Microsoft deletes unobtainable achievement from game

Abby_TheLastofUs

Should Sony start deleting trophies that are unobtainable and won't be patched?  

457 members have voted

1. 1. Should Sony start deleting trophies that are unobtainable and won't be patched?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but only if they aren't removed from people that got such trophies before they became unobtainable.
    • Only for games published by Sony. The original developer/publisher should be the only ones to make changes to a trophy list.

Yes, they absolutely should nuke these knackered trophies out of existence but it should only apply to new games going forward, else you risk opening up a whole other can of worms if you start doing it retroactively to older games.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 3

The 3rd option makes no sense. How can people have earned an unobtainable trophy? I think you mean discontinued. Nothing that's simply discontinued should be removed.

I think it's a little different with Sony. With Xbox they can theoretically just have the game go below 1K gamerscore. With Sony, do you delete the platinum too? I imagine reconfiguring the Plat would be a whole lot more work than just deleting trophies. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Floorkiller74 said:

The 3rd option makes no sense. How can people have earned an unobtainable trophy? I think you mean discontinued. Nothing that's simply discontinued should be removed.

I was referring to both server shutdowns and trophies that become unobtainable after a patch, that the devs never get around to fixing. 

• Like 3

I don't see why the developer in this case couldn't go back to try to fix the achievement, unless I'm missing something that the article doesn't explain. Couldn't this set a precedent for developers to be lazy and resort to asking MS/Sony to nuke broken achievements/trophies instead of taking the time to fix them? 

On the surface this might seem like a great move to many people but I'm a little conflicted and need more information about it before making my mind up. Some positives to it for sure, but also some potential negatives. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Alchemist said:

I don't see why the developer in this case couldn't go back to try to fix the achievement, unless I'm missing something that the article doesn't explain. Couldn't this set a precedent for developers to be lazy and resort to asking MS/Sony to nuke broken achievements/trophies instead of taking the time to fix them? 

On the surface this might seem like a great move to many people but I'm a little conflicted and need more information about it before making my mind up. Some positives to it for sure, but also some potential negatives. 

Devs are definitely capable of fixing broken trophies - the game Disintegration actually had 3 online trophies completely changed to offline trophies (complete with new descriptions and goals) when the game's online servers shut down, keeping the plat wholly obtainable. Was pretty cool of them to do, even if the game itself apparently wasn't that great.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Floorkiller74 said:

I think it's a little different with Sony. With Xbox they can theoretically just have the game go below 1K gamerscore. With Sony, do you delete the platinum too? I imagine reconfiguring the Plat would be a whole lot more work than just deleting trophies. 

There is a trophy on Little Deviants (NA) for responding to an online score challenge however it is glitched and now only people who last played the game in 2012 can be used to send a challenge. Soon enough every single possible person will be unable to help, and since its a vita title no patches. 

I agree that a platinum could make things more difficult though. What would happen if someone had every trophy other than the unobtainable one(s)?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, LastMinuteSavior said:

police-coco.gif

eassnity my reaction.

this is interesting and nice for xbox players to finally complete that game.

The only downside i see to this is that there may be a rift between devs and sony/Microsoft as they the devs may feel that Microsoft is intruding on what should be *their* problem

Very unlikely Sony will take the effort to do this. Take the aforementioned Dragon Fin Soup as an example. The plat has a 1.3% rarity on PSN, meaning people have earned it. "Obviously cheaters," you would say, and I would agree. But is Sony going to take the time to investigate whether the earners are legit? Snowball's chance, IMO.

Edited by RNumbers