Most Recent Platinum

Muff

4 hours ago, StraightVege said:

Le79407.png

1L6ae8e8.png

Platinum Trophy

:platinum:  #351

Greetings! With everything going on lately, I haven't felt motivated to play much of anything, or to continue writing these lengthy posts. Since my utter lack of mental energy and free time has long had me contemplating a large reduction in the number of hours I spend here, and considering that I'm not terribly fond of the recent forum update, this seems like as good a moment as any to step away from it, so perhaps this will be the last one I do for the foreseeable future. By now, I must've made well over 100 posts in this thread, and it's just not that interesting to me anymore. But, how about one more for the road? While the last thing I feel like doing currently is writing this, if I don't force myself to get back into my hobbies somehow, I'm only going to sink ever deeper into depression. Therefore, here comes another meandering post from a mediocre writer, detailing my thoughts about a game starring a horror writer with actual talent: Alan Wake Remastered.

Although I've never owned any model of Xbox, it was common for me to play the big Microsoft exclusives on my brother's console in the past (it feels like another life now), with which I finished all the main entries in the Halo and Gears franchises. One title in his collection I never had much interest in trying back then was Alan Wake, though. Something about it seemed awfully boring to me at the time, and it's likely I just had different tastes in those days. After Alan's bizarre appearance in the Control DLC, however, my curiosity was finally piqued, and the remaster becoming a PS+ offering cemented my decision to give this weird third-person shooter a go at last. Alan, wake up.

Inspired by his idol, Stephen King, Alan Wake is a successful horror/thriller author suffering from an especially severe case of writer's block. Hoping to clear his head, Alan decides that a vacation to the quaint mining town of Bright Falls, Washington, is exactly what he and his wife need. Alan and Alice plan to relax at a scenic lakeside cabin there, but wouldn't you know it, Alan chose the one rural community in America where a malevolent entity known as the Dark Presence dwells beneath the lake, drawing power from the imagination of writers (including one victim before him, Thomas Zane), thus making every tragic event and horrible monster Alan commits to paper for his upcoming book a terrifying reality. Suddenly, his dream vacation becomes a nightmare straight out of his novels, as Alice soon goes missing and Alan is afflicted with acute amnesia, erasing a week from his memory. To rescue her from the clutches of the incomprehensible Dark Presence, Alan must collect the strewn manuscript pages he doesn't even remember typing, and ultimately rewrite the story with a happier outcome. Alan finds himself wishing he was more like the capable protagonist of his books, Alex Casey, but in truth, he's merely an ordinary man, so it won't be easy to triumph over darkness itself. If you enjoy these "idyllic small town with dark secrets and mysteries" settings (Deadly Premonition, for instance), Alan Wake certainly has that vibe going for it. The quirky supporting characters aren't developed significantly, though, with the focus being firmly on Alan's long journey through the night to redemption.

Actually, the characterization leaves a lot to be desired in general. Besides the cast of expected small-town stereotypes, Alan's thoroughly annoying agent from New York, Barry, tags along as a sidekick occasionally, and I simply can't understand why so many players seem to be fond of this guy. He's basically a Joe Pesci stand-in, constantly shrieking at "ALLLLLLLL" to do stuff, and spouting jokes that probably weren't even funny in 2010, which is quite distracting when you're in the midst of solving the simple puzzles or fighting enemies. Then, there's Alan's poor wife, Alice, whom he often treats like garbage for no apparent reason, although he does enjoy staring at her butt in one scene, after needlessly snapping at her. She spends nearly the entire game as a half-naked damsel in distress, desperate for her heroic husband to save her from the darkness. It's really a bit creepy, but thankfully, Sam Lake's portrayal of women has massively improved since this game was originally released. Jesse Faden is light-years ahead of this schlock.

Speaking of Lake, I'm certain I've previously mentioned (in an old post about Control, I believe) how his style of storytelling has never particularly appealed to me. Sam delights in presenting narrative fever dreams, full of non-linear plot elements, red herrings, meta nonsense, and events left up to interpretation. Personally, I'll take a more straightforward story over his confusing mélanges any day, but I also can't deny that Remedy's games are always a wild ride worth experiencing. I was definitely left wanting to see more of the peculiar universe wherein Control and Alan Wake take place, at least. It's a bit of a shame that playing Control's DLC ahead of time revealed the happenings of Alan Wake to have been a real "Altered World Event," as this invalidates the interesting possibility that Alan is just an unreliable narrator, lost in grandiose delusions following his wife's disappearance. One aspect I rather appreciated, however, is the strong relatability of what Alan goes through. For writers and creative people generally, many of the struggles he describes ring true. Indeed, we're often our own worst enemies and critics.

