Best way to work through a backlog?

So this year I’m planning to make a huge dent to my backlog. I have so many digital games that I’ve bought or from PS+, as well as quite a few physicals from Vita, PS3, PS4 & PS5.

My approach, I think will be to knock out the shorter games first, before tackling the longer ones.

How would you all approach it?

i do 1 game at a time i unlocked 2 platinum trophies this month i wil keep doing that way 1 game at a time it does not matter wich games you do first i do the legend of dragoon ps4 once that is done then i move to the next game that is how i do my backlog 👍👍and i dont start any new games my older games are important to me now 

• Like 2

What i do personally is that i check the last chance to play section and finish whatever games there are + focus on what new game is about to release and finish the game before it (if it's a sequel) if it's a new ip i play whatever that same studio has done before. Nothing crazy though so it's just me

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PHIL_DADDY1 said:

My approach, I think will be to knock out the shorter games first, before tackling the longer ones.

How would you all approach it?

Make yourself a list of every game in your backlog. Including the time to complete them and the difficulty. It makes it easier to decide what to tackle next. It will probably be the best to alternate between short and long games. 

Do not give yourself any deadline. 

Do not force yourself to play 1 game at a time, especially if something you have started isn't clicking with you right now. Staying committed to one game when you are getting tired of it isn't productive. 

Here is a couple of good videos on the topic.

Spoiler

• Like 3

Hey there,

First of all good luck for your objectif, it's anice one !

There are two differents imo :

First one, you just wanna unlock a lot of trophies in a short period of time. In this case your approach seems to be the best.

The second one would be to Alternate between fast games and a long one time to time. It could be a pain to do a lot of long games in a row especially if you don't really like them (only if you want to clean up your games, if you don't really care about racing some games at low % just play the one you want to :))

• Like 1

Everybody's advice and experiences is going to be different because it varies depending on what kind of person you are. Here's my (barely working) process:

- Define what you mean by "completed". Story completion, 100%/platinum, or just "played until I didn't want to anymore". This allows you to have a clear point at which to strike a game from your list.

- I would say make a list, but really, PS5 and PS4 got you covered because you can just use your library and make any game you finished invisible. PS3 and Vita will need a list made, though.

- Still, prioritize. Maybe short games first, maybe easy ones, maybe short and easy ones, or maybe just ones you expect to be really good. But don't stick to the order in that list, because if you want to finish this, it helps  to actually have fun

- While you're at it, there might be games  you do not end up wanting to play, especially games  from Plus. Just strike them.

- Keep an eye on online services ending. You ight want to prioritize games  with online trophies before they shut down.

-Have a running task. This will depend on how you define "completion" and on how you game, because the goal will  be some fraction of a completion in a given time. E.g. I aim for at least one trophy every day and one game done each week. By contrast, this would not be feasible  with a backlog that is made up of sprawling RPGs, thus the goals need to fit you and your library.

• Like 2

I recently cleared my backlog and I prioritized games where servers were closing first, as you have a deadline there.

Then focusing on games with multiplayer components, as they often take more time to complete (might need to organize or wait for boost sessions etc).

Then I just went from oldest game to newest game.

• Like 1

I like to use the hour a day benchmark. If I dedicate an hour a day to the backlog, I will complete 3.5 100-hour games or 36.5 10-hour games for the year. Just keep in mind your backlog probably isn’t going down unless you dedicate more time. You get 36 PS+ Essential games for the year and then you have Extra and Premium on top of that if you subscribe. Those will probably take priority as they are time limited. 

• Like 2

in regards to older consoles definitely have notifications for  

if a game you have on backlog has a upcoming server shut down then that becomes a priority 

also I try and play at least one new game while tackling backlog and also play at least one of PS plus essential titles jsut so does not get too big a backlog 

also if hating a backlog game put it away and start another one 

• Like 3

I've organized my backlog in a game list using PSP+, the I pick a random game (using PSP+) and play it until I get all trophies or get tired of it. But sometimes I really want to play a game in my list, so I play it. We can't became slaves of a video game hahaha. 

