Microsoft deletes unobtainable achievement from game

Abby_TheLastofUs

Should Sony start deleting trophies that are unobtainable and won't be patched?  

457 members have voted

1. 1. Should Sony start deleting trophies that are unobtainable and won't be patched?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but only if they aren't removed from people that got such trophies before they became unobtainable.
    • Only for games published by Sony. The original developer/publisher should be the only ones to make changes to a trophy list.

7 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Interesting. I think MS has always treated achievements more seriously than PS did trophies. Doubt things will change here, though at least it should improve things some on the third party end.

They did come up with the idea first

sony was adapting to what they did and then made their own system, it’ll probably happen..eventually

didnt xbox have name changes first too?

• Like 1

If Sony does this, they should either mark the trophy to say that it's no longer required for the platinum or have the unobtainable trophies pop either when you first start the game or when you earn the last non platinum trophy. Flat out removing the trophy would just cause more issues.

• Like 2

i vote for:

Yes, but only if they aren't removed from people that got such trophies before they became unobtainable.

The Problem is on the Gamescore MS just adjust the Score and you still gett 100%, while Sony have a whole other System, based on earning EVERY Trophy in the Base Game to get 100% or Platinum. If SONY deletes Trophys from that list, they also need to change the requieremtns for 100%/Platinum. Maybe its just simple and i give to much thoughts on this part.

Because you will have unlock all other trophies, if the unobtainable are deleted.

Anyway im for ths Option, since new Players would likely play more older title if they have no fear for unobtainable trophies anymore <3

I Vote yes would love Sony to be able to do this, Games that would defo need it are Dragon Fin Soup,Nail'd dlc,Burn Zombie Burn Dlc  amongst many others, still Devs should just damn fix it so this isn't a issue

2 hours ago, LorenzoLame said:

If the trophy is buggy, the developers should fix it. If the trophy requires you to play online and the servers are closed, you missed your chance to get the platinum. 

Totes agree.

3rd scenario though: trophy is bugged but developer went bankrupt/disappeared from the face of the earth -> Sony steps in and fixes it.

Great success!

bec8e2ed103b43eeb6ffd9b9ae6ac75d_w200.gif

• Like 3

Amazing how this morphed into yet another "I want to delete my 1% lists" rally. Personally, I thing if I trophy was NEVER obtainable, it should be removed, or autopopped (Though why not just fix it at that point). I would absolutely be against deleting anything that was ever obtainable, but I guess lots people here seem to want fake 100% profiles. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Floorkiller74 said:

Amazing how this morphed into yet another "I want to delete my 1% lists" rally. Personally, I thing if I trophy was NEVER obtainable, it should be removed, or autopopped (Though why not just fix it at that point). I would absolutely be against deleting anything that was ever obtainable, but I guess lots people here seem to want fake 100% profiles. 

Who says we want 100% profiles? I'm happy with A-B grades on my games. Platinums are nice but hard work sometimes. I'll only commit to them if I'm all-in on the game in question. Not necessarily fond of random 1% lists from games I never intended on playing to completion. 

17 minutes ago, borntodave said:

Who says we want 100% profiles? I'm happy with A-B grades on my games. Platinums are nice but hard work sometimes. I'll only commit to them if I'm all-in on the game in question. Not necessarily fond of random 1% lists from games I never intended on playing to completion. 

Because many people have stated this before. Glad that's not you, but I personally don't think anything once obtainable should be removed. It's just disingenuous. 

Christ... no thank you.

That sounds like a good way to re-ignite a whole bunch of atelophobia in people with more compulsive tendencies - many of whom were only freed from those feelings by the presence of unobtainable on their profiles in the first place.

• Like 3

On 6/2/2023 at 1:40 PM, MrTacos98 said:

If a trophy is glitched and has never been obtainable and the developers can't/won't fix it, then it absolutely should be removed.

What is the timetable for this? Many trophies have been bugged and later fixed. 

Sony should just update their TOS for developers that a game must be confirmed trophy complete day 1 release or the game isn't allowed on PSN, ala Cyberpunk. Would save a lot of trouble and headache than this arbitrary analyzation of individual trophies. 