Frantically charging through gloomy forest surroundings in search of the means to save Alice, with only the narrow shaft of his flashlight beam and the moon providing illumination, Wake is continually assaulted by what he names the "Taken." These may resemble ordinary townspeople—joggers, lumberjacks, miners, hunters, local police—but as fresh puppets of the Dark Presence, there's something decidedly off about them. Consumed by an almost hivemind desire to kill Wake, they now wield the tools of their trade as lethal weapons, doggedly pursuing him while shouting mundane phrases out of context. Creepy! Wake's only sanctuary is found beneath overhead streetlights and such, where the unfortunate zombified citizens cannot follow, hence the superior strategy is often to run past foes to the next checkpoint, rather than wasting ammunition.

The Taken are protected by an aura of malicious darkness, making them impervious to harm from firearms, unless it's first burned away by a light source. Strangely, Alan discovers that he has the ability to "boost" the light emitted from his flashlight (which can later be swapped for a more effective, heavy-duty lantern), focusing the light on his assailants to both temporarily blind them and gradually eat away at their shields. The batteries necessary to accomplish this are plentiful, so there's no need to conserve them, I found. Sometimes, a murder of Taken crows or random possessed objects must be fended off by the light, as well, which frankly came off more like a silly irritation than anything threatening. Standing around shining your light on SCARY possessed gates until they "die" is surely one of the game's low points.

Once their defenses are removed, you'll use Alan's limited arsenal of weapons to dispatch the countless Taken. His revolver is a solid option for most encounters, while the two shotguns or a hunting rifle (Alan can only carry one long gun at a time) are more appropriate for bringing down the burly Taken types, such as chainsaw-wielding lumberjacks. When the situation gets especially dire, with Taken encroaching from all sides, it's time to pull out the flare gun to eliminate multiple baddies at once with a satisfying, slow-motion explosive shot. Similarly, flashbang grenades are available to destroy multiple foes simultaneously, or if you'd rather bypass them, Wake can ignite a road flare defensively, holding every enemy around him at bay for a while. The guns are all useful, albeit the shotguns feel somewhat wimpy, both sound-wise and from a damage standpoint.

The Taken are agile, though, and will typically get in a few swings, despite your best efforts. To avoid strikes and thrown weapons, Alan can dodge at the last moment for a cinematic evasion maneuver, which comes in handy for survival throughout. Aggravatingly, enemies love to sneak up and hit you from off-screen, making it a wise idea to preemptively press the dodge button whenever you suspect someone's behind you. Many times, you'll trigger a lucky dodge, preventing some cheap damage. Louder Taken noises would've been appreciated here, to better clue the player in on their positions. That's the gist of what you'll do in this game, albeit there are a few basic puzzles to deal with, such as moving a bundle of logs up and down with a crane to create a makeshift bridge.

On the whole, I wouldn't say it's a particularly scary game, sadly. While intimidating at first, the Taken quickly become familiar, predictable, generic dudes for you to blast by the dozens, and the lack of enemy variety is painfully apparent long before the game concludes. I would liken it to stuff such as Dead Space or the classic RE4: essentially an action-packed TPS with horror aesthetics. Hopefully, the sequel leans further into frightening elements, and offers more than a shooting gallery of angry guys with knives. Still, the combat gameplay is solid enough to carry the experience for the most part, and it's usually fun to engage with the human enemies, even if the birds and poltergeist objects are pretty lame. Much of the traversal from one place to another just feels like filler content, however, especially the clunky driving sections.

