Which Features Are Missing From The PS5 That You Want Back?

ddracarys

On 4/3/2024 at 11:42 PM, ddracarys said:

These are all great responses. I, too, miss the social/feed features of the PlayStation 4, and would regularly scroll through the new posts on there to upvote the platinum pops. I definitely agree that the PS5 feels isolated in comparison. We're going to give that intern a run for their money!

I forgot to add that I also miss the internet browser, I was genuinely shocked when I realised my PS5 had it missing...

The PS5 does have a hidden web browser, but it's very limited. If you go to Settings > Users and Accounts > Linked Accounts > Click on Apple Music. You'll see a "Use Browser" button on the bottom. As far as I can tell, there's no way to input your own web address anymore...you used to be able to by exploiting Twitter before Sony removed Twitter support.

Edited by Viper
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Matto_lsi said:

And until this standard feature is re-implemented, I never will. 

i have a feeling it'll never be reversed.

I hope I'm wrong though.

I've just accepted that I won't have backups for PS5 titles ;/

On 4/3/2024 at 2:55 PM, CylindricalStars said:

I miss the social aspect of the PS4 where I could see in a timeline what friends had been playing and which trophies they had achieved. You could 'like' activities and also post a comment. It made gaming feel a little bigger and I enjoyed seeing what everyone had been up to without having to go onto their profile and look at their recently played. On the PS5 it feels more isolated, and I also can't post a disappointed comment when a friend gets the 'My Name Is Mayo' platinum 🥲.

This is literally the only update  I care about. This feature actually got me into playing games that i otherwise wouldn't as i could see what my friends were playing and get some good reccommendations from peers. Yes you can always see what someone is doing live but its nowhere near the same.

With the societal push for social networking it is baffling that they left this off of PS5.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2024 at 1:44 PM, Viper said:

Media Player!

While the PS5 technically has one, it's so rudimentary and barely works. I have an external HDD full of stuff I watch, and most of it doesn't work on whatever the hell the PS5's media player thing is...so because of this I have to keep my PS4 Pro hooked up JUST for the media player. I'd like to finally retire the console, but I need it's media player. Figured by now the PS5 would not only have one, but have a better one that accepts mode audio codecs and supports h.265 video for 4K, but they just back tracked completely.

Also backing up saves to an external. This should just be standard at this point.

Does Plex not play local media? I always just stream from my PC, works flawlessly for 1080p (don't have a 4k tv). Even Plex on PS4 was infinitely better than it's native media player.

9 minutes ago, Milktastrophe said:

Does Plex not play local media? I always just stream from my PC, works flawlessly for 1080p (don't have a 4k tv). Even Plex on PS4 was infinitely better than it's native media player.

I don't know, these things seem to always work for everyone else but me. I've ALWAYS had issues where my media would stop and buffer, or just stop streaming completely...this is going back to the PS3 days when people thought I was weird for preferring to plug my external drive straight into the console and play my files from there. I never had interruptions that way. And I have great internet now (500Mbps and PS5 and PC are using Ethernet), but still have issues. So I just prefer the plug and play approach. The only real issue I ever had with the PS4 media player was the horrible Rewind/Fast Forward...it goes WAY too fast. 

It's so silly that we have all this supposed 'innovation' with modern technology and yet the newer the product the less they seem to be able to do out the box. From phones and tablets to games consoles, it's damn near anything. And then we get sold these back in updates or a new model as exciting new features and I'm sitting there thinking 'I could do this ten years ago'. My brother has a slightly newer phone and yet it requires a stylus for some kind of air gestures, acting like it's this new thing and yet my old phone could do that with my just my fingers and even tracks eye movement too... I thought we were past the stylus era by now xD

Sidetrack aside, thinking about PlayStation specifically I'm surprised when I'm reminded just how feature rich the PS3 was and how much we never even saw be re-added during the PS4 generation and now we have this fancy PS5 with yet more features dropped or made less convenient.

Ultimately games and accessing them quickly does come first for a gaming system and so I'm not too fixated on all the additional features but it's a disappointment to almost feel like we're going backwards in that department.

For a small feature I kinda missed and was reminded of in this thread was being able to sort alphabetically on trophies. I'm not even a trophy guy but that was my preferred sorting order. The options for themes as well was probably another much appreciated feature.

The media playing capabilities is one that I've seen quite a bit of decline generation by generation. Though it's not something I really used all that much, it's noticeable if ever I do consider doing so.

• Like 1

- A dedicated friends list, not some hidden menu titled Game Base

- A dedicated trophy Menu on the main menu . . . Again, I dont want to go through a Card or go to my profile to see trophies. It’s so annoying. 

- The social features of the PS4. Being able to see what friends were up to. Leave comments, see what trophies they got and games they played. This wasn’t used much on the PS4 because they didn’t expand upon this feature enough. 

- Communities. Wow, I cannot believe Sony did away with this feature. Every multiplayer game had its own dedicated LFG community. Clans had their own little private community to talk to each other as a group. There was a trophy hunting community. 

I have said this before and I will say it again. The PS4 has the best UI and features of all PlayStation’s. I love my PS5 but I find myself often wishing we had a PS4 UI. I wish they expanded on the features I mentioned above instead of giving us Cards, Game Help, The ability to follow games news that are very useless. 

Edited by TheWhiteMoose_
  • Like 3

On 4/4/2024 at 9:27 PM, Viper said:

The PS5 does have a hidden web browser, but it's very limited. If you go to Settings > Users and Accounts > Lined Accounts > Click on Apple Music. You'll see a "Use Browser" button on the bottom. As far as I can tell, there's no way to input your own web address anymore...you used to be able to by exploiting Twitter before Sony removed Twitter support.

