What video game has told the best romance story for you?

Eraezr

I've briefly played some of the Steins; Gate and related games but only put approx 2 hours into them so really need to go back and finish them :(. As for the subject in hand, the 3 best romance games I've played in the last decade are the following :):

• Song of Memories
  • A Winter's Daydream
  • The Language of Love

I'd be remised if I didn't also mention Catherine, FF7 and 9.

Honourable mentions go to the following:

• Maitetsu Pure Station
  • Sakura Succubus Franchise
  • Big Dipper
Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 3

Life is Strange: True Colors. You get to make the choice between Steph or Ryan for Alex to date. They do a really good job making it hard to choose between them.

I went with Steph personally and I thought that ended up being such an amazing choice. I was so invested in their relationship and the chemistry that they had. 

• Like 2

I agree with Life is Strange True Colours. I would say LiS but many people conflicts with Chloe's personality. 

The relationship with Steph is soo good and it flows naturally, the other guy not so much since it feels it's like 10 years older lol

• Like 1

I’m voting for Catherine. Absolutely fantastic story and characters. It also helped with my mental health as I was going through the end of a relationship.

Romantic horror is not a genre I expected, but one that I’m overjoyed exists. Lol

Edited by SmileSlice
Corrected spelling and grammar.
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, SmileSlice said:

I’m voting for Catherine. Absolutely fantastic story and characters. It also helped with my mental health as I was going through the end of a relationship.

Romantic horror is not a genre I expected, but one that I’m overjoyed exists. Lol

Wish we got more games like it, tbh.

Definitely biased but it is one of my favorites of all time, and there aren't many other games that scratch the itch it does for me. Plus the VA cast is stacked, which always helps

• Like 1

Looking through my played games and thinking about games I played on other consoles in the past, I came to realize - there aren't that many games with a focus on a romantic story or relationship, apart from Final Fantasy or Tales of games.

That's outrageous!

Or maybe I'm just playing the wrong games 😂

• Haha 2

Persona Q comes to mind. The relationship between Rein and Zen is actually adorable. You don't really see a lot of romance between them, but you can see they enjoy being around each other. I'll ignore the rest since it's heavy spoilers, but they're probably one of the few romances where I felt a genuine connection between the two. Granted, I'm probably missing others, but because I don't really enjoy romance in videogames, but this was adorable enough to make me smile.

The first games that came to mind when I read the title of this thread was The Last of Us. Both games have an excellent portrayal of familial love, on just how far somebody may go for the people they unconditionally love and consider family. Within the blanket of grief portrayed in The Last of Us 2, there is also a profound view of self reflection and love, to be found within oneself, too. I find these themes of love much more grounded than the otherwise "mandatory" feel of romance in games like Mass Effect, Life is Strange and Dragon Age.

• Like 3