• Like 1

Try to stay away from service games. Either giant open world games with tons of DLC like assassins creed valhalla or grindgames like monster hunter, minecraft dungeon (why did i have to spend 90h with this....). They tend to be giant timesinks that can keep your focus away from any progress and at least in my experience are often elss enjoyment dense than alot of other games you probably have in your backlog.

other than that just play them one buy one. i usually have 2-3 project running in parallel to have a for example a racing game and a shooter to choose from or have a game i play alone and one i play with a friend when we both have time. With a bit of focus on your goals (can be trophies or just finishing the story) you can get throught a lot of games quiet quickly.

one more thing. dont do quick things first and long things last. at least for me mixing them up i much nicer. i tend to play along one followed buy a medium and a short one and somewhat rotate throught. this also stops me from buying more games because i am in the mood to play something quick again and not having something available

• Like 1

I'm finding mixing it up is the best method. Don't just focus on easy/short games, don't just focus on longer/harder games and don't totally neglect new games either. Play the games you're most interested in coming back to first and foremost. Once that becomes boring, play a new game you want to play, preferably one that you know you could get the plat on relatively easily so you don't add another unfinished game to your backlog. Which is easy since most newer games have very easy trophy lists. This greatly helps break up the monotony of tackling a backlog so you don't burn yourself out. 

And most importantly, don't treat it like it's a job. I tend to get into that mode myself and that's when you forget that this is supposed to be fun and if you aren't having fun with it then what's the point? It's good to be self-aware and realize your mindset going in so you don't develop a toxic obsession with this stuff. Are you turning on your console and playing this game just because you want those trophies even though you're not looking forward to it or do you actually truly want to play the game and trophies are just a bonus incentive? It should be the latter and not the former. 

• Like 1

Of course it will depend on your personal approach to tackling games, but here are some suggestions to keep in mind:

• Prioritise games with co-op/multiplayer trophies, and try to at least get said trophies done.  You can always clean up the single-player stuff at a later date.
  • Don't rush through all of your quick games straight away.  Once you've finished 2 or 3 longer games, chances are that you'll want to relax with a short game before tackling the next big one.
  • If you have any games that were downloaded via PS+ Extra/Premium, then focus on them, as you will only have so long to play them before they are removed.
  • What's your definition for "completing" a game?  Are you satisfied with just getting the platinum or base 100%, or do you want to complete all the DLC as well?  Bear in mind that some games have DLC that will take many hours to beat (*cough* Battlefield Hardline *cough*), and you could likely plat another couple of games in that time.  Some DLC just isn't worth the time investment.
  • If you're not enjoying a game, don't be afraid to just leave it and move on.  You may not be able to complete everything, and that's fine.
  • Finally, don't be afraid to start a game that you're not confident of completing.  I started games like Street Fighter IV and V knowing full well that I would never platinum them, but I enjoy the SF games, so I just went in with the intention of having fun and not worrying about trophies.

Good luck!

• Like 1

The secret is, you don't! I speak from my experience but some people may agree with this statement, the more you try to pressure yourself into playing something, the more painful the experience will be. If I don't feel that "itch" to play something specific, I can usually play anything and be fine, but the moment I start thinking "I feel like playing Hitman 2...", every minute trying to play something that isn't Hitman is feeling like an eternity. So to combat this, I try not to buy a new game every time I see something cool. I do a bit of research, to value if the game is worth my time, and by doing so, even though I still have like 200+ games to finish just on PSN (not even counting Steam), I don't ever think about my backlog in a negative way. There's just only so many games I can work on at any given time, you have to prioritize some and leave others for later. Choosing games in advance to play through has never worked for me because of that itch thing. I may want to get back to a game and clean it up, but if in the meantime I feel the need to play something else, I will drop everything and do the other thing.

• Like 4

The best advice I could give is to not have a backlog. If you have, it means the amount of games left to play is limited, and you'll eventually run out of them, having nothing else to play (no one wants that).

Take it as movies, no one really "finishes" watching every movie they wanted, we just keep watching them, forever. Since we play videogames we tend to gamify the task of actually playing videogames, like if it were another task to be completed, and it doesn't make a lot of sense to be honest.

9 hours ago, IDiivil said:

Finally, keep in mind that there are things outside your control that will ultimately affect your project. You might die.

"While I thought I was learning to live, I have been learning how to die"

Edited by Jeanolt
  • Like 3

I use the mindset that backlogs are a chance at skill improvement. I'll determine the hardest games in the backlog and figure out what it takes to 100% them. From there I tackle games that give me muscle memory, reflex training etc so I can lead up to it.

I'm playing Binding of Issac as my hardest Rogue Like currently.

Before starting that though I knocked off Gods Will Fall -> Rogue Legacy 2 so I'd be fully capable of that sweet Issac 100%.