If you want to go on the browser, send a message to a friend with www.bing.com in the message (I messaged a separate account of mine so it's the only message so I can always find it)

Turns into a hyperlink and then you can then search for any website you want. Used to work for www.google.com but Sony must have disabled that for whatever reason

This worked at least the last time I checked a few weeks ago

--------------

Edit

As of 7.11pm GMT www.bing.com works using messages

Funny that a Microsoft search engine  works on a Sony console, but they disabled Google...

Edited by downsideupuk
Spelling/More info
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, downsideupuk said:

If you want to go on the browser, send a message to a friend with www.bing.com in the message (I messaged a separate account of mine so it's the only message so I can always find it)

Turns into a hyperlink and then you can then search for any website you want. Used to work for www.google.com but Sony must have disabled that for whatever reason

This is really good to know, thank you for the pointers!

Being able to backup your saves to USB. Removing this was quite frankly a dick move from Sony, I've got PS Plus so I can use cloud saves but sometimes it'd be helpful to keep an extra backup just in case.

Also, I like to view my trophies in the order I've earned them and on PS4 the console remembers this choice but on PS5 I have to change the viewing order every time I boot up the console.

6 hours ago, Janire1911 said:

Also, I like to view my trophies in the order I've earned them and on PS4 the console remembers this choice but on PS5 I have to change the viewing order every time I boot up the console.

How strange, I don't seem to be having this issue myself. I'm unsure what could be causing it? :hmm: My system always remembers the last trophies I've earned, and sorts them as such on my trophy list.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ddracarys said:

How strange, I don't seem to be having this issue myself. I'm unsure what could be causing it? :hmm: My system always remembers the last trophies I've earned, and sorts them as such on my trophy list.

That's weird, I thought it would be like that for every user. I'll have to check if there's a setting or something that I've missed that causes the console to revert to the default viewing order every time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Janire1911 said:

That's weird, I thought it would be like that for every user. I'll have to check if there's a setting or something that I've missed that causes the console to revert to the default viewing order every time.

Definitely double check your settings, and also make sure you are on the latest software update for the console. I don't think I have heard of anybody else experiencing this issue (unless it's more wide spread than I realise), so hopefully this is an isolated incident that you can resolve.

Playing my CDs and ripping them to the console's SSD so I can listen to my own music whilst playing games, instead of being at the mercy of something like Spotify.

Though, this isn't that much of an issue for me, anyway. I unify my console audio and my PC audio to go to the same wireless headset, so it's fine.

• Like 3

Internet Browser: The bones are there.

Themes

Folders

CD Player: This is just pure greed and anti-consumer from Sony from the PS4 onward. Name me DVD/Blu-ray/UHD Blu-ray players that don't play CDs. I'm sure the percentage is pretty darn small.

Video, audio, and image storage: Not a big deal, but nice to have.

PS1/PS2/PS3 physical game backward compatibility: Even if only 5% of each library was supported on disc and on PSN that would be better than now.

What's New: It made the PS4 feel more alive. 

Auto-power off after downloads complete

USB save support: I've never used this, but it's a nice option. It's just Sony trying to sell more PS Plus subscriptions on why it's removed.

Your friend's trophies and your own trophies were far better to view on PS4 than PS5. Trophy viewing is a mess on PS5 compared to PS4. 

• Like 2

1. Folders

2. Video playback support

3. Web browser

4. A quick way to go to trophies

5. Backup saves

6. PS1 support (will never happen b/c of ps+ premium)

7. Ability to edit the home screen with items/games I want there and not to have to scroll past everything to get to my library.  Library should be quick access.

17 minutes ago, ddracarys said:

Definitely double check your settings, and also make sure you are on the latest software update for the console. I don't think I have heard of anybody else experiencing this issue (unless it's more wide spread than I realise), so hopefully this is an isolated incident that you can resolve.

For me it's been like this since I got the PS5 in 2021 so that's why I thought it's by design. One thing I thought about that might be causing it is that I've got system language set to Finnish so maybe that could be the reason. I'll try to change it to English and see if that fixes it, it's long shot but it's the only thing I can think of that would be different on my console from the majority of other PS5 users.

Edited by Janire1911
  • Like 1

On 4/4/2024 at 2:36 PM, Matto_lsi said:

This, and only this.  I can live without the other things mentioned here (in most cases, I couldn't care less).  But not being able to back-up my own saves, I mean really?  WTF Sony?  So far I have not and will not purchase a PS5.  And until this standard feature is re-implemented, I never will.  It's 2024, I can even back-up files from my phone onto a USB stick directly with the adapter that comes standard in the box, and I can't back-up PS5 saves?  Gimme a break...

use the cloud?

i mean… u already sub to plus 

9 minutes ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

use the cloud?

i mean… u already sub to plus 

While the cloud is great, and a feature I personally rely on often, having more options never hurts... Especially options which were available on models considered "last generation". It doesn't make much sense on Sony's part to have removed this feature.

58 minutes ago, ChiefMichigan said:

CD Player: This is just pure greed and anti-consumer from Sony from the PS4 onward. Name me DVD/Blu-ray/UHD Blu-ray players that don't play CDs.

Also this is hilarious considering CD and Vinyl revenue are at the highest point in this century, because of artists like Taylor Swift who still push for physical, and special editions.

I love collecting CDs and it's a shame, although at least I can listen in Spotify which is nice. The problem is that not everyone is subbed to Spotify.

Edited by Jeanolt
  • Like 1