Report: PlayStation 5 Pro in development

Abby_TheLastofUs

Would you buy a PS5 Pro?  

277 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a PS5 Pro?

I won't say "No" as in never...as I said I wasn't going to buy a PS4 Pro as I was against that existing as well. Then my OG PS4 was starting to show signs of problems, a good deal fell in my lap...and I ended up with a PS4 Pro.

But no I won't buy one right away...and very much don't see the point in it. There's nothing about the PS5 that's suffering right now on a technical level. I may have been against the PS4 Pro because I don't like the idea of mid-gen upgrades being normalized, but there was at least some point to it pushing 4K gaming. There's no reason the PS5 needs a Pro model...and the very existence of a mid-gen upgrade becoming an egregious money grab is the whole reason I was against it to begin with. 

• Like 1

I decided at launch I wouldn't mind waiting 3 years for a PS5 because I just wasn't that excited for this gen and that's typically when new console versions come out but it's going to be a bit disappointing if the only real design change in a slim PS5 turns out to be just a detachable disc drive, I don't think I have the patience to wait until next year for a Pro unless they announce the planned release date for it this year

Edited by MD_91

• 2 weeks later...

If mid-refreshes for consoles becomes the norm, I’ll question the whole point of console gaming. I understood last gen, because both Microsoft and Sony basically came up with a ridiculously underpowered machine (perhaps to recoup some of the cost of the Xbox 360/PS3?). Both if this becomes the new normal, I might very well decide to call it quits. I’ve got enough games (and 4 consoles + emulation) to last me a lifetime, so…

• Like 1

the pro comes out when it's Needed. there is no definitive timescale, the original pro was needed for 4k tvs and psvr. This one is because of all that lumen bollocks they pumped into unreal engine 5 instead of frame rate. i imagine it'll be a 45 fps box like the ps4 pro was when it comes to UE5 games. 

• 2 months later...

Seen a few people saying some specs have been leaked. 8k gaming, surly at 30fps? 4K at high frame rate, twice as powerful as standard PS5, releasing next November. Probably be something like £650. Or £550 with no Disc drive?. Didn't they mention something about a Disc drive sold separately? Either way it surly won't be cheap. 

Edited by GUDGER666

14 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

Seen a few people saying some specs have been leaked. 8k gaming, surly at 30fps? 4K at high frame rate, twice as powerful as standard PS5, releasing next November. Probably be something like £650. Or £550 with no Disc drive?. Didn't they mention something about a Disc drive sold separately? Either way it surly won't be cheap. 

The disc drive is my main concern. To many SKUs to be spread out if they try to split that variant too. Better to keep things simple and just ship it default with the disc drive since it's supposed to be an ultimate PS5 of sorts.

Just like the PS4 Pro, it's hard to justify buying a new version of a console that only offers slight improvements over what I already own. 

If a detachable disc drive and slightly better performance is all they're aiming for with this "Pro" model then this is an easy pass for me. 

If they're going to redesign it with hardware that's more readily available to ease the supply issues the PS5 still faces to this day and improve availability then that would be a good reason for an update but other than that, there's no justification as to why something like this would even have to exist right now. 

30 minutes ago, mega-tallica said:

Just like the PS4 Pro, it's hard to justify buying a new version of a console that only offers slight improvements over what I already own. 

Pro offers more than slight improvements. Higher resolution plus 30vs60fps. Performance mode is game changing on some games. Another nice improvement is much faster download speeds, and Sata III which is much better when using an SSD. 4K streaming as well. 

The only problem is it's stupid fan and Sony's crappy stock thermal paste. 

46 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

Pro offers more than slight improvements. Higher resolution plus 30vs60fps. Performance mode is game changing on some games. Another nice improvement is much faster download speeds, and Sata III which is much better when using an SSD. 4K streaming as well. 

The only problem is it's stupid fan and Sony's crappy stock thermal paste. 

Yeah, I don't care that much about performance and resolution so to me, those improvements don't make a significant difference at all and certainly doesn't warrant purchasing a whole new console at full price for. 

Call me easy to please, I just want good games to play. That's all I really care about. 

I waited 4 years to get a PS3 and got a slim.

I waited 3 years to get a PS4 and got a slim.

I will continue waiting to get a PS5 and when I do, I will likely get a slim.  But even if a slim model comes out, I won't be buying a PS5 ever until they restore the basic features they took out that PS3 and PS4 had, such as being able to easily backup my saves on a USB flash drive.  It might seem too minor to matter for some, but it's a deal breaker for me.

• Like 4

mid gen upgrades competely devalue consoles.  They release a new generation, but just hold out for the better performing slim, besides, they still make new games for my last gen console.  Slim just released and already a pro version just around the corner, so hold out for that, but wait, it just released and now the next gen is just around the corner so why bother.  Even thought they just stopped making last gen games, everything I missed will be rereleased on the next gen.

That said, anyone wanna buy my ps5.0? I need a slim.

Whats the point in this.

8K is surely not going to be ready this gen as most households don't have 8KTVs. 4K TVs is only just becoming common enough in all households. 

Also 8K will only be worth it if you have a massive tv and most people don't have the space for that

On smaller screens you won't be able to tell the difference between 4K and 8K 

You probably need something like a 70" 

On 14/03/2023 at 2:02 PM, poker_1987 said:

Finally. Ps5 can hardly run games at a playable framerate as it is

It's not the console, it's mostly the optimisation of games. Pretty much every ps5 game i've played has been perfectly fine apart from a few like Gotham Knights.

• 2 weeks later...

I am starting to lean towards no. Sony should probably just skip the PS5 Pro and concentrate on a PS6 instead. PS5 games with terrible frame rates are either badly optimized, or a case of the developer not knowing the limits (trying to use Ultra graphics settings on PS5). PS5 game devs should use AMD's FSR, FidelityFX Super Resolution.

At least Ubisoft wisely didn't attempt to use ray tracing in their PS5 port of Far Cry 6. If RT is used, it shouldn't be done without FSR.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The new PS5 has been reduced in volume by more than 30%, and weight by 18% and 24% compared to the previous models. There are four separate cover panels, with the top portion in a glossy look, while the bottom remains in matte. If you purchase the PS5 Digital Edition, you can add the Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Drive for PS5 later, as it will also be sold separately for 79.99 USD | 119.99 EURO | 99.99 GBP | 11,980 JPY.

The new PS5 model will be available starting this November in the U.S. at select local retailers and direct.playstation.com where available. It will continue to roll out globally in the following months. Once inventory of the current PS5 model has sold out, the new PS5 will become the only model available. 

More info here: https://blog.playstation.com/2023/10/10/new-look-for-ps5-console-this-holiday-season/