers actually squeezing every last juice drop out of the system, then PC is not a bad alternative, considering the Pro wouldn't be cheap and Playstation games releasing on PC lately.Β 

Β 

I really can't wait for true PS5 games to appear, like Uncharted 2 or 3 compared to U1. Or more games taking advantage of the Dual Sense the way Astro did. It's a shame that the best experience with the controller itself is and will most likely be a glorified tech demo. An amazing experience and such letdown once you see other games just settle on changing the trigger's behavior with different weapons.Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

• Like 1

Never understood the trend in the games press of calling a rumor a "report", but I'm sure a slim model is being made at the very least. AΒ pro model wouldn't make much sense because the console is already so powerful and games for the most part haven't even pushed it to its absolute limits, but seeing as PS4 Pro was a thing, I guess nothing is impossible

• Like 2

I didn't vote. Give me another 2 years to think about it. While a PS5 Pro would be nice to see, I still think it's too early. The current system still has quite a way to go before it's maxed.

Β 

For me the jump in PS5 is performance with some improvement to graphics. Take Nioh Remastered against the PS4 version. While it may not look next gen, you get a good choice of two 60 FPS modes- 4K, or PS5 console standard (with screenspace reflections, more detail in character models, and nicer shadows). It's nice knowing there's a 120 FPS option, though I wouldn't use this. It's 1080p only and loses the PS5 CS extras.

Β 

If there is a PS5 Pro, I'd hope it could get Serious Sam 4 to run at 60 FPS for the entire game, even if only on the Performance mode. Nioh could get a PS5 Pro setting with 4K60 and the CS goodies.

Β 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

I completely agree with everything you said.Β I know it’s an unpopular opinion among a lot of people because gamers are always excited to get their hands on new shit, but I’ve felt right from the very beginningΒ that the PS5 was kind ofΒ unnecessary at this point in time.
Β 

The technological jump between the PS2 to PS3, or the PS3 to PS4, was quite massive and created a lot of eagerness to upgrade to the next generation if youΒ didn’t want to miss out on all the best games and features.Β But right now we are several years into the PS5 life cycle and while it does have some nice features and the hardware has great potential, we really haven’t seen that same kind of leap forwardΒ at all.
Β 

Β 

I’m clearly not this kind of person, so perhaps that is why I feel so indifferent towards it. *shrug*Β But just like you, I’ve had a real lack of urgency to upgrade. When I started gaming on PS3 a few years back, I absolutely couldn’t wait to buy a PS4. Admittedly they had been out forever at this point so there was a huge array of games, but the excitement to upgrade was there all along and it was always something to look forward to.
Β 

Right now I keep having friends ask me when I’m going to upgrade to PS5 and I always tell them I honestlyΒ have no idea. I rarely ever think about it unless someone asks me or a discussion like this comes along. Bottom line is thatΒ I just don’t feel like I’m missing out at all by continuing to game on my PS4 for the near future, and unfortunately I think that says a lot about the PlayStation 5 and that it still has a long way to go until it truly feels β€œnext generation.”

Β 

Β 

Β 

Yeah I have no idea why it's even unpopular. Amusingly first thing I did when I got a PS4 was binge on my favourite arcade games from Arcade Archives. Yeah, playing 30 year old games on 2014 hardware. lol

Β 

PS5 has been out 2 years but take a look. Here's a game to play. Go to NEW TROPHY LISTS on this site and click "MORE"

80% of new releases are PS4 and clicking on a PS5 trophy list, there's almost always a PS4 stack in there. Try to find a stack where it's PS5 only, takes a while. PS3 was supported well into PS4 life cycle but things don't seem to be slowing down. Infact there's a ton of PS4 only games still, stack wise, since of course you can play PS4 games on a PS5.

Half of my friends have PS5 and I often see them playing PS4 games on their PS5.

Β 

Maybe things will be different in 2 years from now, but big AAA games take sometimes a third of a console cycle to make now. Elden Ring, the new God Of War were on PS4. Considering FF7 remake has a PS4 Pro console launch edition. I think Square Enix were just pulling a dick move by making it PS5 only, like there's very few other games that did this.

Β 

I guess for me personally getting middle aged, full time job, wife and kid, learning to play the piano and doing a lot of exercise outdoors in recent months, I have way less time to play games.

Β 

But off the top of my head

Β 

100+ hour games, FF8, FF9, Legend Of Dragoon, Saga Frontier

Β 

Dark Souls 1, 2 and 3

Yakuza 1 Kiwami, Yakuza 2 Kiwami, Yakuza Isshin (Japanese only version) (and if I feel like getting Yakuza 3, 4, 5 HD remake for PS4)

Β 

RE0, RE 1 remake, RE 3 remake, RE8

Β 

Samurai Warriors 5

Old PS4 games like Alien Isolation, God Of War 3.

Β 

I can even buy the latest God Of War and upcoming RE4 remake if I wanted too on PS4.
Not sure about RE4 remake but even the latest recent Resident Evil games have been 60fps even on base PS4, barely any difference to the PS5 versions.

Β 

Oh, and all the above I just mentioned off the top of my head, I have ALREADY bought and am just waiting to play them for the first time, on my trusty PS4s (and also have 5 PS4 controllers in reserve now)

Β 

This doesn't include all the 100+ games I have started already waiting to be finished or 100% completed games I might like to play again.

