Gearbox is up for Sale

kidson2004

https://x.com/ign/status/1701207986851520545?s=46&t=EHTY88eMXIaMBW2YLFA8Vg

https://www.ign.com/articles/borderlands-developer-gearbox-reportedly-up-for-sale

“Reuters reports Gearbox parent company Embracer is weighing up its options, one of which is a sale. Apparently Embracer has received interest from a number of third-parties. Neither Embracer nor Gearbox have issued comment.

Embattled Embracer is currently undergoing a significant restructuring that has already seen the closure of Volition, the long-running studio behind the Saints Row series.

Earlier this year, Embracer announced it would start to close studios and cancel games as a $2 billion deal reportedly with Saudi government funded company Savvy Games Group fell through at the last moment.”

oh boy, and people are already calling for M$ to buy the company. Here we go folks. 

edit: not sure why the tweet is t showing up like it did before when I copied and pasted a link. If someone can fix this, that’ll be great. 

Edited by kidson2004
  • Like 1

I doubt M$ will make any major acquisitions before the Activision deal is complete and for a time after, as they will probably face some challenges over monopoly fears.

This has Sony written all over it. No doubt that they are going to want more high-profile FPS games in their lineup, not to mention they are looking at live-service games in general. Borderlands would be a great pickup for them.

• Like 1

Gearbox have been in the toilet for years due to running all their franchises and potential franchises into the ground - maybe this sale will knock some sense into them. For the longest time I was an unapologetic Gearbox Fanboy but after most of the OG employees left the company for various known and unknown reasons, the quality of their output went right down the toilet so now I find it very difficult to defend any of their recent decisions :(. To be honest, I'd rather the IPs were sold off to more talented and competent developers who better understand them, then have Gearbox continue as-is and further run them in to the ground :(.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

I doubt M$ will make any major acquisitions before the Activision deal is complete and for a time after, as they will probably face some challenges over monopoly fears.

This has Sony written all over it. No doubt that they are going to want more high-profile FPS games in their lineup, not to mention they are looking at live-service games in general. Borderlands would be a great pickup for them.

Maybe if they pick it up they could also... finish up the borderlands movie. I mean Sony likes making movies :3 

I hate this whole thing with Sony and Microsoft being in an arms race to buy everyone up...but...I need Sony to grab this one. While I'm disappointed with Borderlands 3, and to a lesser extent Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, I still want Borderlands 4...I can't have that be an Xbox exclusive too. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

Gearbox have been in the toilet for years due to running all their franchises and potential franchises into the ground - maybe this sale will knock some sense into them. For the longest time I was an unapologetic Gearbox Fanboy but after most of the OG employees left the company for various known and unknown reasons, the quality of their output went right down the toilet so now I find it very difficult to defend any of their recent decisions :(. To be honest, I'd rather the IPs were sold off to more talented and competent developers who better understand them, then have Gearbox continue as-is and further run them in to the ground :(.

True, gearbox is kind of worthless without access to the borderlands franchise since the only other viable franchises they have are duke nukem(has potential as forevers problems were inherited from its development hell and a fresh new duke game with a competent team that wasn't cobbled together from the remnants of failed builds would probably fair much better) and brothers in arms(supposedly a new game is in development and the games were pretty well received). If anybody other then take two buys them they would probably be buying a wet fart as most of thier other franchises aside from borderlands and brothers in arms were flops so unless take two sells publishing rights to borderlands it might not be a wise aquisition.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Silocia said:

PS fans lose Bethesda but gain borderlands

"We" don't win anything out of it, we lost Bethesda and maybe have the chance to keep playing Borderlands.

The same amount of games than before.

Edited by Jeanolt

7 minutes ago, Teh_DDgamez said:

I mean... imagine whoever buys it makes a new Brothers in arms with decent/high budget, that would be amazing! Maybe even a collection for the current generation console.

I severely miss Brothers in Arms. It was my very first basic history lesson of WWII and I was blown away as a kid.

It's apparently in the works. No idea how this'll alter production, if at all.

• Like 1