Most Recent Platinum

Muff

1L1dd0af.png

:platinum: Platinum :platinum:

Congratulations!

Batman: Arkham Origins

As I reflect on my time with this game, I can't help but consider that it was only on a whim that I even decided to get it. I mean, multiplayer? In an Arkham game? I had some serious concerns that WB Montreal would tweak the formula too much; deteriorate a combat system that was as close to perfect as I think any third-person combat system will ever be.

Well... 

Let's get this out of the way first. The multiplayer deserves every ounce of criticism thrown at it. It is, at best, an interesting concept. At worst, it is a product of yet another publisher stepping in and adding an unnecessary and uninspired feature to an already wildly popular and successful franchise. For one, it barely functions. Public matches REQUIRE a full lobby of 8 people to begin. You can be waiting hours and never see a public match. The gameplay is woefully generic, there was only a single game mode at launch (one has since been added - my cup runneth over!), and the balance just seems off. You can't choose which faction you play as, and it's easy to be forced into playing as the heroes. It just... doesn't work.

BUT.

The multiplayer should in no way sway you from playing this game. The campaign is fantastic, and tells one of the best Batman stories in the lore. The voice acting is just terrific. People bitching about the lack of Kevin Conroy need to f'ing get over themselves. Roger Craig Smith does a superb job as the dark knight, but is overshadowed by the almost unbelievable performance that Troy Baker hands in as the Joker. I mean... if you didn't know that it wasn't Mark Hamill, I'm not sure you would be able to tell the difference. 

Perhaps the best thing I can say about this game is that it's more of the same. I loved the first two Arkham games, and even though this one required 3 playthroughs and more challenges than the others, I found myself eating it up anyway. Yes, the fighting system was tweaked (and not always for the better, be patient) but the additions far outweigh the issues. And all of the issues (or perceived issues) are easily overcome with tweaks to your combat style. Much like Batman adapting his strategy for the situation, so does the player need to adapt. Most of the things that I thought were problems with the combat system at first turned out to be problems with me.

So, the good: I loved the idea of the martial arts master enemy type. This really expands the combat and forces you to be ready instead of just going through the motions. These enemies take two counters when they attack you, but more importantly, can counter your strikes. Improper timing and not paying attention against a martial arts master will ruin your combo every time. I also loved the Venom enemies and Brutes in this game - enemies that require you to build up a combo and use special takedowns to make them vulnerable. These enemies reward good gameplay. 

And then, there was the not-so-good. Enemy types look too similar, which can sometimes make it difficult to plan your next move. This is of particular concern in a large fight late in the game against 30 dudes in orange jumpsuits, who are a mixture of enemy types. Another issue I have is that enemies seem to time their strikes almost perfectly in this game so that their attacks are unblockable. I usually stick with the strike/evade/repeat style and this still presented at times. Sometimes the counter icon will display when an enemy is out of countering range. Why? Beatdowns are more difficult in this game too. During a beatdown you might have to counter 3-4 other enemies in the middle of it. More than once it took so long to do a beatdown that the stunned enemy actually became unstunned. 

Some problems from Arkham City persist in this game, but it's hard to fault WBM for not fixing them. Enemies will continue to glide towards you as if on ice skates and strike you from a considerable distance away. Some of Batman's moves still leave him completely vulnerable (i.e. you cannot counter from one) and are thus discouraged from use. With the right combat strategies though, these problems can be avoided completely. 

I actually went back and replayed some of the combat challenges from Arkham Asylum after this to get a feel for how the system has changed since the first game. And honestly, wow. The difference was stark. I can confidently say that the combat in City and Origins is far superior. It's smoother and more responsive now. 

In truth, if you are looking for an excuse to skip a fantastic game that is, in my opinion, unfairly criticized, then by all means, bitch about the multiplayer like someone is forcing you to play it. Bitch about Roger Craig Smith like Kevin Conroy has done the voice of Batman in every medium ever. Bitch about Warner Brothers like they decided to rebuild the engine from the ground up.

Or, you can play and discover what I did. That this is an Arkham game worthy of the name. 

/fin

love Arkham Origins! It's one of my favourite games of all time, and I'm lucky to be one of the people that actually liked the multiplayer.

Also, a great mini-review. You weren't to critical, or bias. You flat-out said where the game shines, and where it doesn't. And you are the first person to review this game and told the haters to STFU about Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill not being in the game. That I applaud you for. Great mini-review man! 

• Like 3