Most Recent Platinum

Muff

25 minutes ago, slender_adrian said:

I finished FFXV story in 35 hours and I can say I really enjoyed it. I can't speak for FFXV vanilla since I've only played Royal Edition but I can say that Royal Edition is pretty good, but is nowhere near to other FF games in quality lets be honest.

The plat is another feat on its own, but I think completing the story in 35 hours deserves more recognition... I have no idea how you managed it! I was 30 hours into Final Fantasy 15 and I still had no idea what the game is about (I barely remember the main cast of character's names), so I stopped caring about it altogether, lol. It is definitely up there for me on worst FF experiences, I almost certainly will not be revisiting the game. You must have skipped past all of the side content and cleared through the main quests first?

• Like 4

10 hours ago, slender_adrian said:

Hahaha thanks! Did you play Royal Edition or the Vanilla game? Royal Edition adds more to the story and parts to the game. Of course you need to watch the movie first to understand what is going on, which sucks but you can see it as a big intro hahaha if I hadn't watched the movie I would also be lost hahaha. Well it's a shame you didn't like the game and the characters but I understand. I didn't skipped past all side content, neither I rushed the game hahahaha I had at least 30 side quests done before the last chapter, as for the hunts, well you basically have to do them if you want to level up and earn gil, so I had a few cleared also, but I stopped doing them when I felt the game became easier than it is hahaha.  

Yup, I have the Royal Edition - which, by the way, basically eliminated all challenge from the game because it enabled me to immediately equip the invincibility armour for the entire party, as well as all of the bonus content weapons that allowed me to shred through level 40 behemoths (the ones that spawn in the open world at night) and level 20+ soldier patrols (which regularly fly overhead as you're exploring) as a level 8. Because I was basically indestructible, it meant I was not diversifying in combat at all. I would just repeatedly use the same attacks over and over, which did the job pretty easily on anything I encountered. As a result, I suppose this added more pressure into the exploration and narrative aspects of the game, to really impress me because the gameplay was the same few buttons for me. As I said, I got 30 hours into it all but I hadn't done anything main quest-related since the prologue... The moment the open world was available to me, I began exploring and clearing side content (which this game has plenty of, as expected from a FF game). I earned the gold trophy for unlocking 100 skills in the many skill trees before even starting the first, proper main quest lol.

Nothing I just mentioned is particularly negative, and I understand I could have simply unequipped all of the Royal Edition gear for a better gameplay experience, but it really irked me that I had gotten 30 hours into a game and still had no idea what it was all about. If I may compare, I had just completed the original FF7 before I started playing 15 and in comparison, when I reached the 30-hour mark in that game, I was already knee-deep into the narrative and formed strong bonds with all of the party members.

I didn't watch the FF15 movie, though, nor the anime. I suppose some things I could have done differently to enjoy the experience at least slightly more. I did watch my sister play through a partial playthrough before I began my own, and therefore already knew some of the bigger story arcs - even so, I was excited to play them out myself... Alas, I don't think I will be picking this game back up. It's just one of those situations, y'know, when you have too many new games to play that revisiting one I didn't really like at all seems a bit unproductive.

I don't typically play JRPGS (I actually go out of my way to avoid them, usually) and despite playing a few of them, I have only ever finished one FF game (the original 7), but they always seem to throw a lot at you in similar ways FF15 did. I feel like with other RPGs (Skyrim, Dragon Age, Kingdoms of Amalur, etc.) they do a good enough job of introducing the central character(s), the main conflict and the world you are about to enter - THEN throw you into the open world. You are then able to explore and complete side content knowing, at least slightly, what you are up against (and I love doing this, exploring and clearing side content before the main quest). I feel that FF15 approached this oppositely - perhaps for those who didn't watch the movie, it throws you into this world with very little prior explanation, and it expects you to complete all of this side content (and care about it) - this didn't sit right with me, but again, I don't typically play JRPGs so I'm unaware if this is their usual formula.

• Like 4