Yes, there are occasional "open-world" sorts of areas, allowing Alan to commandeer various vehicles and speed to his next destination. Along the way, you'll blind Taken with the headlights and run them over, which is undeniably satisfying. That said, the cars don't exactly control well, so it's common to collide with some miniscule obstacle or uneven terrain, leaving you flipped over or otherwise stuck, until the Taken swiftly approach to render your vehicle inoperable with their attacks. Usually, this results in a game over, since these segments are meant to be navigated via car, and Wake stands little chance on foot. The worst thing about driving, though, is how the camera immediately swings to look backwards whenever you reverse, whether you want it to or not. Quite disorienting, I must say. Sure, they contribute some gameplay variety, I suppose, but these bits really didn't need to exist.

A number of other dated design aspects both baffled and frustrated me, too. The worst of them by far is the game's infuriating insistence on frequently pulling control away from the player, abruptly shifting the camera view to show spawning enemies, an NPC companion, puzzle elements, or Alan's destination. I swear it does this every ten steps, and it's terribly jarring, ruining the flow of gameplay. Worse, under some rare circumstances, it's possible to be hit while the camera's doing its dumb gimmick, which is unacceptable. Why they did this is beyond me; I'm not an idiot, and I don't need to be shown these things by force. Moreover, I realize that writing isn't the most active way to make a living, but Alan really ought to step away from his desk for some exercise from time to time. This grumpy asshole can't sprint for five seconds without slowing down to huff and puff, which is obviously a real drag when you're just trying to get somewhere fast, not to mention a constant hindrance when fleeing from the Taken. Somehow, they've managed to create a character who's in worse shape than I am, adding nothing but tedium to the game. Please, dispense with this mechanic entirely in the sequel, if you have any decency, Remedy.

Additionally, I could do without collecting 100 completely pointless coffee thermoses, but I will give plenty of deserved credit for how creatively they implemented the manuscript collectibles. Each page is narrated by the dulcet tones of Alan's voice actor, foreshadowing future events and revealing hints about how to handle the next challenge. It truly feels like the story he wrote is coming to life before your eyes. Gotta be among the cleverest collectible integrations I've ever seen, and possibly my favorite facet of this game.

As for the two included DLCs... eh, they're not great. The Signal has a tendency to crash during the ending sequence, robbing you of the deathless trophy, so I had to experiment with a bunch of workarounds to even finish it properly. The most important of them seemed to be pausing the game to let it load in specific areas, until my PS4 stopped sounding like a jet engine. What a tremendous waste of my time, and on a Pro model no less, so I can only imagine how poorly it runs on a base PS4. On the other hand, The Writer was stable, but for some godforsaken reason, they decided that putting lots of platforming in their janky horror game was a stroke of genius. 3D platforming can be difficult to do well, even in a bespoke platforming game, so this was ill-advised.

Clearly, it's Alan's self-hatred that encourages him to stroll off the edges of platforms after a jump, with no input from the player whatsoever. Inexplicably, it seems that he can also collide with invisible geometry in midair, causing him to plunge straight to his well-deserved doom. Furthermore, because sprint and dodge are mapped to the same button, it's necessary to leave ample room between Alan and any edges when initiating a run-up to them, or he might dodge himself right off the ledge. It's all extremely stupid, with the tornado segment early on being unadulterated trash. Looking back, I feel like reading this paragraph in Squidward's frustrated voice is required to understand my true disdain for the DLCs. Yeah, they're kinda bad. I mean, I guess the new mechanic they introduce is okay. Essentially, floating words in the environment can be triggered with Alan's light for a variety of effects. For example, the word "boom" will create an explosion, annihilating any nearby Taken. 

Overall, it's definitely a game where the remaster treatment isn't enough to hide its 2010 origins entirely, but it was nonetheless worth playing to prepare for Alan Wake 2, which looks fantastic so far. Frustrating moments aside, I do find the crazy world of these games immensely fascinating, and will happily play more of them, despite my many complaints. Maybe I'll still tally my platinums in this thread on occasion, and who knows, the inspiration to write these might return eventually. Until then, I'll see you when I see you.

rkNoEU4I_o.jpg

I lifted the page in front of my eyes and read it. In it, I lifted the page in front of my eyes and read it. In it, I lifted the page in front of my eyes and read it. In it, I lifted the page in front of my eyes and read it. In it, I lifted the page in front of my eyes and read it. In it, I lifted the page in front of my eyes and read it.

Dude I hope to see back sometime but I understand health is king. Thanks for all your likes and for being a nice person.

• Like 4