Β 

Considering the finite amount of time I have in my life these days, and all the anticonsumer practices like mandatory PS+ because you can't back up your save files or copy them between two PS5 consoles (if you have that as an option)

Β 

I am pretty sure Arcade Archives have like 10 years of worth of games to be released, and as if they are gonna start releasing PS5 only version, you know for like fucking ROMs from the 80s and 90s lol. My recently modified arcade joystick I replaced parts for, that doesn't work on PS5.

Β 

I almost can't think of any reason for myself personally to get a PS5. I don't even have the space for it in my tiny Japanese apartment, PS3 and PS4 only just fit inside the shelf where they are situated.

Β 

I think at this point in a weird sort of way, there's a sense of pride not owning a PS5, like, nah I don't need it.

Β 

There's bound to be a whole ton of gems, genres and games I have not even heard of in the past 9 years on the store, and since PS3 store is still open, well I guess I could probably wait until PS6 or PS7 in 2033 (if there ever is such a thing)

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 2

On 16/03/2023 at 1:49 AM, enaysoft said:

Β 

Β 

I can even buy the latest God Of War and upcoming RE4 remake if I wanted too on PS4.
Not sure about RE4 remake but even the latest recent Resident Evil games have been 60fps even on base PS4, barely any difference to the PS5 versions.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Lol wtfΒ  re2make is like 25fps most of the time. Maybe 30 when no action is on screen

Β 

Β Not even 7 or 8 is 60fps on base ps4

7 hours ago, poker_1987 said:

Β 

Β 

Lol wtfΒ  re2make is like 25fps most of the time. Maybe 30 when no action is on screen

Β 

Β Not even 7 or 8 is 60fps on base ps4

Β 

You're right about RE2 remake, I just checked, it's actual 45fps on PS4 slim with dips to around 30fps in some high levels of action. It honestly doesn't feel like 30fps though, I never even noticed, that's how good the game feels.

Β 

RE7 is a locked 60fps on Slim, with a slightly higher resolution. RE7 is locked to 60fps on all PS4 because of the requirement for VR.

Β 

No idea about RE8, not played it.

Honestly, I've been saying since I got my PS5 that if they really want to do ray tracing they need either a PS5 Pro or to wait until the PS6, because the PS5 just isn't able to implement ray tracing without cutting visual fidelity enough that it's not worth choosing over other means of lighting. And considering most games on the PS5 can't manage 4k/60fps even without ray tracing, even outside of RT there is a strong reason to want a Pro model.

Β 

With that said, there's no way I'll be able to afford one anytime soon, lol.

• Like 2

I doubt it, PS4 needed a Pro because they maxed the console early with games like Arkham Knight in 2015, not even half in the gen, but forΒ PS5 we haven't seen a single game built 100% for PS5 on UE5

but if they do it, most likely they'll do it because they can not because it's needed, and I'll buy it, why not

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Do not get me wrong, I love the PS5 generation and I'm having lots of fun BUT .. What exactly is the draw for a PS5 Pro when the PS5 box says "8K" and "4K 120" and there hasn't been any games with those performance stats (aside from 1 or 2 8K games)? What could the PS5 Pro box possibly say on it now? I'm convinced the PS5 has plenty of juice left squeezing, but probably not enough to live up to the stats on the box. The devs have not been cooperating either. So if there's no minimum performance threshold, devs will continue making unimpressive last gen-looking 4k 30fps games. Only this time around there will be no fantastic catalogue of PS4 games to upgrade with visual patches, because we've already gone to the well with that in the 2.5 years the PS5 has been out. Someone explain to me what the upside of a PS5 Pro will be outside of decreased loading times and some sporadic games that are already released getting some lackluster to decent performance patches.Β 

Sony was testing out a 15 teraflop greybox prior to the PS5's unveiling. I don't have the exact link on me but I think Richard from DF mentioned it. The technology has since gotten much better since those fanatic years of scraping any information on PS5's specs ☺️?

Β 

Β 

Edited by Eraezr

Why I should do that?

I had buy a normal Playstation 5 on beginning of March this year with two games.

And I don`t waste buy this same console with the same name and most of the same and new? specs in a pro model..

Sony do this every thime.

So no!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Playstation 5 Pro

Β 

Insider Gaming reports with a 100% degree of certainty that the PlayStation 5 Pro is currently in development.

Β 

"Whilst we cannot report on any more specifics at this time, we understand that the first dev kit prototypes will be going to 1st party developers within the next couple of months, with 3rd party developers receiving them by the end of the year."

Β 

Expected Release Date: Q4 2024 (Tentative)

Β 

PS5 Slim

Β 

The new PlayStation 5 with a detachable disc drive should release later this year. Although reports have dubbed the new PlayStation 5 as the PS5 Slim, Insider Gaming understands that the console will be almost identical to the PlayStation 5 but feature a detachable disc drive. In fact, it’s understood that the new PlayStation 5 will completely phase out the old design within a year.

Β 

"Although not confirmed by sources, we would hope to see the console revealed at the next PlayStation Showcase, but as you’ll see with other hardware in this list, it’s possible that the console could be revealed with some other hardware at a later date."

Β 

Expected Release Date: September 2023

Β 

Insider-Gaming

Β 

Edited by Ghost