Stop killing games: Call to action for all owners of The Crew and everyone else. Use politics to end predatory practices. Possible to SET A PRECEDENT for OWNING rather than LICENSING #GoodOldDays

4 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

The Crew is a decade old game. Move on, the game is dead.

Some ppl never hold themselves accountable for buying a game and not playing it for years

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

From the site:

Spoiler

This site is dedicated to real-world action on ending the practice of publishers destroying videogames they have sold to customers. 

An increasing number of videogames are sold as goods, but designed to be completely unplayable for everyone as soon as support ends. The legality of this practice is untested worldwide, and many governments do not have clear laws regarding these actions. It is our goal to have authorities examine this behavior and hopefully end it, as it is an assault on both consumer rights and preservation of media. We are pursuing this in two ways:

Action on "The Crew"

The videogame "The Crew", published by Ubisoft, was recently destroyed for all players and had a playerbase of at least 12 million people. Due to the game's size and France's strong consumer protection laws, this represents one of the best opportunities to hold a publisher accountable for this action. If we are successful in charges being pressed against Ubisoft, this can have a ripple effect on the videogames industry to prevent publishers from destroying more games.

Government Petitioning

Official government petitions have been introduced to prohibit the practice of intentionally rendering commercial videogames inoperable when support ends. Currently, petitions for the United Kingdom, Canada, and Australia have been launched and will soon be open for signing. Plans are also underway for the European Union, but will unfortunately be delayed due to processing times. Further government petitions may be started later with enough assistance.

FAQ:

Spoiler

What we are asking for is that they implement an end-of-life plan to modify or patch the game so that it can run on customer systems with no further support from the company being necessary. 

They want enforce by law devs to implement self-hosted servers for any and all online components (just patch it in when they announce a shut down - it’s so simple and so easy according to them!) and also enforce by law the online portion of games to populate with bots so games can continue, even if just one player plays for any period of time. 

Can’t say I agree with this approach/demand. I agree with requiring reasonable amounts of time for a server/online component shutdown (6 months minimum), but forcing it to be accessible by forcing developers to retrofit self-hosted server functionality, when the game has probably gone dirt cheap and likely only has trophy boosters after years of being inactive, or people paid more but sat on it, seeing it has online components when they purchased it but waiting significant amounts of time before trying, doesn’t seem like the appropriate reaction. 

Law has a concept called Standing that someone has to establish in order for their grievances to be considered. I just don’t see this case having the standing for these demands. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, DynoDux said:

What people want is...

i) 100% transparency from the company before deciding to purchase a game (e.g. servers will close in 2024 rendering the game completely unplayable).

ii) If servers close, a final patch/update should be added that allows players to continue playing offline.

1. is hard to deliver when the game is running for as long as the company is considering it profitable and then when it isnt they switch it of.

2. why would that be necessary? To satisfy a loud minority alone investing development time to make a game from server based to P2P and go bughunting again because it needs to be somewhat stable to avoid legal action for not being technically sufficient for the post-close-gaming world...

Online games need to have a reasonable end of life, so the companies can continue producing new stuff.

I've unlocked the platinum  few months ago so I'm not mad about the shutdown.

Jokes aside. You know, nothing lasts forever, accept and move on. I mean I hate always online games too or a shutdown here and there but we can't change it, lige goes on so just play and enjoy video games??

btw one thing which is more important. We need a new survey for the BO2 Big League Trophy. #Completionist

It's better to have loved and lost, than never loved at all.

Don't be mad that it's over, be happy that it happened.

Some food for thought. Usually these things are said about significant others, but I guess some people need to hear it about video games now... that's where we're at...

Edited by KingGuy420
  • Like 1

Game preservation is an important topic for sure, gaming has one of the most butchered and disposable histories in terms of cataloging and recording vs almost every other entertainment medium. So I don't necessarily disagree with the intent behind the post and the video.

But it's pretty clear this post specifically, is less about that and more about being salty that The Crew has gone away.

• Like 2

Servers have been going offline since the 90s, in terms of gaming. Anyone alive today has seen it happen across the industry. 

People know the practice and choose to still buy the game. Whining about it afterwards is nothing more than a cry for attention.

If a grown man is going to whine for 30 minutes on the internet, maybe it's time for a new hobby.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

You buy an online game,  you buy into that risk knowingly. The game stopped being sold months before the shutdown, so I doubt you have any chance of being taken seriously. This is way more than not only  many other server shutdowns (we could talk about Mirror's Edge Catalyst still  being sold  AFTER the servers for online features went down), but also more than most other services shutting down in any area. There's  no way this can be considered predatory practices.

And I don't think any court will rule otherwise unless you get one that have no idea what they're judging on. Which, admittedly, does happen.

Ultimately, you're being Karens.

• Confused 2

Just now, OmegaRejectz said:

So because that’s the way it was & is that’s the way it should always be?

Doesn't matter if I think something should be happening  or not be, the reality is that this is industry standard.

Again if people don't like it, find a new hobby.