[Patched] Glitch Discovered Instant New Game+ Trophy

So I updated to the right version yesterday, powered down my PS5, and unplugged the ethernet. I started it up today - while still unplugged, but it won't let me load the game. How does it know to update without internet access? It's the only game that I cannot load up. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MilanYildirim said:

How can an offline game forces you to download the patch? That is super weird. I guess that ship has sailed

28 minutes ago, PortaLuna said:

So I updated to the right version yesterday, powered down my PS5, and unplugged the ethernet. I started it up today - while still unplugged, but it won't let me load the game. How does it know to update without internet access? It's the only game that I cannot load up. 

Seems to be a new thing with some games. Spider-Man 2 would not let me start even offline without installing the patch and WWE 2K24 I started downloading the new patch but cancelled it and it would not let me start the game even with the internet disconnected without downloading the patch first.

In theory, couldn't someone use the patch-downgrade method to get to specific patch containing the debug menu? I have never been in a situation where I needed to do the patch downgrade, so I'm not 100% sure how it works. I just remember it being a big deal when they screwed up the FF15 multiplayer nonsense. 

8 minutes ago, iamthedotcom said:

In theory, couldn't someone use the patch-downgrade method to get to specific patch containing the debug menu? I have never been in a situation where I needed to do the patch downgrade, so I'm not 100% sure how it works. I just remember it being a big deal when they screwed up the FF15 multiplayer nonsense. 

Sounds like the answer is no, if the game--by whatever means--identifies you're not using the latest version and refuses to launch.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gommes_ said:

So, is there any chance to use that glitch when owning the disc version? I guess not, right?

No chance for a PS5 game in particular as you need a specific version that's not what's on the disc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mattiechuu said:

Funny how THIS is the thing they patch immediately. When the game launched as a buggy mess and it took months for them to do anything about it. Oh insomniac... what happened?

What is probably the equivalent of commenting out a couple lines of code checking for a particular set of inputs should be much faster than fixing bugs that they couldn't figure out before launch. 

• Like 4

Well it's a good point given how many devs point to the arduous process of testing and uploading patches to Sony as rationale for not fixing (often relatively simple) issues. Comparing them to Insomniac may be apples and oranges, but I agree this stands out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DivineNocturne said:

That's the most backwards logic thing I've ever heard, you play a game that's a once and done no new game + mechanics to spice it up so youre slogging through a game you've already finished for a single trophy is not enjoyable to most.

I said a trophy is a bonus. If I enjoyed a game why not repeat it another day

Edited by Rikapadupu
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, iamthedotcom said:

Good luck doing that with a PS5 game. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

If the console is in rest mode, it's not all the way turned off and still connected to the internet. Sony may have sent a command to the console to not launch the game if it is on that specific version, even with the console in rest mode. I never usually put my console in rest mode, and I turned it on just now while disconnected from the internet and was able to launch into the game on patch 1.002 just fine

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, BlindMango said:

If the console is in rest mode, it's not all the way turned off and still connected to the internet. Sony may have sent a command to the console to not launch the game if it is on that specific version, even with the console in rest mode. I never usually put my console in rest mode, and I turned it on just now while disconnected from the internet and was able to launch into the game on patch 1.002 just fine

That wasn't my experience unfortunately, but my friend confirmed what you posted. He's in the same boat, however he hasn't even started playing the game so he's not sure if he'll have leaderboard issues here and other websites if he pops NG plus trophy before ever starting the game. Does anyone know the rules about stuff like that?

1 hour ago, Mattiechuu said:

Funny how THIS is the thing they patch immediately. When the game launched as a buggy mess and it took months for them to do anything about it. Oh insomniac... what happened?

Spiderman 2 lunched as a buggy mess? What game were you playing lol.

Edited by BrandedBerserk
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, PortaLuna said:

That wasn't my experience unfortunately, but my friend confirmed what you posted. He's in the same boat, however he hasn't even started playing the game so he's not sure if he'll have leaderboard issues here and other websites if he pops NG plus trophy before ever starting the game. Does anyone know the rules about stuff like that?

How would you pop NG+ "before ever starting the game"?

I believe you need a complete playthrough (either legit or also using the dev console) before you can even start a NG+.

EDIT: I'm guessing you mean getting NG+ essentially right after starting and then completing the game via dev console, in which case Blind Mango's answer above covers it pretty well.

Edited by RNumbers

4 hours ago, Mattiechuu said:

Sony forcing them to rush it out for the 2023 holiday happened?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mcnichoj said:

Sony forcing them to rush it out for the 2023 holiday happened?

*LittleBigPlanet 3 launch flashbacks*

• Like 1