Edited by Startyde

Lots of terrible takes in here.

You guys are under the impression devs and Sony even realize trophies exist. Trophies are such a niche thing. Why would they care about them? If every trophy hunter boycotted a certain game 100%, the dev wouldn't even feel it.

So statements like "if the dev doesn't even care about their game...", are so hyperbolic, it's fantastical. Just because a dev doesn't fix a trophy doesn't mean they don't care about their game. It means they don't have the resources to devote to fixing something that only effects 0.001% of their player base. 

Some of you have a lot to learn about life. Not every little thing can be catered for every individual. 

• Like 1

My only quarrel is why’d it take 14 years for this to be a thing…

Side note, why no option to decide whether or not to install a trophy set when starting a new game, would free up their network so much if half of Sonys users no longer had a use for alt accs just to try out new games 

Sony need to follow this right away, but it’s up to us to make noise 

• Like 1

This is rare, right? 
So Sony should follow suit and delete one trophy like XBox?

The article asks whether this will become the norm for Xbox not will one move by Xbox become what Sony should do from no on.

Now, this begs the question: would Microsoft be willing to delete more unobtainable achievements from games, providing the developer asks? 

39 minutes ago, Shmeefly said:

My only quarrel is why’d it take 14 years for this to be a thing…

Side note, why no option to decide whether or not to install a trophy set when starting a new game, would free up their network so much if half of Sonys users no longer had a use for alt accs just to try out new games 

Sony need to follow this right away, but it’s up to us to make noise 

Cute you think more then 1% of playstation users care about what trophy lists they have on profiles

Btw I don't like the idea

Trophy data is also interisting on it's own

You can see quit moments across whole platform or popular decisions vs less popular 

What if you decide after finishing you want trophies now? Like you found out you like the game?

Should it autopop now or delete your saves so you cannot get trophies out of order?

Edited by WiktorM101

So Xbox deleted an unobtainable achievement AND relocated the gamerscore to still be 1000G. How would that work on PSN? Would they change a bronze trophy to a silver one? It sounds messier to do that on PS.

In my opinion, from best to worst, I think they should: 

1.- Change any unobtainable trophies' requirements to something else, preferably of similar difficulty and time needed, that you have to then unlock. If that's too much work or not possible for whatever reason. They should...

2.- Make any unobtainable trophies pop upon booting the game. Making them pop after you get all obtainable trophies, and then, having the plat pop, could be too troublesome to implement. You would need to turn the unobtainables into "platinum trophies", detecting when all the obtainable ones have been obtained. I could be wrong about this, though.

3.- Delete the unobtainable trophies, but not from any accounts that obtained them before. 100% would be achievable then, even if with less trophies/trophy points.

I believe that there should be no unobtainable trophies at all. So, broken trophies that have never been obtainable AND trophies that were obtainable at one point but not anymore due to server shutdowns, patches that broke them, certain features or modes being discontinued, etc. should all be fixed. I don't get this idea of "if you weren't there at the time you missed your chance". No, someone who was born in 2010 and in 13 years likes trophy hunting should be able to earn trophies from 2009 games. Even less feeling good about having "exclusive" trophies no one can obtain anymore. Yeah, that's nice and all, but they should still be obtainable.

For all of this to happen, Sony would have to go through the work of confirming every unobtainable trophy. Perhaps they should allow for people to tell them which ones are unobtainable.

4 hours ago, Kittens Are Awesome said:

Some of you have a lot to learn about life.

And you just learned that if you're gonna act condescending and talk down on others you better be absolutely sure what you're saying is 100% correct and indisputable, otherwise you're the one who ends up getting schooled, like @The Alchemist just taught you.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Startyde said:

What is the timetable for this? Many trophies have been bugged and later fixed. 

Sony should just update their TOS for developers that a game must be confirmed trophy complete day 1 release or the game isn't allowed on PSN, ala Cyberpunk. Would save a lot of trouble and headache than this arbitrary analyzation of individual trophies. 

I'd say the timetable should be at most 30 days after release. It's ridiculous that sometimes we wait months or even a year or more before a trophy is fixed. And sometimes, they just never get fixed at all.